Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I'm Pro Choice - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: I'm Pro Choice (/Thread-I-m-Pro-Choice)

Pages: 1 2

I'm Pro Choice - bfine32 - 06-12-2019

When it comes to this issue:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-12/urgent-maine-becomes-8th-state-to-legalize-assisted-suicide

Quote:Maine legalized medically assisted suicide on Wednesday, becoming the eighth state to allow terminally ill people to end their lives with prescribed medication.

Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, who had previously said she was unsure about the bill, signed it in her office.

"It is my hope that this law, while respecting the right to personal liberty, will be used sparingly," said Mills.

I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose the way they say goodbye.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - NATI BENGALS - 06-13-2019

I agree. I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose what they do with their own body.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Benton - 06-13-2019

My wife was a hospice nurse for a few years. I always admired her co-workers who understood the aspects of preparation, self respect and some measure of control for the recipients. Usually the only issue came from family members who weren't ready to say goodbye

I don't have any issue with terminally ill people having control of their final days

RE: I'm Pro Choice - BakertheBeast - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I agree. I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose what they do with their own body.
I was thinking the same thing.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - CJD - 06-13-2019

Do Life Insurance companies terminate your claim if you commit assisted suicide?

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Vas Deferens - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 02:05 AM)Benton Wrote: My wife was a hospice nurse for a few years. I always admired her co-workers who understood the aspects of preparation, self respect and some measure of control for the recipients. Usually the only issue came from family members who weren't ready to say goodbye

I don't have any issue with terminally ill people having control of their final days

If everyone had a standing living will, well before any medical issues arose, it would have a tremendously positive impact on the healthcare system.  Like you said, its often family members who arent ready to say good bye.  Having that document and carrying out ones wishes not to be on life support in non-viable situations would save billions.  

RE: I'm Pro Choice - SunsetBengal - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 10:20 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: If everyone had a standing living will, well before any medical issues arose, it would have a tremendously positive impact on the healthcare system.  Like you said, its often family members who arent ready to say good bye.  Having that document and carrying out ones wishes not to be on life support in non-viable situations would save billions.  

Dr. Kevorkian was ahead of his time.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Arturo Bandini - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I agree. I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose what they do with their own body.

This is like a free speech times 1000 right ? 

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Mike M (the other one) - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I agree. I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose what they do with their own body.

Right because these two situations are so similar. I don't ever recall a zygote saying "hey terminate me" do you?

RE: I'm Pro Choice - NATI BENGALS - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 11:56 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right because these two situations are so similar. I don't ever recall a zygote saying "hey terminate me" do you?

Idk. Ive only ever had turds growing in my body. I always get rid of them. I let other people decide what to do with the stuff growing in their body.

(06-13-2019, 11:56 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Right because these two situations are so similar. I don't ever recall a zygote saying "hey terminate me" do you?

You right.  Faculty is a prerequisite to the communication of volition.   Zygotes are devoid of both.  

RE: I'm Pro Choice - bfine32 - 06-13-2019

Cool, this is turning into another abortion thread

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 08:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Do Life Insurance companies terminate your claim if you commit assisted suicide?

My understanding is yes, any type of suicide invalidates your life insurance.  As to the topic of the thread, I couldn't agree more.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Goalpost - 06-13-2019

I have no problem with a patient deciding themselves. As long as the diagnosis is clear. In a way we already allow people to decide for others. My father was dying in January from end phase dementia, and we declined a feeding tube. We assisted, knowing he didn't want to live that way.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - CJD - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 01:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My understanding is yes, any type of suicide invalidates your life insurance.  As to the topic of the thread, I couldn't agree more.

That's what I am worried about.

To me, the topic of the thread is a given. I think the thing to go after is the insurance companies who expect you to die against your will in order for your family to get the payout.

(06-13-2019, 01:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My understanding is yes, any type of suicide invalidates your life insurance.  As to the topic of the thread, I couldn't agree more.

Not always the case.  Really depends on the specific policy, but many have a 2 year suicide clause where payouts will not occur if the suicide takes place within 2 years of the origination, but are eligible after that.  

Its really a mute point.  If someone is in that dire of states, they were probably going to die 'naturally' sometime in the near future.  If they were eligible for a policy payout in natural death, it could be argued the manner in which they cease living is without consequence.  

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Mike M (the other one) - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 02:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Not always the case.  Really depends on the specific policy, but many have a 2 year suicide clause where payouts will not occur if the suicide takes place within 2 years of the origination, but are eligible after that.  

Its really a mute point.  If someone is in that dire of states, they were probably going to die 'naturally' sometime in the near future.  If they were eligible for a policy payout in natural death, it could be argued the manner in which they cease living is without consequence.  

Correct, once past the contestability stage, most policies will pay out even if self suicide or physician assisted suicide. Under 2 years and they will investigate every detail of the application and make sure you weren't lying about anything and if you did then they will deny or pay less depending on the lie. If no lies, then it's still possible to get the full payout.

It's Medical insurance that won't always cover when it's self inflicted harm.

At least that's my understanding of it

RE: I'm Pro Choice - Belsnickel - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cool, this is turning into another abortion thread

In all seriousness, what did you expect? By making the title of the thread what you did, you invited the comparison and devolution of the thread.

RE: I'm Pro Choice - bfine32 - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 04:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In all seriousness, what did you expect?

Apparently, too much

RE: I'm Pro Choice - fredtoast - 06-13-2019

(06-12-2019, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When it comes to this issue:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-12/urgent-maine-becomes-8th-state-to-legalize-assisted-suicide

I have no idea how anyone could be opposed to a person's Right to choose the way they say goodbye.

But just to be clear, you think it should be illegal for a pregnant woman to be allowed to kill herself, right?