Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-News-Notes-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Thanks for the updates Holic and McC and whoever else has been updating. Been reading them but was out of town last week again and don't like posting on my phone. Hope Ross gets healthy and on track with Dalton for heck sake. Getting tired defending the guy. I do think our Offense will be much better this year regardless as long as the O-line plays okay. Definitely think the Defense will be much better than last season. Exciting times, football is back baby.

Wink

Yep, optimism in spite of concerns, we are 0-0 baby  Tongue   ThumbsUp   Wink

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - The Caped Crusader - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 12:08 PM)McC Wrote: From yesterday's practice--

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-band-on-the-run

A few things--

The offense got their manhood back against the defense yesterday.

Jeff Driskel having a very good camp.  Hitting on about 80% of his passes, which seems a far cry from his scatter gun passing last year.

John Ross day to day, says he is ready to go but coaches being cautious with him.

Josh Malone making plays but still struggling some with consistency.

This.

Buddy of mine went.

Said the offense looked sharp. Dalton was hitting dimes. Protection looked better. Ball moved well. He said they ran a lot of stuff he hasn't seen from us before (obviously). So, I'm getting some more hope.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Synric - 08-03-2019

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 08:15 PM)Synric Wrote:

Offense looking pretty good today.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - rfaulk34 - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: but I think any DB who can play man can play zone.

It's not that easy. If you're used to lining up, turning your hips and running with a guy, mirroring his moves...then you're asked to back off a couple steps, backpeddle, let that receiver go sometimes and cover a larger section of field, that's a completely different game.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Whodey614 - 08-03-2019

Not sure if it's by design to keep Dalton moving in the pocket but Miller and Price didn't look so good in pass protection in some of those videos. Would mention Hart also but that is what it is.

Hopkins looked pretty solid, though. I'll wait for real football snaps to be played but if Westerman or Jerry is good enough to play LG, we should put Hopkins at RG.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 08:55 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Not sure if it's by design to keep Dalton moving in the pocket but Miller and Price didn't look so good in pass protection in some of those videos. Would mention Hart also but that is what it is.

Hopkins looked pretty solid, though. I'll wait for real football snaps to be played but if Westerman or Jerry is good enough to play LG, we should put Hopkins at RG.

That could be because Billings, Geno, and Dunlap are pretty good defensive linemen...  They make a lot of pros look bad at their jobs.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - pally - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 08:55 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Not sure if it's by design to keep Dalton moving in the pocket but Miller and Price didn't look so good in pass protection in some of those videos. Would mention Hart also but that is what it is.

Price is a week behind everyone else right now...things should improve with reps

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - NKURyan - 08-03-2019

That end zone catch Boyd made today (the video was posted to Bengals social media) was pretty awesome. Chad-like in his toe tapping!

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-04-2019

(08-03-2019, 12:08 PM)McC Wrote: From yesterday's practice--

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-band-on-the-run

A few things--

The offense got their manhood back against the defense yesterday.

Jeff Driskel having a very good camp.  Hitting on about 80% of his passes, which seems a far cry from his scatter gun passing last year.

John Ross day to day, says he is ready to go but coaches being cautious with him.

Josh Malone making plays but still struggling some with consistency.

Except where he was pick 6ed by Germain Pratt yesterday..

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/03/germaine-pratt-highlight-family-dey-praised-teammates/?fbclid=IwAR1_WULbq8FrUjSDPEJZW7dtI8qicqr3Mh4EXrbLJsNEM9S5kYgvwt-0Fj0

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SHRacerX - 08-04-2019

(08-03-2019, 08:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not that easy. If you're used to lining up, turning your hips and running with a guy, mirroring his moves...then you're asked to back off a couple steps, backpeddle, let that receiver go sometimes and cover a larger section of field, that's a completely different game.

Agreed, but if you are going to invest heavy in the CB position on guys that can play man (3 first round picks) and not so much the LB position (a bunch of 3rd rounders and later) then it makes more sense.  

The description in Au's graph were you scroll all the way down to the laughably described MOFO defense, where the team is set up to give nothing over the top and keep everything in front of them...that was where the Bengals were top 5.  And I think the real problem wasn't so much the scheme, but the guys played SO SCARED to get beat deep...like that was the only thing that would get them benched, that it was a disaster.  Way too easy for today's QBs.

A few years ago, QB play was suffering and the Bengals managed to have 5 INTs against EACH TEAM from the NFC North.  Yep, 5.  They were playing off coverage, but the QBs they were playing were pathetic.  Relying on today's QBs to make horrible throws that are essentially 10 yards down the field at the most is just plain stupid.  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Sled21 - 08-04-2019

(08-03-2019, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I could see a problem asking a guy who only played zone to play press man on the line of scrimmage, but I think any DB who can play man can play zone.

Not necessarily, Will Jackson is awesome in man coverage, but struggled with zone his first 2 years, which is why he could not surpass Jones in the starting lineup.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Au165 - 08-05-2019

(08-04-2019, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed, but if you are going to invest heavy in the CB position on guys that can play man (3 first round picks) and not so much the LB position (a bunch of 3rd rounders and later) then it makes more sense.  

The description in Au's graph were you scroll all the way down to the laughably described MOFO defense, where the team is set up to give nothing over the top and keep everything in front of them...that was where the Bengals were top 5.  And I think the real problem wasn't so much the scheme, but the guys played SO SCARED to get beat deep...like that was the only thing that would get them benched, that it was a disaster.  Way too easy for today's QBs.

A few years ago, QB play was suffering and the Bengals managed to have 5 INTs against EACH TEAM from the NFC North.  Yep, 5.  They were playing off coverage, but the QBs they were playing were pathetic.  Relying on today's QBs to make horrible throws that are essentially 10 yards down the field at the most is just plain stupid.  

The problem was communication and pattern matching rules. If you go back and reread what Marvin was saying when he fired Austin he mentioned how complicated he made everything. When you see guys running free and players looking at each other it is because they each saw something different and played the coverage differently. When Marvin came in he simplified the rules.

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - yellowxdiscipline - 08-05-2019

How has Sample looked?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - SHRacerX - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 08:36 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: How has Sample looked?

There was a small interview with Lapham and Hoard after Family Day and Lap was praising his blocking and saying how physical he looked on the outside.  He said there were even a few "pancakes".  

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Luvnit2 - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was a small interview with Lapham and Hoard after Family Day and Lap was praising his blocking and saying how physical he looked on the outside.  He said there were even a few "pancakes".  

I love pancakes, now I am hungry.  Tongue

For some football!  Wink

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - XenoMorph - 08-05-2019

I would say if Hopkins is good LG  Westerman I think makes a better RG...  correct me if im wrong LG pulls more often and RG is generally N/S

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Au165 - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 10:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would say if Hopkins is good LG  Westerman I think makes a better RG...  correct me if im wrong LG pulls more often and RG is generally N/S

That is the old belief, but anymore similar to RT/LT you go both ways now so you ask a lot from both sides. Not sure how much pulling we will be doing anyways as the scheme is outside zone if it's similar to the Rams, but tough to say until we some actually plays. 

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nately120 - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 09:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love pancakes, now I am hungry.  Tongue

For some football!  Wink

Pancakes are good, but I'm of the same mindset of Dave Dameshek when he says why eat pancakes in a world where waffles exist?

RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Nicomo Cosca - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 11:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Pancakes are good, but I'm of the same mindset of Dave Dameshek when he says why eat pancakes in a world where waffles exist?

He obviously never had the pancakes at First Watch.

But to further complicate things, French toast is pretty damn good too...