Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Chief's PS game - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Chief's PS game (/Thread-Chief-s-PS-game)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Chief's PS game - PDub80 - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 08:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The haters are going to hate. AD was great last night. He missed a TD throw by about 1 yard, it happens. But great news is Malone looked great getting open and had a great night. As you stated AD overcame penalties and numerous 3rd down plays to get us on the endzone.

Great?! If you call that "great" you must think every time you drop a deuce without splashing yourself you did great.

Dude disgustingly - laughably, even - missed a wide open Malone for an easy TD. Malone stopped and sat there for what seemed like a day for the ball to get to him. And you call that "great". Pfffft! You said "by about a yard"... try 15+ yards because Malone had to wait and the DB caught up while that wounded duck fluttered to him. Ball should have been way way out in front.

Dalton was lucky Tate made a fabulous catch on another so-so throw to bail out the drive.

Missed stuff like that is why the Bengals need to move on at the position. Going into his 9th season, that throw should be on the money every time for a professional QB. Yet, here's inconsistent Andy yet again missing plays. The fact that that's even possible at this point in his career just screams out "not championship material".

Stop mistaking mediocrity for "great". My god.

RE: Chief's PS game - Sled21 - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 09:58 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Great?! If you call that "great" you must think every time you drop a deuce without splashing yourself you did great.

Dude disgustingly - laughably, even - missed a wide open Malone for an easy TD. Malone stopped and sat there for what seemed like a day for the ball to get to him. And you call that "great". Pfffft!

Dalton was lucky Tate made a fabulous catch on another so-so throw to bail out the drive.

Missed stuff like that is why the Bengals need to move on at QB. Going into his 9th season, that throw should be on the money every time for a professional QB. Yet, here's inconsistent Andy yet again missing plays.

Stop miataking mediocrity for "grest". My god.

First game of the pre-season, Andy is not used to recievers not named Green or Boyd generating separation, and they still took it down and scored on the 1st series. I'll take it.

RE: Chief's PS game - PDub80 - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First game of the pre-season, Andy is not used to recievers not named Green or Boyd generating separation, and they still took it down and scored on the 1st series. I'll take it.

Dude has 8 seasons under his belt. This wasn't a timing issue or a new offense issue. This was a simple pass to a wide open guy with tons of space to throw it into.

Excuse train keeps rolling in.

For what it's worth, I love the look of the new offense and think Andy can thrive in it, but my goodness, they can't make it any easier. He HAS to consistently be very very good. That was NOT.

RE: Chief's PS game - BengalsBong - 08-11-2019

Special teams was as bad as it gets two turnovers resulting in 14 points took two drives away from our offense. Simmons is trash should of been shown the door with Marvin.

Driskell is taking snaps away from our rookies and needs to be last on depth chart or released. Finley looked decent for a rookie that int looked bad but not like every QB in the NFL has not thrown one similar. Give both rookies Driskell's snaps and we might improve at backup QB.

The DC might set a record and get fired faster then last years DC if things don't change. The only hope here is that we have not been tackling in practice just wrapping up and calling the play dead. A few more preseason games might help with tackling but playing so far off the line with the DB is a mistake one we have lived before.

If John Jerry starts next week over Westerman after making all those penalties then the accountability thing is all BS. The only reason he should of been still in the game is if we gave this week to Jerry and next week to Westerman cause ZT does stick to his plans. John Jerry was not getting pushed back into Daltons lap but in a regular season game you got to pull a guy that is getting flags constantly to hold guys accountable.

Play action does not work if you can not run the ball this is a huge issue when your offense is built around the play action.

Not giving the DC job to a proven guy in the NFL might come back to bite us hard.

RE: Chief's PS game - bengalfan74 - 08-11-2019

Overall I wouldn't read to much into the big picture. 1st game under entire new coaching staff we all knew there would be a good bit of ironing things out.

However:

I hope they can find someone besides Driskel as our #2 QB. The guy just doesn't have it.

The defense needs a lot of work as does special teams. They'll get it under control. Let's see what happens Thursday night.

RE: Chief's PS game - grampahol - 08-11-2019

Unless this offense can score 40+ points per game I kind of doubt they're going anywhere this season except to a high position in next year's draft where they'll once again ignore the needs at LB and OL..Might as well look for someone who can punt balls 140 yards every time.. 

That's not to say I have no faith in them. I have all kinds of faith they'll lose more games than win games. meanwhile the Reds won 10-1 and Aquino hit 3 HR's and struck out the sides from right field.  ThumbsUp

RE: Chief's PS game - HarleyDog - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First game of the pre-season, Andy is not used to recievers not named Green or Boyd generating separation, and they still took it down and scored on the 1st series. I'll take it.

Yep. AD doesn’t deserve the criticism he receives sometimes. Learning receivers is not a flip the switch task many expect it to be. Exactly why these PS games are played, and like many others on here, I feel the game went much better than the final score.

We did get to witness a lot of mistakes that need addressed and they will fix those things. No reason for anyone to be discouraged just yet. The coaches have a pretty full plate but still plenty of time till regular season hits.

RE: Chief's PS game - THE PISTONS - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 10:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. AD doesn’t deserve the criticism he receives sometimes. Learning receivers is not a flip the switch task many expect it to be. Exactly why these PS games are played, and like many others on here, I feel the game went much better than the final score.

We did get to witness a lot of mistakes that need addressed and they will fix those things. No reason for anyone to be discouraged just yet. The coaches have a pretty full plate but still plenty of time till regular season hits.

Dalton is not great, but he's good enough to win.

Our management team hasn't won a playoff game since what 1991? That's where to look. It's the same albatross that Taylor is going to have to deal with.

RE: Chief's PS game - grampahol - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 10:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. AD doesn’t deserve the criticism he receives sometimes. Learning receivers is not a flip the switch task many expect it to be. Exactly why these PS games are played, and like many others on here, I feel the game went much better than the final score.

Yup...no reasons whatsoever.. They won the race to the bottom already!  ThumbsUp

(08-11-2019, 10:04 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude has 8 seasons under his belt. This wasn't a timing issue or a new offense issue. This was a simple pass to a wide open guy with tons of space to throw it into.

Excuse train keeps rolling in.

For what it's worth, I love the look of the new offense and think Andy can thrive in it, but my goodness, they can't make it any easier. He HAS to consistently be very very good. That was NOT.

We've seen this Dalton debate for 8 years. He has a good game and it's Take that haters! He has a bad game and it's See we were right! Dalton sucks!

Most of his games are somewhere in between.

(08-11-2019, 10:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Overall I wouldn't read to much into the big picture. 1st game under entire new coaching staff we all knew there would be a good bit of ironing things out.

However:

I hope they can find someone besides Driskel as our #2 QB. The guy just doesn't have it.

The defense needs a lot of work as does special teams. They'll get it under control. Let's see what happens Thursday night.

It's disturbing that guys like Billings look out of shape.

I wonder if doing an 'easier' training camp schedule is hurting this team. IF we were the Patriots, that's one thing. We're not.

RE: Chief's PS game - bengaloo - 08-11-2019

Just want to see improvement on all sides. I dont want to write the D off yet its still too early, but goodness they sucked last night. Granted it was their first game under a completely new system, and it was against one of the best offenses Ive seen in the last decade or so, but still looked bad bad.

They have a full game of tape to watch, and this is the first time theyve had that under the new coaches. Cant wait to see how they respond. The response is everything. Its more important than last nights final score at this stage for sure.

(08-11-2019, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The game was about what I expected. First year coach with a totally new staff trying to find out what they have against a top tier team with an already in place staff, at their building. Did anyone really expect the win?
I thought the first team line protected Dalton pretty good, he seemed to have more time.
If Jerry can't get his penalties under control in the next game, LG needs to go to Westerman.
We have some really decent running backs in the back of the stable.
I'm not sure if Lou just put out a vanilla defense for this, but I was disappointed in the D all night.
Core looked like he maybe learned to catch the ball. Tate was solid. Malone is still spotty.
Can we drop the talk of Brandon returning punts over Erickson now?
I'm surprised there isn't already talk of replacing Fat Randy with the kid that was kicking last night. (I use Fat Randy as a term of endearment, not a slam)

Our main RB's rushed for less than 2 ypc. How can you say you saw talent in the RB stable?

RE: Chief's PS game - HarleyDog - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dalton is not great, but he's good enough to win.

Our management team hasn't won a playoff game since what 1991? That's where to look. It's the same albatross that Taylor is going to have to deal with.

Without getting into a debate in this thread on AD, I agree he’s good enough to win. He’s better than avg and one thing I’ve noticed over his time here is how his confidence and leadership skills have improved. Especially the last year.

As for the FO, that’s a tough one. We can hope things to be different (which we do year to year) and some things have changed for the better, but far from a FO comparison of the likes of New England and others alike. One of the biggest voids in our FO is the “win now” attitude. We just don’t seem to have that mindset like so many others do.

(08-11-2019, 10:20 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Just want to see improvement on all sides. I dont want to write the D off yet its still too early, but goodness they sucked last night. Granted it was their first game under a completely new system, and it was against one of the best offenses Ive seen in the last decade or so, but still looked bad bad.

They have a full game of tape to watch, and this is the first time theyve had that under the new coaches. Cant wait to see how they respond. The response is everything. Its more important than last nights final score at this stage for sure.

The disappointment is the Tackling didn't seem to improve nor did the LB's.

And it's not like the Chiefs gameplanned to make us look bad. Nor did the Chiefs play their starters very long.

You would expect our younger players to look atleast decent against theirs...yet we didn't.

But, preseason games are meaningless...It's just this looked a lot like last year.

(08-11-2019, 10:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Without getting into a debate in this thread on AD, I agree he’s good enough to win. He’s better than avg and one thing I’ve noticed over his time here is how his confidence and leadership skills have improved. Especially the last year.

As for the FO, that’s a tough one. We can hope things to be different (which we do year to year) and some things have changed for the better, but far from a FO comparison of the likes of New England and others alike. One of the biggest voids in our FO is the “win now” attitude. We just don’t seem to have that mindset like so many others do.

Yep. I still think we need more scouts. If teams like Pittsburgh and New England have 2 to 3 times as many scouts as us...we need to copy that model. People can tell me all day that you can subscribe to scouting services...but so do the Patriots and they have way more scouts.

Plus, the how we spend in free agency. The Bengals would rather sign 4 mediocre guys than 2 solid contributors. And I'm not talking go out and give a LB a $72 million contract. I'm talking go get LJ Fort.

They don't seem to do a good job of finding that younger guy who may have gotten some opportunities on another team and shined then was forced into a backup role when the starter returned. Diamonds in the ruff so to speak.

RE: Chief's PS game - bfine32 - 08-11-2019

Looks like that kicker has a strong leg. That FG got there very fast

RE: Chief's PS game - KillerGoose - 08-11-2019

It was a bit like I had expected. The offense looked fine, but the running game was disappointing. Price looked good, which is a good sign. Does anyone know how bad the injury to Trayveon williams was?

The defense was abysmal, which is also what I was expecting. Now, to be fair, it was the Chiefs. However, I don’t have much faith in Anarumo.

RE: Chief's PS game - RunKijanaRun - 08-11-2019

Grade for the entire game is a D which, coincidentally, is the team’s biggest concern.

O-line is also horrible, which should surprise absolutely no one. Special teams was an abomination.

Liked what I saw out of Finley and even though I’m a Driskel homer (Go Gators), I agree the writing is on the wall for him.

Trying not to overreact to a preseason game but that was flat ugly.

RE: Chief's PS game - impactplaya - 08-11-2019

as much as its painful to say Coach Lou is still learning as much as
the players are on defense.
thats why it would have been nice to land a Jack Del Rio or Rex Ryan
for this defense.
right now this defense is missing a true legit game changer
in the back 7. not simply a good starter but a player that can
become a star in this league.
this division is loaded with QBS that win on their legs or arm or
the ability to expose fundamental breakdowns by players.
but it needs to begin with Dunlap Atkins Lawson.
Carlos especially needs to turn in a career year. 7.5 sacks isnt good enough
anymore