Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 (/Thread-Texas-Mass-Shooting-part-30)

Pages: 1 2 3

Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - GMDino - 09-04-2019

I know there wasn't even a mention on this board of the latest unhinged white guy with a gun who shot and killed/injured multiple people over the weekend or the innocent victims but I wanted to share some insightful comments from elected officials in texas that I feel really bring the gun argument home.

First is war veteran Dan Crenshaw who opposes things like universal background checks because then he couldn't loan his guns to friends.  the implication being that they couldn't pass one so they couldn't get one themselves.

(I am CERTAIN that Dan will say he "meant" that if they needed one in a hurry and didn't have TIME for a background check before their important travel date.)

Next is Matt Schaefer.  He know that voting for any law won't help!  The only thing that will help is MORE PRAYER!  

https://people.com/politics/texas-lawmaker-matt-schaefer-slammed-mass-shooting-tweets/

Quote:Rep. Matt Schaefer, a Republican who represents District 6 in the Texas House of Representatives, spoke out on social media not long after authorities said a gunman killed seven people and injured 22 more during a shooting spree in Odessa and Midlands on Saturday.

“’Do something!’ is the statement we keep hearing. As an elected official with a vote in Austin, let me tell you what I am NOT going to do. I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texas. Period,” he wrote, arguing that no proposed solutions would stop “a person with evil intent.” (Experts say otherwise.)

Schaefer continued, writing that he said “NO” to the following: no to red flag pre-crime laws, universal background checks, bans on assault rifles and high-capacity magazines and mandatory gun buybacks — thought several of these policy changes are broadly supported by Americans, if not Schaefer’s constituents.

Instead, he wrote that the country must say “YES” to the following in order to try to ward off further bloodshed: yes to praying for victims, praying for protection, praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent and to discipline in the homes, among other things.

“YES to your God-given, constitutionally protected rights,” Schaefer wrote. “YES to God, and NO to more government intrusions.”

His statement quickly drew backlash from those who questioned how emotional appeals, however well-meaning, could be effective in stopping someone from committing a crime.

“My aunt prayed for protection before she was murdered in a courthouse shooting. Are you saying she just didn’t pray hard enough or…..?” one Facebook user commented. 

People just need to pray harder!
We reap what we sow.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - jj22 - 09-04-2019

Republicans acting like God would be toting Guns and handing them out to disciples is why so many Evangelicals and people of the Religious right are heading straight to Hell.

But that's what they get for letting politics rewrite the Bible.

#JesusWept

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - michaelsean - 09-04-2019

In all fairness, I don't see anything about the unhinged black guy who shot up a high school football game either.

(09-04-2019, 09:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: I know there wasn't even a mention on this board of the latest unhinged white guy with a gun who shot and killed/injured multiple people over the weekend or the innocent victims but I wanted to share some insightful comments from elected officials in texas that I feel really bring the gun argument home.

First is war veteran Dan Crenshaw who opposes things like universal background checks because then he couldn't loan his guns to friends.  the implication being that they couldn't pass one so they couldn't get one themselves.

(I am CERTAIN that Dan will say he "meant" that if they needed one in a hurry and didn't have TIME for a background check before their important travel date.)

Next is Matt Schaefer.  He know that voting for any law won't help!  The only thing that will help is MORE PRAYER!  

https://people.com/politics/texas-lawmaker-matt-schaefer-slammed-mass-shooting-tweets/

People just need to pray harder!
We reap what we sow.

Yeah Clara Jeffrey just made up her own facts.  

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-04-2019

(09-04-2019, 11:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: In all fairness, I don't see anything about the unhinged black guy who shot up a high school football game either.

The vast majority of mass shootings, as the left likes to define them, are committed by black men.  You don't hear about anything other than evil white men, who are all racist btw.  I'd actually take the left's position on this issue seriously if they didn't continually lie to try and make their points.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Nately120 - 09-04-2019

(09-04-2019, 11:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The vast majority of mass shootings, as the left likes to define them, are committed by black men.  You don't hear about anything other than evil white men, who are all racist btw.  I'd actually take the left's position on this issue seriously if they didn't continually lie to try and make their points.

In regards to that Alabama football game shooter "no one is talking about" the NY Times, People, the Washington Post, CNN, and even the Huffington Post have reported on this and in some cases shared the shooter's mugshot even though he is 17 and that might be some sort of pseudo-issue since he's technically a minor.  All I'm saying is that the ultra-liberal asswipe rags posted something about it.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - GMDino - 09-04-2019

(09-04-2019, 11:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: In all fairness, I don't see anything about the unhinged black guy who shot up a high school football game either.

Very fair.

We apparently don't find these shooting newsworthy.

But also I didn't see anyone out there defending guns in the the football shooting.

(09-04-2019, 11:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah Clara Jeffrey just made up her own facts.  

No, she inferred.

She may be wrong, but as of right now Mr. Crenshaw has not elaborated on his "point" that he can't give a gun to someone if they have to go through a background check first.

(09-04-2019, 12:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In regards to that Alabama football game shooter "no one is talking about" the NY Times, People, the Washington Post, CNN, and even the Huffington Post have reported on this and in some cases shared the shooter's mugshot even though he is 17 and that might be some sort of pseudo-issue since he's technically a minor.  All I'm saying is that the ultra-liberal asswipe rags posted something about it.

And I don't see a big "he has a right to that gun" push in that story.  Or "don't take guns away" because of that story.

But hey some people see racism when a white guy is mentioned.  Mellow

(09-04-2019, 12:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, she inferred.

She may be wrong, but as of right now Mr. Crenshaw has not elaborated on his "point" that he can't give a gun to someone if they have to go through a background check first.

He doesn’t need to elaborate. She made something up.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-04-2019

(09-04-2019, 12:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In regards to that Alabama football game shooter "no one is talking about" the NY Times, People, the Washington Post, CNN, and even the Huffington Post have reported on this and in some cases shared the shooter's mugshot even though he is 17 and that might be some sort of pseudo-issue since he's technically a minor.  All I'm saying is that the ultra-liberal asswipe rags posted something about it.

I wasn't the one who commented on that story.  I honestly wasn't even aware of it.  I was talking about the generally promoted narrative.

Talking about here.

(09-04-2019, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wasn't the one who commented on that story.  I honestly wasn't even aware of it.  I was talking about the generally promoted narrative.

I'm pretty sure the narrative that black men are dangerous is making the rounds through our society.  But in all fairness, if liberals really want gun control then the narrative that black men are stockpiling guns has proven to be very effective in getting legislation passed.  So I guess they're just shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak.

(09-04-2019, 12:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He doesn’t need to elaborate. She made something up.

He needs to clarify why background checks would prevent him from giving a gun to someone.

Could be because they don't have time to get one.
Could be because they can't pass one.
Could be because if it was a law they'd have to do it first.

There might be other options too.

It was a done analogy on his part. He could have just said he opposes them because they don't work.

But the gist is he opposes universal background checks...he won't give a reason because he doesn't need one.  He's a republican in Texas.

But what he tweeted means he does indeed give guns to friends. I just hope they are qualified to use it. I'm sure he is very careful.

(09-04-2019, 12:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Talking about here.

Be the change in the P&R forum that you want to see in the P&R forum.

(09-04-2019, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Be the change in the P&R forum that you want to see in the P&R forum.

Everything else aside and COMPLETELY offtopic I didn't see that coming an literally laughed out loud! 

No offense Michael, just found that a funny comeback.  LMAO

(09-04-2019, 12:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: Everything else aside and COMPLETELY offtopic I didn't see that coming an literally laughed out loud! 

No offense Michael, just found that a funny comeback.  LMAO

Nah it was a good one.  Hilarious

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Benton - 09-04-2019

Maybe it's just the difference in what comes through our news feeds/social media, but I've seen several stories about the football game shooter and one (outside of this thread) about the Texas shooting. Unfortunately, a lot of the times the 'why isn't anyone talking about [insert event]' isn't the issue, it's the way we get our news that exposes (or prevents us from seeing) some things.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - GMDino - 09-05-2019

Mr. Crenshaw has responded!

It's the fault of the far-left who live in a bubble!

Aside from that he is still saying that if we had universal background checks he couldn't just give a gun to anyone without them getting a background check.

All seriousness aside:  What would happen to someone if they loaned a gun to someone for a long trip and they were stopped and police found said gun in their vehicle?  Honest question as I do not know the answer.

RE: Texas Mass Shooting part 30 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-05-2019

(09-04-2019, 12:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the narrative that black men are dangerous is making the rounds through our society.  But in all fairness, if liberals really want gun control then the narrative that black men are stockpiling guns has proven to be very effective in getting legislation passed.  So I guess they're just shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak.

I appreciate you acknowledging the historic racism inherent in gun control laws.  Seeing as how I am for any law abiding citizen owning the firearm of their choice this does not apply to me.  It does apply to today's gun control crowd who are now pushing the laughably absurd dangerous white man/racist trope.  The irony of the left's own definition of what constitutes a "mass shooting" actually showing that young black men are the primary perpetrators of such acts, as defined, by far has to be pointed out.