Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% (/Thread-This-Guy-Just-Raised-The-Cost-Of-An-HIV-Drug-By-5000)

Pages: 1 2 3

This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - GMDino - 09-22-2015

Yes, I know: Capitalism...free market...profits being "reinvested".

Got it.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/price-parasite-fighting-drug-jumps-1350-750-pill

Quote:Daraprim is used to fight a parasitic infection called toxoplasmosis, which is potentially life-threatening for people with weakened immune systems, such as those with AIDS or cancer. But just last month, the price shot up more than 5,000%, from $13.50 (£8.70) a tablet to $750 (£485) per pill, USA Today reported last week. That means the annual cost of the treatment could be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Toxoplasmosis is a leading cause of death by a foodborne illness in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The single-celled parasite Toxoplasma gondii infects most animals, though it only reproduces in cats. People become infected by consuming contaminated water or meat and unwashed fruits and vegetables, using contaminated knives and cutting boards, and coming into contact with the feces of infected cats. More than 60 million Americans carry the parasite yet very few show symptoms thanks to their immune systems. However, babies born to women infected while pregnant and anyone with a compromised immune system could suffer severe consequences: The parasite attacks the brain and can lead to seizures, blindness, or neurological damage.

Daraprim (which is the trade name for pyrimethamine) has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration since 1953. For decades, it was made by GlaxoSmithKline, which sold the U.S. marketing rights in 2010 to CorePharma, which was bought by Impax Laboratories last year. This latest price spike came last month, shortly after New York-based Turing Pharmaceuticals purchased exclusive rights to the drug.

The price increase could force hospitals to use alternative therapies without the same efficacy, The New York Times explained, and because of the price tag attached to “specialty” drugs, even patients with insurance might not be able to afford Daraprim.

In a joint letter to Turing earlier this month, the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the HIV Medicine Association urged the company to revise its pricing strategy: “This cost is unjustifiable for the medically vulnerable patient population in need of this medication and unsustainable for the health care system.” The annual cost of treating toxoplasmosis could be as much as $634,500, they calculated.

According to Turing founder and chief executive, Martin Shkreli, the company plans to use the money to develop better treatments for toxoplasmosis. He also said the drug is so rarely used, the impact on the health system would be minuscule. “This isn’t the greedy drug company trying to gouge patients,” Shkreli told The New York Times, “it is us trying to stay in business.” Turing spokesman Craig Rothenberg told USA Today that the company is working with hospitals and providers to get every patient covered, from free-of-charge options for uninsured patients to co-pay assistance programs, adding that “there has been no innovation in dealing with toxoplasmosis.”

Until last month, the Los Angeles Times reported, the six-week, two-pill-a-day course of Daraprim would have cost just $1,130.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - StLucieBengal - 09-22-2015

Easy fix.

Don't be careless.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - GMDino - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Easy fix.  

Don't be careless.

You either can't read or simply don't care about anyone but yourself.

Quote:Daraprim is used to fight a parasitic infection called toxoplasmosis, which is potentially life-threatening for people with weakened immune systems, such as those with AIDS or cancer.

Rock On

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-22-2015

It is a toxoplasmosis drug, not an HIV drug.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-22-2015

Don't be careless.

This is more uninformed than your usual.

(09-22-2015, 10:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is more uninformed than your usual.

Well for Lucy its all about "personal responsibility" so he saw "AIDS" and didn't need to read anymore since he knows that you can only get AIDS from making personal choices.  And if the drug they can use to help you suddenly goes up %5000 in a week...well you shouldn't have gotten sick anytime since 1953.

Smirk

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - CKwi88 - 09-22-2015

At first I was very suspicious about this whole thing, but apparently it's not even the first time the guy has done it.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - SteelCitySouth - 09-22-2015

This is the kind of guy that ends up getting shot by a family member of a person who died because of this. Not condoning it at all.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - Benton - 09-22-2015

They should probably raise it higher. I don't see how a company can survive off of $634,500 annually per customer for one of their products. I mean, it will take ten of them just to pay Shkreli's salary.

http://www1.salary.com/Martin-Shkreli-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-RETROPHIN-INC.html

Obviously that means the consumer — and health insurers — should be paying more.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - StLucieBengal - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: You either can't read or simply don't care about anyone but yourself.

Rock On

so I don't care about anyone else because I don't immediately jump on this guy for jacking up the price? If he has something unique then he should be able to charge what he likes. Maybe you would Be happier if the government bought the rights to it and then they could decide who gets the drug and who doesn't.

At least this guy will sell it to anyone.

Is it cold. Yes. But it's his right

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - SteelCitySouth - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 11:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: so I don't care about anyone else because I don't immediately jump on this guy for jacking up the price?    If he has something unique then he should be able to charge what he likes.   Maybe you would Be happier if the government bought the rights to it and then they could decide who gets the drug and who doesn't.  

Is it cold.  Yes.    But it's his right

Point out where anyone here indicated it wasn't his right to do so.  Also this has nothing to do with your first post or the rebuttal provided.  

(09-22-2015, 11:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: so I don't care about anyone else because I don't immediately jump on this guy for jacking up the price?    If he has something unique then he should be able to charge what he likes.   Maybe you would Be happier if the government bought the rights to it and then they could decide who gets the drug and who doesn't.  

Is it cold.  Yes.    But it's his right

Certainly its his right to profit over people.

But the drug has been around since 1953...they made their money on it.  This is just greed.  No other reason.  Just because he can doesn't mean he should...solely for profit purposes.

(09-22-2015, 11:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: so I don't care about anyone else because I don't immediately jump on this guy for jacking up the price? 

Your wrote, "Easy fix.  Don't be careless."

Explain how blaming the patient for being careless = immediately jumping on this guy for jacking up the price.

PS That's sarcasm.  My intended meaning is opposite the literal meaning.  I don't want an explanation.  I already know the answer.  Just a pre-emptive explanation so bfine isn't confused more than usual.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - GodHatesBengals - 09-22-2015

Don't be careless.

Would going to brothels--or more specifically, bringing your children to brothels--count as careless?

http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Transexual-threatens-to-send-a-fellow-show-guest-home-in-an-ambulance?pid=31156#pid31156

(09-22-2015, 01:52 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Would going to brothels--or more specifically, bringing your children to brothels--count as careless?

http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Transexual-threatens-to-send-a-fellow-show-guest-home-in-an-ambulance?pid=31156#pid31156

[Image: joan-snickers.gif?w=630]

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - Aquapod770 - 09-22-2015

This guy is a tool.

And that's being way too nice Mellow

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - GodHatesBengals - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 01:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: joan-snickers.gif?w=630]

*sigh*

I already miss Joan. And everyone else from MM.

RE: This Guy Just Raised The Cost Of An HIV Drug By 5000% - Nebuchadnezzar - 09-22-2015

Isn't there a generic form of this drug?

Just wondering because I thought drugs had a 20 year period where no one could make a generic form and after that time, any drug company could.

(09-22-2015, 12:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Certainly its his right to profit over people.

But the drug has been around since 1953...they made their money on it.  This is just greed.  No other reason.  Just because he can doesn't mean he should...solely for profit purposes.

Is he supposed to give it away? He will lower the price if he loses money. And If it's been around that long then where are the competitors? Maybe they will discount it for you.

I can't see why your even bothered by any of this,

like i said is he citizen of the year.... No. But hardly anything to be bothered about, when he loses money he will price it back .

(09-22-2015, 02:16 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Isn't there a generic form of this drug?

Just wondering because I thought drugs had a 20 year period where no one could make a generic form and after that time, any drug company could.

Exactly.