Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Finley after the bye week? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Finley after the bye week? (/Thread-Finley-after-the-bye-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Finley after the bye week? - fredtoast - 10-21-2019

(10-21-2019, 04:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You obviously don't even know what the 80% is in reference to.

You are 100% correct.

Post a link to the explanation.   

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Nicomo Cosca - 10-21-2019

(10-21-2019, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as I defend Dalton I would have no problem with taking a look at Finley.

This season is a complete loss.  Even when Andy engineers one of his great fourth quarter comebacks the defense just gives away the game.

It would be nice if he started playing before the 4th quarter once in a while...

RE: Finley after the bye week? - rfaulk34 - 10-21-2019

(10-21-2019, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are 100% correct.

Post a link to the explanation.   

Jake was talking about how much of a problem drops were in the game (and they certainly were a big problem). I had been talking about how Dalton was missing receivers and he brought up all the drops. This was my reply to him.

(10-20-2019, 09:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No, i didn't watch every single second of that game today...

Of course i did!

I'm not talking about drops. I'm talking about skipping the ball feet in front of receivers, throwing balls way over their heads, throwing balls behind them, throwing into double coverage. 

Drops; 1 thing
Other stuff; 4 things

So that's, 80% Dalton, 20% receivers.

So, what i was saying is, when Dalton throws the ball, there are 5 issues that arose.
1. drop
2. throwing short
3. overthrow
4. throws behind the receiver
5. throwing into double coverage

So, the probelm Jake was talkng about was only 20% of the overall problem (receivers dropping catchable balls). The other 4 things (80%) were on Dalton and his ball placement, in that game. 

(10-20-2019, 09:48 PM)Destro Wrote: Ha, if you don't think there's a bunch of one time back ups that didn't make it big, you have an issue. Here are some Bengal QBs ( I'm sure there are some people may disagree with ), that didn't make it big, IMO. Dalton and Palmer might be an argument. No SB starting QB or HOF rings for any of them. I got 19 names. There's 32 teams. Many teams older than the Bengals, some have more successful, long term QBs ( GB, SF, NE ), some have constant turnover ( CLE, HOU ). I'm sure 600 people have come off the bench and not been great starters in the 100 years in the league. Don't need to list them for it to be true, but that was cute.

Virgil Carter
Wayne Clark
John Reaves
Jack Thompson
Turk Schonert
Dave Walter
Adrian Breen
Donald Hollas
Erik Wilhelm
David Klingler ( actually had high hopes, myself )
Jeff Blake
Jay Schroeder
Paul Justin
Scott Mitchell
Jon Kitna
Gus Frerotte
Ryan Fitzpatrick
AJ McCarron
Jeff Driskel

If that was in reply to me, i counted. That's not 600 QBs.  Mellow

(10-21-2019, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even when Andy engineers one of his great fourth quarter comebacks the defense just gives away the game.

[Image: h3958048A]

RE: Finley after the bye week? - GreenCornBengal - 10-21-2019

I say keep Dalton in there and let him crumple the whole season. Then, when this season is over, you purge him and people will think it's the change that will help us win. Whether it really is or isn't, people will believe, and the next QB will be great. Even if he is worse than Dalton, he will be better in the fans eyes.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - bfine32 - 10-24-2019

It could have been worse. We could have used a 1st on Dwayne Haskins,

RE: Finley after the bye week? - bengalfan74 - 10-25-2019

(10-24-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It could have been worse. We could have used a 1st on Dwayne Haskins,

LOL yep

He needed another year, bad.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - jason - 10-25-2019

(10-21-2019, 10:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I say keep Dalton in there and let him crumple the whole season. Then, when this season is over, you purge him and people will think it's the change that will help us win. Whether it really is or isn't, people will believe, and the next QB will be great. Even if he is worse than Dalton, he will be better in the fans eyes.

Better to have false hope than no hope at all huh?

RE: Finley after the bye week? - RunKijanaRun - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 09:02 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: LOL yep

He needed another year, bad.

And apparently not wanting to draft nor play him is part of what cost Jay Gruden his job. 

RE: Finley after the bye week? - Nately120 - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 10:11 AM)jason Wrote: Better to have false hope than no hope at all huh?

We've run on a lot of false hope.  We were hoping Marvin could finally break through and win a playoff game if we took enough shots and got a favorable enough matchup and then it was hoping Dalton could get back to 2015 form and eventually it will be the new QB being able to carry this team up the mountain.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - PhilHos - 10-25-2019

(10-21-2019, 04:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hue Jackson went 0-16 in Cleveland before they fired him. 

Yes, he did. But Mike Brown does not own/manage the Cleveland Browns. He DOES own/manage the Cincinnati Bengals. Zac Taylor is not going for at least another year.

(10-21-2019, 10:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Jake was talking about how much of a problem drops were in the game (and they certainly were a big problem). I had been talking about how Dalton was missing receivers and he brought up all the drops. This was my reply to him.

So, what i was saying is, when Dalton throws the ball, there are 5 issues that arose.
1. drop
2. throwing short
3. overthrow
4. throws behind the receiver
5. throwing into double coverage

So, the probelm Jake was talkng about was only 20% of the overall problem (receivers dropping catchable balls). The other 4 things (80%) were on Dalton and his ball placement, in that game. 

Dalton is completing 60.1% of his passes this season.

(10-25-2019, 10:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We've run on a lot of false hope.  We were hoping Marvin could finally break through and win a playoff game if we took enough shots and got a favorable enough matchup and then it was hoping Dalton could get back to 2015 form and eventually it will be the new QB being able to carry this team up the mountain.

Think about the hope we had that Zac would get the most out of Dalton. *shivers*

RE: Finley after the bye week? - fredtoast - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 11:05 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Dalton is completing 60.1% of his passes this season.

His number has nothing to do with anything that happened on the field.  It is just a completely made up number.  He has zero idea how many of the incompletions were on Dalton and how many on the receivers.  And none of us can really know because we have no idea if the receivers are in the right spot or timing their routes correctly.

(10-25-2019, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: His number has nothing to do with anything that happened on the field.  It is just a completely made up number.  He has zero idea how many of the incompletions were on Dalton and how many on the receivers.  And none of us can really know because we have no idea if the receivers are in the right spot or timing their routes correctly.

Not to mention that sometimes a QB only has a small window in which to throw a pass; he might have to throw slightly behind a receiver or slightly low because that's the only place to put the ball. That's not to say Dalton hasn't had more than his fair share of bad passes this season. He's definitely thrown more bad passes this season than in any season that i can remember (and we're not even halfway through the season yet), but people talk like he's completing 25% of his passes and of those the receivers have to make crazy catches.

RE: Finley after the bye week? - rfaulk34 - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 11:05 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Dalton is completing 60.1% of his passes this season.

That's horrible.

(10-25-2019, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: His number has nothing to do with anything that happened on the field.  It is just a completely made up number.  He has zero idea how many of the incompletions were on Dalton and how many on the receivers.  And none of us can really know because we have no idea if the receivers are in the right spot or timing their routes correctly.

The facts of the matter are, "my number" has everything to do with actual throws. The completion percentage has nothing to do with the conversation because the point was missing receivers; short, high, behind, etc. vs drops. 

So, once again, i'm right and what i said is indisputable.  :andy:

(10-25-2019, 11:28 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Not to mention that sometimes a QB only has a small window in which to throw a pass; he might have to throw slightly behind a receiver or slightly low because that's the only place to put the ball. That's not to say Dalton hasn't had more than his fair share of bad passes this season. He's definitely thrown more bad passes this season than in any season that i can remember (and we're not even halfway through the season yet), but people talk like he's completing 25% of his passes and of those the receivers have to make crazy catches.

^ This post is full of silly 'Dalton excuses'.   Cool

(10-25-2019, 03:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's horrible.

I'd consider it average, but either way, he's still completing more passes than he's not.