Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Why not keep Andy as a backup? (/Thread-Why-not-keep-Andy-as-a-backup)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BacknDaDey - 04-27-2020

I have never seen a starting NFL QB with as many years as Dalton on one team, rework his contract, to be a backup to an incoming rookie QB. Maybe it has been done. I don't know. I just never heard of it.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Essex Johnson - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 08:09 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I have never seen a starting NFL QB with as many years as Dalton on one team, rework his contract, to be a backup to an incoming rookie QB.  Maybe it has been done.  I don't know.  I just never heard of it.

on the flipside i seen a QB go to a team as a backup and think What are they Thinking......

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 07:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy will accept it because it is his only choice.  He is under contract.

It is not like the situation in your hypothetical were I could just say "Screw you I am going to work for another company."

He can always retire.

But keeping him against his will kinda flies in the face of we will do right by you, doesn't it?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Benton - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 08:09 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I have never seen a starting NFL QB with as many years as Dalton on one team, rework his contract, to be a backup to an incoming rookie QB.  Maybe it has been done.  I don't know.  I just never heard of it.

Yeah, I don't know why he would. If he's not released, this is likely his last $17 million season. Even if he finds a starting spot next season somewhere else, it's probably going to be less than that.

Might as well get it while he can.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-27-2020

(04-27-2020, 09:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, I don't know why he would. If he's not released, this is likely his last $17 million season. Even if he finds a starting spot next season somewhere else, it's probably going to be less than that.

Might as well get it while he can.

He’s got plenty of money. I think a chance at starting somewhere (which he will not have here despite what Luvinit thinks) is more important to him.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-28-2020

(04-27-2020, 09:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s got plenty of money. I think a chance at starting somewhere (which he will not have here despite what Luvinit thinks) is more important to him.

Please show the board where I said AD will definitely be given the chance to start here or would start here
. I did list many possibilities it could happen, it may be an option. I would say the option is less than 30% of him staying and less to start, but it is still an option due to no risk to let him compete financially.

Why make up lies?

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Nicomo Cosca - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:
Please show the board where I said AD will definitely be given the chance to start here or would start here
. I did list many possibilities it could happen, it may be an option. I would say the option is less than 30% of him staying and less to start, but it is still an option due to no risk to let him compete financially.

Why make up lies?

You literally said like 37 times there might be a QB competition between Burrow and Dalton...

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Benton - 04-28-2020

(04-27-2020, 09:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s got plenty of money. I think a chance at starting somewhere (which he will not have here despite what Luvinit thinks) is more important to him.

Understood, but there's no guarantee hell start anywhere. There's always a risk you sign on and the team decides to play a younger guy over you, unless you're Tom Brady. So if he signs on the cheap somewhere and six games into the season the team stinks and decides to kick the tires on their backup, you just screwed yourself out of millions.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - fredtoast - 04-28-2020

(04-27-2020, 08:59 PM)McC Wrote: But keeping him against his will kinda flies in the face of we will do right by you, doesn't it?

This is why the NFL requires written contracts.

Both parties just do what they agreed to in the contract,

(04-28-2020, 12:43 AM)Benton Wrote: Understood, but there's no guarantee hell start anywhere. There's always a risk you sign on and the team decides to play a younger guy over you, unless you're Tom Brady. So if he signs on the cheap somewhere and six games into the season the team stinks and decides to kick the tires on their backup, you just screwed yourself out of millions.

If we cut him he’d at least have a chance to sign with a NE or JAX and compete for a starting job. Here it’s not even a remote possibility. It just depends what’s more important to him. He made it pretty clear last year he wants to remain a starting QB in the NFL, but you’re right it’s a lot of money. We’ll see how it plays out...

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - McC - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is why the NFL requires written contracts.

Both parties just do what they agreed to in the contract,

Come on.  This is not just some guy's contract.  This is not just some guy to them.  Or so they claim.

Making him  stay is not good for either side.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - Luvnit2 - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You literally said like 37 times there might be a QB competition between Burrow and Dalton...

So you admit you lied.

A suggestion something may happen is not saying it will happen, it was simply an option.

(04-28-2020, 09:39 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you admit you lied.

A suggestion something may happen is not saying it will happen, it was simply an option.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - spazz70 - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we cut him he’d at least have a chance to sign with a NE or JAX and compete for a starting job. Here it’s not even a remote possibility. It just depends what’s more important to him. He made it pretty clear last year he wants to remain a starting QB in the NFL, but you’re right it’s a lot of money. We’ll see how it plays out...

You cannot say that it is not even a remote possibility.  The reason...uncertainty about the season is number one.  There is not going to be a rookie camp in a couple of weeks already.  Voluntary camp is not far off and very questionable at this point.  IF things turn then Burrow may not even  be able to throw a pass to a receiver before training camp.  That is not going to work for with either party, Joe or the Bengals.

Secondly, It would not be the first time that the 1OA sat behind a vet for one year for the Bengals.  Though different circumstances it is not out of the realm of possibility today, under the current conditions.  They just spent a boatload in FA and are not going to waste a year of the other guys services with a rookie QB (no matter how promising) with no to little training camp, shortened pre-season or shortened season.

With that said and I do not know the time frame for it to be done but the only way I could see this financially possible is if Dalton re-structures his contract. Let's say 2 years, 15 million.  This gives us monies for cap and also room to move Andy later on if necessary as a team would not have his 17 million on the books.  Also, I would think that AJ's contract would need to be redone for it to work.

(04-28-2020, 10:45 AM)spazz70 Wrote: You cannot say that it is not even a remote possibility.  The reason...uncertainty about the season is number one.  There is not going to be a rookie camp in a couple of weeks already.  Voluntary camp is not far off and very questionable at this point.  IF things turn then Burrow may not even  be able to throw a pass to a receiver before training camp.  That is not going to work for with either party, Joe or the Bengals.

Secondly, It would not be the first time that the 1OA sat behind a vet for one year for the Bengals.  Though different circumstances it is not out of the realm of possibility today, under the current conditions.  They just spent a boatload in FA and are not going to waste a year of the other guys services with a rookie QB (no matter how promising) with no to little training camp, shortened pre-season or shortened season.

With that said and I do not know the time frame for it to be done but the only way I could see this financially possible is if Dalton re-structures his contract. Let's say 2 years, 15 million.  This gives us monies for cap and also room to move Andy later on if necessary as a team would not have his 17 million on the books.  Also, I would think that AJ's contract would need to be redone for it to work.

Is that why ZT has already asked Burrow to start picking his favorite plays from LSU to incorporate into our offense? Because that seems pretty clear to me who the starting QB for the Cincinnati Bengals is...

As for the bold, they’re also not going to waste a year of a QB on a rookie contract. It’s the most valuable thing in the league right now.

I can’t believe we’re even talking about this.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - BrownAssClown - 04-28-2020

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Munoz puts in his 2 cents on the Dalton situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bengals-legend-loves-burrow-says-154505529.html

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - offside - 04-28-2020

They have until two days after their final pre-season game to cut or trade Andy Dalton.

There is zero chance they can afford him as a backup, and it's laughable to suggest that he would be willing to take a pay cut to do it.

Unless a starting quarterback goes down in the pre-season, which is the Bengals' lottery-ticket only hope for trading him, expect Dalton to be cut sometime before August 30th.

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - spazz70 - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 05:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is that why ZT has already asked Burrow to start picking his favorite plays from LSU to incorporate into our offense? Because that seems pretty clear to me who the starting QB for the Cincinnati Bengals is...

As for the bold, they’re also not going to waste a year of a QB on a rookie contract. It’s the most valuable thing in the league right now.

I can’t believe we’re even talking about this.

It is a 5 year contract...  If there is no TC and a shortened preseason there is a chance that Dalton on a restructured contract could stay and be the starter...quit being silly...  He would be so far ahead of Burrow it is silly...  A 10 vet versus a rookie is not even close

RE: Why not keep Andy as a backup? - offside - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 10:06 PM)spazz70 Wrote: It is a 5 year contract...  If there is no TC and a shortened preseason there is a chance that Dalton on a restructured contract could stay and be the starter...quit being silly...  He would be so far ahead of Burrow it is silly...  A 10 vet versus a rookie is not even close

They will not, under any circumstances, keep Dalton beyond the expiration of his value as a lottery trade piece in case of a QB injury on another team.  

Even if Burrow gets hurt tomorrow, there is no upside to Andy Dalton in a Bengals uniform.  The Bengals don't need to win in 2020.  

(04-28-2020, 10:06 PM)spazz70 Wrote: It is a 5 year contract...  If there is no TC and a shortened preseason there is a chance that Dalton on a restructured contract could stay and be the starter...quit being silly...  He would be so far ahead of Burrow it is silly...  A 10 vet versus a rookie is not even close

Weren’t you one of the few posters here that wasn’t big on Burrow to begin with? I seem to remember some OSU sour grapes with you...

Anyway, Burrow is starting. Period. They’re already incorporating some of his LSU plays into our offense.

You. Guys. Have. To. Let. Dalton. Go. You would think the guy won us multiple championships the way some of you are holding on...