Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Coronavirus (/Thread-Coronavirus)

RE: Coronavirus - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 10:39 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

CT scans consistent with Covid-19? I’m really skeptical they had CT scans consistent with one specific type of virus. Especially a novel virus that is new. In order for a CT scan to be “consistent with” something you need to have seen that finding over and over and over and over . . . I doubt they’ve seen that volume of patients infected with the coronavirus to make such an association.

Added: God, I’m glad I don’t do Twitter. I clicked on that tweet and saw Andrew Goldman’s tweets. God, he is a bit of a drama queen. Is everyone one Twitter a drama queen? I think if they have the need to tweet out every thought that enters their head because they believe everyone else is interested in knowing every thought that enters their head then they gotta be a drama queen by default.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - Wes Mantooth - 03-12-2020

I can't believe I'm doing this to my own thread, but this thread needs to be locked up and removed from JN.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - coachmcneil71 - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 11:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I can't believe I'm doing this to my own thread, but this needs to be locked. Locked, shut down and burned.

I just got home from a show. At least let me read this mofo first!...lol.. If you want it locked, it must be rich. :)

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - jason - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 10:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do you really need for the NCAA to cancel all tournament games, in order to refrain from being a part of that crowded environment?  I mean, they could at least do like they did with the Arnold Sports Festival, last weekend.  They allowed no spectators, only athletes, coaches and family members to attend.  Sure, thousands of Strength sports fans were pissed off about it, but by and large, everyone understood.

No... I get it. I was personally fine with the no spectator aspect. It would have been weird, and momentum and things like that would suffer. Commentators like Marv Albert feed off of the crowd too, so it would've been a lil off. I didn't want it cancelled. I enjoy sports obviously, and it really just sunk in today that I can't view any... At all.

I just don't want any part of being in that environment at this very moment. More power to those that do though.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 11:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You say God gives you your news, I say you're full of shit. Your proof is your belief. Good luck with that.

You said sorry for what I'm going through . . . then in your next sentence said don't come crying to me.

Sorry I didn't praise you for your kindness as you completely missed the point.

Not going to attack you like you attack me. Good luck and I hope you feel better. ThumbsUp

(03-12-2020, 10:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just cypher through and find the truth.

It isn't hard in these times. When someone lies and it is proven a lie, you say hey, quit lying to me...

When someone lies to you time and time again, you turn to someone who has told you the proven truth, do you not?

A lot of people are dull no doubt...

You got a generator to run a pump and your hot water heater?

Hell no... Just guns to go get that toilet paper.

I'll throw in an lol to make it not sound so sinister.

Also... I don't anticipate the collapse of society. I think this is a fairly serious issue at this time, but I can't help but be amused by some reactions to it.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - Nately120 - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 12:00 AM)jason Wrote: No... I get it. I was personally fine with the no spectator aspect. It would have been weird, and momentum and things like that would suffer. Commentators like Marv Albert feed off of the crowd too, so it would've been a lil off. I didn't want it cancelled. I enjoy sports obviously, and it really just sunk in today that I can't view any... At all.

I just don't want any part of being in that environment at this very moment. More power to those that do though.

Methinks the risk is people who aren't at risk bringing the disease home to people who are.  Being in my 30s and in good shape for an american I could bravely face the virus but if I gave it to my wife's parents and they died she'd probably be somewhat upset with me.

RE: Coronavirus - BmorePat87 - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 11:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: CT scans consistent with Covid-19?  I’m really skeptical they had CT scans consistent with one specific type of virus. Especially a novel virus that is new. In order for a CT scan to be “consistent with” something you need to have seen that finding over and over and over and over . . . I doubt they’ve seen that volume of patients infected with the coronavirus to make such an association.

Added: God, I’m glad I don’t do Twitter. I clicked on that tweet and saw Andrew Goldman’s tweets. God, he is a bit of a drama queen. Is everyone one Twitter a drama queen?  I think if they have the need to tweet out every thought that enters their head because they believe everyone  else is interested in knowing every thought that enters their head then they gotta be a drama queen by default.

Twitter and Reddit are mostly garbage.

(03-13-2020, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Methinks the risk is people who aren't at risk bringing the disease home to people who are.  Being in my 30s and in good shape for an american I could bravely face the virus but if I gave it to my wife's parents and they died she'd probably be somewhat upset with me.

That's my fear too... My daughter is in preschool, and when I dropped her off today I ran into her mom's sister (she's a 3td grade teacher at the school). I asked her half jokingly "When are they gonna shut this down?". My fear being that my daughter picks it up, passes it to my 77 year old dad, my 70 year old mom, or even me... I smoked longer than I should have.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - Nately120 - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 12:13 AM)jason Wrote: That's my fear too... My daughter is in preschool, and when I dropped her off today I ran into her mom's sister (she's a 3td grade teacher at the school). I asked her half jokingly "When are they gonna shut this down?". My fear being that my daughter picks it up, passes it to my 77 year old dad, my 70 year old mom, or even me... I smoked longer than I should have.

Yeah, part of being cautious about this and actually giving a damn about society is realizing that even if you aren't personally at risk you could help save lives by playing it safe and not being a me-first d-bag.

I mean, who the hell would brag about being the modern-day version of the rat that carried the plague?  Actually, maybe it was the fleas on the rats that had the plague...either way.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - ezekiel23 - 03-13-2020

Over hyped?Possible.But this Coronavirus has our government officials,including our President scared to death for some reason.I mean,,,I haven’t seen anything even remotely close to these type of extreme measures they are taking in regards to this virus in my lifetime.Could it be that they actually know more than they are telling us?Who knows ? Time will tell.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - J24 - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 07:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Actually the category "Disney themed parks, "experiences" and products sold" outpaces every other category of revenue stream according to their financials I just looked at.  Media is a very close 2nd.

US themed parks and resorts produced over 20.2 billion dollars in revenue in 2018.

It's also a ridiculously high level of margin category too.

If that's not a "huge money maker for them" then I don't know what is.
They can easily survive it. It's not that big of deal to them it's a bigger psychological hit to the US psyche then it hurts Disney.

RE: Corona Thread (Serious Discussion) - J24 - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 07:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No advertiser (TV) guarantees money with no "out" clauses. No games = no money. Think of it this way, if Budweiser buys ads for a college BB tournament game and that game is not broadcast, Budweiser will be refunded 100% of their money. So, in the end, there is no money to give the NCAA if the product is depleted (games not played)

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5030297002

RE: Coronavirus - Vas Deferens - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 11:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Added: God, I’m glad I don’t do Twitter. I clicked on that tweet and saw Andrew Goldman’s tweets. God, he is a bit of a drama queen. Is everyone one Twitter a drama queen? I think if they have the need to tweet out every thought that enters their head because they believe everyone else is interested in knowing every thought that enters their head then they gotta be a drama queen by default.

Yes
(03-13-2020, 12:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Twitter and Reddit are mostly garbage.

Yes

Still makes the lack of testing *cough cough**heave heave**sweat and ache** disconcerting.

RE: Coronavirus - Belsnickel - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 12:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Twitter and Reddit are mostly garbage.

Yup. It's why I avoid the political stuff on both as much as possible. Just lots of talk about hunting, fishing, and being outside.

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 03-13-2020

I thought we were asked to not politicize this?  What is Trump doing?

Obviously I don't like Trump.  All the reasons why are in play during his awful handling of this virus spreading.

So...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1238434347612549120.html

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]
[Image: 7027112.jpg]
Morten Øverbye
@morten

[/color] Save as PDF

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Timeline of Trump's pandemic response:

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s global health security unit shut down. In April 2018, Trump fired the head of the DHS epidemic team. Neither team was rebuilt.

The number of countries the CDC was working in was reduced from 49 to 10. 

Trump on January 22, 2020: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.” 
Trump on January 24: “It will all work out well.”

[/color]
Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
[/url]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

5:18 PM - Jan 24, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

32.8K people are talking about this

Trump on January 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully.” 

Trump on February 2: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China. … We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. So we’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.” 

Trump on February 10: “A lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat—as the heat comes in.” 

Trump on February 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.” 

Trump on February 19: “I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus. So let’s see what happens, but I think it’s going to work out fine.”

[Image: 200204130938-cdc-coronavirus-illustratio...-tease.jpg]
President Trump tweeted the coronavirus could weaken as weather warms. Scientists say it's too early to knowOn Friday morning, President Trump tweeted about his phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the response to the coronavirus outbreak.https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/health/trump-coronavirus-weaker-warm-weather/index.html

Trump on February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

5:42 PM - Feb 24, 2020

56.6K people are talking about this

Trump on February 25: “You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are … getting better. They’re all getting better. …” 

Larry Kudlow on February 25: “We have contained this, I won't say airtight but pretty close to airtight.”
Kudlow breaks with CDC on coronavirus: ‘We have contained this’The White House economic adviser suggested that the virus’ impact is “not going to last forever.”https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/25/kudlow-white-house-coronavirus-117402

Trump on February 26: “When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Conference | The White HouseJames S. Brady Press Briefing Room February 26, 2020 6:37 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you very much, everybody.  Thank you very much. Before I begin, I’d like to extend my deepest condolences to t…https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-conference

Trump on February 26: “This is a flu. This is like a flu.”

[Image: eoJlNEmxf0w-2.jpg]
Transcript Quote - Press Conference: Donald Trump Provides an Update on the Coronavirus Outbreak - February 26, 2020 | FactbasePress Conference: Donald Trump Provides an Update on the Coronavirus Outbreak - February 26, 2020https://factba.se/transcript/donald-trump-press-conference-white-house-coronavirus-february-26-2020

Trump on February 27: “It’s going to disappear one day, it’s like a miracle.”

Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with African American Leaders | The White HouseCabinet Room February 27, 2020 5:22 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT:  Well, I want to thank you very much.  We’re here with some of the black leaders of our country and — people that are highly respected and …https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-meeting-african-american-leaders/

Trump on February 28: “We only have 15 people and they are getting better, and hopefully they’re all better. There’s one who is quite sick, but maybe he’s gonna be fine. … We’re prepared for the worst, but we think we’re going to be very fortunate.” 

Eric Trump on February 28: “In my opinion, it’s a great time to buy stocks or into your 401K. I would be all in... let’s see if I’m right...”

Quote:https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IjwMOQ-u22sJ:https://twitter.com/erictrump/status/1233478845719818242%3Flang%3Den+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

[Image: ES_MplJWAAABIt0.jpg]

Trump on March 2: “We had a great meeting today with a lot of the great companies and they're going to have vaccines, I think relatively soon.”

[Image: NMSQF0tvvaQ-2.jpg]
Transcript Quote - Speech: Donald Trump Holds a Political Rally in Charlotte, North Carolina - March 2, 2020 | FactbaseSpeech: Donald Trump Holds a Political Rally in Charlotte, North Carolina - March 2, 2020https://factba.se/transcript/donald-trump-speech-kag-rally-charlotte-north-carolina-march-2-2020

Trump on March 5: “With approximately 100,000 CoronaVirus cases worldwide, and 3,280 deaths, the United States, because of quick action on closing our borders, has, as of now, only 129 cases (40 Americans brought in) and 11 deaths.”

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

With approximately 100,000 CoronaVirus cases worldwide, and 3,280 deaths, the United States, because of quick action on closing our borders, has, as of now, only 129 cases (40 Americans brought in) and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!

12:34 PM - Mar 5, 2020

53.6K people are talking about this

Trump on March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. . . . Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.” 

Trump on March 6: “I didn’t know people died from the flu.”
washingtonpost.com/history/2020/0… 

Trump on March 6: “Anybody who wants a test gets a test.”

[Image: meter-fire.jpg]
PolitiFact - Donald Trump’s wrong claim that ‘anybody’ can get tested for coronavirusPolitiFact is a fact-checking website that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others on its Truth-O-Meter.https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/11/donald-trump/donald-trumps-wrong-claim-anybody-can-get-tested-c/

Trump on March 7: “We closed it down; we stopped it. Otherwise — the head of CDC said last night that you would have thousands of more problems if we didn’t shut it down very early. That was a very early shutdown, which is something we got right.” 

Trump on March 9: “The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.” 

Trump on March 9: “At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

10:47 AM - Mar 9, 2020

159K people are talking about this

[url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761]

Trump on March 10: “As you know, it’s about 600 cases, it’s about 26 deaths, within our country. And had we not acted quickly, that number would have been substantially more.” 

Trump on March 10: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.” 

Trump on March 12: “The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point … when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.” 

Trump on March 12: “We have ’em very heavily tested. If an American’s coming back, or anybody’s coming back, we’re testing. We have a tremendous testing setup where people coming in have to be tested.”

washingtonpost.com/investigations… 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dont-panic-says-us-woman-recovered-coronavirus-055155667.html

Quote:Seattle (AFP) - An American woman who has recovered from the novel coronavirus has a simple message for people who are worried: Don't panic -- but do think about high-risk individuals and stay home if you feel ill.

Elizabeth Schneider lives in Seattle, the biggest city of Washington state, which has the most deaths in the United States from the disease sweeping the globe.

The 37-year-old, who has a PhD in bioengineering, said she was sharing her story "to give people a little bit of hope" through her own relatively mild experience with the infection, which she treated herself from home.

But, she added, "obviously, it's not something to be completely nonchalant about, because there are a lot of people who are elderly or have underlying health conditions.

"That means that we need to be extra vigilant about staying home, isolating ourselves from others."

This week, US health authorities citing Chinese data said 80 percent of cases have been mild, while the remaining serious cases that required hospitalization affected mainly people over 60 and those with conditions like diabetes, heart disease or lung disease.

- The party -

Schneider first began experiencing flu-like symptoms on February 25, three days after going to a party that was later identified as the place where at least five other people also got infected.

"I woke up and I was feeling tired, but it was nothing more than what you normally feel when you have to get up and go to work, and I had been very busy the previous weekend," she told AFP in an interview Wednesday.

By midday, however, she felt a headache coming on, along with a fever and body aches. She decided to leave the office of the biotechnology company where she works as a marketing manager, and went home.

After waking up from a nap, Schneider found she had a high temperature, which peaked at 103 degrees Fahrenheit that night (39.4 Celsius).

"And at that point, I started to shiver uncontrollably, and I was getting the chills and getting tingling in my extremities, so that was a little concerning," she said.

She turned to over-the-counter flu medications to treat the symptoms and called a friend to be on standby in case she needed to be taken to an emergency room -- but the fever began to recede in the coming days.

Schneider had been following news reports about the novel coronavirus. The first US case was detected in Washington in late January.

The state has since gone on to become the epicenter of the disease in the country, with more than 260 cases and at least two dozen deaths. Nationwide, there have been more than 1,100 cases and 30 deaths.

Because she didn't have the most common symptoms like a cough or shortness of breath, "I thought, okay, well that's definitely why I don't have coronavirus," said Schneider.

She had gotten a flu shot but assumed her illness was a different strain. A visit to the doctor would only result in her being asked to go home, rest and drink plenty of fluids.

- 'Pleasantly surprised' -

A few days later, however, she discovered through a friend's Facebook post that several people from the party had all developed similar symptoms, and she began to get more suspicious.

Several of these people went to their doctors, where they were found to be negative for the flu, but they were not offered coronavirus tests because they too were not coughing or having breathing trouble.

Knowing that she would also likely be turned down for the test, she decided to enroll in a research program called the Seattle Flu Study, hoping it might provide an answer. The team behind the study sent her a nasal swab kit, which she mailed back and waited several more days.

"I finally got a phone call from one of the research coordinators on Saturday (March 7), telling me that 'You have tested positive for COVID-19,'" she said.

"I was a little bit pleasantly surprised, because I thought it was a little bit cool," Schneider admitted, laughing, though her mother cried when she told her.

"Granted, I probably would not have felt that way if I was severely ill," she said. "But from a scientific curiosity perspective, I thought it was very interesting. And also the fact that I finally got confirmation that that's what I had."

By this time, her symptoms had already subsided, and she was told by local health authorities to remain at home for at least seven days after the onset of symptoms or 72 hours after they subsided.

It's now been a week since she's felt better. She has started going out for errands but is still avoiding large gatherings and continuing to work from home.

Schneider said she hoped her example, which will probably be typical of the high majority of cases, could comfort others.

"The message is don't panic," said Schneider. "If you think that you have it, you probably do; you should probably get tested."

"If your symptoms aren't life-threatening, simply stay at home, medicate with over-the-counter medicines, drink lots of water, get a lot of rest and check out the shows you want to binge-watch," she said.

RE: Coronavirus - michaelsean - 03-13-2020

(03-12-2020, 05:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The big deal is that people get Malaria and bring it back to the USA when they don't get their proper vaccinations before going to countries that don't control or prevent Malaria.  This country has been making quite a stink about people electing to not get vaccinations and put others at risk.

Just an FYI, while I guess you could bring malaria back with you, you aren't going to pass it along.  And I don't think there's a very effective vaccine.  We dealt with malaria by dealing with the mosquitoes.  

RE: Coronavirus - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 09:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/dont-panic-says-us-woman-recovered-coronavirus-055155667.html

That's an encouraging story.  On my ride to work this morning, the news had a 65 y/o lady on who also had and recovered completely from Covid-19.