Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Coronavirus (/Thread-Coronavirus)

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 04-04-2020

(04-03-2020, 08:14 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You keep bringing up the Trump administration as if I'm disagreeing with you on any of that. And my meme had nothing to do with Trump anyways. And Dr. Tedros wasn't blaming Trump; he was blaming the whole world for reaction to slow. Except himself of course - no blame there. 

This is also the 2nd or 3rd time you said Trump called the virus a hoax. That's not what he said. He was referring to the politicizing, criticizing and blaming coming from the Democrats.  Politifact and Washington Post (not exact pro Trump sources) debunked this weeks ago when Biden tried running an edited clip in a campaign ad.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/15/joe-biden/ad-watch-biden-video-twists-trumps-words-coronavir/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/13/biden-ad-manipulates-video-slam-trump/

DJT said that the Democrats saying he botched the handling of the virus is a hoax while in the same breath saying we "did one of the great jobs" on Feb 28 is just as bad.

I mean, Jebus, he said it at a rally attended by thousands when many of us were already practicing social distancing.  Our schools were closed already for example.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

Two days before that he said we had 15 cases that would soon be zero.

One day before that he said it would disappear like a "miracle".

The day AFTER (after the first US death) Trump said it was all under control, "we" have done more and better than any other country and closing the borders will save us.  lol.

It continues from there.

So we can coax a false out of "Trump did not call the virus a hoax but said people saying he didn't do a good job are committing a hoax" but he wasn't taking it seriously and was trying to downplay it for the sake of his re-election...let's not confuse the two.

And ALL of that still has nothing to do with WHO retweeting Chinese information along with all the other information and someone trying to say "WHO messed up!!! See!?!?!  It can happen to anyone!!!" and then claim it's not about defending what Trump said for months.   ThumbsUp

RE: Coronavirus - NATI BENGALS - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 09:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: DJT said that the Democrats saying he botched the handling of the virus is a hoax while in the same breath saying we "did one of the great jobs" on Feb 28 is just as bad.

I mean, Jebus, he said it at a rally attended by thousands when many of us were already practicing social distancing.  Our schools were closed already for example.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

The day AFTER (after the first US death) Trump said it was all under control, "we" have done more and better than any other country and closing the borders will save us.  lol.

It continues from there.

So we can coax a false out of "Trump did not call the virus a hoax but said people saying he didn't do a good job are committing a hoax" but he wasn't taking it seriously and was trying to downplay it for the sake of his re-election...let's not confuse the two.

And ALL of that still has nothing to do with WHO retweeting Chinese information along with all the other information and someone trying to say "WHO messed up!!! See!?!?!  It can happen to anyone!!!" and then claim it's not about defending what Trump said for months.   ThumbsUp

How dare you remember the recent past.... Absolutely disgusting.

Take the disgracefully incompetent corrupt leadership you have and look the other way and get in line like a good republican.

RE: Coronavirus - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-04-2020

Trump refused to allow a second Obamacare open enrollment so the uninsured can get insurance.

Instead, the White House plans to designate $100B in emergency funding to reimburse hospitals for treating the uninsured.

This is sooooooooo stupid. If the uninsured are allowed to get insurance through Obamacare they have to pay towards their own care.

(04-04-2020, 11:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump refused to allow a second Obamacare open enrollment so the uninsured can get insurance.

Instead, the White House plans to designate $100B in emergency funding to reimburse hospitals for treating the uninsured.

This is sooooooooo stupid. If the uninsured are allowed to get insurance through Obamacare they have to pay towards their own care.

Oh and the Payroll Protection Program is just as bad.

No guidance for the banks, the form to APPLY changed twice in two days.

No idea what information the banks even need in some cases.

And they will be paying businesses to keep employees on even if they don't need them so the unemployment numbers look good under the guise of helping with cash flow.

RE: Coronavirus - BmorePat87 - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 08:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not on here.  His most ardent defenders are probably fine with the path he's taken and think the rest of us have TDS.  

We should probably give DJT "credit" for do something and not letting 2 million people die I suppose?  Smirk

But with nothing we can do except wait this thing out and let the experts do their thing I can't believe we are getting a Trump campaign ad every day at 5p where his son in law tells us the stockpiles are for the federal govt...not the people of the United states.  Where the POTUS makes a casual joke about screwing models while talking about the graphs that show the number of sick and dying.  Where follow up questions that quote his own words get sacthing and childlike responses from Trump.

So while no one is defending him it's still important to point out that he has not "grown into" the position nor does he seem to be "changing".  

That's worth reminding people every day.  Smirk

3 years of people saying that any criticism of his character and inability to lead this nation was "TDS", and now we're seeing the result of that. 

First they said "Well 12k people died under Obama with Swine Flu". We're 2-3 months in and we're about to eclipse that number as Trump is cracking jokes about dating models when he talks about how many people the model says will die...

It's almost like people were right when they said the cuts he was making and his poor leadership would be harmful...

(04-04-2020, 04:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 3 years of people saying that any criticism of his character and inability to lead this nation was "TDS", and now we're seeing the result of that. 

First they said "Well 12k people died under Obama with Swine Flu". We're 2-3 months in and we're about to eclipse that number as Trump is cracking jokes about dating models when he talks about how many people the model says will die...

It's almost like people were right when they said the cuts he was making and his poor leadership would be harmful...

Literally had a friend say other friends of mine were suffering from TDS on a post I made about the models comment.  Weird world.

RE: Coronavirus - 6andcounting - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 09:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: DJT said that the Democrats saying he botched the handling of the virus is a hoax while in the same breath saying we "did one of the great jobs" on Feb 28 is just as bad.

It continues from there.

I correctly pointed out that Trump didn't call the virus a hoax. That doesn't mean I agree with the things he says or disagree with the criticisms of his response to the virus.

I'll literally keep repeating myself in every response if everyone here keeps thinking they got me in a gotcha moment because Trump said something dumb or untrue. I've never defended Trump on any of that. I didn't even vote for him and won't be voting for him in this election either. 

RE: Coronavirus - 6andcounting - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 12:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh and the Payroll Protection Program is just as bad.

No guidance for the banks, the form to APPLY changed twice in two days.

No idea what information the banks even need in some cases.

And they will be paying businesses to keep employees on even if they don't need them so the unemployment numbers look good under the guise of helping with cash flow.

I've spent the last week telling businesses how to register with my bank so that the can access the application when it goes live. Along with answering a million questions the SBA till hasn't provided clears answers to address. That being said - as anti- big government as I am - the efficiency of passing the law late Friday March 27, having the applications to the banks by just before mid-night April 2 and supposedly ready to disburse the funds Monday the 6th has been really impressive from a logistically standpoint. 

In regards to you last line, many of the business owners I spoke to only have themselves or family on the payroll. For them this money the difference between surviving or literally not being able to re-open if these closures last more than a few more weeks.

Most restaurants in downtown Pittsburgh are closed (not even offering delivery) as no one is downtown working to place orders from those businesses. One guy I'm helping was doing 5% of his normal sales volume operating as takeout only the first week of Allegheny county's stay at home order. The next week he just didn't re-open. When he finally re-opens he will have to drop $5,000 to replace all his food + even more to replace all his paper and plastic supplies he wants to replace as a safety precaution. He has and will continue to pay his employees (not as much as normal), but starting Monday the payroll will be exclusively funded from his personal bank account. And I can tell you he won't be able to afford doing that very long. 

If Trump/Congress/ the government is selfishly keeping workers receiving a paycheck I fully support that.

EDIT: Trump Tweeted an hour ago the Paycheck Protection Program is up and running. The fact he wanted until banks with Saturday hours are closed before Tweeting that is the closest he will get to singlehandedly getting my vote. lol

RE: Coronavirus - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 04-05-2020

[Image: 1JIJChf.jpg]

I wonder if she listened to Hannity and Limbaugh on the radio. She pretty much nailed the synopsis of their radio shows a couple of weeks ago. Limbaugh is still downplaying the whole thing. Mother Nature's way of weeding out the stupid, I guess.

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 04-05-2020

(04-04-2020, 04:57 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I've spent the last week telling businesses how to register with my bank so that the can access the application when it goes live. Along with answering a million questions the SBA till hasn't provided clears answers to address. That being said - as anti- big government as I am - the efficiency of passing the law late Friday March 27, having the applications to the banks by just before mid-night April 2 and supposedly ready to disburse the funds Monday the 6th has been really impressive from a logistically standpoint. 

In regards to you last line, many of the business owners I spoke to only have themselves or family on the payroll. For them this money the difference between surviving or literally not being able to re-open if these closures last more than a few more weeks.

Most restaurants in downtown Pittsburgh are closed (not even offering delivery) as no one is downtown working to place orders from those businesses. One guy I'm helping was doing 5% of his normal sales volume operating as takeout only the first week of Allegheny county's stay at home order. The next week he just didn't re-open. When he finally re-opens he will have to drop $5,000 to replace all his food + even more to replace all his paper and plastic supplies he wants to replace as a safety precaution. He has and will continue to pay his employees (not as much as normal), but starting Monday the payroll will be exclusively funded from his personal bank account. And I can tell you he won't be able to afford doing that very long. 

If Trump/Congress/ the government is selfishly keeping workers receiving a paycheck I fully support that.

EDIT: Trump Tweeted an hour ago the Paycheck Protection Program is up and running. The fact he wanted until banks with Saturday hours are closed before Tweeting that is the closest he will get to singlehandedly getting my vote. lol

My part has been scanning and handling the tech end of the application process.  And *IF* the money makes it to those family only businesses it will be a good program.  I keep reassuring the boss that there is enough money for even very small (50 employee) businesses like ours but he is impatient and wants to make sure we are in on it, which I totally understand.

I just meant that if this goes longer than a couple months it will either have to be extended or the number jump.  And also that business sucks right now.  Our plant is good.  12 employees and we can make it work for a month or two.  The other already is struggling.  Making payroll is great for now, but no cash flow in two or three months when there has been 40-30% of normal sales during that time will still kill small businesses on the other end.

I'm not against the program.

And getting forms out in a couple weeks wasn't the hard part IMHO, giving guidance to everyone was.  Like I said the form the boss filled out Thursday (that he got from our bank) was different than the one we had to electronically file Friday afternoon.  Only slightly, but still different.

It's gonna be a wild ride.

RE: Coronavirus - NATI BENGALS - 04-05-2020

^

Wow if that is real.

Sadly I have a strong feeling it is.

(04-05-2020, 09:46 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: ^

Wow if that is real.

Sadly I have a strong feeling it is.

Yep.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/khucq-help-the-sehlke-family

RE: Coronavirus - 6andcounting - 04-05-2020

(04-05-2020, 09:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: And getting forms out in a couple weeks wasn't the hard part IMHO, giving guidance to everyone was.  Like I said the form the boss filled out Thursday (that he got from our bank) was different than the one we had to electronically file Friday afternoon.  Only slightly, but still different.

It's gonna be a wild ride.

The SBA released a paper application early last week, but each bank had to develop their own electronic application. The SBA opened the application process Friday at 12:00am, but banks couldn't do most of the work needed for their online application until the SBA finalized everything - which was at the Friday at 12:00am release.  Banks are doing 100% of the process and the handling of the paperwork evidence for the loan forgiveness. All the SBA is doing from here on out is providing the funding to banks when they make a request that they are ready to disburse loan funds. 

The program is not intended to keep businesses profitable or replace lost revenue. It's intended to keep employees getting paid and cover rent/mortgage/utilities expenses on businesses' structural property so they don't get evicted.  Any money used for those purposes is forgivable. Funds not used for those purposes have to be repaid as a loan. The APY on the loan was originally capped at 4$, but I think I saw yesterday they lowered it to 1% - so it's still a really cheap loan.

(04-05-2020, 10:10 AM)6andcounting Wrote: The SBA released a paper application early last week, but each bank had to develop their own electronic application. The SBA opened the application process Friday at 12:00am, but banks couldn't do most of the work needed for their online application until the SBA finalized everything - which was at the Friday at 12:00am release.  Banks are doing 100% of the process and the handling of the paperwork evidence for the loan forgiveness. All the SBA is doing from here on out is providing the funding to banks when they make a request that they are ready to disburse loan funds. 

The program is not intended to keep businesses profitable or replace lost revenue. It's intended to keep employees getting paid and cover rent/mortgage/utilities expenses on businesses' structural property so they don't get evicted.  Any money used for those purposes is forgivable. Funds not used for those purposes have to be repaid as a loan. The APY on the loan was originally capped at 4$, but I think I saw yesterday they lowered it to 1% - so it's still a really cheap loan.

I think our bank was changing forms because they weren't sure what they needed.

I understand the repayment part and that it's not to replace profit but rather cash flow.  I'm just saying that in three months if our sales stay low there will be no cashflow on the other end instead and we will suffer then instead of now.  And, again, not slamming the program..just that it may need extended if that is it's purpose.

RE: Coronavirus - BengalHawk62 - 04-05-2020

I follow the news and I am concerned! There is a 2.7 % mortality rate from those who are tested positive for the Corona virus. But wait, there is a 97.3 % recovery rate from the Corona virus! I like that number better! If you are less than 65 years of age, then you have a 99.56 % recovery rate.
But wait! I heard that 50 % of the people who have the Corona virus, don't know that they have it! Does this mean that the above numbers are more favorable than shown?
But wait! I heard that 40% of the people who are exposed to the Corona virus won't contract it at all? Does that improve the chances for survival?
The news media doesn't approach the virus from this point of view and I understand why. I am not a scientist, so please don't get mad at me if you disagree. If I am going to worry, then maybe I can worry intelligently! Be diligent and be safe! God bless you!

RE: Coronavirus - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-05-2020

(04-04-2020, 04:51 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I correctly pointed out that Trump didn't call the virus a hoax.

In an attempt to incorrectly correct me after falsely accusing me of claiming Trump called it a hoax rather than what I actually wrote which was Trump called it a Democrat hoax.  That's some next level Kellyanne Conway gaslighting.

Quote:That doesn't mean I agree with the things he says or disagree with the criticisms of his response to the virus.

Regardless you're repeating conservative news propaganda to excuse Trump's poor response by taking one tweet out of context and acting like this wasn't a rapidly changing situation.

Quote:I'll literally keep repeating myself in every response if everyone here keeps thinking they got me in a gotcha moment because Trump said something dumb or untrue. I've never defended Trump on any of that. I didn't even vote for him and won't be voting for him in this election either. 

I'll literally keep referring you to the timeline.  The WHO issued guidance on preparation 10 days into the Covid-19 timeline.  When do you think they should have issued that guidance if 10 days wasn't quick enough?  The WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern less than a month into the timeline.  When do you think they should have declared a public health emergency if less than a month wasn't fast enough?  When the WHO declared a public health emergency there were only 98 cases of Covid-19 outside of China?  How many cases outside of China do you believe there should have been before they declared an emergency? 80? 70? 50? 20? 1?

(04-05-2020, 10:28 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I follow the news and I am concerned! There is a 2.7 % mortality rate from those who are tested positive for the Corona virus.  But wait, there is a 97.3 % recovery rate from the Corona virus! I like that number better! If you are less than 65 years of age, then you have a 99.56 % recovery rate.
But wait! I heard that 50 % of the people who have the Corona virus,  don't know that they  have it! Does this mean that  the above numbers are more favorable than shown?
But wait! I heard that 40% of the people who are exposed to the Corona virus won't contract it at all? Does that improve the chances for survival?
The news media doesn't approach the virus from this point of view and I understand why. I am not a scientist,  so please don't get mad at me if you disagree.  If I am going to worry, then maybe I can worry intelligently! Be diligent and be safe! God bless you!

What's the percentage of people who have immunity to this novel virus?

Did you know less than 6% of people taken to the ER for chest pain have a life threatening problem? Which means 94% don't have a life threatening condition. Does that mean you're going to recommend to one of your family members that they not to go to the ER for chest pain because you like 94% better?

(04-05-2020, 10:28 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I follow the news and I am concerned! There is a 2.7 % mortality rate from those who are tested positive for the Corona virus.  But wait, there is a 97.3 % recovery rate from the Corona virus! I like that number better! If you are less than 65 years of age, then you have a 99.56 % recovery rate.
But wait! I heard that 50 % of the people who have the Corona virus,  don't know that they  have it! Does this mean that  the above numbers are more favorable than shown?
The news media doesn't approach the virus from this point of view and I understand why. I am not a scientist,  so please don't get mad at me if you disagree.  If I am going to worry, then maybe I can worry intelligently! Be diligent and be safe! God bless you!

The "media" is trying to tell people that this is a diseases that anyone can get and that no one has an immunity to.

So then the "media" say what the death rate is because if the death rate was almost nothing it would be less of a concern.

If people reading the "media" panic that is on them.

There is "news" and there is "opinion"...both fall under the "media".

Too often people listen to the "opinion" and say the "news" is blowing things out of proportion.

So let's talk about the French study Trump keeps talking about and the "game changer" combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996

Quote:We enrolled 36 out of 42 patients meeting the inclusion criteria in this study that had at least six days of follow-up at the time of the present analysis. A total of 26 patients received hydroxychloroquine and 16 were control patients. Six hydroxychloroquine-treated patients were lost in follow-up during the survey because of early cessation of treatment. Reasons are as follows: three patients were transferred to intensive care unit, including one transferred on day2 post-inclusion who was PCR-positive on day1, one transferred on day3 post-inclusion who was PCR-positive on days1-2 and one transferred on day4 post-inclusion who was PCR-positive on day1 and day3; one patient died on day3 post inclusion and was PCR-negative on day2; one patient decided to leave the hospital on day3 post-inclusion and was PCR-negative on days1-2; finally, one patient stopped the treatment on day3 post-inclusion because of nausea and was PCR-positive on days1-2-3. The results presented here are therefore those of 36 patients (20 hydroxychloroquine-treated patients and 16 control patients).

There were only 36 patients in the study.

Only 26 received hydroxychloroquine.

Of those 26 patients, 6 were excluded.

Of those 6 excluded, 3 got worse and were admitted to the ICU and a 4th patient died.

Or 15% of those receiving the treatment got worse and were excluded from the results!  Are you shitting me?

Here's the kicker:

Quote:We evaluate the role of hydroxychloroquine on respiratory viral loads.

The study is designed to measure viral loads on day 6 of the illness.  Viral loads don't correlate clinically with the patient's condition.  That's why the people who got worse were excluded from the study. Because they aren't measuring outcomes.

In other words: this study isn't even designed to test if the treatment helps patient's get better quicker or even get better at all.

Lastly, the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin can cause QT prolongation leading to fatal arrhythmias.