Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Besides Burrow - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Besides Burrow (/Thread-Besides-Burrow)

Pages: 1 2 3

Besides Burrow - J24 - 02-03-2020

The Bengals have reason for optimism
1.) AJ is coming back and he will solidify the rest of the offense. It allows Boyd to be a natural 2 and Ross as a 3. 
2.) Jonah Williams will be our LT. A lot of people forget that he was expected to have a Quinton Nelson like impact to our Offensive line this past season. People are going to role there eyes but it is like we're going to get to top 15 picks next season at the most two critical positions.
3.) Joe Mixon was playing lights out during the second half of last season. If we can get that production for an entire season it will make Joe's rookie campaign a lot easier.
4.) The defense. It improved immensely after the home loss to Baltimore especially the D- line. With Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson we have some of the better pass rushers in the NFL. Pratt looked like a top level LB at the end of last season. Yes there questions about the unit but there was enough positives to think that 2020 could be a good season for them.

RE: Besides Burrow - JSR18 - 02-03-2020

WhoDey2

Let's hope like hell you're right!!

RE: Besides Burrow - Nately120 - 02-03-2020

I can't disagree, but I also get bummed we aren't using these positives and getting the next huge thing at QB as a means to get a top notch coaching staff here.

RE: Besides Burrow - guyofthetiger - 02-03-2020

One thing I am not a fan of is hype. Joe Burrow is being hyped as a savior for the Bengals. He has not yet taken a snap in the NFL so lets wait and see. He is a good college QB and there have been many others which failed miserably in the NFL. I do think the Bengals have some good players as mentioned. I'm not saying Super Bowl just yet.

RE: Besides Burrow - Benton - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't disagree, but I also get bummed we aren't using these positives and getting the next huge thing at QB as a means to get a top notch coaching staff here.

Part (just past, there's other reasons) we've got the staff we've got is the roster we had. It's harder to attract a top tier coach with a bottom quarter defense and mid level offense. Every coach I've interviewed (all high school and college, but I think it carries over to the NFL) will tell you they're only as good as the players they've got.  Well, every except a harbaugh I think would say that.

If Zac and co are holding the roster back at the end of next season, I have no problem cutting bait. But like I've said about the coaching before, I'm not going to fault him for one season with an inherited below average roster. Anyone would have to have a couple seasons to build it.

RE: Besides Burrow - grampahol - 02-03-2020

I think they need another big time receiver because AJ just ain't going backward in time. I still have hopes for the coming season, but he won't last forever and those injuries do pile up.

RE: Besides Burrow - lone bengal - 02-03-2020

Like the optimism I think big picture they still need to make major upgrades to the roster. I have high hopes for Williams and having a franchise LT would be huge along with a franchise QB. They still need upgrades at both guard spots and RT. Far as the offensive weapons outside of Boyd , Ross is in his 4th season and I doubt they will pick up his 5th year option, If you Tag Green he could walk the following season and Mixon is in a contract year and might want top back money. Rather spend money on the O- line than a 32 year old WR and give a RB big money. Still don’t trust the D they gave up 38 to Miami at the end of the year. Pratt has upside if they don’t sign a free agent LB they’ll have to draft one which they haven’t been able to do. CB is a need Dennard is a free agent, Jackson III is in a contract year and Kirkpatrick is aging and on a bad contract. I love Hubbard he is a young building block for this team. Fixing the defense starts with stopping the run.

RE: Besides Burrow - Interceptor - 02-03-2020

Just waiting until Burrow is officially a Bengal before thinking anything.

Unlikely but not impossible:
A. Burrow pulls an Eli if he is picked at #1
B. Bengals trade #1 or pick someone else at #1

I wouldn't put it past this organization to screw something up like this.

RE: Besides Burrow - SunsetBengal - 02-03-2020

Is AJ Green really going to be back? Seems like there's still some negotiating to take place, a deal to be agreed upon, and a sizeable financial transaction that needs to take place before we can say things like AJ Green is coming back.

RE: Besides Burrow - reuben.ahmed - 02-03-2020

High expectations for a 2-14 team. Sounding like the Browns, suddenly, lol. I would be happy with 8-8 next year, somehow.

RE: Besides Burrow - SHRacerX - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 09:18 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: High expectations for a 2-14 team. Sounding like the Browns, suddenly, lol. I would be happy with 8-8 next year, somehow.

I am sure some SF fans said the same thing...

RE: Besides Burrow - ochocincos - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:13 AM)J24 Wrote: The Bengals have reason for optimism
1.) AJ is coming back and he will solidify the rest of the offense. It allows Boyd to be a natural 2 and Ross as a 3. 
2.) Jonah Williams will be our LT. A lot of people forget that he was expected to have a Quinton Nelson like impact to our Offensive line this past season. People are going to role there eyes but it is like we're going to get to top 15 picks next season at the most two critical positions.
3.) Joe Mixon was playing lights out during the second half of last season. If we can get that production for an entire season it will make Joe's rookie campaign a lot easier.
4.) The defense. It improved immensely after the home loss to Baltimore especially the D- line. With Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson we have some of the better pass rushers in the NFL. Pratt looked like a top level LB at the end of last season. Yes there questions about the unit but there was enough positives to think that 2020 could be a good season for them.

If AJ does return and doesn't put up over 1100 yards and 6 TDs, it will be considered a disappointment in my book.
For the contract he'll likely sign, you expect him to be one of the top receivers in the league.

Also, Bengals have to look for a new WR1 either in this draft or next year's draft. Boyd is a great WR2 but he's not a WR1. Ross isn't consistent enough to be a WR1 or WR2 yet.

Regarding defense, I could see the Bengals re-signing Vigil, as he did improve once Preston Brown was gone. As I've said before, he's a decent LB3. The Bengals need to get a LB (or two) via outside FA given the weakness of this LB draft class as whole. Outside of Simmons and maybe Murray, the rest have some big question marks. Definitely worth taking one in the middle rounds though for depth.
The Bengals also need to draft a true 3T to rotate with Atkins. If Atkins is ever down, the interior pass rush will suffer significantly.

(02-03-2020, 10:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am sure some SF fans said the same thing...

Exactly. We have the trenches and the talent and a top tier coaching staff, we just need Dalton to come back from tearing his ACL in week 3 and we can make it to the SB.

RE: Besides Burrow - Sled21 - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is AJ Green really going to be back?  Seems like there's still some negotiating to take place, a deal to be agreed upon, and a sizeable financial transaction that needs to take place before we can say things like AJ Green is coming back.

Yes, he will be back. The only question is if it will be on a mulit-year deal (which I think will happen) or on the tag. Either way, he's coming back.

RE: Besides Burrow - J24 - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is AJ Green really going to be back?  Seems like there's still some negotiating to take place, a deal to be agreed upon, and a sizeable financial transaction that needs to take place before we can say things like AJ Green is coming back.
He'll be back at least on the Tag; maybe he will be traded but I find that highly unlikely.
(02-03-2020, 11:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If AJ does return and doesn't put up over 1100 yards and 6 TDs, it will be considered a disappointment in my book.
For the contract he'll likely sign, you expect him to be one of the top receivers in the league.

Also, Bengals have to look for a new WR1 either in this draft or next year's draft. Boyd is a great WR2 but he's not a WR1. Ross isn't consistent enough to be a WR1 or WR2 yet.

Regarding defense, I could see the Bengals re-signing Vigil, as he did improve once Preston Brown was gone. As I've said before, he's a decent LB3. The Bengals need to get a LB (or two) via outside FA given the weakness of this LB draft class as whole. Outside of Simmons and maybe Murray, the rest have some big question marks. Definitely worth taking one in the middle rounds though for depth.
The Bengals also need to draft a true 3T to rotate with Atkins. If Atkins is ever down, the interior pass rush will suffer significantly.

I think we should draft a KJ Hill or similar like player at WR this year.
LB is a must I hope they sign Littleton and agree on the 3T although I do like Brown at that position.

RE: Besides Burrow - ochocincos - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 12:55 PM)J24 Wrote: He'll be back at least on the Tag; maybe he will be traded but I find that highly unlikely.

I think we should draft a KJ Hill or similar like player at WR this year.
LB is a must I hope they sign Littleton and agree on the 3T although I do like Brown at that position.

I liked Brown there too but they've really done a disservice to him by putting him at DE. He's not a 4-3 DE.
Also, Brown is now going into Year 3 and will be entering the final year of his contract. Barring a big step forward this year, I'd be too nervous rolling the dice just on him to provide interior pass rush aside from Atkins and when Hubbard swings inside.

RE: Besides Burrow - sandwedge - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't disagree, but I also get bummed we aren't using these positives and getting the next huge thing at QB as a means to get a top notch coaching staff here.

So you saw improvement as the year wore on and you want to shit can the coaching staff......

(02-03-2020, 01:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So you saw improvement as the year wore on and you want to shit can the coaching staff......

Yes, if Joe Burrow is Joe Montana and our roster is really as talented as we think it is we should get rid of our god-awful coaching staff...what is so crazy about that?  I can't see the future, but if Burrow struggles at all you know we are immediately going to throw ZT and his "never ran an actual offense" coaches directly under the bus.

It's great this team made so many grand improvements after being the worst offensive and defensive team during an 0-11 stretch on the way to a 2-14 record, but I'd rather bring in new coaches.  I'm not going to get what I want though, so thankfully we get to roll into 2020 with the same coaching staff that apparently did so well last year..

Honestly, we need to find an excuse and stick to it. From 2016-2018 we stunk because of the coaches and in 2019 apparently we had the worst roster in the league and now we are going into 2020 with a great roster and the best QB to come out of college since Andrew Luck so I'd say 2020 is going to either be great, or the coaches are going to face the wrath of the fanbase.

RE: Besides Burrow - Atomic Orange - 02-03-2020

Eric Bieniemy is still right there..

Gaah

RE: Besides Burrow - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 02:13 AM)J24 Wrote: The Bengals have reason for optimism

I like this thread J24, props. I will also add that there is a good chance we trade Dalton and Glenn to give us some more salary
in Free Agency or more picks to also help improve the team. The coaches were very inexperienced last year and with a year more
of experience they should learn from their mistakes and get better. The coaching DID improve as the year went on.

No reason to think this will not continue.