Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First (/Thread-My-Argument-For-Picking-Chase-Young-First)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - guyofthetiger - 02-25-2020

I like Joe Burrow and would not be upset if the Bengals picked him first in the draft. However, I still think the Bengals should keep Dalton one more year and pick Chase Young as the top draft pick. The first comment is defense wins championships. Chase is a beast and would secure the defense for many years to come. I guess I am asking for patience in getting a QB later. Being a Buckeye fits right in with the team. Either way the Bengals go would be okay with me.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Nicomo Cosca - 02-25-2020

Someone forgot to tell Pat Mahomes defense wins championships...

Also, who cares that he was a Buckeye? I want the players that will give the Bengals the best chance to win a Super Bowl, not the ones that played college in Ohio.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Gdale_Bengal - 02-25-2020

Why does being a buckeye matter? That only matters to buckeye homers

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - CJD - 02-25-2020

That is a pretty lukewarm take.

The adage of defense winning championships doesn't really hold up in the modern NFL. Most Superbowl winning teams have an elite QB at the helm.

QBs are the most game altering position in the world of sports. When you have a shot at an elite QB, you take it.

The only reason we shouldn't take Joe Burrow is if we don't think he's an elite QB prospect.

And if that's the case, then the selection shouldn't be Chase Young. It should be Tua Tagovailoa.

If they also determine that Tua is not an elite QB prospect, then maybe you start looking at Chase Young. But, honestly, you probably start looking to trade down if you don't grade either QB as elite.

With all that said, we're pretty much locked into Joe at this point. Could you imagine if we didn't take him and then he becomes the next elite QB in the NFL? We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL (to an even more extreme degree than we already are.)

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Schmitbuck - 02-25-2020

Don't worry. Burrow is an OSU grad. You'll still have your Buckeye. :)

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Sled21 - 02-25-2020

Can we Lemon Law our Buckeye Center?

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - jj22 - 02-25-2020

I'll play along. So Defense wins championships. Mahome may disagree, but the MVP Lamar may agree.

If this is the case, and we keep Dalton. We still have to draft a QB of the future, and in this scenario you aren't getting any extra picks so which Qb are you targeting?

I think those putting these scenarios out should answer that key question to building this team for the future.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - fredtoast - 02-25-2020

I could possibly see an argument for not taking Burrow if we trade for a bundle of picks/players. But no way I see us keeping the #1 pick and not taking Burrow.

I don't think Joe is the "can't miss" prospect some think he is, but he is too damn good to pass on for any other single player in the draft.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Synric - 02-25-2020

Any other year you'll hear me yelling take the pass rusher... but if you need a QB and theres one worthy of the pick you take the Quarterback.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Benton - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is a pretty lukewarm take.

The adage of defense winning championships doesn't really hold up in the modern NFL. Most Superbowl winning teams have an elite QB at the helm.

QBs are the most game altering position in the world of sports. When you have a shot at an elite QB, you take it.

The only reason we shouldn't take Joe Burrow is if we don't think he's an elite QB prospect.

And if that's the case, then the selection shouldn't be Chase Young. It should be Tua Tagovailoa.

If they also determine that Tua is not an elite QB prospect, then maybe you start looking at Chase Young. But, honestly, you probably start looking to trade down if you don't grade either QB as elite.

With all that said, we're pretty much locked into Joe at this point. Could you imagine if we didn't take him and then he becomes the next elite QB in the NFL? We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL (to an even more extreme degree than we already are.)

Eh, no on Tua No Hips.

I was lukewarm on the guy before, but everything he and his agent have said since college ended makes me believe the guy is never going to play at full speed again. I can't see any other reason a QB would say he doesn't want to go first overall and wants to sit behind someone his first year.

As to the op, I've said before, I'd be fine drafting young. Guy is an amazing talent 

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - RunKijanaRun - 02-25-2020

Sold me when you reminded me he is a Buckeye. I'm on board.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Schmitbuck - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I could possibly see an argument for not taking Burrow if we trade for a bundle of picks/players.  But no way I see us keeping the #1 pick and not taking Burrow.

I don't think Joe is the "can't miss" prospect some think he is, but he is too damn good to pass on for any other single player in the draft.

I agree on all points. 

The biggest concern for me with Burrow is that he only did it one year. Just don't have many examples to go on. He could be Andrew Luck or another Mitch Trubisky.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Mike M (the other one) - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is a pretty lukewarm take.

NO to Tua,
I don't think he's all that, and with the Injuries, I'd rather take Hurts in the 3rd. He can be taught better ball control to cut back on the fumbling. And he's a better passer than you think. He was overwhelmed in the LSU game though. I think it was from super pressure from the Defense being unable to stop Burrow. The Sooners were missing several good players on Defense (injuries and a couple suspended). Especially the Starting Safety and kudo to Burrow and Co for picking on the weakest link.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - bengals1969 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 11:13 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree on all points. 

The biggest concern for me with Burrow is that he only did it one year. Just don't have many examples to go on. He could be Andrew Luck or another Mitch Trubisky.

The Clemson game convinced me Joe is The One.  He didn't make mistakes early in the game when Clemson kept LSU on their own goal line.  Then when field position was better, he picked them apart in prime time, for the national championship.  That kind of poise comes naturally or not at all.  He has the athletic gifts, now he needs great coaching.  The Bengals can be pretty certain Burrow will have been worth the number 1 pick as they look back 5 years from next April.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Goalpost - 02-25-2020

Not sure what happened but Chase Young was rather ordinary his last three games in college. Five total tackles and no sacks vs Michigan, Wisconsin, and Clemson.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - hollodero - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 09:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: With all that said, we're pretty much locked into Joe at this point. Could you imagine if we didn't take him and then he becomes the next elite QB in the NFL? We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL (to an even more extreme degree than we already are.)

This argument can go both ways though, doesn't it.

If we take Burrow and he becomes the next average, overdrafted QB we'd be the laughing stock as well. Even more so when Young gets three sacks per game.

(By that I do not say draft Young. What I will say is if Mimai gave us their three firstroundersx, there's a high danger of becoming a laughing stock by turning that offer down.)

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Nicomo Cosca - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: This argument can go both ways though, doesn't it.

If we take Burrow and he becomes the next average, overdrafted QB we'd be the laughing stock as well. Even more so when Young gets three sacks per game.

(By that I do not say draft Young. What I will say is if Mimai gave us their three firstroundersx, there's a high danger of becoming a laughing stock by turning that offer down.)

No one is laughing at the Bengals for taking Burrow. Regardless of what happens. He’s the consensus #1 pick.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Sled21 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 01:51 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Not sure what happened but Chase Young was rather ordinary his last three games in college.  Five total tackles and no sacks vs Michigan, Wisconsin, and Clemson.

I think he realized he was going 1st rd no matter what, and probably would not go first with Burrow in the same class. I suspect he was playing not to get hurt. (which in reality is a good way to get hurt)

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - hollodero - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 02:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is laughing at the Bengals for taking Burrow. Regardless of what happens. He’s the consensus #1 pick.

...for the Bengals, sure. If it were another team on pick 1, it might be different. Eg. many say Young is the biggest talent in this draft.

If the Bengals are "laughed at" (a category I do not deem that important myself) will depend on how Burrow turns out. If he is meh, sure folks will say "well, we knew his arm was not that strong" or "well, we knew he only had one great year" and whatnot, and there will be mockery.

Especially when we were to turn down three Miami first rounders.

RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - bengalfan74 - 02-25-2020

(02-25-2020, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: This argument can go both ways though, doesn't it.

Flip that around

Can you imaging the laughter (would be 10,000X greater) if we took Miami's 3 picks and one is decent player, one is backup quality, and one is total bust think Ogbuehi, Price, Ross. And Joe Burrow goes on to be All Pro, MVP, Superbowl winner ?