Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... (/Thread-Ugh-This-Worries-Me-a-Bit)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - psychdoctor - 02-27-2020

This could be posturing for the upcoming draft or straight talk because the OL showed some improvement the last few games.

If it is straight talk, then the coaching staff's evaluation of the OL worries me once again. I say this because Tobin justified signing Hart. It is like they settle for below average as ok. As far as I remember, none of the OL players ranked very high using PFF ratings. I simply cannot understand the blind eye to OL, especially with a likely new QB this draft. Ugh!. Shocked

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - psychdoctor - 02-27-2020

Here is a quote:

_Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan is looking at upgrading the offensive line. But he also has no problem with an Opening Day lineup (from left to right) of Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart.

"Yeah, I feel very good about those guys," Callahan said here Wednesday morning. "Do I think there's room for improvement? Absolutely. If we can find better, we'll get better. Do I think we're in terrible shape? Not at all. I think we have good, young talent we're excited about. The jump Mike Jordan and Fred Johnson could make, we're counting on it. Put in a year with off-season training, and strength playing a factor and being comfortable in the system for an entire offseason and training camp and we're counting on those guys to step up."

Freakout

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Jojo the Circus Boy - 02-27-2020

Sounds like coach speak. If Callahan giggled, it would sound like Marvin

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Shake n Blake - 02-27-2020

"Meh, they're decent. Could be worse"

Just what I want to hear about the o-line that's charged with protecting our franchise.

Hopefully this is pre-draft speak.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - JWW1971 - 02-27-2020

Did you expect Callahan to say something like this "The guys we have on the squad right now for the O-Line are shit, except for Williams but who knows what he's like as he is injury prone!!!
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Jonah Williams. If we start the season with these guys Burrow (if we sign him) or any other QB that starts is going to get killed. Unless we get players that are a huge upgrade on the shit we have right now, there is no point in even turning up for the first game"

Yeah that would have went down well with anyone that may still be on the roster going into the first game.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Atomic Orange - 02-27-2020

I'm gonna go ahead and throw my support behind these guys and see what happens.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - TheUberHuber - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 12:36 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: This could be posturing for the upcoming draft or straight talk because the OL showed some improvement the last few games.  

If it is straight talk, then the coaching staff's evaluation of the OL worries me once again.  I say this because Tobin justified signing Hart.  It is like they settle for below average as ok.  As far as I remember, none of the OL players ranked very high using PFF ratings.  I simply cannot understand the blind eye to OL, especially with a likely new QB this draft.  Ugh!.    Shocked

It is quite easy to understand. They have no idea how to put a championship team together. Unfortunately, it is as simple as that.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - BFritz21 - 02-27-2020

Fewer snaps for Geno? Am I the only one seeing that? Why? Is Geno ok with that?

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - J24 - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 02:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fewer snaps for Geno?  Am I the only one seeing that?  Why?  Is Geno ok with that?

Lou basically said no he wouldn't be cool with that ( like any great player) but it's what's best for Geno. Which he is a 100% correct on.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - sandwedge - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 01:36 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Did you expect Callahan to say something like this "The guys we have on the squad right now for the O-Line are shit, except for Williams but who knows what he's like as he is injury prone!!!
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Jonah Williams. If we start the season with these guys Burrow (if we sign him) or any other QB that starts is going to get killed. Unless we get players that are a huge upgrade on the shit we have right now, there is no point in even turning up for the first game"

Yeah that would have went down well with anyone that may still be on the roster going into the first game.

Glad to see someone that gets it! Callahan even says, if we see someone better, we'll get them.  

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Nicomo Cosca - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 02:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fewer snaps for Geno? Am I the only one seeing that? Why? Is Geno ok with that?

Well, Geno just had a down year, so if that’s what it takes to keep him fresh, and make more of an impact, so be it.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - NATI BENGALS - 02-27-2020

Jonah, MJ, Hopkins, Miller, Hart, Johnson, Price, Prince, Dugas

There is a whole shitload of youth and potential in that group. But not enough to make me feel good about it.

I hope we add at least two guys who are legitimate potential starters. Its fun to automatically count a player getting better because of an offseason, another year of seniority, and work they put in. Fact is it isn't a guarantee that they get better.

I re-watched that last game against the Browns the other day. My god I used to like to pretend Price has some huge upside... It's bad. I hope Turner and ZT have full say on OL and Tobin's opinion on OL means jack shit.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Benton - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 02:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Fewer snaps for Geno?  Am I the only one seeing that?  Why?  Is Geno ok with that?

That's the stage of his career he's at. And why I've said for two drafts we need dl.. fewer snaps, Geno can probably still make an impact for 2-3 years. But carrying the line at his age is going to wear him out by October.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - bengaloo - 02-27-2020

This doesnt worry me and I think Callahan is basically right, but of course he cant be as honest as us fans in Jungle Noise. He really didnt praise anyone on the OL much. He said Miller and Hart played well but then said "they werent terrible". Saying "they werent terrible" in my mind, coming from a coach is basically saying those two spots are up for competition and need to improve big time. Although they were decent, they werent good enough and I agree with his judgement on that. Those 2 guys played better than anyone except Hopkins through most of the season, but thats not saying much considering we were the worst OL in the NFL until the last 4-5 games.

I honestly think Fred Johnson is going to take Harts starting spot and be a very solid upgrade, but thats just my opinion. He looked good out there in his limited time and he seems versatile. I also think Jordan started showing something towards the end. Billy Price is lost on me, I cant figure that dude out. He looks like a complete bust who isnt NFL ready. I was a big fan of drafting him, and Id still gladly give him a shot on the St Louis Battlehawks in the XFL! But if he doesnt show something in this training camp Id say he will be a late cut.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - reuben.ahmed - 02-27-2020

geno with less snaps, what a surprise...he better do more with those fewer snaps than he did last year with more snaps.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - pally - 02-27-2020

He did mention that they were planning to move on from Glenn which is something
The reasoning behind Geno getting few reps is spot on. They need to get back to their normal rotation with healthy players

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Schmitbuck - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 08:58 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: geno with less snaps, what a surprise...he better do more with those fewer snaps than he did last year with more snaps.

I guess I need to see what they mean by less snaps this year. 90% of his current load doesn't bother me. But if it's 75% or less, you have to wonder if age catching up with him and he's still worth the big contract in 2021. 

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Schmitbuck - 02-27-2020

(02-27-2020, 07:25 AM)bengaloo Wrote: This doesnt worry me and I think Callahan is basically right, but of course he cant be as honest as us fans in Jungle Noise. He really didnt praise anyone on the OL much. He said Miller and Hart played well but then said "they werent terrible". Saying "they werent terrible" in my mind, coming from a coach is basically saying those two spots are up for competition and need to improve big time. Although they were decent, they werent good enough and I agree with his judgement on that. Those 2 guys played better than anyone except Hopkins through most of the season, but thats not saying much considering we were the worst OL in the NFL until the last 4-5 games.

I honestly think Fred Johnson is going to take Harts starting spot and be a very solid upgrade, but thats just my opinion. He looked good out there in his limited time and he seems versatile. I also think Jordan started showing something towards the end. Billy Price is lost on me, I cant figure that dude out. He looks like a complete bust who isnt NFL ready. I was a big fan of drafting him, and Id still gladly give him a shot on the St Louis Battlehawks in the XFL! But if he doesnt show something in this training camp Id say he will be a late cut.

Nice post. If they're looking at Jordan as the future at LG, and I think they are, they'll still need to do something for competition with Miller's spot. I think most here want a big free agent upgrade or to a lesser extent, a 2nd/3rd rounder on a guard. I just hope they aren't counting on the competition being the loser of the Hart/Johnson battle. 

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - Sled21 - 02-27-2020

I don't see a problem with his statement. They said they are looking to upgrade the line. They also said what they already have is not horrible. If you look at the line in the last part of last season, they were protecting Andy adequately and Mixon was able to gain 1000yds behind them. We already know we are adding J. Williams to the mix, every other upgrade is icing. Yes, I would like to upgrade RT and Guards too, and if possible they will.

RE: Ugh! This Worries Me a Bit... - bengalfan74 - 02-27-2020

There's more coach speak, posturing, smoke and mirrors, and downright BS from now until the draft than any other time of year. The Redskins are putting out there that they're looking QB. Are they really ? or are they hoping to scare Dolphins into giving them an extra 1st round pick ?

I worry about the Oline for sure ! But what "they" say up to the draft is just talk, for the most part.