Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Free Agency expectations? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Free Agency expectations? (/Thread-Free-Agency-expectations)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Bengalstripes9 - 03-14-2020

(03-14-2020, 12:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Hobspin with his yearly free agency article saying the Bengals have 25mil earmarked for free agents.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-get-ready-for-nfl-s-new-year
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/14/how-cincinnati-bengals-plan-to-use-cap-space-2020-nfl-free-agency/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Sounds like 2 or 3 5mil per year guys and one at 10 mil? I was confused how resigning players factored into his math; it wasn’t laid out the best.

Still hoping at the least for one big name linebacker, resigning a few of our own, and then the usual bargain bin shopping. I’d love a proven guard as well, but it doesn’t fit the narrative I’ve been hearing.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - BengalFanInNJ - 03-14-2020

What's going on with the other $25m+ they will have? I know they don't plan on spending all of their available cap, nor should they, but that seems like a lot of money left if they figure a Mixon extension is part of the $25 million they WILL spend.

Or am I way off here?

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-14-2020

(03-14-2020, 12:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: What's going on with the other $25m+ they will have? I know they don't plan on spending all of their available cap, nor should they, but that seems like a lot of money left if they figure a Mixon extension is part of the $25 million they WILL spend.

Or am I way off here?

They will also have an added 17.5 mil to spend with the trading of Dalton and with the cutting of Glenn that is an extra 9.5 
and Kirkpatrick will be cut. This is just a preliminary thought from Hobspin. I don't take anything from it honestly. They are 
looking on extending AJ and Mixon which will be some dough and Dennard, Billings and Vigil I am sure.

Still enough to sign a decent LB like Jamie Collins, a decent CB like Bradley Roby and hopefully Glasgow.

Honestly if it was me I would bring in Jamie Collins, Roby and Conklin as the interior O-line in this Draft is very deep.

But that might be a bit too spendy and a dream scenario.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Schmitbuck - 03-14-2020

(03-14-2020, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They will also have an added 17.5 mil to spend with the trading of Dalton and with the cutting of Glenn that is an extra 9.5 
and Kirkpatrick will be cut. This is just a preliminary thought from Hobspin. I don't take anything from it honestly. They are 
looking on extending AJ and Mixon which will be some dough and Dennard, Billings and Vigil I am sure.

Still enough to sign a decent LB like Jamie Collins, a decent CB like Bradley Roby and hopefully Glasgow.

Honestly if it was me I would bring in Jamie Collins, Roby and Conklin as the interior O-line in this Draft is very deep.

I know you've mentioned Roby a few times, and while the talent is there, I don't want him on the Bengals. He's not a good locker room guy, too much of a me-first, head case. He had a few issues at OSU (one being faking a hamstring injury for the Clemson bowl game so he didn't have to face Sammy Watkins) and some more public ones in Denver. 

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Synric - 03-14-2020

(03-14-2020, 12:49 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: What's going on with the other $25m+ they will have? I know they don't plan on spending all of their available cap, nor should they, but that seems like a lot of money left if they figure a Mixon extension is part of the $25 million they WILL spend.

Or am I way off here?

They mentioned 11.7mil for 2020 draft picks and 8.6 mil in RFA tenders so that comes 20mil. 

(03-14-2020, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They will also have an added 17.5 mil to spend with the trading of Dalton and with the cutting of Glenn that is an extra 9.5 

I think the Dalton 17.7 and the AJ Green Franchise Tag when it happens will be a wash.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-14-2020

(03-14-2020, 04:19 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I know you've mentioned Roby a few times, and while the talent is there, I don't want him on the Bengals. He's not a good locker room guy, too much of a me-first, head case. He had a few issues at OSU (one being faking a hamstring injury for the Clemson bowl game so he didn't have to face Sammy Watkins) and some more public ones in Denver. 

Okay, didn't know about all that with Roby. Just watch him play a lot and he is decent.

I just think Byron Jones and Slay will be too expensive.

(03-14-2020, 05:42 PM)Synric Wrote: They mentioned 11.7mil for 2020 draft picks and 8.6 mil in RFA tenders so that comes 20mil. 

I think the Dalton 17.7 and the AJ Green Franchise Tag when it happens will be a wash.

Probably right but with cutting Glenn and Kirkpatrick and working on a team friendly deal with Green will help.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Geno_Can_Dunk - 03-15-2020

I just want to throw out names of guys that seem like typical Bengals mid-range targets, and who might have connections to Bengals. Not advocating, just predicting:

Derek Wolfe: Former bearcat, from Findlay OH, already rumored to be visiting.

Tahir Whitehead: Played under Al Golden when he was with Detroit, though Golden wasn't LB coach at the time. Also played at Temple, but not at the same time Golden was HC there. But still.

Daryl Williams, OL from Carolina: I don't know of any real connection but I think I recall our front office had a high grade on him. Former Oklahoma product and ZT seems to love himself those guys.

Mark Barron: not a FA but the Steelers will likely cut him. Connection to ZT with the rams, and you know how our FO loves guys that wouldn't work against the comp pick formula. And I believe he visited last year before signing with the Steelers, or at least we had contacted him.

Carl Nassib: Connection to Mark Duffner when he was with Tampa. Versatile guy, Anarumo would love him to play both DE and SLB in a hybrid front. TB might let him walk if they bring back Barrett and JPP as their top OLBs.

Eric Wilson, LB, Vikings: He's a RFA, but the Vikings are cap strapped so let's see what they tender him as. He was an udfa so if it's the original round tender it won't cost us anything. I think he would've overlapped with ZT at UC, and is known as a good intangibles guy.

Prince Amukamara: Has a history with Anarumo in NY. Can't see us going after him unless we cut Kirkpatrick (which unlike many of you I don't see as a given).

Elandon Roberts: I think he might have overlapped with our TEs coach at the University of Houston? Also a great intangibles guy.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-15-2020

(03-15-2020, 03:02 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I just want to throw out names of guys that seem like typical Bengals mid-range targets, and who might have connections to Bengals. Not advocating, just predicting:

Derek Wolfe: Former bearcat, from Findlay OH, already rumored to be visiting.

Tahir Whitehead: Played under Al Golden when he was with Detroit, though Golden wasn't LB coach at the time. Also played at Temple, but not at the same time Golden was HC there. But still.

Daryl Williams, OL from Carolina: I don't know of any real connection but I think I recall our front office had a high grade on him. Former Oklahoma product and ZT seems to love himself those guys.

Mark Barron: not a FA but the Steelers will likely cut him. Connection to ZT with the rams, and you know how our FO loves guys that wouldn't work against the comp pick formula. And I believe he visited last year before signing with the Steelers, or at least we had contacted him.

Carl Nassib: Connection to Mark Duffner when he was with Tampa. Versatile guy, Anarumo would love him to play both DE and SLB in a hybrid front. TB might let him walk if they bring back Barrett and JPP as their top OLBs.

Eric Wilson, LB, Vikings: He's a RFA, but the Vikings are cap strapped so let's see what they tender him as. He was an udfa so if it's the original round tender it won't cost us anything. I think he would've overlapped with ZT at UC, and is known as a good intangibles guy.

Prince Amukamara: Has a history with Anarumo in NY. Can't see us going after him unless we cut Kirkpatrick (which unlike many of you I don't see as a given).

Elandon Roberts: I think he might have overlapped with our TEs coach at the University of Houston? Also a great intangibles guy.

Great post GCD. Gotta say, I like a lot of these players and it all makes sense. I would be happy with a FA of Whitehead, Wolfe,
Daryl Williams and Amukamara. More than happy. BTW, Kirkpatrick is already selling his Bengal gear, I bet he is cut very soon.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Shake n Blake - 03-15-2020

(03-11-2020, 08:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is why the ranking in "(sacks + holding) per snap" is a more accurate measure than just "sacks per snap".

And in that more accurate measure Hart was 13th among 64 starting OTs.

Sacks and holds aren't the only negative plays that can be allowed by a tackle. What about pressures?

Or am I way off here?

If they only spend $25 million, I'd be pretty ticked. The salary cap just rose $10 million (to $198.2 million). They cut Glenn ($10 million), and Dalton will be gone (another $17 million). They should be around $80 million under the cap with very few players that are worthy of a big pay raise. We should be blowing up free agency, frankly.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - bengals1969 - 03-15-2020

(03-15-2020, 07:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sacks and holds aren't the only negative plays that can be allowed by a tackle. What about pressures?

If they only spend $25 million, I'd be pretty ticked. The salary cap just rose $10 million (to $198.2 million). They cut Glenn ($10 million), and Dalton will be gone (another $17 million). They should be around $80 million under the cap with very few players that are worthy of a big pay raise. We should be blowing up free agency, frankly.

That $80 million is about right without taking into account AJ’s and Mixon’s deals. Heck maybe it’s 90 million if Dre is gone.
This is the biggest opportunity the Bengals have ever had to radically improve their team over 1 season given they also draft at the top for 7 rounds. Could be decades before another opportunity like this arises. So I’m cautiously optimistic they will be very active in FA.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Jason_NC - 03-15-2020

The only thing I "expect" from the Bengals is drafting burrow.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Shake n Blake - 03-15-2020

(03-15-2020, 07:50 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: That $80 million is about right without taking into account AJ’s and Mixon’s deals. Heck maybe it’s 90 million if Dre is gone.
This is the biggest opportunity the Bengals have ever had to radically improve their team over 1 season given they also draft at the top for 7 rounds. Could be decades before another opportunity like this arises. So I’m cautiously optimistic they will be very active in FA.

AJ should make much more on his next deal than his current one. Mixon is the only player I see who is in line for a substantial raise. But yeah, I totally agree. This is the best opportunity the Bengals have had to be extremely active in free agency. If they aren't, they're going to head into the season with massive cap space to spare, and I'm sure that'll set a great first impression for our new franchise QB and a fanbase that has reached a point of apathy.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - fredtoast - 03-15-2020

It is possible that we keep Dalton waiting for some team to lose a starter before the trade deadline in mid-season.

Everything is so fluid wityh QBs on the market or possibly on the market. I have never seen so many starting QBs possibltychanging teams.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - J24 - 03-15-2020

Alec Ogletree off LB, Trumain Johnson CB, and Paul Richardson WR. All those guys have been cut and won't effect there Comp picks for next season.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - jfkbengals - 03-15-2020

Apparently he has inked with Houston

RE: Free Agency expectations? - JerseyDD09 - 03-16-2020

(03-15-2020, 08:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is possible that we keep Dalton waiting for some team to lose a starter before the trade deadline in mid-season.

Everything is so fluid wityh QBs on the market or possibly on the market.  I have never seen so many starting QBs possibltychanging teams.

I still think there's a good possibility he gets traded to the Colts, Bears, SD or even NE even if TB re-signs. The Bengals may eat some, half or most of his salary this year to make it happen and get a decent draft pick in return.

But, I like your idea strictly b/c the Bengals would be holding the cards for a desperate team who could be in the playoff hunt. Then, they could command a 2 or 3 pick. But, keeping that 17.5 Mill on the cap for a backup mentor is awfully pricey and wishful thinking don't ya think?

RE: Free Agency expectations? - samhain - 03-16-2020

I have no idea hat to expect. I think it might be similar to 2003 or 2011.

Acquisitions will be defense-heavy. I think expecting a major OL signing is fool's gold. I believe Hobson when he says they are okay with what they have. Any o-line additions will likely come in the draft.

I could see additions on each level. Roughly, something like Wolfe, Whitehead, and Logan Ryan might be an approximate guess. That group might come in at a hair under the 25 mil Hobson throws out as the allotment.

I think that they will seek to compliment Burrow early in the draft. That's why they will lean toward defense in FA. I see them itching to get a WR at 3, and addressing the D in FA will make that easier.

Despite what people say about Dunlap, Green, Atkins, etc remaining, this team is rebuilding for a new era. This offseason is phase 1 much as 2011 was for the Dalton-Green era. If the o-line sucks again, they will fix it next draft.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - samhain - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 12:03 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I still think there's a good possibility he gets traded to the Colts, Bears, SD or even NE even if TB re-signs. The Bengals may eat some, half or most of his salary this year to make it happen and get a decent draft pick in return.

But, I like your idea strictly b/c the Bengals would be holding the cards for a desperate team who could be in the playoff hunt. Then, they could command a 2 or 3 pick. But, keeping that 17.5 Mill on the cap for a backup mentor is awfully pricey and wishful thinking don't ya think?

I doubt many people in Bengaldom are wishful for a 17 million dollar backup. I think most people would be pissed that they didn't find a way to get a pick or at least liquidate the salary to acquire players in FA.

If Andy remains as a backup with no opportunity to start elsewhere and the Bengals are on the hook for that salary after the dust clears, something has gone horribly wrong for everyone involved.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 03-16-2020

(03-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They are scouring the 3rd tier market to find the best guys - that is what I expect to happen.

What I am hoping will happen is that we sign an established upper level OG to stabilize the line. It would be well worth the money spent.

I expect us to be paying second tier money to third tier guys.

RE: Free Agency expectations? - Au165 - 03-16-2020

Desmond Trufant just got cut by Atlanta,. He could be a higher tier option at CB to look at.