Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton (/Thread-Patriots-jump-to-the-lead-for-Dalton)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Nately120 - 03-20-2020

(03-19-2020, 10:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You really think the Front Office sees the Joe Burrow - Andy Dalton dynamic as parallel to Carson Palmer - Jon Kitna?

I don't know.  I"m just saying right now there is a genuine hold on NFL stuff in a sense because of this quarantine thing, and Mike Brown might not be able to trade a QB to a team that doesn't have Hue Jackson offering a king's ransom.  Add in the fact that Dalton wants to start but he's not going to demand a trade and he might just stick around due to all the factors rolled into one.

In that sense I could spin it positive that getting a real QB in Burrow's ear is helpful and getting Burrow as good as possible is supposed to pay off for us for the next 15+ years.  So yes, we can spin that Dalton with a clipboard is the best thing going forward.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - bengals1969 - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 11:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know.  I"m just saying right now there is a genuine hold on NFL stuff in a sense because of this quarantine thing, and Mike Brown might not be able to trade a QB to a team that doesn't have Hue Jackson offering a king's ransom.  Add in the fact that Dalton wants to start but he's not going to demand a trade and he might just stick around due to all the factors rolled into one.

In that sense I could spin it positive that getting a real QB in Burrow's ear is helpful and getting Burrow as good as possible is supposed to pay off for us for the next 15+ years.  So yes, we can spin that Dalton with a clipboard is the best thing going forward.

I'm with you. 
Remember the Bengals and Dalton have an understanding.  Both want to do right by Dalton.  Cutting him when there are no spots doesn't do right by Dalton since he's out $17 million with no prospect of employment for many months to come.  The best franchises in the NFL, MLB or NBA are noted for doing right by there stars at the end of their careers, see the LA Lakers and Kobe Bryant.  Now they have LeBron and Davis.  Doing right by Dalton means waiting for an opportunity.

(03-20-2020, 12:05 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I'm with you. 
Remember the Bengals and Dalton have an understanding.  Both want to do right by Dalton.  Cutting him when there are no spots doesn't do right by Dalton since he's out $17 million with no prospect of employment for many months to come.  The best franchises in the NFL, MLB or NBA are noted for doing right by there stars at the end of their careers, see the LA Lakers and Kobe Bryant.  Now they have LeBron and Davis.  Doing right by Dalton means waiting for an opportunity.

I'm not sure if Mike Brown can or will do right by Dalton.  Remember, Dalton took a team-friendly deal and we capitalized on it by having 4 crap seasons in a row where Dalton was often being driven into the turf.  I realize I rag on Mike Brown, but Dalton's loyalty to the guy hasn't paid off lately.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - jj22 - 03-20-2020

Pats and Jags shouldn't think Dalton will be released. If offseason programs and everything is cancelled through the summer, MB may want a vet to start instead of a rookie with now spring work.

If no trade is done, I think Dalton is here well past the draft until things get back to normal and MB knows the season will start on time and we have some OTA's.

Or players at least being able to work out together.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - fredtoast - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pats and Jags shouldn't think Dalton will be released. If offseason programs and everything is cancelled through the summer, MB may want a vet to start instead of a rookie with now spring work.

If no trade is done, I think Dalton is here well past the draft until things get back to normal and MB knows the season will start on time and we have some OTA's.

Last time we started a rookie QB we had no OTAs due to the players strike.  And it was even worse because we also had a rookie OC so not even the vets knew his system.

What Dalton did his rookie season was more impressive than many want to give him credit for.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 12:24 AM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: Not one for "conspiracy theories" but Thuney is the first player to sign his tender this year. Possibly a sign and trade scenario. Add in the Bengals being more active this offseason, the Bears giving a 4th rounder in a trade for Foles (a price most of us would be happy to get for Dalton) and maybe, just maybe, I had enough bourbon tonight to believe it could happen

I like your Bourbon thoughts Jojo.  Smirk

(03-20-2020, 12:41 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Oh i totally agree. The pats offense needs weapons desperately. But have you watched that offense evolve over the years? A more traditional offense when they won their first super bowls, then they try to add moss, then built around the slot receiver welker. Then they switch it up and go to 2 tight end sets with gronk and hernandez, then lately what they did with edelman, amendola and gronk.

Their system will evolve. They need more weapons. With all the weapons available in the draft i bet bill has a creative way to evolve again this year.

I just dont think an aging mobile qb with injury issues is the way forward.
Most coaches shy away from that approach bc the success can’t be sustained as long due to injury risk.

I hope the pats suck this year but i wouldnt bet against them. If they do tank this year they’ll come back better then ever.

I do think bill learned from getting beat by mobile qbs. I bet he’ll adjust his defense. But i dont think he’d reshape his offense with an old and injured mobile qb. It would have to be a young one if he wanted to give it a shot. But again, odds are it wouldnt last long due to injury.

Feel the same, think Dalton is much more likely than Newton for the Pats Offense.

Hoping Gamma Ray's prediction comes true and we can trade Dalton for Thuney while swapping picks.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Shouldamapads - 03-20-2020

Before the FA period, I thought for sure NE was going to be his home. Right now it s in a holding pattern.

This is clearly just a thought of conspiracy, but maybe the NFL did want to leave some drama in the first pick and the Bengals/NE were instructed to wait until the draft to announce? I mean sure the speculation that the Dolphins are after Burrow, but if Dalton is announced traded it holds less suspense that it would be Burrow #1.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - JerseyDD09 - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 02:09 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Before the FA period, I thought for sure NE was going to be his home.  Right now it s in a holding pattern.  

This is clearly just a thought of conspiracy, but maybe the NFL did want to leave some drama in the first pick and the Bengals/NE were instructed to wait until the draft to announce?  I mean sure the speculation that the Dolphins are after Burrow, but if Dalton is announced traded it holds less suspense that it would be Burrow #1.

I mean, are you serious? Didn't you get the memo, the NFL is not the WWE. Shocked Shocked Shocked

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Hoofhearted - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pats and Jags shouldn't think Dalton will be released. If offseason programs and everything is cancelled through the summer, MB may want a vet to start instead of a rookie with now spring work.

I think there's a 1% chance AD is here next year

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Shouldamapads - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 02:16 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I mean, are you serious? Didn't you get the memo, the NFL is not the WWE. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I didn't say it was true, but there is big money in the draft.  Now there likely won't be a damn crowd, so who knows.

(03-20-2020, 12:05 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I'm with you. 

He'll have no problem finding a team after he's cut. Question is will he take a huge pay/reduction in role cut to do so?

(03-20-2020, 02:20 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think there's a 1% chance AD is here next year

If MB doesn't get him traded before the draft and then cuts him, it's then too late to spend that $17 Mill on anyone worth anything to help them. So, what happens to that money? Does it rollover to next year's Cap if not spent?

(03-20-2020, 02:21 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I didn't say it was true, but there is big money in the draft.  Now there likely won't be a damn crowd, so who knows.

I hope for the sake of the NFL they aren't actually banking on Andy Dalton drama to save them.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
(03-20-2020, 02:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hope for the sake of the NFL they aren't actually banking on Andy Dalton drama to save them.

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - McC - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 02:23 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He'll have no problem finding a team after he's cut. Question is will he take a huge pay/reduction in role cut to do so?

Sometimes a guy just has to face the reality of his situation and decide just how much he wants his career to continue.  Honestly, what better job is there than backup QB?

(03-20-2020, 02:28 PM)McC Wrote: Sometimes a guy just has to face the reality of his situation and decide just how much he wants his career to continue.  Honestly, what better job is there than backup QB?

Best job on earth to me is a backup QB who never goes in the game.  Problem is, people who like the idea of sitting on a bench aren't likely to spend much time in the NFL.

But hey, a QB coach is like a QB who never plays. ZT didn't even throw a pass in the CFL and he's our HC so he's like the ultimate backup QB.

(03-20-2020, 02:28 PM)McC Wrote: Sometimes a guy just has to face the reality of his situation and decide just how much he wants his career to continue.  Honestly, what better job is there than backup QB?

Yep. But these types of guys have pride/egos that somehow get in the way :andy:

(03-20-2020, 02:24 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: If MB doesn't get him traded before the draft and then cuts him, it's then too late to spend that $17 Mill on anyone worth anything to help them. So, what happens to that money? Does it rollover to next year's Cap if not spent?

They basically already spent that money with this FA class

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Wes Mantooth - 03-20-2020

Where is Bfine's expertise on all things Andy Dalton?

I feel like he's been uncharacteristically quiet on the subject as of late.

All joking aside, maybe Bfine caught a case of the Rona???

RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - fredtoast - 03-20-2020

(03-20-2020, 02:24 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: If MB doesn't get him traded before the draft and then cuts him, it's then too late to spend that $17 Mill on anyone worth anything to help them. So, what happens to that money? Does it rollover to next year's Cap if not spent?

Contract extension for Joe Mixon or William Jackson.