Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? (/Thread-Who-ends-up-the-3rd-WR-at-the-end-of-the-season)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - SHRacerX - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 01:44 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Anyone remember when people here were ready to anoint Willis as the next AJ Green last year.

Whatever

Haha, I don't know about that, but the guy looked really good in preseason.  

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - ochocincos - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 12:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree, the chances of Ross being a Bengal next season are slim at best. The only way I see him staying on the team is 1. AJ goes out injured again and that pretty much wraps up his career as a Bengal. 2. Ross and Burrow just light up the scoreboard.

This isn't about hate, Ross can't help he was over drafted. I just have doubts he's ever going to be a reliable  #1 or #2 or #3 ? Reliable staying healthy and on the field, reliable running the correct routes, showing up in crunch time, catching the damn ball.

I'd love, LOVE it if Ross played in 15 and 1/2 games, went for 1,150 receiving with 10 TD's, 185 rushing with a TD this season ! I'm just skeptical that's gonna happen

We're talking about WR3...those numbers you list are great WR2 numbers and good WR1 numbers.
An appropriate target for WR3 is 700 yards, 3 TDs.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - GreenCornBengal - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 01:44 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Anyone remember when people here were ready to anoint Willis as the next AJ Green last year.

Whatever

Another strategic move in ZTs planned 2019 tank job!! Lol

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - Burreaux - 05-18-2020

I’m guessing Green, Boyd, and Higgins. Tate will be the 4th. Ross will hit free agency.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - bengalfan74 - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We're talking about WR3...those numbers you list are great WR2 numbers and good WR1 numbers.

I wasn't meaning Ross/WR#3 should have those numbers. I was talking for Ross to be considered for another contract he needs those kinda numbers.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - kevin - 05-18-2020

(05-16-2020, 12:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Drafting of Tee Higgins makes the WR room alot more
Intresting to say the least
If Higgins can translate to the pro game does he claim that
Spot?
If John Ross can stay healthy does he secure that
Role all year?
Auden Tate isn't brought up too much but
He did really come into his own last year .
He showed the doubters he can play at this
Level despite inaccurate QBs throwing jim
The ball
The 3rd WR spot has been lacking some
Juice since Sanu left
Erickson never flashed much big play ability
Why think of just 3 ?    How about times when AJ Green,  Boyd, Ross and this pick 33 on the field at the same time for Burrow and still room for Mixon at RB in a no TE package.  Or empty backfield with a TE.   

The thing with Burrow is LSU gave him lots of targets to throw to, and Bengals are stupid if they don't.   Plus what Bengals normal offense has been hasn't won a play-off game since 1990 season of 30 years ago.   So no point putting a round peg in a square hole in making Top Pick QB fit awful system.  Change up the system.  I see a Saints or LSU wide open offense heading to Cincy. 

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - SHRacerX - 05-19-2020

(05-18-2020, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We're talking about WR3...those numbers you list are great WR2 numbers and good WR1 numbers.

He could be third in targets by some distance but could have ridiculous YPR numbers.  His strength should be to offer big plays.  

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - SHRacerX - 05-19-2020

(05-18-2020, 09:18 PM)kevin Wrote: Why think of just 3 ?    How about times when AJ Green,  Boyd, Ross and this pick 33 on the field at the same time for Burrow and still room for Mixon at RB in a no TE package.  Or empty backfield with a TE.   

The thing with Burrow is LSU gave him lots of targets to throw to, and Bengals are stupid if they don't.   Plus what Bengals normal offense has been hasn't won a play-off game since 1990 season of 30 years ago.   So no point putting a round peg in a square hole in making Top Pick QB fit awful system.  Change up the system.  I see a Saints or LSU wide open offense heading to Cincxy. 

The coaching staff has already been talking about rotations in many position groups, including WR.  They want to keep guys fresh, and get a lot of guys involved in the offense.  

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - bengalfan74 - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The coaching staff has already been talking about rotations in many position groups, including WR.  They want to keep guys fresh, and get a lot of guys involved in the offense.  

Like others have said last season was or quickly became an evaluation season. I believe that will continue to a degree this season and be part of the reason they'll be rotating guys in and out. They'll be seeing who's gonna be Bengals in 2021.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - BengalChris - 05-19-2020

(05-16-2020, 12:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Drafting of Tee Higgins makes the WR room alot more
Intresting to say the least
If Higgins can translate to the pro game does he claim that
Spot?
If John Ross can stay healthy does he secure that
Role all year?
Auden Tate isn't brought up too much but
He did really come into his own last year .
He showed the doubters he can play at this
Level despite inaccurate QBs throwing jim
The ball
The 3rd WR spot has been lacking some
Juice since Sanu left
Erickson never flashed much big play ability

Probably whoever is healthy. No way to guess who it would be at this point, other than the odds would be that Ross will be on IR by then anyways.

As far as Higgins versus Ross my guess is that it will come down to production in games and practice. Edge to Higgins in my book, but who really knows how well he'll absorb the playbook.

Tate will get his share and Erickson, if he makes the team, would be the #6 guy, but my guess is that he'll be edged out by someone.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - SHRacerX - 05-20-2020

(05-19-2020, 08:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Probably whoever is healthy. No way to guess who it would be at this point, other than the odds would be that Ross will be on IR by then anyways.

As far as Higgins versus Ross my guess is that it will come down to production in games and practice. Edge to Higgins in my book, but who really knows how well he'll absorb the playbook.

Tate will get his share and Erickson, if he makes the team, would be the #6 guy, but my guess is that he'll be edged out by someone.

I think "the other" Michael Thomas might bump Erickson due to his special teams ability on all phases.  

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-20-2020

A year ago at this time there were rumors that the Bengals were receiving trade offers for Erickson but turned them down. I wonder if it's still possible to trade him? At 1.9 million he'd make a decent #3 or #4 WR for somebody else (like Brady's type of WR in Tampa perhaps). And whatever slot production he'd contribute could be replaced by Gio, whom we should get more involved anyway.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - BengalChris - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think "the other" Michael Thomas might bump Erickson due to his special teams ability on all phases.  

I forgot about him. In fact, when we signed him I hadn't even been aware that there was another Michael Thomas. I'm still forgetting him.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - fredtoast - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 11:29 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote:  And whatever slot production he'd contribute could be replaced by Gio, whom we should get more involved anyway.

Gio is a good receiver, but there is a big difference between a RB as a receiver and  WR.

RBs run very limited routes (screens, swing passes, wheel routes, underneath drag) while WRs work on getting open with precision route running skills or timing patterns.

I am not some huge Erickson fan, but he is cheap and versatile.  Plus we have zero depth at WR.  I don't see why we would even consider trading him.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not some huge Erickson fan, but he is cheap and versatile.  Plus we have zero depth at WR.  I don't see why we would even consider trading him.

Zero depth? He'd basically be our 6th WR right now. Boyd, Green, Higgins, Ross, Tate all ahead of him. Plus Thomas and perhaps Morgan or Washington are gunning for roster spots. "Cheap" for a roster spot like that is under a million dollars, not the 1.9 Erickson is still owed. 

I'm also just looking for ways to afford another OL and another Edge player. 

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - BengalChris - 05-20-2020

(05-18-2020, 12:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree, the chances of Ross being a Bengal next season are slim at best. The only way I see him staying on the team is 1. AJ goes out injured again and that pretty much wraps up his career as a Bengal. 2. Ross and Burrow just light up the scoreboard.

This isn't about hate, Ross can't help he was over drafted. I just have doubts he's ever going to be a reliable  #1 or #2 or #3 ? Reliable staying healthy and on the field, reliable running the correct routes, showing up in crunch time, catching the damn ball.

I'd love, LOVE it if Ross played in 15 and 1/2 games, went for 1,150 receiving with 10 TD's, 185 rushing with a TD this season ! I'm just skeptical that's gonna happen

Yeah. That's more than he's done in 3 years combined, and short of a good season there's no reason to re-sign him as there will be a rookie in the draft who will do that same work for less money and hopefully be reliable.

We have all year to see who the best 3 receivers are and see who stays healthy.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - fredtoast - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 01:29 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Zero depth? He'd basically be our 6th WR right now. Boyd, Green, Higgins, Ross, Tate all ahead of him. Plus Thomas and perhaps Morgan or Washington are gunning for roster spots. "Cheap" for a roster spot like that is under a million dollars, not the 1.9 Erickson is still owed. 

I'm also just looking for ways to afford another OL and another Edge player. 

With Ross and Green the #6 WR can very quickly become the #4 WR.

Thomas, Morgan, and Washington = Zero depth.

And finally we are no where near the cap limit.  Saving a few hundred thousand is not going to make any difference in signing another OL or edge player.  And it is not worth cutting a WR when we have zero depth at that position.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - bengalfan74 - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: With Ross and Green the #6 WR can very quickly become the #4 WR.

And finally we are no where near the cap limit.  Saving a few hundred thousand is not going to make any difference in signing another OL or edge player.  And it is not worth cutting a WR when we have zero depth at that position.

For sure

And that's why they need to choose very carefully who WR's 3,4,5,6, and 7 are.

RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - ochocincos - 05-20-2020

(05-18-2020, 06:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wasn't meaning Ross/WR#3 should have those numbers. I was talking for Ross to be considered for another contract he needs those kinda numbers.

I think that's unrealistic/unfair then. 

You think it's fair to expect a WR3/4 to have to put up good WR1 numbers to earn a new contract?
I think if Ross puts up 700/3 or better, you offer him WR3 money.

(05-20-2020, 01:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: With Ross and Green the #6 WR can very quickly become the #4 WR.

I said trade, not cut. I wouldn't cut him either. But if we can get sure-fire value, and free up over a million dollars (not a few hundred thousand) it would make sense. If nothing else it can be rolled into next year and used productively, rather than overpaying a guy to ride the bench. If Ross and Green are both down I still don't think having Erickson as the #4 versus Thomas or somebody we get off the waiver wire as the #4 is going to make any real difference.