Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How likely to see NFL - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: How likely to see NFL (/Thread-How-likely-to-see-NFL)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: How likely to see NFL - BrownAssClown - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 04:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The NFL 2020 Week 7 will look like this:

There's a whole bunch of limbered up and ready to go ex XFL players chomping at the bit for an opportunity.

RE: How likely to see NFL - BrownAssClown - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Or, I could be like the rest of you all and just throw my hands up and say there's no way... there's no way. Such pessimism...

I think MLB is going to be the test bed, if things go somewhat smoothly, I think we may have football this fall. I'm taking a let's wait and see approach.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nately120 - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Or, I could be like the rest of you all and just throw my hands up and say there's no way... there's no way. Such pessimism...

Or realism.  I'm not saying the season WON'T happen, I can just see that there are going to be some massive challenges for the season to happen and to not get shut down during said season.  I don't think anyone here is being pessimistic, it's just being able to separate what you want to happen from what you think will happen.

Some might say being overly optimistic about this whole covid thing is why it is getting harder and harder to believe that victory is just over the next hill.

RE: How likely to see NFL - bengals1969 - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh horsehockey. They have tests that give results in less than 15 minutes. If everyone is tested before each practice and game, they have less chance of contracting it in a controlled environment, even while playing, than they do by going out to a restaurant or clubbing, or going to a backyard cookout while they are sitting out the season. Does anyone really think these 20 something year olds with pockets of cash are going to sit home and quarantine they whole time???

Look at the US airlines flying passengers today.  They do it in different ways but all require passengers to wear masks.  They get their flight crews to show up, they aren't getting sick.  People in the terminals are wearing masks as well.  If they can operate in close proximity with 10's of thousands of people then the NFL can too.  The latest uptick with Wuhan happened right after many cities broke quarantine and went nuts for a couple weeks, that didn't have to be.  Had that break not happened,  I think the virus would have receded enough by now the leagues would be more confident in having their seasons.

The NFL will take its own precautions, no doubt.  For instance stagger the clubhouse activities so at any given time fewer players are showering, dressing, lounging around.  Stagger on field activities and take advantage of local fields to spread out the team during training camp and in season practices.  Testing everyday.  No roommates during training camps.  Hire sanitation crews to work 24x7 at the training complexes and stadiums.
I'm sure there are many other better ideas the league is studying so they can safely play this season.

RE: How likely to see NFL - fredtoast - 07-08-2020

I realize that this is pretty much the ONLY topic we have to talk about right now, but we are honestly just talking in circles.

This is new to everyone. None of us know what will happen. Even though MLB and the NBA are gearing up to re-start those plans could b cancelled as things get worse.

And I am pretty sure EVERYONE is desperate for some professional sports.

No one wants to cancel the NFL season just for political reasons. But it has become impossible to give an opinion without being dragged into the political debate.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 03:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: When's the last time 30 million Americans got the flu in 3 months? 18/19 was the most ever in a season and it was only 42.9 million.

Distancing has to do with keeping hospitals clear and trying to kill the spread, it has NEVER been about ******* deaths.

WTF do people not understand about that?

Think about it as you answered the question without knowing.

If 3 million confirmed and CDC estimates another 30 had it but did not know it, how serious was it to those 30 million people? They obviously had mild to no symptoms so no worse than the common cold to those 30 million.

We are learning daily, noone says it is not a serious issue for those older Americans who have underlying medical issues, but the good news is the death rate among younger and healthy people is low and gets lower daily.

This is not a political issue either. The virus does not care who you voted for, but it will target you based on medical history. age and race.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nately120 - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 06:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is not a political issue either. The virus does not care who you voted for, but it will target you based on medical history. age and race.

I think he means that you can usually tell what someone's political affiliation is based upon how he views covid and what we should do about it.

RE: How likely to see NFL - fredtoast - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 06:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If 3 million confirmed and CDC estimates another 30 had it but did not know it, how serious was it to those 30 million people?

It could have been very serious.

Just because they did not know they had Covid-19 does not mean they were not sick.  My nephew got extremely sick.  Very high temperature terrible headache and body aches, lot's of coughing.  But he was never tested, so he is not a "confirmed" Covid-19.  His doctor did not even want him to come to hios office unlesss he started having trouble breathing.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Yojimbo - 07-08-2020

Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports. Not a good omen for NFL or college football.

RE: How likely to see NFL - bengalfan74 - 07-08-2020

(07-08-2020, 10:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ivy League just cancelled all fall sports. Not a good omen for NFL or college football.

UNC had 37 team member test positive so their football program is on hold.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Atomic Orange - 07-08-2020

Bengals appear to have had one of their best offseason's in a long time. Of coarse the season is going to be cancelled. Ninja

Seriously though - if they start kneeling and all that shit i'm probably done anyway. I'm definitely finished watching other NFL games. TBH i haven't really been enjoying the soft league for a few years anyway.

RE: How likely to see NFL - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-09-2020

(07-08-2020, 06:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Think about it as you answered the question without knowing.

If 3 million confirmed and CDC estimates another 30 had it but did not know it, how serious was it to those 30 million people? They obviously had mild to no symptoms so no worse than the common cold to those 30 million.

We are learning daily, noone says it is not a serious issue for those older Americans who have underlying medical issues, but the good news is the death rate among younger and healthy people is low and gets lower daily.

This is not a political issue either. The virus does not care who you voted for, but it will target you based on medical history. age and race.

People weren’t tested because a lack of test kits, not because they weren’t sick.

It took almost 6 months for our ER to get rapid Covid 19 testing. Prior to that if you were sick enough to be in the ER, but not sick enough to be admitted into the ICU you weren’t getting tested for Covid 19 because they didn’t have enough tests for ER use. You couldn’t get tested in any of the specialty clinics. You couldn’t get tested in any of the family practice clinics. Hospital wide throughout the region you could only get tested in the ICU until at least May. If you had full blown bilateral pneumonia that could be treated on an outpatient basis, you couldn’t get tested for Covid 19.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:15 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: People weren’t tested because a lack of test kits, not because they weren’t sick.

It took almost 6 months for our ER to get rapid Covid 19 testing. Prior to that if you were sick enough to be in the ER, but not sick enough to be admitted into the ICU you weren’t getting tested for Covid 19 because they didn’t have enough tests for ER use. You couldn’t get tested in any of the specialty clinics. You couldn’t get tested in any of the family practice clinics. Hospital wide throughout the region you could only get tested in the ICU until at least May. If you had full blown bilateral pneumonia that could be treated on an outpatient basis, you couldn’t get tested for Covid 19.

There were definite testing issues. I was very sick for 2 months, but had no temperature so no test for me. I have had the flu and bronchitis and this felt different. I finally got not one but 2 anti body tests because my doctor thought first test was wrong. I did not have it so I guess I just had the flu.

Fast forward to today and 600K tests are being performed a day. Anyone can also get the anti body test also, just get doctor to prescribe it,

RE: How likely to see NFL - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There were definite testing issues. I was very sick for 2 months, but had no temperature so no test for me. I have had the flu and bronchitis and this felt different. I finally got not one but 2 anti body tests because my doctor thought first test was wrong. I did not have it so I guess I just had the flu.

Fast forward to today and 600K tests are being performed a day. Anyone can also get the anti body test also, just get doctor to prescribe it,

And you were “very” sick and couldn’t get tested. You’re an example of my point.

RE: How likely to see NFL - PAjwPhilly - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There were definite testing issues. I was very sick for 2 months, but had no temperature so no test for me. I have had the flu and bronchitis and this felt different. I finally got not one but 2 anti body tests because my doctor thought first test was wrong. I did not have it so I guess I just had the flu.

Depending on state law... certain blood tests can be ordered by a doctor w/o even seeing you. What you end up doing is using some remote doctor that just okays simple blood work en masse.

My point being... I know LabCorp in PA charges $10 to have "their" doctor order your blood work. After that the test goes through insurance if you have it, or a government agency if you don't (it is a menu option)... I know Medicare B covers antibody tests.... Your state may make it harder to initialize the blood work and your insurance might have a fee... but I found it VERY easy to get an antibody test. And that was only my 4rd time using civilian healthcare in about 20 years.

*Again antibody tests tell you about PAST exposure and require a blood draw... the nasal swab tests are the only way to confirm that you are actually sick.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-antibody-test

P.S. I am retired military with a college education in biochemistry and molecular biology (and a grad school dropout, lol). I in no way work for LabCorp. I would bet Quest diagnostics would have a similar system in place to easily order the blood work. I just went with LabCorp because $10 seemed very fair to me.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Jhowdy54 - 07-09-2020

Its hard driving around and seeing city ball parks packed with cars, adults, and kids. This going on and were struggling to even play baseball or football at the pro level with no fans. I'd say about 50% of kids out there don't even bother covering their nose when they sneeze or whatever.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Big Boss - 07-09-2020

(07-08-2020, 05:10 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I think MLB is going to be the test bed, if things go somewhat smoothly, I think we may have football this fall. I'm taking a let's wait and see approach.

But even then, they'd be drawing a false equivalency.  Baseball is a low-contact sport.  Football is not.  

RE: How likely to see NFL - Socal Bengals fan - 07-09-2020

This Covid 19 virus is so deadly and bad, people have to get tested to see if they have or have had it. :)

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 01:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And you were “very” sick and couldn’t get tested. You’re an example of my point.

I was agreeing with your point.

I was very sick for 2 months, I was convinced it was the virus. But, later I found out as tests became available, I never had the China virus so not sure what I had, but I was a mess.

My doctor also would not see me in person, we did everything over phone and virtually.

Good news is testing issues has been resolved so now people can see more quickly if they have the virus now or have had had it in the past.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:19 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This Covid 19 virus is so deadly and bad, people have to get tested to see if they have or have had it.    :)

I sense... Sarcasm