Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How likely to see NFL - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: How likely to see NFL (/Thread-How-likely-to-see-NFL)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nately120 - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:19 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This Covid 19 virus is so deadly and bad, people have to get tested to see if they have or have had it.    :)

I think the testing is to prevent people from spreading it when they have little to no symptoms. Once the thing kicks in it seems pretty obvious a person is ill.

I will say I've heard a lot of people claim they probably already had covid without knowing what it was but that sounds like mostly self promoting bs.

RE: How likely to see NFL - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was agreeing with your point.

I was very sick for 2 months, I was convinced it was the virus. But, later I found out as tests became available, I never had the China virus so not sure what I had, but I was a mess.

My doctor also would not see me in person, we did everything over phone and virtually.

Good news is testing issues has been resolved so now people can see more quickly if they have the virus now or have had had it in the past.

Testing issues have improved, but aren’t resolved.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Truck_1_0_1_ - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 01:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the testing is to prevent people from spreading it when they have little to no symptoms. Once the thing kicks in it seems pretty obvious a person is ill.

I will say I've heard a lot of people claim they probably already had covid without knowing what it was but that sounds like mostly self promoting bs.

I definitely had something similar to it, in 2012; obviously it wasn't COVID-19, as it didn't exist yet, but my symptoms were identical to the ones everyone is mentioning, save for how long it lasted (It peaked around the 12 hour mark or so and got SLOWLY better from there; I'm talking 5 days).

Considering I haven't had the flu since I was 8 (and aside from 1 cold a year, NEVER get sick), lost my sense of taste and smell and had the worst shakes and chills (while sweating no less) I've ever had in my life, it was definitely something along the lines of these Coronaviruses.

Funny, it took me almost a month of this one to be around, to realize that I did have something similar; almost completely erased it from my mind lol

RE: How likely to see NFL - need2mellowout - 07-09-2020

MLS (soccer) started yesterday. Granted they're doing it all at Walt Disney Wide World of Sports complex keeping it in a "bubble". I'm not comparing this to the NFL. Just saying that this Covid is a such fluid situation and all major sports will have to be light on their feet to adapt. Will they delay if a vaccine is on the horizon, will all the players take it or will they shorten the season. Either way I'm in the this will be an asterisk season camp.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Millhouse - 07-09-2020

Great news, the season will be saved! NFL announced that they are going to ban exchanging jerseys after a game.

RE: How likely to see NFL - PAjwPhilly - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 12:19 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This Covid 19 virus is so deadly and bad, people have to get tested to see if they have or have had it.    :)

I travel frequently for months on end. I left the US in November and I was in northern Vietnam in February when the global panic started to hit. I was supposed to travel to India for Holi and then Everest base camp.... but I caught a ride home via Hong Kong with a 13-hour layover.  When I came home and had a simple check-up to reauthorize a prescription (for medicine the VA won't prescribe), the civilian doctor kicked me out of his office and told me to keep the pen I touched when signing in, all because I mentioned that I was recently in SE Asia. ZERO symptoms. A simple medicine refill appointment.

So when I reached out to PA's Department of Health and asked what I was to do... I was told what the doctor did was illegal and they logged a complaint against him.

But I chose to get the antibody test, because a positive result would mean I was exposed and wasn't one of the unlucky few whose immune system freaks out and kills them... Having a positive result would make my decision to travel internationally before a vaccine gets produced a lot easier. I don't want to get infected with the COVID-19 virus in India, Nepal, Honduras, Egypt (and I'll be in all of those nations 2021-2022).....

But in Thailand I was already deathly ill twice, so I have no issue with their medical services. Traveling around the world solo is fun until you get seriously sick... you have a big language barrier in Asia and being solo means you have no help. I had to teach myself how to read menus written in Thai script just so I could order enough liquids to drink (they have an app called Grab that is basically Uber, you can get rides and delivery but menus are written in Thai).... Picture spending $25 on drinks at McDonald's and having it delivered. There was really no other way I could get liquids, the tap water wasn't clean and I was way too sick to to even make it to the elevator in my hotel... I will never forgot Bangkok that's for sure.

RE: How likely to see NFL - BrownAssClown - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 08:26 AM)Big Boss Wrote: But even then, they'd be drawing a false equivalency.  Baseball is a low-contact sport.  Football is not.  

That's true, but if baseball has a lot of problems, let's hope they don't, it may give the NCAA and NFL even more to ponder going into the fall months. Another thing to consider, is this virus going to get worse in the colder months like some of the "experts" predict it will because people will be huddled inside closer together during the colder months? Who knows? We need better testing with faster results, better treatments to give people a quicker chance of recovery, and ultimately a vaccine that works. Praying we have one soon. Who Dey!

RE: How likely to see NFL - Wes Mantooth - 07-09-2020

If the NFL is going to go ahead with a season I think they're going to have to look at some sort of "bubble" or regional scheduling. Because as it stands now they'd be the only sport not doing something to limit travel.

-The NBA is playing all of the games in Orlando.

-MLB is playing all of their games by regional division. (Ex: The Reds schedule consists of NL and AL Central teams only.

-The MLS is also playing in a bubble for their tourney.

-The Big 10 is playing only conference games. (Only a matter of time before other conferences follow suit. Out of conference schedules are wrecked now)

-I believe the NHL is going to use a two-hub bubble. All games played in two cities.

So if we assume that sports do indeed start back up, and we assume the NFL is one of them, then I can't see them not making some change to where there games are played. Having every single other sport develop a scheduling plan while they NFL criss-crosses around the country isn't a good look. I'd imagine they have to be working out something as we speak.

I think they might best be served keeping the opponents on each teams the schedule the same if it's possible. Then maybe they could set up 4 cities to serve as hubs. Each team could then play a 4 game stretch in one city, before advancing to the next site for another 4 game stretch. I'm just spitballing here, but I would assume they have to come up with something to announce here shortly.

It's going to be a really interesting next 3 weeks. Baseball is due to start in two weeks. Basketball is due to start in three weeks. Training camps open in two weeks. NCAAF is ramping up with players arriving on campus and workouts and practices due here shortly. I think we're going to find out a whole helluva lot over this time span.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 07:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If the NFL is going to go ahead with a season I think they're going to have to look at some sort of "bubble" or regional scheduling.  Because as it stands now they'd be the only sport not doing something to limit travel.

-The NBA is playing all of the games in Orlando.

-MLB is playing all of their games by regional division. (Ex: The Reds schedule consists of NL and AL Central teams only.

-The MLS is also playing in a bubble for their tourney.

-The Big 10 is playing only conference games. (Only a matter of time before other conferences follow suit.  Out of conference schedules are wrecked now)

-I believe the NHL is going to use a two-hub bubble.  All games played in two cities.

So if we assume that sports do indeed start back up, and we assume the NFL is one of them, then I can't see them not making some change to where there games are played.  Having every single other sport develop a scheduling plan while they NFL criss-crosses around the country isn't a good look.  I'd imagine they have to be working out something as we speak.

I think they might best be served keeping the opponents on each teams the schedule the same if it's possible.  Then maybe they could set up 4 cities to serve as hubs.  Each team could then play a 4 game stretch in one city, before advancing to the next site for another 4 game stretch.  I'm just spitballing here, but I would assume they have to come up with something to announce here shortly.

It's going to be a really interesting next 3 weeks.  Baseball is due to start in two weeks. Basketball is due to start in three weeks.  Training camps open in two weeks.  NCAAF is ramping up with players arriving on campus and workouts and practices due here shortly.  I think we're going to find out a whole helluva lot over this time span.

I agree some type of creativity is needed for the NFL. Other than college, the other sports play multiple games each week and in some cases travel multiple times each week as well.

So, we will see how others do if they open up like MLB, the key to me moving forward is be less concerned about infection and protect those infected that have greater risk if death. I don't see us stopping infection, I do see us greatly reducing the death rate daily.

RE: How likely to see NFL - SunsetBengal - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 04:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I definitely had something similar to it, in 2012; obviously it wasn't COVID-19, as it didn't exist yet, but my symptoms were identical to the ones everyone is mentioning, save for how long it lasted (It peaked around the 12 hour mark or so and got SLOWLY better from there; I'm talking 5 days).

Considering I haven't had the flu since I was 8 (and aside from 1 cold a year, NEVER get sick), lost my sense of taste and smell and had the worst shakes and chills (while sweating no less) I've ever had in my life, it was definitely something along the lines of these Coronaviruses.

Funny, it took me almost a month of this one to be around, to realize that I did have something similar; almost completely erased it from my mind lol

Hmm, sounds to me like you were perhaps a victim of the much less popular, but much more annoying than deadly older cousin of Covid-19, who likely went by the name of Covid-12.. LOL

RE: How likely to see NFL - jason - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 06:46 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Great news, the season will be saved! NFL announced that they are going to ban exchanging jerseys after a game.

All snaps must be taken from the shotgun.

RE: How likely to see NFL - SunsetBengal - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 08:05 PM)jason Wrote: All snaps must be taken from the shotgun.

All tackles will be completed by yelling "Boo!" in the ball carriers face.  At which point, the ball carrier shall stop, dead in his tracks, and fall to the earth, thus stopping any more momentum from being gained.  Cheerio!

RE: How likely to see NFL - jason - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All tackles will be completed by yelling "Boo!" in the ball carriers face.  At which point, the ball carrier shall stop, dead in his tracks, and fall to the earth, thus stopping any more momentum from being gained.  Cheerio!

That's only a coupla notches below what defense has been reduced to in the modern NFL.

RE: How likely to see NFL - WhodeyRay - 07-10-2020

I fell it will happen but shouldn't this year. Way to much money on the line for the rich folks that donate to the political parties. What I find interesting is if it does happen what will be a validity of the season? Will some teams end up playing extra away games if their community gets hit hard and then loose the home field advantage, will half the starters have to quarantine because someone gets covid? I can see this being a year with an asterisk after the year.

RE: How likely to see NFL - fredtoast - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 11:03 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I fell it will happen but shouldn't this year. Way to much money on the line for the rich folks that donate to the political parties. What I find interesting is if it does happen what will be a validity of the season?  Will some teams end up playing extra away games if their community gets hit hard and then loose the home field advantage, will half the starters have to quarantine because someone gets covid? I can see this being a year with an asterisk after the year.

Who remembers when the Reds had the best record in baseball but did not make the playoffs because of crazy "strike year rules".

I don't think anything that dramatic will happen to the Bengals, but I could see something like Burrow being on pace to break rookie passing records when the season gets cancelled.

RE: How likely to see NFL - SladeX - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who remembers when the Reds had the best record in baseball but did not make the playoffs because of crazy "strike year rules".

I don't th8nk anything that dramatic will happen to the Bengals, but I could see something like Burrow being on pace to break rookie passing records when the season gets cancelled.

Yeah bro, I DO! A dark chapter in MLB history if there ever was one!

RE: How likely to see NFL - Truck_1_0_1_ - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who remembers when the Reds had the best record in baseball but did not make the playoffs because of crazy "strike year rules".

I don't think anything that dramatic will happen to the Bengals, but I could see something like Burrow being on pace to break rookie passing records when the season gets cancelled.

Is that '81?

'cause we all know the Expos were the #1 team in the league in '94... (and the Braves, my 2nd favourite team, had the 3rd best record in the majors, in the same division as Montreal; it would've come down to the wire like it did in '93, between the Braves and Giants).

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-10-2020

(07-09-2020, 07:03 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I travel frequently for months on end. I left the US in November and I was in northern Vietnam in February when the global panic started to hit. I was supposed to travel to India for Holi and then Everest base camp.... but I caught a ride home via Hong Kong with a 13-hour layover.  When I came home and had a simple check-up to reauthorize a prescription (for medicine the VA won't prescribe), the civilian doctor kicked me out of his office and told me to keep the pen I touched when signing in, all because I mentioned that I was recently in SE Asia. ZERO symptoms. A simple medicine refill appointment.

So when I reached out to PA's Department of Health and asked what I was to do... I was told what the doctor did was illegal and they logged a complaint against him.

But I chose to get the antibody test, because a positive result would mean I was exposed and wasn't one of the unlucky few whose immune system freaks out and kills them... Having a positive result would make my decision to travel internationally before a vaccine gets produced a lot easier. I don't want to get infected with the COVID-19 virus in India, Nepal, Honduras, Egypt (and I'll be in all of those nations 2021-2022).....

But in Thailand I was already deathly ill twice, so I have no issue with their medical services. Traveling around the world solo is fun until you get seriously sick... you have a big language barrier in Asia and being solo means you have no help. I had to teach myself how to read menus written in Thai script just so I could order enough liquids to drink (they have an app called Grab that is basically Uber, you can get rides and delivery but menus are written in Thai).... Picture spending $25 on drinks at McDonald's and having it delivered. There was really no other way I could get liquids, the tap water wasn't clean and I was way too sick to to even make it to the elevator in my hotel... I will never forgot Bangkok that's for sure.

Some rough stuff if you get sick over there, man. This is why I don't travel out of the country. 

But hell, right now you can barely travel from state to state lol

RE: How likely to see NFL - rfaulk34 - 07-10-2020

(07-09-2020, 01:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And you were “very” sick and couldn’t get tested. You’re an example of my point.

The fam and i went to Disney the week of Christmas this past December and the minute we landed back home, i started feeling what i thought was some bronchitis coming on; raw throat, tightness in my chest, etc. I don't usually go to the doctor for that but for some reason i decided i wasn't going to let this linger, so i went. At the time, she said i had "some sort of virus" and i thought 'what a quack, i've been dealing with bronchitis since i was a kid' (whenever there's a rapid temp change). Shortly after that, my wife and some co-workers got sick as well. 

Then, my wife saw something on TV about how they think it may have started spreading in Florida in January, if not earlier. 

That's the one and only time i've ever gone to the doctor with my sinus/respiratory issues and had someone say i had "some sort of virus". 

I've been reading several of these threads and been meaning to share this story...that's why it looks kind of out of place here. :)

RE: How likely to see NFL - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 05:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The fam and i went to Disney the week of Christmas this past December and the minute we landed back home, i started feeling what i thought was some bronchitis coming on; raw throat, tightness in my chest, etc. I don't usually go to the doctor for that but for some reason i decided i wasn't going to let this linger, so i went. At the time, she said i had "some sort of virus" and i thought 'what a quack, i've been dealing with bronchitis since i was a kid' (whenever there's a rapid temp change). Shortly after that, my wife and some co-workers got sick as well. 

Then, my wife saw something on TV about how they think it may have started spreading in Florida in January, if not earlier. 

That's the one and only time i've ever gone to the doctor with my sinus/respiratory issues and had someone say i had "some sort of virus". 

I've been reading several of these threads and been meaning to share this story...that's why it looks kind of out of place here. :)

Roughly 80% of cases of bronchitis are due to a virus. If you’ve been dealing with bronchitis since you were a kid I would suspect an underlying condition such as mild, intermittent asthma that develops into an asthmatic bronchitis when you get sick with a cold.