Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How likely to see NFL - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: How likely to see NFL (/Thread-How-likely-to-see-NFL)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: How likely to see NFL - rfaulk34 - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 05:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Roughly 80% of cases of bronchitis are due to a virus. If you’ve been dealing with bronchitis since you were a kid I would suspect an underlying condition such as mild, intermittent asthma that develops into an asthmatic bronchitis when you get sick with a cold.

Usually, it's just said to be sinusitis, bronchitis or URI...along those lines. Stuff i expect to hear. It was just weird hearing "some sort of virus", then the Covid outbreak shortly after. 

RE: How likely to see NFL - Murdock2420 - 07-10-2020

With the Big 10 cancelling all non-conference games for their fall sports, they are just one step closer to calling the season off entirely. As the cases continue to spike and the knowledge that this virus thrives in the cold, I doubt we see any sort of fall or winter sports this year unless they find a vaccine.

RE: How likely to see NFL - SladeX - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 05:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Roughly 80% of cases of bronchitis are due to a virus. If you’ve been dealing with bronchitis since you were a kid I would suspect an underlying condition such as mild, intermittent asthma that develops into an asthmatic bronchitis when you get sick with a cold.
So what do you make of
A) the varied effects of this virus
B) the possible long term damage some are experiencing 

I don't know much about SARS type illnesses, is this typical of them? I just don't ever remember an illness quite like this.

Is it possible that it's mutating quickly?

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 08:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With the Big 10 cancelling all non-conference games for their fall sports, they are just one step closer to calling the season off entirely. As the cases continue to spike and the knowledge that this virus thrives in the cold, I doubt we see any sort of fall or winter sports this year unless they find a vaccine.

Eh, think that is a bit different than the NFL who makes billions every year...

Don't be such a downer Murdock, damn. Whatever

There are ways around this overblown virus. It is not a hoax, but the deaths are going down and it hardly affects younger people.

Lets worry about the older people and give them some football to watch at home huh?

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 05:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The fam and i went to Disney the week of Christmas this past December and the minute we landed back home, i started feeling what i thought was some bronchitis coming on; raw throat, tightness in my chest, etc. I don't usually go to the doctor for that but for some reason i decided i wasn't going to let this linger, so i went. At the time, she said i had "some sort of virus" and i thought 'what a quack, i've been dealing with bronchitis since i was a kid' (whenever there's a rapid temp change). Shortly after that, my wife and some co-workers got sick as well. 

Then, my wife saw something on TV about how they think it may have started spreading in Florida in January, if not earlier. 

That's the one and only time i've ever gone to the doctor with my sinus/respiratory issues and had someone say i had "some sort of virus". 

I've been reading several of these threads and been meaning to share this story...that's why it looks kind of out of place here. :)

Definitely in the right spot Rfaulk, this needs to be known by all of us football fans as well as everyone it affects.

Kind of crazy Disney World opens tomorrow. Shocked

RE: How likely to see NFL - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-11-2020

(07-10-2020, 08:56 PM)SladeX Wrote: So what do you make of
A) the varied effects of this virus
B) the possible long term damage some are experiencing 

I don't know much about SARS type illnesses, is this typical of them? I just don't ever remember an illness quite like this.

Is it possible that it's mutating quickly?

It’s unusual to say the least.

RE: How likely to see NFL - magikod - 07-11-2020

I will be so depressed if no football this year.

What else do I have to look forward to now that I stopped drinking! LOL

RE: How likely to see NFL - BengalFanInNJ - 07-11-2020

(07-10-2020, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who remembers when the Reds had the best record in baseball but did not make the playoffs because of crazy "strike year rules".

I don't think anything that dramatic will happen to the Bengals, but I could see something like Burrow being on pace to break rookie passing records when the season gets cancelled.

I remember. What a load of crap that was. The only minor good thing was, the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs either and they had a better record than the playoff teams as well. 

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 10:13 AM)magikod Wrote: I will be so depressed if no football this year.

Yeah, we need the lift of football, it is a need brother! Or our heads are going to explode! Shocked

RE: How likely to see NFL - George Cantstandya - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 10:13 AM)magikod Wrote: I will be so depressed if no football this year.

As awesome as I think Joe will be for the Bengals as well as other improvements, I'm not sure if watching Bengals football this year will help maintain your sobriety.   Wink

RE: How likely to see NFL - George Cantstandya - 07-11-2020

As others have stated there are some concerns with rosters and positive Covid-19 tests. If say 6 starters test positive a week before a game they would have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks if not more. So how would that be handled? Should the NFL allow for more players on the active roster? With our luck several starters would test positive the week before playing a key game.

Also who is doing the testing? I don't want to go all conspiracy here, but is it an independent agency as it should be? I don't know as I have not looked into it that much. But I can already see if testing is left to the teams, key players of some teams testing "negative" despite the results if they are even tested at all. Overall I don't really trust the NFL to oversee this as well. I'd feel more comfortable if there was an independent agency involved and even then I don't know how much I would trust it because they would be put on the NFL payroll. There is too much money on the line in billions of dollars and with that at stake there is bound to be corruption. People getting paid to provide expected results.

I guess what I'm saying in a long winded way is I don't really trust a group of billionaires with that much money on the line to do what's best for everyone.

RE: How likely to see NFL - fortyyearfan - 07-11-2020

(06-14-2020, 12:21 AM)samhain Wrote: I feel pretty strongly that there will be a NFL season.  Fans?  Not so much.  Also think that if they start with or without fans, that's the way it stays beyond a major spike in the pandemic.  Major competitive disadvantage to have fans in stands for part of the year, then none later depending on a team's home/away scheduling.

I'd bet a paycheck that there will be football.  The only thing that scares me is the number of cases being reported at voluntary college camps.  I'm sure those guys will be alright, but seeing cases spread has to have the powers that be looking into restrictive quarantines when facilities open.  Injuries are bad enough in a sport like football.  Having guys quarantine for 2-3 weeks could gut a team's roster.

This has been the longest off season in history and very very boring.I am so sick of hearing about this stinking virus. We need football and fans in the stands.Lets go.Everyone just worries too much. Start traning camp and lets from there. So tired of hearing all the crap.I have been stuck at home for 4 months. Go to store,get gas and come home.Insane for sure.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 05:32 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: This has been the longest off season in history and very very boring.I am so sick of hearing about this stinking virus. We need football and fans in the stands.Lets go.Everyone just worries too much. Start traning camp and lets from there. So tired of hearing all the crap.I have been stuck at home for 4 months. Go to store,get gas and come home.Insane for sure.

For those who have no worries about the virus and say time to live again with caution, Disney opened today in Orlando in spite of huge spikes in cases. Then, pi have fast food restaurants that stayed open and have minor issues of their employees getting the virus do to saftey precaution taken (npt testing) with washing hands, gloves, temp. checks and then added masks months later.

RE: How likely to see NFL - treee - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 05:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those who have no worries about the virus and say time to live again with caution, Disney opened today in Orlando in spite of huge spikes in cases. Then, pi have fast food restaurants that stayed open and have minor issues of their employees getting the virus do to saftey precaution taken (npt testing) with washing hands, gloves, temp. checks and then added masks months later.

I am noticing other sports leagues in other countries that don't have as bad of community spread as the US does are starting to play contact sports again.

RE: How likely to see NFL - RASCAL - 07-11-2020

(07-10-2020, 11:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, think that is a bit different than the NFL who makes billions every year...

Don't be such a downer Murdock, damn. Whatever

There are ways around this overblown virus. It is not a hoax, but the deaths are going down and it hardly affects younger people.

Lets worry about the older people and give them some football to watch at home huh?

Love ya Nate, but you try telling that shit to all the families that have lost loved ones to this "overblown" virus. My family is one who has. 

RE: How likely to see NFL - Go Cards - 07-11-2020

Hope things get better and they play some sort of season but who knows at this point.

But opted out of my season tickets after 29 years this season.

Will get option to get back in same seats next year though.

Think I will see what its like to watch Bengals on TV weekly once again.

Certainly will be cheaper lol

RE: How likely to see NFL - Wes Mantooth - 07-11-2020

I just wanted to say that if all this blows up, as a fan of a numbers of Cincinnati teams, I will feel robbed of what should have been a really exciting year here.

I have 4 teams I religiously watch and root for: Bengals, UC basketball, UC football, and The Reds. Of all the years for seasons to get blown up I have to think, as a whole, 2020 is the absolute worst.

---Bengals: Draft Joe Burrow #1 overall, who is probably the best rookie QB talent to come out in the last decade. He's also the holder of a ton of NCAA records and is coming off maybe the most dominant performance EVER at his position. I'm not sure you could argue we've ever had a pick to be more excited for. Then you couple that with the fact this franchise did what I, and so many others, have called for: They spent a TON in free agency. When you add it all up, Burrow, the free agents, the new(er) coaches, this year has excitement written all over it.

---UC Basketball: Brand new coach after a decade plus of Mick Cronin. They win their league in the regular season. Great shot at tourney. Two of the best players of the last decade in Cumberland and Scott. All of it gets blown up right at the most exciting point of the season.

---UC Football: Returns a ton of guys from last year's 11 win team. Best recruiting class in school history. Pre-season rank of #18. Probably the best team we've had in over a decade.

---Reds: Like the Bengals, spend a ton if free agency. One of the best rotations in all of baseball. After a decade of losing this team looked actually decent. Again, probably their best team in a decade.

And for other Cincinnati fans, who may root for other teams... OSU right in the mix for another BCS playoff, Fields is the #1 Heisman canidate. FC Cincinnati with 2nd year MLS with a new coach and big signing. UK always in mix for bball championship, football team is the best they've been in years. X got robbed of their season in bball too.

I know a loss of sports will sucks for everyone, everywhere. But excuse me if I think that fans from this area are getting it maybe worse than anyone. Being a fan of a lot of these teams hasn't been the easiest these last 20-30 years. 2020 has a lot of excitement for this town's various fanbases.

I hope nothing more than somehow this all blows over and I get to see my Reds, Bengals, and UC teams here shortly. Never been so excited for each and every team!!!

RE: How likely to see NFL - J24 - 07-11-2020

If the season doesn't start or they can't do a full season; what do you guys think of a tournament in the Spring time similar to a world cup. You can play it in Canton and have that bubble that the MLS, NHL, and NBA have.
3 group games and 16 team playoff to determine Championship. To determine draft order 16 teams that didn't make the playoffs play for #1 Draft pick.

RE: How likely to see NFL - jason - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 11:06 PM)J24 Wrote: If the season doesn't start or they can't do a full season; what do you guys think of a tournament in the Spring time similar to a world cup. You can play it in Canton and have that bubble that the MLS, NHL, and NBA have.
3 group games and 16 team playoff to determine Championship. To determine draft order 16 teams that didn't make the playoffs play for #1 Draft pick.

That's actually not a bad idea....

RE: How likely to see NFL - AussieBengal - 07-12-2020

(07-11-2020, 05:42 PM)treee Wrote: I am noticing other sports leagues in other countries that don't have as bad of community spread as the US does are starting to play contact sports again.

Yeah here in Australia, our first contact sport returned on May 28th, I have been able to attend games for the last 2 weeks.