Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How likely to see NFL - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: How likely to see NFL (/Thread-How-likely-to-see-NFL)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: How likely to see NFL - SladeX - 07-12-2020

(07-11-2020, 11:32 PM)jason Wrote: That's actually not a bad idea....

I had a similsimilar thought, but never got around to posting it. The group could be your division,  or random.

Of course we are in what would be considered a "Group of Death".

RE: How likely to see NFL - Millhouse - 07-12-2020

Im thinking one possibility is that they will try to get about 4 games in before calling it a season, or maybe even 6 or 8 at the most. This would alleviate quite a few issues with cancelling a whole season. They get 4 games worth of TV revenue. Players get 4 games worth of checks. Rookies would no longer be rookies next year. Get a few games of game time evaluation of rookies, free agents, etc. By time Coranavirus can wipe a season for a team, the season would be over.

RE: How likely to see NFL - CKwi88 - 07-12-2020

This is my (probably uninformed and unrealistic) idea.

Form 8 regional divisions. There would be a few oddballs, a la Dallas in NFCE, but for example SEA, SF, LAR, LAC. Another LV, ARZ, HOU, DAL. Each region quarantines at a neutral site, and each team plays 6 games.

The 8 groups would be split into 2 conferences. Conference A plays odd weeks, Conference B even weeks. Allows for 14 day quarantine between each game. 8 games/weekend, split into 4 TV slots on Sat/Sun to maximize viewership (people smarter than me would probably figure stuff like that out.)

8 team playoff, the 4 division winners. If situation has improved, 1 and 2 seeds play in their home stadium, same for "conference" championship.

Thats my "throw crap at wall and see what sticks" idea. There is still really no solution for the inevitable infections among players that I feel will ultimately derail any season.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-12-2020

(07-11-2020, 05:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For those who have no worries about the virus and say time to live again with caution, Disney opened today in Orlando in spite of huge spikes in cases. Then, pi have fast food restaurants that stayed open and have minor issues of their employees getting the virus do to saftey precaution taken (npt testing) with washing hands, gloves, temp. checks and then added masks months later.

Good news.

(07-11-2020, 05:42 PM)treee Wrote: I am noticing other sports leagues in other countries that don't have as bad of community spread as the US does are starting to play contact sports again.

More good news.

(07-11-2020, 08:29 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Love ya Nate, but you try telling that shit to all the families that have lost loved ones to this "overblown" virus. My family is one who has. 

So sorry Rascal. You know I didn't mean to offend. Shocked

RE: How likely to see NFL - Gamma Ray Tan - 07-12-2020

Interesting that pro sports being played are undecided, yet local high school sports are going as scheduled for the fall. Hell, AAU basketball and softball have been going on for over a month now traveling all over the place. If they think a limited attendance pro football game is going to be a problem, I wonder how they justify every high school across the country getting together every Friday night for football being okay. The sheer number of people would dwarf an NFL game. Just a thought.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-12-2020

(07-12-2020, 05:32 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Interesting that pro sports being played are undecided, yet local high school sports are going as scheduled for the fall. Hell, AAU basketball and softball have been going on for over a month now traveling all over the place. If they think a limited attendance pro football game is going to be a problem, I wonder how they justify every high school across the country getting together every Friday night for football being okay. The sheer number of people would dwarf an NFL game. Just a thought.

Great points. Tells a lot how different sports are handling this that is for sure.

RE: How likely to see NFL - SladeX - 07-12-2020

The baseball tournaments around here are of course outside, and attendees are limited per player, and are only to be on site when their team is playing. The teams only stat on site when they are playing mlm

So far so good. Folks are good about wearing masks as they enter and exit.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-13-2020

(07-12-2020, 06:39 PM)SladeX Wrote: The baseball tournaments around here are of course outside, and attendees are limited per player, and are only to be on site when their team is playing. The teams only stat on site when they are playing mlm

So far so good. Folks are good about wearing masks as they enter and exit.

AAU basketball is indoors with fans.

The world is opening back up upon the realization the death rate is nowhere near projected by so called experts, Let's hope that continues as we focus on the 10% to 15% who are at risk, some higher than others.

RE: How likely to see NFL - jason - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 12:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: AAU basketball is indoors with fans.

The world is opening back up upon the realization the death rate is nowhere near projected by so called experts, Let's hope that continues as we focus on the 10% to 15% who are at risk, some higher than others.

Bars and indoor dining are shutting back down in certain states. Perhaps the world is opening back up... I don't know, but I know that they remained shut down longer than we did and have a lower rate of infection. I'm also not sure where the black and white thinking comes from. The death rate is low? The death rate lags behind the number of cases. It takes a minute to kill you. You may be right about that, but it remains to be seen. I heard the other day that 20% of cases require some form of hospitalization. I don't have it in front of me but 10 to 15% of the population seems low considering the elderly, diabetics, the obese, those with breathing problems, and God knows what else. Bottom line that sucker can kill ya. I've heard way more than one example of people dying from it who are younger than me with no underlying conditions... But you may get it, and never know you have it. Its a sneaky bastard for sure.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Luvnit2 - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 12:41 AM)jason Wrote: Bars and indoor dining are shutting back down in certain states. Perhaps the world is opening back up... I don't know, but I know that they remained shut down longer than we did and have a lower rate of infection. I'm also not sure where the black and white thinking comes from. The death rate is low? The death rate lags behind the number of cases. It takes a minute to kill you. You may be right about that, but it remains to be seen. I heard the other day that 20% of cases require some form of hospitalization. I don't have it in front of me but 10 to 15% of the population seems low considering the elderly, diabetics, the obese, those with breathing problems, and God knows what else. Bottom line that sucker can kill ya. I've heard way more than one example of people dying from it who are younger than me with no underlying conditions... But you may get it, and never know you have it. Its a sneaky bastard for sure.

I don't just look at death, I look at ICU and hospitalization. The admit to hospital rate is less than 10% in past few months, closer to 6%. The admit or move to ICU rate is around 2% here in Ohio. So if you assume those who are most risk to die go to ICU first, there is no evidence the death rate will increase, in fact the more people who are diagnosed and live is greatly reducing the death rate.

Keep in mind WHO and experts said this virus would kill 1.2 million Americans alone. They were very wrong, a good being wrong.

FYI, just found this from CDC update:
The government agency added a new part to its report, an "Infection Fatality Ratio," which "takes into account both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases and may therefore be a more directly measurable parameter for disease severity for COVID-19." The new metric states that 0.65 percent of those with COVID-19 are estimated to die.

If accurate, the death rate is not much higher than the flu.

RE: How likely to see NFL - George Cantstandya - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't just look at death, I look at ICU and hospitalization. The admit to hospital rate is less than 10% in past few months, closer to 6%. The admit or move to ICU rate is around 2% here in Ohio. So if you assume those who are most risk to die go to ICU first, there is no evidence the death rate will increase, in fact the more people who are diagnosed and live is greatly reducing the death rate.

Keep in mind WHO and experts said this virus would kill 1.2 million Americans alone. They were very wrong, a good being wrong.

The government agency added a new part to its report, an "Infection Fatality Ratio," which "takes into account both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases and may therefore be a more directly measurable parameter for disease severity for COVID-19." The new metric states that 0.65 percent of those with COVID-19 are estimated to die.

ICUs in Houston are getting overwhelmed again according to this article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/all-hospitals-are-full-houston-overwhelmed-icus-leave-covid-19-n1233430

And in Florida:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/florida-coronavirus-cases-icu-beds-arizona-texas

And Arizona:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/07/10/arizona-covid-19-update-july-10-new-cases-and-hospital-metrics-remain-high/5409783002/

And Mississippi:

https://wreg.com/news/coronavirus/mississippi-hospitals-become-overwhelmed-as-coronavirus-cases-increase/

And California:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/11/coronavirus-california-reports-record-high-icu-usage-and-hospitalizations/

This is not close to under control in the US and it is rather disheartening. I think too many people have gone back to forgetting the basic rules: Social distance, wash hands, don't touch face... Other news took over the headlines during the last month or so. And with Covid-19 not being the main headline I think many people have let their guard down as far as following recommended guidelines.

I know I have noticed it over the last few weeks. People in the grocery store not practicing social distancing as much and less people wearing masks.

RE: How likely to see NFL - AussieBengal - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 12:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't just look at death, I look at ICU and hospitalization. The admit to hospital rate is less than 10% in past few months, closer to 6%. The admit or move to ICU rate is around 2% here in Ohio. So if you assume those who are most risk to die go to ICU first, there is no evidence the death rate will increase, in fact the more people who are diagnosed and live is greatly reducing the death rate.

That is still 6 times deadlier than the flu, with a much higher infection rate.

RE: How likely to see NFL - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 02:09 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: That is still 6 times deadlier than the flu, with a much higher infection rate.

And how do we know this to be true again?

I never see the media talk about the death rate of the flu and yet everyday we hear about the number of infections of the covid...

The death rate of covid is the last thing the media talks about besides the flu that is never spoken of at all...

RE: How likely to see NFL - George Cantstandya - 07-13-2020

(07-13-2020, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And how do we know this to be true again?

I never see the media talk about the death rate of the flu and yet everyday we hear about the number of infections of the covid...

The death rate of covid is the last thing the media talks about besides the flu that is never spoken of at all...

As for recent media on the topic of flu vs. Covid-19, two recent articles.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/07/coronavirus-deadlier-than-many-believed-infection-fatality-rate-cvd/

Here is a snip from the article:

Quote:Using the handful of studies that have calculated infection-fatality rates for seasonal flu, Meyerowitz-Katz determined that somewhere between 1 and 10 people die for every 100,000 that are infected. For COVID-19, that number ranges between 500 and 1,000 deaths per 100,000 infections. By his calculations, the coronavirus is likely to be 50 to 100 times more deadly than the seasonal flu, which supports the Columbia University findings.

Other media:

https://www.wfla.com/news/by-the-numbers/coronavirus-vs-flu-how-deaths-number-of-cases-compare/

Quote:In 2019, the CDC reported that 0.1 percent of people who contracted the flu in the United States died.

So far, more than 6 percent of people with coronavirus cases have died, around 52 times higher than the flu’s death rate.

According to the CDC, the hospitalization rate in the U.S. for flu this season is about 69 hospitalizations per 100,000 people. The overall coronavirus hospitalization rate is 98.4 per 100,000 people.

That's media so take it for what it is I suppose...

This one from Johns Hopkins Medicine is interesting:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Quote:COVID-19: There have been approximately 569,679 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 135,205 people have died of COVID-19, as of July 13, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.
In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

I feel this thread is going off the rails again.  And who knows what us everyday people can trust from the media and other sources.  To get back on topic...  I'd be surprised if there is a full season this year if one at all given Covid-19 cases in many states increasing recently.

Holy crap, just saw the Redskins are changing their name...

(07-13-2020, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And how do we know this to be true again?

I don't know... I'm just pretty sure the flu doesn't kill 135,000 people in 3-4 months.

I do believe the 1.2 million estimate was with no mitigation... We've at least tried to mitigate it half-assed as it may be. But yet and still, if this drags out as long as 1918 we're probably gonna be knocking on the door of a half a million deaths in this country.

(07-13-2020, 02:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Posted July 2, 2020

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/07/coronavirus-deadlier-than-many-believed-infection-fatality-rate-cvd/

Here is a snip from the article:

Other media:

https://www.wfla.com/news/by-the-numbers/coronavirus-vs-flu-how-deaths-number-of-cases-compare/

That's media so take it for what it is I suppose...

This one from Johns Hopkins Medicine is interesting:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Thanks George, that is national geographic, wfla and hopkins medicine so yeah I will take it for what it is...

Still, thank you for it.

I just have a hard time believing a lot this stuff that comes from the media after being lied to so many times.

I find this all to be a control tactic. 

Mandating we wear masks when most of the time this doesn't even protect you or others etc.

Just need to take care of the older people and the ones who have diabetes or other problems is what I think people need to 
concentrate on. This is not as bad as it is being made out to be and when younger people are the ones getting infected and 
they are not infecting the people with problems it is getting better, not worse like it is being reported.

(07-13-2020, 02:42 PM)jason Wrote: I don't know... I'm just pretty sure the flu doesn't kill 135,000 people in 3-4 months.

And I don't know if covid killed that many people either....

(07-13-2020, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Holy crap, just saw the Redskins are changing their name...

Washington Swamp Things