Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? (/Thread-Coronavirus-Information-who-do-you-trust)

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/how-deadly-is-covid-19-for-children-here-s-what-we-know-1.5023528

Just a little perspective.  No children are not immune, but they are extremely low risk according to this article, and unlikely to transmit to adults if asymptomatic.  I don't know what CTV news is so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

You’re right kids are low risk and most pediatric cases will most likely be mild. That’s why my wife and I agreed to let our daughter attend traditional classes instead of distance learning. But, since Georgia has seen a rise in Covid cases over the summer all classes will be online for the first three weeks and then they will reassess.

Our school district is 30K+. If we use the numbers from your source that means three kids will probably die from Covid. Three kids out of the entire school district seems reassuring until it’s your kid. The risk seems acceptably low enough for us. But, that’s the crux, isn’t it?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - michaelsean - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You’re right kids are low risk and most pediatric cases will most likely be mild. That’s why my wife and I agreed to let our daughter attend traditional classes instead of distance learning. But, since Georgia has seen a rise in Covid cases over the summer all classes will be online for the first three weeks and then they will reassess.

Our school district is 30K+. If we use the numbers from your source that means three kids will probably die from Covid. Three kids out of the entire school district seems reassuring until it’s your kid. The risk seems acceptably low enough for us. But, that’s the crux, isn’t it?

It was one out of ten thousand infected, and we may not know how accurate that is as literally only one child of the 7000+ known cases in this area died, and there is no information on anything else about her.  Obviously it's one area, it's a fair amount of people to go on I suppose.  These are children who actually had it, so I don't know that it should differ a lot based on local behavior such as mask wearing and distancing, but I'm horrible at statistics and everything that goes into what constitutes a valid group so....

Edit: And I get it, if you are the one or the three or whatever, then none of this matters. My son will be going away to college this year. (Hopefully) He lost a lot his senior year, and I'm not taking this away if he wants to go. If you run a macro environment based on the micro, you're never going to do anything again. That's my opinion anyway.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-13-2020

(08-12-2020, 11:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Look at Ohio, KY and Indiana where Bengals and most fans live

That’s would be great if the Bengals only played teams from Ohio, Kentucky, and IN. But, maybe that’s why it’s called the National Football League and not the Ohio River Valley Football League? Because they play nationally?

Quote:We are not NYC and did not poorly manage nursing homes. That is the issue with national numbers versus state by state numbers or even counties

Yeah, that’s what TX, FL, GA, and AZ said, too. But, OH, KY, and IN don’t have herd immunity and it’s only a matter of time until they become the new hot spots.

Anyway, my comments were directed at the false comment that masks are useless and the virus is overhyped. You can find the studies I’ve already posted on masks and check with the CDC for the leading causes of deaths in the US.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 08-13-2020

Quote:The Cherokee County district — which has an enrollment of 42,000, of whom over 30,000 are receiving in-person instruction — recommends but does not require students to wear masks.

But the superintendent said in his statement that wearing masks may help prevent the closure of more schools.

"As your Superintendent, I wear a mask whenever I cannot social distance," Hightower said. "We know all parents do not believe the scientific research that indicates masks are beneficial, but I believe it and see masks as an important measure to help us keep schools open."

“When we announced plans to reopen schools with options of in-person learning and Digital Learning at home, we made clear the challenges that came along with this choice for our families,” he said.

Prior to the reopening of schools on Aug. 3, some teachers and parents protested the district's plan.

In July, dozens of demonstrators, including teachers, protested outside a school board meeting, according to Georgia Public Broadcasting.

And some teachers resigned before the school year started due to safety concerns, according to the Cherokee Tribune & Ledger-News.

One of them was teacher Allison Webb, who worked at Sequoyah High School.

“Out of 2,000 students in this school, 1,500 will be returning in person — without a mandatory mask requirement,” Webb told the news outlet in late July, saying this frightened her.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - BengalHawk62 - 08-13-2020

(08-11-2020, 11:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The problem with all of this, and similar attitudes, is that it isn't just about the individual saying these things. When people flout the masking ordinances, social distancing, etc., it's not just themselves they put at risk but everyone they interact with. If you are willing to put yourself at risk, fine, I don't care. However, the reason why the government has the authority to put out these mandates is because what you choose to do has an impact on all of those around you. The old saying about "your rights end at the tip of my nose" comes into play here because going out without a mask and getting in close to people infringes on their rights. Does it suck? Sure does. But we just need to deal with it and think of someone other than yourself.

(08-11-2020, 11:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, people don't seem to realize living your life unafraid and unencumbered by covid regulations is more akin to driving drunk than not wearing your seatbelt.  Yes, you are putting yourself at risk and that's fine but you are putting others at risk and that is not fine.

But hey, I can either sit at home all scared of life and the outside world or I can truly live and drink to excess and then get behind the wheel of an automobile and possibly kill myself and others.  I mean, we take risks every day...are people so afraid of living?  Sad.

THere you go, Ted Kennedy could have stayed at home and hid but no, he went out and LIVED and you know what...someone died because of him but hey the flu could have killed her so feh...

I’m not trying to debate one way or another about masks, staying home, etc. I genuinely want to know what are requirements/benchmarks to no longer be called a pandemic? Is it after a certain percentage of people are vaccinated? How low do positive case results have to be to no longer need social distancing? I like solid numbers. I guess that’s what I’m looking for.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 10:24 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’m not trying to debate one way or another about masks, staying home, etc. I genuinely want to know what are requirements/benchmarks to no longer be called a pandemic? Is it after a certain percentage of people are vaccinated? How low do positive case results have to be to no longer need social distancing? I like solid numbers. I guess that’s what I’m looking for.

Unfortunately, solid numbers aren't something I can find at this moment. What I can provide is how the WHO marks the phases of pandemic influenza:

Quote:In nature, influenza viruses circulate continuously among animals, especially birds. Even though such viruses might theoretically develop into pandemic viruses, in Phase 1 no viruses circulating among animals have been reported to cause infections in humans.

In Phase 2 an animal influenza virus circulating among domesticated or wild animals is known to have caused infection in humans, and is therefore considered a potential pandemic threat.

In Phase 3, an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus has caused sporadic cases or small clusters of disease in people, but has not resulted in human-to-human transmission sufficient to sustain community-level outbreaks. Limited human-to-human transmission may occur under some circumstances, for example, when there is close contact between an infected person and an unprotected caregiver. However, limited transmission under such restricted circumstances does not indicate that the virus has gained the level of transmissibility among humans necessary to cause a pandemic.

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

During the post-peak period, pandemic disease levels in most countries with adequate surveillance will have dropped below peak observed levels. The post-peak period signifies that pandemic activity appears to be decreasing; however, it is uncertain if additional waves will occur and countries will need to be prepared for a second wave.

Previous pandemics have been characterized by waves of activity spread over months. Once the level of disease activity drops, a critical communications task will be to balance this information with the possibility of another wave. Pandemic waves can be separated by months and an immediate “at-ease” signal may be premature.

In the post-pandemic period, influenza disease activity will have returned to levels normally seen for seasonal influenza. It is expected that the pandemic virus will behave as a seasonal influenza A virus. At this stage, it is important to maintain surveillance and update pandemic preparedness and response plans accordingly. An intensive phase of recovery and evaluation may be required.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/communicable-diseases/influenza/data-and-statistics/pandemic-influenza/about-pandemic-phases

Now, obviously this situation is a different one than influenza. There isn't a seasonal coronavirus for us to measure it against. Based on this, the world is likely in the post-peak pandemic phase, but may not be. Looking at yesterday's WHO status report, we're still in the middle of this.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200812-covid-19-sitrep-205.pdf?sfvrsn=627c9aa8_2

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Nately120 - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 10:24 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’m not trying to debate one way or another about masks, staying home, etc. I genuinely want to know what are requirements/benchmarks to no longer be called a pandemic? Is it after a certain percentage of people are vaccinated? How low do positive case results have to be to no longer need social distancing? I like solid numbers. I guess that’s what I’m looking for.

I'm still waiting for it to disappear one day like a miracle.  The sun didn't kill it, so maybe falling leaves and Bengals victory over the Steelers will.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 10:11 AM)GMDino Wrote:  

Same district that suspended students for posting pictures of school conditions then revoked the suspension after public backlash. Today on NPR I listened to interviews from parents hoping to switch from traditional classes to distance learning only to be told it was too late to switch and classes were full. Only to have those decisions reversed due to public backlash, also. They seem to have a real leadership problem there.

I thought their mask rules might be because of Kemp’s mask rules. So I checked our school district rules; staff are required to wear masks, students are required to wear a face covering when traditional classes resume which is TBD.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 08-13-2020

(08-13-2020, 11:27 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Same district that suspended students for posting pictures of school conditions then revoked the suspension after public backlash. Today on NPR I listened to interviews from parents hoping to switch from traditional classes to distance learning only to be told it was too late to switch and classes were full. Only to have those decisions reversed due to public backlash, also. They seem to have a real leadership problem there.

I thought their mask rules might be because of Kemp’s mask rules. So I checked our school district rules; staff are required to wear masks, students are required to wear a face covering when traditional classes resume which is TBD.

Our district is the same.  Everyone wants someone ELSE to make the first decision/move.

None of these people, who WANTED to be elected to make these decisions, want to make a decision that might make someone angry at them.  It's a joke.

(08-13-2020, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Our district is the same.  Everyone wants someone ELSE to make the first decision/move.

None of these people, who WANTED to be elected to make these decisions, want to make a decision that might make someone angry at them.  It's a joke.

The CDC had more detailed guidance for schools to reopen safely. However, the Trump administration pressured them into editing their guidance to more generic recommendations leaving local school boards (who usually aren’t experts in disease prevention or public health) to make it up on the fly further contributing the White House leadership vacuum.

(08-10-2020, 10:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I understand, it's the one year anniversary of Epstein not killing himself.  Despite the release of Maxwell's documents, the media still tries to mute the fact that the lists of participants are absolutely laden with popular figures who align with the politics of the Left, some even Democrat political icons.

The virus still commands the bulk of the coverage, yet it really has been well below epidemic, let alone "pandemic" proportions.  So, perhaps everyone's sudden "seeming" obsession with pedophiles is just their quiet way of reminding everyone that there are bigger problems that are still being largely ignored?

What should the proportions be for an epidemic or a pandemic?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - BengalHawk62 - 08-20-2020

https://who13.com/news/coronavirus/iowa-impacts/dr-pedati-discusses-iowas-coronavirus-test-reporting-glitch-and-other-data-discrepancies/

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - NATI BENGALS - 08-20-2020

Pretty obvious answer to this. I trust the my pillow guy. He has a cure and Trump is trying to help him get it out there but the lame stream fake news is stopping him.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 08-20-2020

I thought things were rough with the mask wearing in my town. I'm currently in SW PA and I am not at all surprised that they are seeing more cases than my city and county in Virginia. This is just ridiculous.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 08-21-2020

(08-20-2020, 07:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I thought things were rough with the mask wearing in my town. I'm currently in SW PA and I am not at all surprised that they are seeing more cases than my city and county in Virginia. This is just ridiculous.

It varies from place to place.  What used to be a strong Democratic stronghold is now largely Trumpville.  I blame the smart people who moved away in the 80's and 90's and never came back and were replaced with people who don't believe in education or science.  We have become more redneck in the last 20 years then I want to imagine.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: It varies from place to place.  What used to be a strong Democratic stronghold is now largely Trumpville.  I blame the smart people who moved away in the 80's and 90's and never came back and were replaced with people who don't believe in education or science.  We have become more redneck in the last 20 years then I want to imagine.

Yeah, I'm noticing that. My uncle's place is just on the Fayette side of the line in Bullskin Township, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express between Scottdale and Mount Pleasant, and I just got back to the hotel after driving through Connellsville and Uniontown to take care of some things. What used to be a union stronghold is entirely Trump territory and I have seen several anti-masking signs mixed in with the Trump stuff.

(08-21-2020, 01:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I'm noticing that. My uncle's place is just on the Fayette side of the line in Bullskin Township, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express between Scottdale and Mount Pleasant, and I just got back to the hotel after driving through Connellsville and Uniontown to take care of some things. What used to be a union stronghold is entirely Trump territory and I have seen several anti-masking signs mixed in with the Trump stuff.

I can only tell you there is a strong Biden contingent in the area also.  Fewer signs but but activism.

In fact my hometown has two giant Biden banners within two block of each other.  (Westmoreland side of the border.)

Hope you at least get some fishing in while you're here!

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 01:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can only tell you there is a strong Biden contingent in the area also.  Fewer signs but but activism.

In fact my hometown has two giant Biden banners within two block of each other.  (Westmoreland side of the border.)

Hope you at least get some fishing in while you're here!

Not one bit. I even left my rod at home. Lots to do when trying to secure a relative's house and take care of the estate.

(08-21-2020, 04:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not one bit. I even left my rod at home. Lots to do when trying to secure a relative's house and take care of the estate.

Oh no.  Sorry for your loss.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - BmorePat87 - 08-22-2020

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/513252-mcconnell-rips-piecemeal-postal-bill-democrats-for-ignoring-urgent-needs-of

McConnell, the man who let the House's Covid relief bill sit for 2.5 months without touching it, accused Democrats of ignoring the needs of American workers and families for passing legislation that only relates to the Post Office