Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? (/Thread-Coronavirus-Information-who-do-you-trust)

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - bfine32 - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 09:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No one is blaming all this on Trump. That’s pure hyperbole. But, Trump is 100% responsible for his response. But, you’ve been told this before.

2funny

Of course Trump is responsible for his own response. We all are.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - jason - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 09:08 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: What more of a response do you want?  

We've tested more than almost any country out there.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

We've given every unemployed person an extra 2400 a month for 5 months.  What other nation of 330,000,000 is doing that?  Would $4800 had done the trick?

Fact of the matter is that people are running away in droves from the big cities who made the heavy handed response like you Dems are asking for.  

Maybe he could've lead by example. He disregarded every guideline the experts put out. Maybe he could have been consistent. Maybe he could have coordinated a federal response. Maybe he could not push quack cures. Maybe he could not try to discredit the top infectious disease expert in the country. Maybe he could've stayed outta the governors' business if he was gonna leave it up to them... Liberate Michigan.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 08:56 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I don't know anything that Trump could've done do that would make the msm happy.

Weld people in their houses like China?  Blockade NYC and Seattle with the military to prevent people from entering and leaving?  Yeah, the msm would go right along with that.  They sh!t bricks when he prevented incoming flights from afflicted countries, there is no way they would tolerate any heavier hand that what he already had.

Let me ask you this:  What are some specific things that you or Hillary would have done different?

Don't just say vague platitudes like "Listen to the science!" or "Wear a mask and present a unified message!"  The science changed daily in the early months and there hasn't been anything unified since 2003 in this country.

What are some specific, quantifiable things that you would have done differently?

It isn't the job of the POTUS to make the MSM happy or to govern in a way that would avoid criticism.

Clinton would have followed the guidelines laid out by the Obama admin about infectious disease.  She would have maintained the group created to respond to just such an emergency.  She would have not told people that the economy was more important than lives.  She would have worn a mask in public to show leadership on the issue.  She would have put the Defense Production Act much sooner for PPEs.  She wouldn't have cared that the news didn't always agree with her and then claim she handled everything perfectly.  She wouldn't have blamed it all on the President before her while claiming the disease would just miraculously go away.  She wouldn't speak out loud that she was just "wondering" if people could use disinfectants inside their body like we do on surfaces.

In short she would have governed and made decisions rather than just say "it will go away" and then use the press conferences designed to give the US information to make campaign speeches.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - bfine32 - 08-31-2020

The absolute craziest thing is: That those that would have not listened to what he said are the ones screaming the loudest about he should have said something.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The absolute craziest thing is: That those that would have not listened to what he said are the ones screaming the loudest about he should have said something.

I will disagree with this.  If Trump was actually seen as doing something positive more people would have listened over all.

This would be one of those moments where he would have "looked presidential" and would have been listed under his "growing into the job" moments.  Albeit 3 plus years into his term but it would have shown a maturity, an empathy, a willingness to listen and lead that he did not show.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The absolute craziest thing is: That those that would have not listened to what he said are the ones screaming the loudest about he should have said something.

Crazier than injecting disinfectant?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 10:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 2funny

Of course Trump is responsible for his own response. We all are.

The obvious trolling isn't funny. It's tiresome.  The key word in your statement is "all."  I even typed it in bold to help you.  It's not ALL his fault.  No on is claiming it is ALL his fault.  Is Covid Trump's fault? No.  Is it Trump's fault he wasted at least two month's before taking this seriously?  Yes.  You know that, but you want to play silly word games.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 09:08 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: What more of a response do you want?  

We've tested more than almost any country out there.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

We've given every unemployed person an extra 2400 a month for 5 months.  What other nation of 330,000,000 is doing that?  Would $4800 had done the trick?

Fact of the matter is that people are running away in droves from the big cities who made the heavy handed response like you Dems are asking for.  

We have more deaths than any country out there.  

Yeah, asking you to wear a face covering is practically quartering Red Coats in your house against your will.

(08-31-2020, 10:06 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe he could've lead by example. He disregarded every guideline the experts put out. Maybe he could have been consistent. Maybe he could have coordinated a federal response. Maybe he could not push quack cures. Maybe he could not try to discredit the top infectious disease expert in the country. Maybe he could've stayed outta the governors' business if he was gonna leave it up to them... Liberate Michigan. 

Jason beat me too it, but not wasting two months reaction time pretending it was a MSM and Democrat hoax would have been nice.  Following advice that travel bands aren't effective, but testing, contact tracing and quarantining proven to be more effective would have been nice as well.  Instead of relying on the CDC to develop and manufacture a test for months, they could have approved commercially available tests they eventually used.  Hell, just not spreading misinformation would have been a plus.

But, providing guidance and coordination on a national/federal level is important and a responsibility Trump totally abdicated except for his failed travel ban which wasn't a travel ban.  Since you were infantry, let's put this in infantry terms.  If a company commander is conducting a raid does he provide the platoons with guidance and coordination? Or do all the squad leaders try to figure it all out on their own?  It's the former, but Trump's response was the latter.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Von Cichlid - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 12:05 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We have more deaths than any country out there.  

Yeah, asking you to wear a face covering is practically quartering Red Coats in your house against your will.

Jason beat me too it, but not wasting two months reaction time pretending it was a MSM and Democrat hoax would have been nice.  Following advice that travel bands aren't effective, but testing, contact tracing and quarantining proven to be more effective would have been nice as well.  Instead of relying on the CDC to develop and manufacture a test for months, they could have approved commercially available tests they eventually used.  Hell, just not spreading misinformation would have been a plus.

But, providing guidance and coordination on a national/federal level is important and a responsibility Trump totally abdicated except for his failed travel ban which wasn't a travel ban.  Since you were infantry, let's put this in infantry terms.  If a company commander is conducting a raid does he provide the platoons with guidance and coordination? Or do all the squad leaders try to figure it all out on their own?  It's the former, but Trump's response was the latter.

OK, I'll admit defeat to you and GMDino on Trump's response to COVID.  If he loses this election, it will be due to his response to COVID, and I think everyone knows this. 

Two qualifiers though-

1.  It would have been absurdly difficult bordering on impossible for him to handle it well with a media and opposition that looks for every opportunity to crucify him any chance they get.  The media had just gotten through gleefully reporting on an impeachment farce that wasted resources and that was totally just for show.  There is no way they would have given the support needed for a unified response one month after that nonsense.

2.  His response will probably at absolute maximum change the vote of 5% of the independent vote, which may be enough to swing this election, unfortunately.  Even if he had handled it brilliantly (which he did not and it would have been impossible anyway), then there would still be near 40% of the voters that totally despise him and would vote for him under no circumstance.  

To wit, how many of the people in the poll on this page who say they are voting for Biden voted for Trump last year?  I'll bet zero. I don't know a single person who voted Trump last year that is not this year, and I don't figure too many people who didn't vote Trump are going to this year (In the big city blue states that might be another story, but they are too heavily democrat for it to probably matter.).

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 01:16 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: OK, I'll admit defeat to you and GMDino on Trump's response to COVID.  If he loses this election, it will be due to his response to COVID, and I think everyone knows this. 

Two qualifiers though-

1.  It would have been absurdly difficult bordering on impossible for him to handle it well with a media and opposition that looks for every opportunity to crucify him any chance they get.  The media had just gotten through gleefully reporting on an impeachment farce that wasted resources and that was totally just for show.  There is no way they would have given the support needed for a unified response one month after that nonsense.

2.  His response will probably at absolute maximum change the vote of 5% of the independent vote, which may be enough to swing this election, unfortunately.  Even if he had handled it brilliantly (which he did not and it would have been impossible anyway), then there would still be near 40% of the voters that totally despise him and would vote for him under no circumstance.  

To wit, how many of the people in the poll on this page who say they are voting for Biden voted for Trump last year?  I'll bet zero. I don't know a single person who voted Trump last year that is not this year, and I don't figure too many people who didn't vote Trump are going to this year (In the big city blue states that might be another story, but they are too heavily democrat for it to probably matter.).

More people voted against him than for him during the last election. The Lincoln Project was founded in part by Republican political strategists. Seventy-one Republicans who are former national security officials endorsed Biden because they view Trump as a risk to national security. Former senior military leaders including a Chairman of the Joint Chiefs if Staff have denounced Trump.

If Trump loses his response to the pandemic will only be one of many reasons why.

https://www.defendingdemocracytogether.org/national-security/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/05/89-former-defense-officials-military-must-never-be-used-violate-constitutional-rights/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/612553/

Not to mention the very best people to include retired Generals who have denounced Trump after working for him in the White House.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Dill - 09-02-2020

(08-30-2020, 06:56 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: The European countries had the advantage of a msm that was not trying to subvert the presidency, so naturally they handled it less chaotically than we did.  You seem like a very even keeled person to me, much more than myself even, so I cant believe that you would possibly think that the media disagreed with Trump in good faith on all of this.  If Trump wanted A, the media demanded B.

As I have said, a silver lining of Biden winning would be that the onslaught of the msm would cease.  

Sorry I am late getting back to this Von.

I think we are both "very even keeled persons" trying to figure out which politicians will do the best job in office.

I don't think our MSM is trying to subvert the presidency though. European countries, except for Italy, don't really have leaders comparable to Trump.

I don't think the media imposes any double standard on Trump. The report a lot of bad things about him--because he does a lot of bad things.

That's just the way of it. 

The MSM onslaught will partly ceased if Biden wins, because he won't doing things as bad as Trump on a daily basis. But Fox and friends will pick up the slack and disagree with every thing Biden does in bad faith. Obama-level faux scandals.

(09-01-2020, 01:16 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: 1.  It would have been absurdly difficult bordering on impossible for him to handle [the pandemic] well with a media and opposition that looks for every opportunity to crucify him any chance they get.  The media had just gotten through gleefully reporting on an impeachment farce that wasted resources and that was totally just for show.  There is no way they would have given the support needed for a unified response one month after that nonsense.

Disagree, Von.  The executive power is Trump's no matter what "the media" do.

Trump dismantled the CDC before the pandemic--the first of many bad pandemic-related judgments. He has sent mixed messages about masks and social distancing. He bumbled on before the nation about possibly researching the introduction of bleach and UV rays into the human body to fight the virus. He withdrew us from WHO, blamed China for everything, humiliated his own doctors, touted quick cures against advice of the medical community, competed with states in buying up PPE supplies, and repeatedly balked on national pandemic policy. He is totally fine with rallies of unmasked people (one prominent backer, Herman Cain, died after attending one). Trump has complained that testing produces more cases, makes the numbers look bad,  so he wants to slow it down, while doctors say that testing is needed to combat the virus. He constantly states untruths about the national prognosis (It will die out in April, "go away" etc.).

All this shows astonishing ignorance and incompetence, and has to be reported. I do not understand what "support needed for unified response" in the media is supposed to look like without consistent and competent leadership from the top. What unified response can be drawn from Trump's pronouncements so far? Should the MSM side with Trump against the medical community when it comes to opening schools?

Are you are asking the media to put aside their responsibility to inform the nation what Trump actually says and does, in order to support him Fox News style, while you are not asking Trump to clean up his act at all?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - PhilHos - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 02:27 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think the media imposes any double standard on Trump. 

Bullshit. Wait, wait, let me correct myself. I believe you truly think that. The problem is it's just wrong. Cases-in-point: people protest lockdowns in various states and media complains that protestors aren't taking coronavirus seriously and want to kill their grandparents; people protest police brutality media makes little-to-no mention of coronavirus and even defends protestings; Trump holds campaign rally and media are back to complaining about effect this will have on coronavirus and saying Trump doesn't care.

Hell, CNN is a daily, constant dose of double standards by itself.

(09-02-2020, 03:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Bullshit. Wait, wait, let me correct myself. I believe you truly think that. The problem is it's just wrong. Cases-in-point: people protest lockdowns in various states and media complains that protestors aren't taking coronavirus seriously and want to kill their grandparents; people protest police brutality media makes little-to-no mention of coronavirus and even defends protestings; Trump holds campaign rally and media are back to complaining about effect this will have on coronavirus and saying Trump doesn't care.
Hell, CNN is a daily, constant dose of double standards by itself.

I confess I don't really see your "cases-in-point." I don't see a double standard here. "The media," including CNN, do monitor the possibility/probability of virus transmission via protest as well as via Trump rallies. Notice that most of the protestors in the image below (from the linked article) are outdoors and wearing masks.  Notice the photo below that, of attendees at Trump's Tulsa rally--indoors and no masks.

The whole protest/rally double standard theme is the product of Trump and Fox.

The protests are raising fears of a spike in coronavirus cases
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/health/protests-coronavirus-spread-concerns/index.html

[Image: 200531165102-04-george-floyd-protest-053...ge-169.jpg]

Black Lives Matter protests have not led to a spike in coronavirus cases, research says
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coronavirus-cases-protests-black-lives-matter-trnd/index.html

[Image: 30324628-8484529-image-a-57_1593715013619.jpg]

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 03:41 PM)Dill Wrote: I confess I don't really see your "cases-in-point." I don't see a double standard here. "The media," including CNN, do monitor the possibility/probability of virus transmission via protest as well as via Trump rallies. Notice that most of the protestors in the image below (from the linked article) are outdoors and wearing masks.  Notice the photo below that, of attendees at Trump's Tulsa rally--indoors and no masks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/health/protests-coronavirus-spread-concerns/index.html

Black Lives Matter protests have not led to a spike in coronavirus cases, research says
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/coronavirus-cases-protests-black-lives-matter-trnd/index.html

It's also important to note that the anti-masker protesters were quite literally protesting for the ability to put their communities in danger.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Mer - 09-02-2020

(08-31-2020, 11:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The obvious trolling isn't funny. It's tiresome.  The key word in your statement is "all."  I even typed it in bold to help you.  It's not ALL his fault.  No on is claiming it is ALL his fault.  Is Covid Trump's fault? No.  Is it Trump's fault he wasted at least two month's before taking this seriously?  Yes.  You know that, but you want to play silly word games.

So banning flights from China when it all started was not taking it serious? Meanwhile the Dems claimed he shouldn't do that just to later say he didn't act fast enough. Whatever. 

(09-02-2020, 03:41 PM)Dill Wrote: I confess I don't really see your "cases-in-point." I don't see a double standard here. "The media," including CNN, do monitor the possibility/probability of virus transmission via protest as well as via Trump rallies. Notice that most of the protestors in the image below (from the linked article) are outdoors and wearing masks.  Notice the photo below that, of attendees at Trump's Tulsa rally--indoors and no masks.

1 picture does not refute my point.

BTW:
[Image: 12393686-16x9-xlarge.jpg?v=2]
[Image: 200530-PROTEST-RALLY-BLACK-LIVES-MATTER-...2048&ssl=1]

(09-02-2020, 03:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's also important to note that the anti-masker protesters were quite literally protesting for the ability to put their communities in danger.

No one was talking about the anti-masker protesters. I was talking about the end the lockdown protestors.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 09-02-2020

The way I understand it if I come in and test positive for Covid19 they ask me where I've bee, who I've had contact with etc.

If I say I was at the bar with my buddies then it would go under that listing.

If I say I was at a BLM march it would go under that.

So the tracing has told us that more of the spreading is coming from social gatherings than protests.  

At least that's the way I have read it.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 04:01 PM)Mer Wrote: So banning flights from China when it all started was not taking it serious? Meanwhile the Dems claimed he shouldn't do that just to later say he didn't act fast enough. Whatever. 

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-04/trumps-strong-wall-to-block-covid-19-from-china-had-holes

https://www.cato.org/blog/travel-restrictions-spread-covid-19-what-does-research-say

1) Viruses don't recognize nationality.  So a ban on travel from China isn't a ban on travel from China if you let in thousands of people traveling from China because they're not Chinese nationals.

2) You're a science teacher allegedly, what does the epidemiology data say about travel bans? They are ineffective.  Maybe you shift the curve to the right and buy some time to prepare, but Trump didn't spend that time preparing.  He kept denying there was a problem.  Basically, wearing masks are more effective at controlling transmission than travel bans. 

We have more Covid 19 related deaths than any other country.  Obviously, the travel "ban" was a failure. Also, Trump called it the Democrat's new hoax almost three weeks after the travel "ban."  Does your idea of taking something seriously involve calling it a hoax?

(09-02-2020, 04:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We have more Covid 19 related deaths than any other country.  

We have the highest total number of deaths in the world, true. But, when it comes to deaths per capita, we're 9th.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Also 9th in mortality rate
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Clearly this does not exonerate Trump nor is this an attempt to defend him. I'm just bringing out some numbers for some perspective.