Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? (/Thread-Coronavirus-Information-who-do-you-trust)

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 05:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  
We have the highest total number of deaths in the world, true. But, when it comes to deaths per capita, we're 9th.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Also 9th in mortality rate
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Clearly this does not exonerate Trump nor is this an attempt to defend him. I'm just bringing out some numbers for some perspective.

And those numbers also seem to support the consensus that travel bans don’t work and why epidemiologists support other measures to control transmission.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - jason - 09-02-2020

(09-02-2020, 04:01 PM)Mer Wrote: So banning flights from China when it all started was not taking it serious? Meanwhile the Dems claimed he shouldn't do that just to later say he didn't act fast enough. Whatever. 

Yeah... That was quick and decisive action. Yet somehow it managed to get over here. In other words it was ineffective. There's only so much hiding behind the other side's criticism that can be done. Maybe you've noticed the way our broken government works is one party says or does something, and the other party bitches about it. The bottom line is the president didn't act quickly or effectively enough... Period.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Dill - 09-03-2020

(09-02-2020, 04:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 1 picture does not refute my point.

BTW:

No one was talking about the anti-masker protesters. I was talking about the end the lockdown protestors.

Lots of masks in the background there.

Perhaps you could restate what you see as the double standard? I am still missing it.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-03-2020

This is what it looks like when the CDC is misused to campaign for the Trump Administration.

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-asks-states-prepare-distribute-203036423.html

“Hey, guys, be ready to distribute a “potential” vaccine November 1st.”

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - bfine32 - 09-03-2020

Pelosci apparently Trusts her hair stylist.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - PhilHos - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 02:22 AM)Dill Wrote: Lots of masks in the background there.

Perhaps you could restate what you see as the double standard? I am still missing it.

And a lot more without masks.

The double standard is that there was no outcry at the possibility of the protests or riots making COVID worse whereas there was for anti-lockdown protests and Trump rallies.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 12:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And a lot more without masks.

The double standard is that there was no outcry at the possibility of the protests or riots making COVID worse whereas there was for anti-lockdown protests and Trump rallies.

I saw concern over the protests being a place for spreading the disease.  I think the disconnect was that the Trump rallies were going to be filled with people who didn't believe in masks led by a man who never wore one.  (Well, once.)

If I know there will be two gatherings: One with butterfly nets and one with people carrying heavy boxes I'd be more worried about people dropping heavy things on their toes at the latter one.

(09-02-2020, 05:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  
We have the highest total number of deaths in the world, true. But, when it comes to deaths per capita, we're 9th.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Also 9th in mortality rate
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Clearly this does not exonerate Trump nor is this an attempt to defend him. I'm just bringing out some numbers for some perspective.

The exact same people proclaiming we have the most deaths in the world, will be the same ones to "correct" you when you proclaim more whites are killed by cops than blacks each year.  

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - PhilHos - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 12:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: I saw concern over the protests being a place for spreading the disease.  I think the disconnect was that the Trump rallies were going to be filled with people who didn't believe in masks led by a man who never wore one.  (Well, once.)

I get the concern over the Trump rallies possibly being mostly maskless, but I don't understand the thinking that the BLM protests were not going to be. There was more reason to think there wouldn't be (i.e. BLM protests mostly young people and young people are generally less likely to wear a mask, etc.). 

Then again, the media has an agenda and for all but Fox News and conservative media outlets it's to do everything to get Trump out of the White House (and because I know someone will try to make the claim, no, I'm not saying Fox News and conservative media are less biased or more honest, etc.)

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - GMDino - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 12:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The exact same people proclaiming we have the most deaths in the world, will be the same ones to "correct" you when you proclaim more whites are killed by cops than blacks each year.  

Strange to bring that up in a Coronavirus thread.

(09-03-2020, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Strange to bring that up in a Coronavirus thread.

For real/ I thought folks could clearly see the relevance; but allow me to explain:

Folks (read hypocritical Liberals) keep focusing on our total deaths and have 1 motivation for doing so (hopefully I don't need to explain the motivation). They fail to mention 4 countries in the EU and the UK have a higher mortality rate than us. You know, countries with strong economies.

They further fail to mention that we are the freest and most prosperous Nation in the world.

Now if I were to assert that more whites are killed yearly by cops than blacks. The first things folks (read hypocritical liberals0 would point to are:

Number of population

Economic status

Lack of freedoms.

Do you understand the relevance now?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 01:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They further fail to mention that we are the freest and most prosperous Nation in the world.

Well, 15th freest overall, and 17th specifically for economic freedoms. Ninja

(09-03-2020, 01:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, 15th freest overall, and 17th specifically for economic freedoms. Ninja

Yes I hesitated to list freest as it can be subjective unless GDP and population. But I'm not sure that refutes my point.

FWIW, I see we're up from 20th in 2015

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 02:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes I hesitated to list freest as it can be subjective unless GDP and population. But I'm not sure that refutes my point.

FWIW, I see we're up from 20th in 2015

I wasn't really trying to refute your overall point, because you aren't wrong. Everyone has a tendency to gussy up numbers in a way that makes their argument look better. I was just having a little fun.

Our data on COVID-19 isn't good, but it isn't the worst in the world by any means. That being said, we should be doing a lot better than we are. I think one of our saving graces is that we are a more spread out country than many of our WEIRD counterparts. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

And yeah, I honestly don't put much stock in any of the "freedom indices." All of them come from a very subjective point of view. I just had to have some fun.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - jason - 09-03-2020

I seem to remember the mayor of Atlanta scolding people that if they were out protesting (in early June) that they needed to go get tested. I also see a lot of covered faces at any of the protests (riots for obvious reasons)... Not do much during the anti "lockdown" protests.... I don't see the double standard.

It's also like what's being peddled by the Trumps... You can go riot, but you can't go to church. Here in Ohio you can go to church... If the church is open. If they're still closed it's because they choose to be.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Brownshoe - 09-04-2020

(09-03-2020, 01:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, 15th freest overall, and 17th specifically for economic freedoms. Ninja

I think it's funny that they have Australia as 5th freest overall when recently a pregnant woman was arrested in her home for making a Facebook post

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Belsnickel - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 01:53 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think it's funny that they have Australia as 5th freest overall when recently a pregnant woman was arrested in her home for making a Facebook post

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cato's going to be Cato.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Dill - 09-04-2020

I gave you two links--one "outcrying" at the possibility of protests outdoors spreading COVID and another with the results of some tracking which found the correlation negligible. And then a picture of Herman Cain who died after attending a Trump rally maskless.

That's why the concern about Trump rallies and anti lockdown protests. 

This supposed double standard is one of the many "liberal hypocrisies" one hears about nightly on Fox, along with stories about how shut downs that work in every other country don't work in the US.

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Mer - 09-04-2020

(09-02-2020, 09:37 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... That was quick and decisive action. Yet somehow it managed to get over here. In other words it was ineffective. There's only so much hiding behind the other side's criticism that can be done. Maybe you've noticed the way our broken government works is one party says or does something, and the other party bitches about it. The bottom line is the president didn't act quickly or effectively enough... Period.

Is there an example of any countries' leaders acting fast enough? It's a virus. If it were actually possible to act fast enough why do we still have flu season every year? 
Do you think Hilary would have done better?

RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - PhilHos - 09-04-2020

(09-03-2020, 11:03 PM)jason Wrote: I seem to remember the mayor of Atlanta scolding people that if they were out protesting (in early June) that they needed to go get tested. I also see a lot of covered faces at any of the protests (riots for obvious reasons)... Not do much during the anti "lockdown" protests.... I don't see the double standard.

To be fair, I was speaking of the double standard in the media.