Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
California passes bill to study reparations - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: California passes bill to study reparations (/Thread-California-passes-bill-to-study-reparations)

Pages: 1 2

California passes bill to study reparations - Millhouse - 10-01-2020

Granted its California and all, but thoughts on this now that the first of it's kind has passed through in a state.

"The new law creates a task force to recommend appropriate remedies to the state Legislature and determine who should be eligible to receive compensation, which advocates hope will become a model in a country where movements to make amends for centuries of slavery have failed to gain traction at the federal level." https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-30/california-task-force-reparations-slavery-gavin-newsom-shirley-weber

I am 100% against this at the Federal level and in my state, if it ever goes that far some day. Making better chances for a good education, good job, and equal treatment by the justice system should be the goal. But giving compensation on an individual level, no.

Now if these so called reparationists want to force the UK and the EU to help pay for it all, then maybe. They are the ones that imported it over here in the first place.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - bfine32 - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 01:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Granted its California and all, but thoughts on this now that the first of it's kind has passed through in a state.

"The new law creates a task force to recommend appropriate remedies to the state Legislature and determine who should be eligible to receive compensation, which advocates hope will become a model in a country where movements to make amends for centuries of slavery have failed to gain traction at the federal level." https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-30/california-task-force-reparations-slavery-gavin-newsom-shirley-weber

I am 100% against this at the Federal level and in my state, if it ever goes that far some day. Making better chances for a good education, good job, and equal treatment by the justice system should be the goal. But giving compensation on an individual level, no.

Now if these so called reparationists want to force the UK and the EU to help pay for it all, then maybe. They are the ones that imported it over here in the first place.
Let's concede the point that there is systemic racism that gives blacks a disadvantage.

From this reparations bill it appears if you're black and your family can be traced back to those that were slaves then you're entitled. If you're just a black person you do not.

So this got me to go out and talk to all the racists I know. I asked: When you disadvantage the black do you first ask of their family lineage?  

Believe it or not, most did not. 

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - BmorePat87 - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 01:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Granted its California and all, but thoughts on this now that the first of it's kind has passed through in a state.

The last part poses an interesting question: when does our liability start?

With regards to the topic, I think reparations in the form of action designed to make up for centuries of discrimination and subjugation is critical. This could mean investing heavily in areas ravaged by redlining, predatory lending, and urban renewal. It could mean fully funding schools in predominantly black areas. It could be a voucher for health care expenditures. It could be a trust for a business. It could be tuition to college. It could be a down payment for a home. 

It's hard to deny that centuries of subjugation has caused such a significant inequity between Black and White Americans. Reparations should aim to resolve that, not give out a one time check.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 02:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's concede the point that there is systemic racism that gives blacks a disadvantage.

From this reparations bill it appears if you're black and your family can be traced back to those that were slaves then you're entitled. If you're just a black person you do not.

So this got me to go out and talk to all the racists I know. I asked: When you disadvantage the black do you first ask of their family lineage?  

Believe it or not, most did not. 

The study is about potential reparations for slavery, not systemic racism in the US after the Civil War. So if you’re going to pay reparations for slavery, not systemic racism, it makes sense there would need to be a family connection to slavery to receive reparations for slavery.

But, we have members here right now who believe systemic racism is a myth.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - michaelsean - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 04:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The study is about potential reparations for slavery, not systemic racism in the US after the Civil War. So if you’re going to pay reparations for slavery, not systemic racism, it makes sense there would need to be a family connection to slavery to receive reparations for slavery.

Well if it’s limited to slavery, that leaves about a 75 year window in this country. England and some others own the rest.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 04:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well if it’s limited to slavery, that leaves about a 75 year window in this country. England and some others own the rest.

Just one of many problems with this idea. Especially in light of current inequities we could work to change now. Here’s just one example . . .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ls3P_FicO7I

We can’t change the past, but we can improve current conditions to strive for a better future.

(10-01-2020, 04:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just one of many problems with this idea. Especially in light of current inequities we could work to change now. Here’s just one example . . .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ls3P_FicO7I

We can’t change the past, but we can improve current conditions to strive for a better future.

I'm not watching a twenty minute video.  How about a Cliffs Notes version?

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - Benton - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 04:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The study is about potential reparations for slavery, not systemic racism in the US after the Civil War. So if you’re going to pay reparations for slavery, not systemic racism, it makes sense there would need to be a family connection to slavery to receive reparations for slavery.

The family connection is an issue. There's not a lot of paperwork on most people dating back through the 1800s. My guess is there's less for ancestors if slaves. Just handing out checks because you might be the descendant of a slave is a horrible idea.

(10-01-2020, 04:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The last part poses an interesting question: when does our liability start?

With regards to the topic, I think reparations in the form of action designed to make up for centuries of discrimination and subjugation is critical. This could mean investing heavily in areas ravaged by redlining, predatory lending, and urban renewal. It could mean fully funding schools in predominantly black areas. It could be a voucher for health care expenditures. It could be a trust for a business. It could be tuition to college. It could be a down payment for a home. 

It's hard to deny that centuries of subjugation has caused such a significant inequity between Black and White Americans. Reparations should aim to resolve that, not give out a one time check.

So are we currently at $0 as far as all these suggestions are concerned?  

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - jj22 - 10-01-2020

They trying to give us that burnt land!

40 burnt acres. They ain't slick.

(10-01-2020, 04:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not watching a twenty minute video.  How about a Cliffs Notes version?

It’s about how land developers can force families to sell their property against their will for pennies on the dollar at auction.

Here’s an article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenation.com/article/archive/heirs-property-reform/tnamp/

If you get a chance to watch the video you should. It’s fascinating and horrifying. Like the victims of these laws I was completely unaware of this. There are steps families can take to prevent losing their homes and lands against their will if they know about the law and can afford to pay for the process. But, once someone takes action to take their land; they’re F’ed.

And the people and companies taking their homes and lands, of course, justify their actions as “I’m only doing what the law allows” or “it’s just business” even though this is essentially stealing. It’s worse than predatory lending.

(10-01-2020, 05:02 PM)Benton Wrote: The family connection is an issue. There's not a lot of paperwork on most people dating back through the 1800s. My guess is there's less for ancestors if slaves. Just handing out checks because you might be the descendant of a slave is a horrible idea.

Right. Just two more problems with implementing the idea.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - Mickeypoo - 10-02-2020

Systemic racism yes, not racism.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 08:19 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Systemic racism yes, not racism.

Yeah, must be why I specifically wrote “systemic racism” quote unquote. You’re never one to miss the obvious.

(10-02-2020, 08:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, must be why I specifically wrote “systemic racism” quote unquote. You’re never one to miss the obvious.

Uh....I'm not seeing any quotes in what you wrote.    ?????   Love the subtle insult.   Cool

I responded to:  But, we have members here right now who believe systemic racism is a myth.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 09:21 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Uh....I'm not seeing any quotes in what you wrote.    ?????   Love the subtle insult.   Cool

I responded to:  But, we have members here right now who believe systemic racism is a myth.

Holy shit. The quote is inside the quotation marks. That’s literally what they’re for. Do you see what’s in bold? What does it say?

(10-02-2020, 11:12 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Holy shit. The quote is inside the quotation marks. That’s literally what they’re for. Do you see what’s in bold?  What does it say?

LMAO.........I do not see any quotation marks!!!  Just the typed text; no quotes.  Maybe a glitch in the matrix.

And yes, I see what's in bold, but I don't see any quotes around it.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - GMDino - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 08:19 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Systemic racism yes, not racism.

He literally said systemic racism in the post you replied to.

Then he put it in quotes to emphasize what he said...not to tell you he put it in quotes the first time.

Not that hard.  Stop arguing the dumb stuff.

(10-02-2020, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: He literally said systemic racism in the post you replied to.

Then he put it in quotes to emphasize what he said...not to tell you he put it in quotes the first time.

Not that hard.  Stop arguing the dumb stuff.

Ok.  lol.  I was not trying to argue.  I'm confused and I don't see "" anywhere in any post.  We can leave it at that.

RE: California passes bill to study reparations - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-02-2020

Lots of good points in this thread already. I'll simply add that it annoys me that we waste tax money on abstract things like this while my nephews need to bring their own school supplies for the year because the district is underfunded. The California legislature has yet to meet a left wing cause they aren't willing to throw a lot of taxpayer money at.