Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Drew Sample is a Bum - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Drew Sample is a Bum (/Thread-Drew-Sample-is-a-Bum)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Nicomo Cosca - 12-06-2020

(12-06-2020, 11:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Drew Sample is a TE-Y not an Hback. I am fine he runs sticks flares flats because that's what I expect him to run.

Ok if that’s all Taylor is going to use him for we need a MUCH better WR3. You can’t expect Boyd and Tee to carry the offense by themselves with no running game.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Whatever - 12-06-2020

(12-06-2020, 11:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Are you happy with our TE group? Would it be an area that needs upgrading in your opinion?

Let’s take the thread title, and Auden Tate, and all the other distractions people have spent pages arguing about out of it, and get down to the main point, is Drew Sample good enough to not be replaced?

Who on this team IS good enough to not be replaced is a better question.

(12-06-2020, 11:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Who on this team IS good enough to not be replaced is a better question.

Short list, but...

Joe Burrow
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd
Joe Mixon
Jonah Williams
DJ Reader
Jessie Bates
WJ3

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Destro - 12-06-2020

(12-06-2020, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Short list, but...

Joe Burrow
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd
Joe Mixon
Jonah Williams
DJ Reader
Jessie Bates
WJ3

I am still liking Brandon Wilson ( even before the KOR TD ) and Huber is the hardest working Bengal. Sick

(12-06-2020, 11:45 PM)Destro Wrote: I am still liking Brandon Wilson ( even before the KOR TD ) and Huber is the hardest working Bengal. Sick

I probably missed a couple. Maybe Lawson, too.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - C0de_M0nkey - 12-06-2020

Drew Sample is not a very good tight end. He ranks near the bottom of the league in receiving yards among tight ends. Most of his receptions have been screens and check downs. Overall the man just looks slow with the ball in his hands. He doesn't even have a touchdown yet. It never feels like he's a threat down the field or in the redszone.

Sample was a bad pick and he's a downgrade from Uzomah. Uzomah wasn't amazing but he still produced some highlight worthy plays. Drew Sample just doesn't pass the eye test in comparison.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Joelist - 12-07-2020

(12-06-2020, 11:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok if that’s all Taylor is going to use him for we need a MUCH better WR3. You can’t expect Boyd and Tee to carry the offense by themselves with no running game.

Exactly! As a TE-Y Sample is actually pretty good. But then that means we need 3 good receivers because we are not using our TE as a receiver. Right now we have Tee and Boyd and.....

Sad as it is we need either a Free Agent veteran possession WR (my preference) or we have to blow a Day 2 or 3 pick on another WR because Green is not doing the job, Tate has shown he cannot and the rest are crap. 

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - bfine32 - 12-07-2020

I kinda like this dude in the red uniform I'm watching tonight. I want one of them.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - impactplaya - 12-07-2020

There was a reason.why Sample wasnt featured
In.the Huskies offense as a TE. He lacked the wheels
And the ability to.find open.spots in the secondary.
He wasnt featured because he was actually good

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - rfaulk34 - 12-07-2020

(12-06-2020, 11:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's a weird defense, but it's weird to dump on a guy who caught every pass thrown to him, was 3rd on the team in receiving, and made some good blocks today.  

(12-06-2020, 11:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 7 rec for 49 yds 0 TD. He’s a check down. It’s kind of sad people are so impressed with that stat line.

I remember this argument a few weeks ago. 

Only it happened in some Bizarro World. O_o

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Nicomo Cosca - 12-07-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I kinda like this dude in the red uniform I'm watching tonight. I want one of them.

Too bad Jonah keeps getting hurt, Hart reminded us how terrible he is, and we had another goose egg in the sack column...

Pitts would look damn good in stripes.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - Nicomo Cosca - 12-07-2020

(12-06-2020, 08:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Is sample ever going to actually reach.the end zone
I.mean darn Kendall.Lamm of the 9 and 3 Browns
Has more TDs than Sample

(12-06-2020, 09:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who?  :shocked:

Browns offensive lineman. I didn’t know what he was talking about, but I just saw the highlight. He does have more career TD’s than Sample LOL

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - DYT_Bengal - 12-11-2020

This thread wouldn’t exist if he was taken later in the draft. /endthread

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - fredtoast - 12-11-2020

(12-11-2020, 01:46 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: This thread wouldn’t exist if he was taken later in the draft. /endthread

Rep.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - impactplaya - 12-11-2020

2nd Rd picks are expected to bring a special skillset
To the team that equate to bring a difference maker.
Sample has not shown anything on the field that
Justifies his draft selection

(12-11-2020, 11:07 AM)impactplaya Wrote: 2nd Rd picks are expected to bring a special skillset
To the team that equate to bring a difference maker.
Sample has not shown anything on the field that
Justifies his draft selection

That does not mean he is a bum.  That just means you feel the team drafted him too high.

So a thread about him being a bum does not exist if he was not drafted in the second round (unless you are one of those guys who call half of the starters in the NFL "bums")

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - ochocincos - 12-11-2020

(12-07-2020, 12:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly! As a TE-Y Sample is actually pretty good. But then that means we need 3 good receivers because we are not using our TE as a receiver. Right now we have Tee and Boyd and.....

Sad as it is we need either a Free Agent veteran possession WR (my preference) or we have to blow a Day 2 or 3 pick on another WR because Green is not doing the job, Tate has shown he cannot and the rest are crap. 

I agree that the Bengals need 3 quality receivers but they only have two.
What I don't agree with is needing a possession receiver. That's Boyd's role.
The Bengals need an outside receiver who can get some separation. Given that Burrow struggles with the deep ball, I don't know if it necessarily needs to be a vertical threat because that receiver may not really catch many balls in that case. But someone who can either get separation with size, footwork, and/or crisp route running would help.

Personally, I'd rather go after a pass catching TE and use two-TE sets. That would also help the run game, as a TE (even if a move TE) typically will block better than a WR. The two-TE set also can help mask whether the play is going to be a run or pass.

If the Bengals were to trade back, I'd love to get Kyle Pitts. I think that dude is electric. I like him more than I liked the Eifert pickup.
If the Bengals wait until Rd 2, I'd be happy to get Pat Freiermuth if he falls that far. He suffered an unspecified season-ending injury but he did put up 310 yards in just 4 games. That would have been on pace to be his highest production if he were to have played a full season. In 2018, he had 368/8, and in 2019 he had 507/7. So he has proven pass catching production prior to this season too. Freiermuth also can block well, which would help keep him on the field.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - ochocincos - 12-11-2020

(12-11-2020, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That does not mean he is a bum.  That just means you feel the team drafted him too high.

So a thread about him being a bum does not exist if he was not drafted in the second round (unless you are one of those guys who call half of the starters in the NFL "bums")

This is basically it.
If he had been a Day 3 pick, no one (including myself) would be criticizing him as much.
But picking a TE in Rd 2, there is expectation (right or wrong) that the TE should be(come) a prominent pass catcher.
Thus far, Sample is almost finished with his second year and only 38 receptions for 331 yards and 0 TDs in 21 games played.
He's not really a bum, but he's not where most people would expect a 2nd round pick to be.

RE: Drew Sample is a Bum - impactplaya - 12-11-2020

(12-11-2020, 12:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is basically it.
If he had been a Day 3 pick, no one (including myself) would be criticizing him as much.
But picking a TE in Rd 2, there is expectation (right or wrong) that the TE should be(come) a prominent pass catcher.
Thus far, Sample is almost finished with his second year and only 38 receptions for 331 yards and 0 TDs in 21 games played.
He's not really a bum, but he's not where most people would expect a 2nd round pick to be.

Hes a bum.much like Ron Dugans was.
Sample can be easily replaced next year. 
How hard is it to replace a TE who will have no TDs in 2 seasons?

(12-11-2020, 01:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Hes a bum.much like Ron Dugans was.
Sample can be easily replaced next year. 
How hard is it to replace a TE who will have no TDs in 2 seasons?

Why don't you ask the 12 teams that don't have a TE ith as many receptions as Sample?

Among the 22 TEs with at least 30 receptions Sample is FOURTH in catch percentage and 16th in yards per target.

If he is so easy to replace why do so many teams have TEs that are not as productive or efficient as he is?