Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Geno and AJ - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Geno and AJ (/Thread-Geno-and-AJ)

Pages: 1 2

Geno and AJ - Sled21 - 01-06-2021

Seems most people think both these players have played their last games as Bengals. They could get him re-signed to a minimum deal loaded with incentives, making it up to him how much he gets paid. Geno, on the other hand, I think is back. He toughed out the season playing with a torn rotator cuff, which he is (has) undergoing surgery to repair. I remember an article about half way through the season , during the Carlos dustup, where he stated he and the team were basically on the same page about how he would be used. Knowing how MB feels about Geno, and add to the fact we never got to see him play next to Reader, I think there is a of chance they bring him back and let him retire a Bengal. More of a chance than AJ. I was convinced they plan on moving from AJ during the last game when they kept trying to force the ball to him so he could get the record.

What do you think they will do? Not what they should do, but what do you think they will do. I personally can't see MB cutting Geno.

RE: Geno and AJ - Nicomo Cosca - 01-06-2021

They’ll definitely cut Geno. That’s about 9 million (after dead cap) they can put towards FA.

RE: Geno and AJ - TecmoBengals - 01-06-2021

I think even if they wanted AJ back, AJ doesn't want to return. He'll look to sign with a team that can win now, someone like the Packers (if they want him) or just go for the highest amount of $$$$ he can get.

RE: Geno and AJ - CJD - 01-06-2021

AJ Green's 2020 salary + Geno Atkins' 2021 cap savings if cut before 6/1 = 27.771 million dollars.

That is so much money from 2 players who didn't really contribute that much in 2020 and that could, easily, go towards two high quality starters. For context, Jack Conklin, last year's prized Free agent Offensive Tackle, signed a 3 year 42 million dollar contract, with a cap hit of 8 million dollars in its first year (15 million of the 42 million dollar contract was a signing bonus, which split over five years [somehow the contract is considered a 5 year deal even though there is no base salary for 2023 and 2024. I don't know how the Browns managed this, but it's a cool idea], meaning his base salary of 5 million and signing bonus of 3 million dollars makes him cost 8 million, then 13 million and then 15 million in his 3 official years with the team).

I know the Bengals don't like guaranteeing those kinds of numbers but they could still afford a player of this caliber with just the cash saved from Geno's contract.

Now, they could, apparently (according to spotrac.com), save an additional 2.6 million dollars in 2021 cap space if they cut Geno Atkins after 6/1, which may be a good idea because it gives you time to work in free agency and the draft and be completely comfortable with your DT depth at that point, but it would also be a bit cruel to Geno, since it would mean he would miss the meat of the free agency period. I guess if you cut them after 6/1, you can split the dead cash over 2021 and 2022 for whatever reason...

Of course, Zac has shown that he doesn't really care about doing players favors like cutting them in time for them to see real action in free agency (See Andy Dalton, who Zac also benched on his birthday), so maybe they do wait until after 6/1 to cut him to get that additional 2.6 million dollars in cap space.

Geno may not be completely done, but I don't think he's at a stage in his career where you can justify paying him 12+ million dollars for the next two years of his career. Where we're at in our rebuild right now, we desperately need that money to sign some starters on the offensive line in free agency. If they renegotiate and cut a lot of money out of the contract, I'd love for him to stay but I don't really see that happening.

RE: Geno and AJ - SHRacerX - 01-06-2021

(01-06-2021, 09:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Seems most people think both these players have played their last games as Bengals. They could get him re-signed to a minimum deal loaded with incentives, making it up to him how much he gets paid. Geno, on the other hand, I think is back. He toughed out the season playing with a torn rotator cuff, which he is (has) undergoing surgery to repair. I remember an article about half way through the season , during the Carlos dustup, where he stated he and the team were basically on the same page about how he would be used. Knowing how MB feels about Geno, and add to the fact we never got to see him play next to Reader, I think there is a of chance they bring him back and let him retire a Bengal. More of a chance than AJ. I was convinced they plan on moving from AJ during the last game when they kept trying to force the ball to him so he could get the record.

What do you think they will do? Not what they should do, but what do you think they will do. I personally can't see MB cutting Geno.

Honestly, since you framed it as what i think they will do, instead of what they should do, I could see them definitely having Geno back, and even trying to bring back AJ Green.   I think both decisions would only further delay the overhaul and be very costly to the franchise, but the Bengals do love Green and Atkins.  

RE: Geno and AJ - XenoMorph - 01-06-2021

should definately move on from Green

Be surprised if Geno wanted to return

RE: Geno and AJ - bengalfan74 - 01-06-2021

I believe the trump card in this will be the lowering of the cap and the Bengals will have no choice but to dump one of them if not both. And I'm not sure either wants to be back especially AJ.

RE: Geno and AJ - KillerGoose - 01-06-2021

I don't believe that Geno has dropped off so drastically. I think he still has some juice. Green, surprisingly, really looks done. He could have been half-assing it but I never got that vibe from him, and it wouldn't benefit him to do so. I really think Green is just done. I think Geno has some pass rush left in him, though.

I think they move on from both, however.

RE: Geno and AJ - Nicomo Cosca - 01-06-2021

(01-06-2021, 11:17 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: should definately move on from Green

Be surprised if Geno wanted to return

It’s not up to Geno. He’s under contract.

RE: Geno and AJ - Memphis_Bengal - 01-06-2021

It's a moot point since AJ dos not want to come back but I could not stand another year of watching him put so little effort into making catches and generally looking disinterested while he was on the field.

RE: Geno and AJ - kalibengal - 01-06-2021

(01-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: AJ Green's 2020 salary + Geno Atkins' 2021 cap savings if cut before 6/1 = 27.771 million dollars.

That is so much money from 2 players who didn't really contribute that much in 2020 and that could, easily, go towards two high quality starters. For context, Jack Conklin, last year's prized Free agent Offensive Tackle, signed a 3 year 42 million dollar contract, with a cap hit of 8 million dollars in its first year (15 million of the 42 million dollar contract was a signing bonus, which split over five years [somehow the contract is considered a 5 year deal even though there is no base salary for 2023 and 2024. I don't know how the Browns managed this, but it's a cool idea], meaning his base salary of 5 million and signing bonus of 3 million dollars makes him cost 8 million, then 13 million and then 15 million in his 3 official years with the team).

I know the Bengals don't like guaranteeing those kinds of numbers but they could still afford a player of this caliber with just the cash saved from Geno's contract.

Now, they could, apparently (according to spotrac.com), save an additional 2.6 million dollars in 2021 cap space if they cut Geno Atkins after 6/1, which may be a good idea because it gives you time to work in free agency and the draft and be completely comfortable with your DT depth at that point, but it would also be a bit cruel to Geno, since it would mean he would miss the meat of the free agency period. I guess if you cut them after 6/1, you can split the dead cash over 2021 and 2022 for whatever reason...

Of course, Zac has shown that he doesn't really care about doing players favors like cutting them in time for them to see real action in free agency (See Andy Dalton, who Zac also benched on his birthday), so maybe they do wait until after 6/1 to cut him to get that additional 2.6 million dollars in cap space.

Geno may not be completely done, but I don't think he's at a stage in his career where you can justify paying him 12+ million dollars for the next two years of his career. Where we're at in our rebuild right now, we desperately need that money to sign some starters on the offensive line in free agency. If they renegotiate and cut a lot of money out of the contract, I'd love for him to stay but I don't really see that happening.
they both deserve to end their careers woith a team that wins playoff game or 2 and maybe a Superbowl.  

RE: Geno and AJ - WeezyBengal - 01-06-2021

Bringing Geno and AJ back would be the biggest mistakes this franchise could make this off-season...and I fully expect them to do that.

RE: Geno and AJ - Benton - 01-06-2021

I think geno is still under contract, so doubt he goes anywhere.

They'll probably offer aj a low contract like they do many(most?) Guys who contributed but are likely on their last couple years. And aj will probably sign somewhere else then disappear.

RE: Geno and AJ - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-07-2021

(01-06-2021, 10:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’ll definitely cut Geno. That’s about 9 million (after dead cap) they can put towards FA.

This is the bottom line right here.

I like Geno Atkins too and in the Mike Zimmer days he was an unstoppable force but now the Front Office must weigh age, future, recovery from surgery, and mostly salary as Nicomo mentions above.  The nine million dollars needs to go to more pressing needs.

As for AJ Green, I wish he was the same guy he was in his early years but he isn't.  That hurts to write.  AJ will get some playoff wins on a team which is already competitive but who needs one more proven offensive weapon.

RE: Geno and AJ - Nicomo Cosca - 01-07-2021

Green Bay seems like the perfect fit for AJ to me. They really don’t have much at WR after Adams, and he’ll have a top 2 QB in Rodgers throwing to him.

RE: Geno and AJ - SHRacerX - 01-07-2021

(01-06-2021, 11:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe the trump card in this will be the lowering of the cap and the Bengals will have no choice but to dump one of them if not both. And I'm not sure either wants to be back especially AJ.

I would love to see both go to the Falcons, since both are former Bulldogs and still have family there (and I think live there year-round).  

(01-07-2021, 10:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would love to see both go to the Falcons, since both are former Bulldogs and still have family there (and I think live there year-round).  

To a team even worse than us? Harsh.

RE: Geno and AJ - SHRacerX - 01-07-2021

(01-07-2021, 10:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: To a team even worse than us? Harsh.

Well, at least their division is not the greatest and I think Brees might be retiring.  Saints could fall off the map for a while.  It will be REALLY interesting to see how the enigmatic Buccaneers fare this post-season.  I hope Washington destroys them, but I am not holding my breath.  

RE: Geno and AJ - BFritz21 - 01-07-2021

I'd love to have both back but I think AJ is gone.

I think that everyone writing off Geno is wrong and I think that, returning healthy and at 100%, he could still be the difference maker that we need on defense.

People forget how dominant Geno is and that he was playing last season injured.

Geno is a generational player and you rarely find players that dominant at defensive tackle that provide the pass rush that he does.

Let Geno return to dominance and get a playoff win here!

(01-07-2021, 11:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd love to have both back but I think AJ is gone.

I think that everyone writing off Geno is wrong and I think that, returning healthy and at 100%, he could still be the difference maker that we need on defense.

People forget how dominant Geno is and that he was playing last season injured.

Geno is a generational player and you rarely find players that dominant at defensive tackle that provide the pass rush that he does.

Let Geno return to dominance and get a playoff win here!

Geno hasn’t been dominant for a couple years now. Look at his 2019 stats.