Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? (/Thread-Opinion-DeSantis-2024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 08-30-2021

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/453561-floridas-most-recent-covid-19-death-toll-continues-climbing-to-new-historic-worsts/

Quote:Over past 3 weeks, COVID-19 might be Florida's leading cause of death.

The number of people dying of COVID-19 in Florida continued to get worse in the past seven days, as the state set another record Friday with a weekly report tallying 1,727 new deaths acknowledged since last Friday.

With that report, Florida has averaged reporting more than 200 new COVID-19 deaths per day over a three-week stretch of August — the worst period of mortality seen in the Sunshine State’s entire 18-month coronavirus pandemic.

That level also means that in recent weeks COVID-19 might be the leading cause of death in Florida. COVID-19 deaths are being reported at a pace that exceeds what is typical for either heart disease or cancer, normally the two biggest killers in Florida.

That level also is far higher than what any other state is suffering this summer.

There has been much political gnashing of teeth recently as some state officials have sparred with journalists over high death numbers being reported. Reporting on Florida’s COVID-19 death rate is a task fraught with difficulty, as the state no longer publicly discloses dates of deaths for COVID-19 fatalities.

[Image: Floridian-Partners-Ad-1_728x90.jpg]

The way COVID-19 death reports percolate from local officials to state officials, and then to federal officials, information from those reports can take days or weeks to be tabulated, and often finally reaches the public domain in big, mixed batches some days, which federal authorities often release on Mondays and Thursdays in multi-day bundles. Meanwhile, on other days almost no new Florida COVID-19 death reports get tabulated for public disclosure.

For example, on Thursday, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services daily report showed that Florida had just presented 901 new death cases, as reported Thursday by the Miami Herald. The day before though, the federal agency showed that Florida sent information on just nine new COVID-19 fatalities. The day before that, Florida presented just six. And there is no clear way to trace those 901 deaths to any given day or days.

“A lie of omission is still a lie,” Gov. Ron DeSantis‘ press secretary Christina Pushaw blasted in a tweet about the Herald’s story, charging that it could have led some people to the false impression that 901 Floridians had died of COVID-19 in a single day.

Yet each and every death in the 901 total is real — a unique, tragic fatality. And available information says the most probable cause was COVID-19.

The Governor’s Office has said little publicly about Florida suffering record levels of COVID-19 deaths lately — or about the anguish all of those deaths is causing. Pushaw did not respond Friday to an inquiry from Florida Politics.

[Image: Awareness-Leads-New-2.jpg]

With the assumption that a three-week sample should cover enough time to absorb most anomalies or quirks in bureaucratic processing, Florida Politics compiled three weeks worth of data released by the state and by the federal government.

Florida’s COVID-19 mortality picture over the past three weeks is grim, based on the data the Florida Department of Health releases itself, weekly, late each Friday afternoon.

Over the past three weeks, Florida has tallied 4,284 COVID-19 additional deaths: 1,727 were added in the weekly report released Friday afternoon; 1,486 in the weekly report released a week earlier on Aug. 20; and 1,071 in the report released Aug. 13.

The cumulative deaths data in those three reports show Florida’s rate of uploading death reports is rising quickly. For the seven-days ending Friday, Florida averaged reporting 246 deaths per day, including the 901 reports reported by the federal government on Thursday and the nine posted the day before.

Over three weeks, Florida has averaged 204 COVID-19 death reports per day. No other cause of death tracked by the Department of Health tops that level, at least on an annual basis.

Weekly reports are not available for other causes of death, but the Florida Department of Health’s Division of Public Health Statistics does compile annual reports.

Over the past three years (with 2020 data still considered provisional,) Florida has tabulated heart disease deaths that averaged about 180-190 per day in each year, according that division’s Death Count Query System.

Over the past three years, Florida has seen cancer deaths averaging about 120-130 per day in each year.

Florida’s previous worst week for reported COVID-19 deaths was the week ending on Friday, Jan. 29, when Florida reported an average of 185 deaths per day over a seven-day period. The previous worst three-week period was the one ending Feb. 12, when Florida reported an average of 173 deaths per day over 21 days.

Texas also is seeing a dramatic spike in COVID-19 death reports, but not yet at Florida’s rate. Texas averaged 155 new death reports per day last week, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports. Over the past three weeks, Texas has been averaging 106 death reports per day, according to federal data.

Louisiana and Mississippi have endured higher COVID-19 death rates per capita in recent weeks, according to federal data. However, Florida has suffered the nation’s third-highest per capita death rate in recent weeks, twice as high as the death rate in Texas and five times the death rate in California.

Here is the Florida Department of Health’s report for this week:

[Image: 2021-08-27_17-59-52.png]

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/452529-floridas-deadliest-time-for-covid-19-is-right-now/

Quote:About 200 new COVID-19 deaths are being recorded every day in Florida.

This month Florida is seeing its deadliest days yet of the COVID-19 pandemic.

At no time in the coronavirus pandemic has Florida recorded more deaths attributed to COVID-19 than last week. And trend lines are skyrocketing.

The state’s official death toll rose 1,486 in last Friday’s weekly COVID-19 report from the Florida Department of Health. That one-week increase was by far the single-biggest weekly increase since the Sunshine State’s first COVID-19 fatalities were confirmed in March 2020.

While Gov. Ron DeSantis barnstorms Florida encouraging people to try monoclonal antibody treatment if they get COVID-19, and while he and his staff battle with news media over how that effort is being reported, an average of more than 200 new COVID-19 deaths are being quietly tallied in Florida every day.

Previously, Florida’s worst one-week increase in cumulative deaths was recorded during the week leading up to the Jan. 29 state report, when 1,296 new COVID-19 deaths were added to the state’s total.

[Image: LibertyPartner_banner2_720x90-1.png]

COVID-19 deaths are difficult to track day-to-day or week-to-week in anything close to real time because local officials can take days or even weeks to determine and report a cause of death. Consequently, the weekly number of new deaths the state reports for any given week is only a fraction of the total number of people who actually died of the disease during that week. The true grim toll is not revealed except over time, as those delayed COVID-19 fatality reports eventually arrive and get added into the state’s running total.

That means most of the 1,486 deaths recorded last Friday likely were of people who died of COVID-19 complications during previous weeks.

Nonetheless, the deaths are real. The cumulative total remains the most reliable measure of mortality. And the surge in fatalities is real — a very recent, tragically-huge loss of life — even if it cannot be easily assigned to any specific day without more detailed information, which the state no longer publicly releases.

What’s more, trends don’t suggest the worst is over, or that things will get better anytime soon.

Past trends from the pandemic have shown that death tolls peak two to four weeks after case totals peak. Florida recorded its worst week for new COVID-19 cases for the pandemic with the Aug. 13 weekly report, showing cumulative cases increasing by 151,764. That was up from 134,751 the week before, and 110,724 the week before that. The Aug. 20 report showed the cumulative total of new COVID-19 cases perhaps plateauing, with 150,740 added in the previous week.

[Image: LibertyPartner_banner2_720x90-1.png]

Prior to the past four weeks, Florida had only ever recorded more than 100,000 new COVID-19 cases in a seven-day period once, in early January.

Florida’s death toll also has skyrocketed over the past month, to last week’s record of 1,486 newly recorded fatalities. Florida added 1,071 COVID-19 deaths to its total in the previous weekly report issued Aug. 13; 616 the week before that; 409 the week before that, and 282 with the weekly report issued July 23.

The state’s previous one-week high of 1,296 deaths for a Friday-through-Thursday period — the same seven-day cycle now covered in Florida’s weekly reports — was recorded on Jan. 29, three weeks after the previous high point for new cases was recorded, Jan. 8. That Jan. 29 report marked the fourth in a string of seven consecutive weeks in which more than 1,000 Floridians were recorded each week to have died of COVID-19.

That tragic period of late winter was the worst Florida had ever seen, until now.

In the summer surge of 2020, Florida’s worst week was the one leading into the Aug. 14, 2020, state report, when the state’s death toll went up by 1,214 newly recorded COVID-19 fatalities over seven days. That was the third of four consecutive weeks of more than 1,000 newly recorded deaths. That summer surge came and went more quickly than the winter surge.

Federal authorities compile and post state COVID-19 data through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s HealthData.gov website. However, while the federal government’s posted numbers are usually similar to those publicly released by Florida, they never quite match, day-to-day or week-to-week.

In its most recent report, posted late Monday with data through last Thursday, the CDC site had added 1,380 new COVID-19 deaths to Florida’s running total for the seven-day period.

The federal numbers can be used to compare Florida with other states. No other state is seeing nearly as many people die of COVID-19 as Florida.

With the CDC’s latest report Texas saw its death toll increased by 777 new COVID-19 fatalities over seven days. Louisiana, which has a higher per-capita death rate than Florida’s, saw 389 new deaths recorded in that period; California, 346.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html

S
Quote:tates ranked by COVID-19 death rates: Aug. 30
Mackenzie Bean - Updated 2 hours ago Print  | Email

Listen

As of Aug. 30, more than 637,000 people in the U.S. had died after contracting COVID-19, according to The New York Times.
The Times used data from reports of coronavirus cases and deaths by U.S. states and counties. The database includes cases and deaths that have been identified by public health officials as probable coronavirus patients, which means they did not have confirmed tests for coronavirus infection but were evaluated using criteria developed by national and local governments. Read more about the data here
Here is a breakdown of average daily COVID-19 deaths and COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 people over the last seven days in all 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. The data was last updated Aug. 30. 
Note: States are ranked by deaths per 100,000. The list includes ties. 
Mississippi
Deaths per 100,000: 1.38
Daily average deaths: 41.1

Louisiana
Deaths per 100,000: 1.36
Daily average deaths: 63.

Florida
Deaths per 100,000: 1.15
Daily average deaths: 246.7

Arkansas
Deaths per 100,000: 0.97
Daily average deaths: 29.3

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BmorePat87 - 08-30-2021

(08-30-2021, 12:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm going to give you a completely honest answer with some explanation, and I hope you'll respond.  My answer is I don't know.  You can scoff at this if you'd like, or you can choose to continue reading. (Fwiw, I hope you choose the latter.)

I'm going to break this down into two distinct timeframes:  March 2020-June 2021 and July 2021-August 2021.

The first timeline, which is the start of pandemic though the month of June of this year.  No, I do not think he shit the bed.  Despite so many people saying his policies were a disaster, the numbers just weren't there to support he had done a terrible job.  (You can read through earlier in the thread for many of those numbers) 

They were essentially average in cases, and slightly below in deaths, which is rather suprising.  Not only because of the policies so many bemoaned but because of things like population density, having numerous "big cities", travel into the state, and average age (Florida is an older state).  Despite all of these things working against them, and despite so many people claiming he was setting them up for disaster, their case rates and death rates fared no worse than any number of more heavy handed approaches by others.  In fact, in some case they were better than states who were much more agressive in their approach.

A lot of this was based on averages from the start of the pandemic that included the massive losses in NYC during the first 6 weeks or so when we lacked the infrastructure to combat the pandemic and when it was primarily impacting NYC, the most densely populated city. After that initial surge, FL greatly outpaced areas like NY, fueled by the summer surge in which they reported 20% more deaths than average as most states saw a huge decline.

I understand that you would still argue that the difference wasn't big enough to suggest this was just the results of the governor and not a demographic or travel issue. However, the comparison to California from an earlier post shoots this down 

Quote:Now were onto the second timeframe, the one where it's been very bad for Flordia.  You can see their numbers gradually start to rise in early July and steadily go up reaching a peak in the middle of August and still remaining high.  This is not at all a good thing of course, and it is certainly not a good look.  There are people such as yourself that now seemingingly have all of the ammuntion they need to hammer Desantis.

But here's where I'd really like you to focus on this post.  I'd really love some answers to some questions.  Don't be "pathetic" and avoid them.  I'm asking these in real-time not digging up a post from 6 months ago like you did with mine.

1.) What policies are currently in place in Flordia that you think have contributed to the extreme rise in case from July 1st today?  Or more simply put, what do you think Densantis has done wrong or what should have he done since this time?

2.) Assuming you've answered question #1 with some examples, can you point me to any other states that are following a similar approach?  Is Desantis alone in these lack of restrictions; is he on an island in his approach?

3.)  Do you feel they are any things outside of Desantis control, or that are inherent to Florida that lead this rise?  i.e. Tourisim, being a destination for a lot younger crowds and partying, having 8 of the top 10 biggest theme parks in America, being an older state, etc.

1. I highlighted policies already. The big emphasis is going to be on not mandating basic things like masks and barring localities from instituting such rules. These basic things play a huge rule in stopping the spread. Be it restaurants or schools, fighting to prevent counties from instituting their own rules harmed his state. But it also created a culture of not believing in the merit of these measures. People like DeSantis fought a culture war, turning masks into political arguments. 

2. Similar states are Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee. 

Florida leads in vaccination between them. Florida has 10.5% more vaccinated than Tenn and 12% more vaccinated than Ark. Those are huge differences. They also lead proportionally in cases, deaths, and hospitalizations despite that. 

3. Do I think this is all a result of DeSantis? You do need to take into account factors like age and travel, but California also depends on travel and did not see the same rise this summer, despite having similar issues last summer, as they allowed localities to make laws to adjust to the variants. Arkansas has 3% less seniors but 12% less vaccinated and isn't at the same levels. New York has 5% less seniors but a similar amount under 18. They also have 40% of their population in 1 city, the economic hub of our country. They are no where near the level that Florida is.

So, yes, DeSantis has to own a huge share of this. 

Quote:I'm not asking loaded questions, I swear.  Perhaps there are policies I'm unaware of that are contributing to this, perhaps there is much he could have done.  I honestly have not been following the Covid stuff all that close lately.  I finally tuned out when things started looking like we were through the woods, and haven't picked it back up.  I'm covid'd out.  

But here's the thing.  You're going to have to do better than you just showing me numbers and assigning blame.  I want to know what you think is causing this and how it could have been avoided.  How is he specifically repsonsible?  Because I can't buy the "the state is totally open" when most states are totally open.  I can't buy the "he doesn't have mask mandates" when most states don't have mask mandates.  I can't buy the masks in school argument just yet because they're irrelevant to the numbers seen from July through August.

So fill me in.  What am I missing?  What are his failures in July and August and how do they differ from everyone else?  I look forward to your reply.  Maybe I'll learn something.  I mean that honestly

It comes down to creating a culture war in his state that attacked public health officials and attacked the idea that masks are effective tools and something we should promote. By pushing against officials who reported true statistics and failing to allow localities to create and enforce mask mandates to control surges when they occurred, he pushed his state to the breaking point they are currently at. They are suffering more now than ever before. It's a situation he caused. He openly mocked placed that used masks. He said he beat covid months ago. He told Floridans that it was safe and that protective measures were a violation of their rights. 

To answer your question from your last post. I would give LA's governor blame. I would also point to the fact that he did institute protective measures but his state is lagging behind in getting vaccinations. He is in the weird position where he's a Democratic in state that heavily voted for Trump and a state that has refused to get vaccinated. In this case, you see huge numbers but then low vaccinations, and you can point to the biggest factor as being vaccinations. This is of course very different from having high vaccination numbers, no mask mandates, and high cases/deaths. At that point, the lack of safety measures is the bigger culprit. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BmorePat87 - 08-31-2021

and he's withholding the funding from two districts despite a court striking it down. Meanwhile parents are lining up to get mask exemption forms from a chiropractor in Sarasota. Guy isn't even asking to see their kids. Apparently he has a stack of pre-filled forms.

#shitthebed

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - bengaloo - 09-05-2021

Im very happy to see Ron DeSantis rolling out very effective treatments for covid. Monoclonal antibody treatments can and will save many lives if its being used across the US and the world. This is not the only treatment that can saves lives but its one of them and good to see them actually using it instead of politicizing it. This decision by DeSantis will most likely boost the chances of him being the RNC presidential candidate if he so chooses. We've spent way over a year with most medical doctors not even offering early treatment for active covid cases, until they end up in the hospital 2 weeks into covid. That has been criminal, imo. We need more public servants to begin pushing covid treatments, because the vaccines are failing at this point. We need more doctors to grow a pair and treat their patients early with the treatments that have shown potential. Yes, and that means the "horsepill" that won the nobel prize in 2015 for saving human lives from parasite infection complications, and then was modified to also be able to treat animals. Good stuff. ( https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2015/press-release/ )

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/454561-hospital-associations-mary-mayhew-touts-very-encouraging-trends-for-covid-19/

Quote:Scott Powers
September 2, 2021
4min
COVID-19Florida Hospital AssociationHospitalizationsMary MähenMonoclonal Antibody TreatmentMorning JoeMSNBCRon DeSantisVaccinationsWillie Geist
Related Articles
APOLITICALHEADLINES
Emory Jones starts, Anthony Richardson shines as No. 13 Florida wins 35-14
EMAILS & OPINIONSHEADLINES
Winner and Loser of the Week in Florida politics — Week of 8.29.21
CORONAVIRUSHEADLINES
Washington state vaccine mandate moves forward
But it's not over. 'Our hospitals are still very full... our staff are exhausted,' she said.
Florida hospitals are seeing “very encouraging trends” in hospital admissions for COVID-19, Florida Hospital Association President Mary Mayhew told a national TV audience Thursday morning.

She credited Gov. Ron DeSantis‘ frequent promotion of monoclonal antibody treatments, and his efforts to make them widely available in Florida, as among the reasons for recent improvement and for hope that the summer surge may be waning in the Sunshine State.

Mayhew started out on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” show Friday noting Florida has been on the front-end of the nation’s summer surge of COVID-19, with “a dramatic increase in hospitalizations over a seven week period.”

But the tide has shifted, she said, since a peak of 17,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations a couple of weeks ago.

“Right now we are seeing very encouraging trends. Our hospitalizations have dropped dramatically. We are now down to 14,800 hospitalizations. This is extremely encouraging. Our admissions are dropping as well,” she said after co-anchor Willie Geist asked her to provide a snapshot of what’s now happening in Florida.

“So there are signs that we have peaked and are headed in the right direction,” Mayhew said.

She called the monoclonal antibody treatment “a very effective treatment” in reducing hospitalizations.

“Gov. DeSantis has set up 21 sites around the state. Over 40,000 individuals have received treatment over the last several weeks. That is absolutely contributing,” Mayhew said.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BmorePat87 - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 12:21 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Im very happy to see Ron DeSantis rolling out very effective treatments for covid. Monoclonal antibody treatments can and will save many lives if its being used across the US and the world. This is not the only treatment that can saves lives but its one of them and good to see them actually using it instead of politicizing it. This decision by DeSantis will most likely boost the chances of him being the RNC presidential candidate if he so chooses. We've spent way over a year with most medical doctors not even offering early treatment for active covid cases, until they end up in the hospital 2 weeks into covid. That has been criminal, imo. We need more public servants to begin pushing covid treatments, because the vaccines are failing at this point. We need more doctors to grow a pair and treat their patients early with the treatments that have shown potential. Yes, and that means the "horsepill" that won the nobel prize in 2015 for saving human lives from parasite infection complications, and then was modified to also be able to treat animals. Good stuff. ( https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2015/press-release/ )

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/454561-hospital-associations-mary-mayhew-touts-very-encouraging-trends-for-covid-19/

I doubt this will help him become the RNC nominee. The Trump side of the tent is the only side that is going to support him in the primary, and they care more about his irresponsible fight against masks than promoting treatments. This move alone isn't enough to make a Neo Con suddenly support him after everything else he has done.

How are vaccines failing? 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BigPapaKain - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 05:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How are vaccines failing? 

Because the echo chamber says so.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 09-06-2021

(09-05-2021, 05:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I doubt this will help him become the RNC nominee. The Trump side of the tent is the only side that is going to support him in the primary, and they care more about his irresponsible fight against masks than promoting treatments. This move alone isn't enough to make a Neo Con suddenly support him after everything else he has done.

How are vaccines failing? 

Probably because, and I'm ashamed to admit I just caught on to this this weekend, the anti-vax/the vaccine doesn't work crowd seems to be operating under the false illusion that the vaccine was going to completely eliminate any change of getting sick immediately.  Not that it lessens your chances of getting sick or getting more sick than without.  Or that if everyone got vaccinated and the virus could not spread as easily or last long enough to mutate more that we could severely limit it's reach.  

Covid may never go completely away.

There were some case of the plague this year.

But this group of mental giants wants to live in a black and white world and since that is not the reality they can claim their opinions are as good as anyone else.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - jason - 09-06-2021

(09-05-2021, 12:21 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Im very happy to see Ron DeSantis rolling out very effective treatments for covid. Monoclonal antibody treatments can and will save many lives if its being used across the US and the world. This is not the only treatment that can saves lives but its one of them and good to see them actually using it instead of politicizing it. This decision by DeSantis will most likely boost the chances of him being the RNC presidential candidate if he so chooses. We've spent way over a year with most medical doctors not even offering early treatment for active covid cases, until they end up in the hospital 2 weeks into covid. That has been criminal, imo. We need more public servants to begin pushing covid treatments, because the vaccines are failing at this point. We need more doctors to grow a pair and treat their patients early with the treatments that have shown potential. Yes, and that means the "horsepill" that won the nobel prize in 2015 for saving human lives from parasite infection complications, and then was modified to also be able to treat animals. Good stuff. ( https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2015/press-release/ )

I spent 15 hours in a vehicle with 2 people who are sick as **** with covid. I'm still negative. The vaccine isn't failing homeboy... Critical thinking and basic understanding of science are.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - bengaloo - 09-07-2021

(09-06-2021, 03:59 PM)jason Wrote: I spent 15 hours in a vehicle with 2 people who are sick as **** with covid. I'm still negative. The vaccine isn't failing homeboy... Critical thinking and basic understanding of science are.

That is good news you are still negative! Truly hope it stays that way for you and the people you traveled with recover in short order! 

Kirby Smart the HC of the Georgia Bulldogs just said their team has been hit harder than any point in this pandemic and they are a 90% vaccinated staff and team. Of everyone who is currently infected with covid, all of them are vaccinated. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32160799/georgia-football-coach-kirby-smart-says-90-vaccination-bulldogs-experiencing-highest-spike-covid-19

Of everyone I know who are in quarantine right now, all of them have been vaccinated. 

Pfizer is rushing out a booster shot because so many vaccinated people are getting covid. The raw data suggest it offers only 39-40% protection against delta. I would call that a failure. Just my opinion though homeboy. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 09-07-2021

(09-07-2021, 10:12 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Pfizer is rushing out a booster shot because so many vaccinated people are getting covid. The raw data suggest it offers only 39-40% protection against delta. I would call that a failure. Just my opinion though homeboy. 

Isn't 40% more than 0%?  

Maybe I'm not getting your entire argument between here and jungle noise, but isn't the vaccine supposed to make covid less likely to kill you and/or put you into massive debt via hospital visits and long-term issues?  I'm vaxxed and I'm still practically bracing myself to get covid eventually, but I feel like this at least gives me a fighting chance to be able to continue with my daily life.

(09-07-2021, 10:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Isn't 40% more than 0%?  

40% is too many for something pushed as a vaccine that would stop the pandemic. Natural immunity is far superior, as we all know now. However, early treatment for covid is what could really actually save lives and end the pandemic. 500 million doses of monoclonal antibody treatments were shipped all over the US a long time ago. These treatments can save lives, yet most of them are collecting dust on the shelves while people keep pushing the vaccines. Its time to use some common sense. If you want the vaccine, get it, but whether your vaccinated or not, early treatment should be on the table and its insane that most clinics dont treat active covid cases with the plethora of treatments that can treat it. They are sending people home until they get sick enough to be hospitalized. Enough is enough. All options should be on the table. We either take saving lives seriously, or keep pushing vaccines that are showing to be less effective than we were told. 

(09-07-2021, 10:49 AM)bengaloo Wrote: 500 million doses of monoclonal antibody treatments were shipped all over the US a long time ago. 

Wait, so you are saying the US government is intentionally withholding 500 million life-saving treatments that outnumber our population as a whole while letting people rack up insane medical bills and/or die?

(09-07-2021, 10:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wait, so you are saying the US government is intentionally withholding 500 million life-saving treatments that outnumber our population as a whole while letting people rack up insane medical bills and/or die?

No, I'm not saying that at all. The treatments have been shipped to hospitals, nursing homes. clinics, etc. The doctors who are using them are doing it with great success, but not enough are using them. Monoclonal antibody treatments are legit and should be used hands down if it can save lives. Dont you think? 

(09-07-2021, 10:55 AM)bengaloo Wrote: No, I'm not saying that at all. The treatments have been shipped to hospitals, nursing homes. clinics, etc. The doctors who are using them are doing it with great success, but not enough are using them. Monoclonal antibody treatments are legit and should be used hands down if it can save lives. Dont you think? 

Well yes, but you are saying that doctors engaging in what seems like a widespread conspiracy to withhold life-saving treatments from patients.  That's a pretty substantial accusation, is all I'm saying.

So can I just go get this treatment, or what?  Have you gotten it yet?

(09-07-2021, 11:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well yes, but you are saying that doctors engaging in what seems like a widespread conspiracy to withhold life-saving treatments from patients.  That's a pretty substantial accusation, is all I'm saying.

So can I just go get this treatment, or what?  Have you gotten it yet?

I'm not saying anything about any conspiracy. I'm just saying that we have these treatments available and they should be used way more than they have. 

If you have an active case of covid, you should just be able to get that treatment. I would recommend calling clinics and asking them if they will treat active cases with the antibodies. You should be able to basically demand it in the ER. They will administer it via IV for an hour, then you wait another hour, and go home. I haven't had the treatment because I havent had a bad case of covid with bad symptoms, but if I did, I would want this treatment for sure. 

Here is some more info about the treatment for those who are interested
https://www.unc.edu/posts/2021/08/31/monoclonal-antibody-infusion-therapy-for-covid-19/

It was FDA approved in May
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-additional-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-covid-19

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/local/very-effective-atrium-health-navicent-readies-monoclonal-covid-19-antibody-treatment/93-00e89f8c-d5a7-4a70-9a33-2b1aa46a9699

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/07/hawaii-physician-rushing-set-up-antibody-clinics/

Honestly I could do this all day, even with videos of doctors using it with excellent results and testifying in front of senate, but I think at some point folks should look into it for themselves and do their own research.

But why are we just letting people die of covid if we have enough of this stuff to give damn near everyone in the country a dose and still have 100 million+ left over? Are other countries using this stuff or are they also just sitting on it and letting people die?

(09-07-2021, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: But why are we just letting people die of covid if we have enough of this stuff to give damn near everyone in the country a dose and still have 100 million+ left over?  Are other countries using this stuff or are they also just sitting on it and letting people die?

That is a very, very good question. Other countries have been using all kinds of treatments, including the forbidden hydroxy and ivermectin. But its not just those. Dr's are using steroids, blood thinners, and a myriad of treatments that can help save lives and "prevent" hospitalization. But we need ALL doctors to start treating people. For instance Covid has been proven to cause blood clotting in some people, a lot of people, and some of those who died have died because of the clots in their lungs and heart. Maybe blood thinners could help those folks? 

If I had to guess why "treatment" isnt the popular way of thinking for covid, I would say follow the money. Yes now that sounds more like a conspiracy, and I dont mean it to at all, but we all know that large corps who stand to make billions of dollars will do anything they can to make that money. How many kickbacks have they given? An Ex-pro NBA player just recently came out and admitted that he was offered money to get on TV and promote the vaccines. 

I'm not anti vaccine, especially for the vulnerable or people who dont have natural immunity, but to think we cannot treat covid cases is ludicrous with the knowledge we have at this point. We are just not doing it. Maybe its time to start demanding it? I care about people. I'm not political about saving lives. We all deserve to live, including the people on the far right and far left.