Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? (/Thread-Opinion-DeSantis-2024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Belsnickel - 09-17-2022

(09-17-2022, 07:54 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://nypost.com/2022/09/15/dems-are-upset-that-desantis-has-made-them-look-in-the-mirror-on-migration/

NY Post swings and misses yet again with an article that is just providing confirmation bias to their readership.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 09-17-2022

(09-17-2022, 08:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: NY Post swings and misses yet again with an article that is just providing confirmation bias to their readership.

Aye.  The right wing noise machine has been in full-blown lie mode over this.  Every tweet and story has been about how made they made the libs but misses the point that these people were taken in and taken care of.  

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Dill - 09-17-2022

(09-17-2022, 07:54 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://nypost.com/2022/09/15/dems-are-upset-that-desantis-has-made-them-look-in-the-mirror-on-migration/

Dems will NEVER get it.

The other Post mentions a historical precedent--The "Reverse Freedom Rides" of 1962, when white citizens councils duped
busloads of black Americans into a ride to JFK's home, to show the liberal yankees what its like in segregated states. If they share
the pain, then maybe they would stop ramming this "civil rights" and woke "social justice" crap down southerners throats.

Back then, as today, Dems were squawking about equality and ethics and human beings used as pawns and other liberal bullshit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/09/16/reverse-freedom-rides-marthas-vineyard-desantis/

lol "Hey, junior, the bus is this way! There'll be ice cream in Massachussets!" Imagine the look on this kid's face when he gets off the bus in Hyannis Port and no one greats his family with ice cream--or the promised jobs.

[Image: ap_6206080175_wide-403bd86c6c1b22a3085df...aeeb0f.jpg]

Then smug liberal volunteer relief committees spoiled the whole political lesson by feeding and finding work for these people, even though they were BLACK!!  And two years later, the Civil Rights Act was passed anyway.

Trump got it. De Santis gets it. But the more things change, the more liberals stay the same!  

Next move--maybe send the parents to one city and the kids to another! Make them adopt the kids who get lost in the shuffle.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Belsnickel - 09-18-2022

(09-17-2022, 10:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Dems will NEVER get it.

The other Post mentions a historical precedent--The "Reverse Freedom Rides" of 1962, when white citizens councils duped
busloads of black Americans into a ride to JFK's home, to show the liberal yankees what its like in segregated states. If they share
the pain, then maybe they would stop ramming this "civil rights" and woke "social justice" crap down southerners throats.

Back then, as today, Dems were squawking about equality and ethics and human beings used as pawns and other liberal bullshit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/09/16/reverse-freedom-rides-marthas-vineyard-desantis/

lol "Hey, junior, the bus is this way! There'll be ice cream in Massachussets!" Imagine the look on this kid's face when he gets off the bus in Hyannis Port and no one greats his family with ice cream--or the promised jobs.

[Image: ap_6206080175_wide-403bd86c6c1b22a3085df...aeeb0f.jpg]

Then smug liberal volunteer relief committees spoiled the whole political lesson by feeding and finding work for these people, even though they were BLACK!!  And two years later, the Civil Rights Act was passed anyway.

Trump got it. De Santis gets it. But the more things change, the more liberals stay the same!  

Next move--maybe send the parents to one city and the kids to another! Make them adopt the kids who get lost in the shuffle.

To be fair, when Trump was saying MAGA we all knew he was referring to a time when segregation was the norm.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - masonbengals fan - 09-18-2022

There it is… that liberal compassion that they will pat themselves on the back for - followed up with “ they will have to go somewhere else”.

Nothing says taken in & taken care of like loading your ass on another bus and sending you somewhere else.

Sad situation all around which has been made exponentially worse by the current administration.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 07:51 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: There it is… that liberal compassion that they will pat themselves on the back for - followed up with “ they will have to go somewhere else”.  

Nothing says taken in & taken care of like loading your ass on another bus and sending you somewhere else.

Sad situation all around which has been made exponentially worse by the current administration.

They were taken to shelters.

If a busload of anyone showed up at my house and I didn't have the ability to care for them I would make sure they got where they COULD be taken care of as human beings.

(09-18-2022, 08:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: They were taken to shelters.

If a busload of anyone showed up at my house and I didn't have the ability to care for them I would make sure they got where they COULD be taken care of as human beings.

Looks like you may be starting to comprehend the plight of our southern states. So the political ploy (As shitty as it is) may just be working.

I don't believe for 2 seconds that the numerous multi-millionaire citizens of MV lack the resources to care for 50 people. 

(09-18-2022, 09:15 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Looks like you may be starting to comprehend the plight of our southern states. So the political ploy (As shitty as it is) may just be working.

I don't believe for 2 seconds that the numerous multi-millionaire citizens of MV lack the resources to care for 50 people. 

Sigh.

They have the money...not the resources.

There are place set up to handle that.

I didn't get even get into the fact that DeSantis took people ALREADY in shelters and then changed their addresses and shipped them off.  Those people would need to go to THE NEW ADRESS DeSantis' people gave them for their hearings...and he shipped them ALL to MA.

[/url]
Quote:Frenemy of the Court

@flanagancan

I wonder if it would help to explain some nuances of the Martha's Vineyard situation that may be lost on the general public.

These folks had already been processed by DHS and were in a private shelter getting ready to make onward journeys when DeSantis's people tricked them.

The U.S. government doesn't provide a dime for asylum seekers not in detention, but they also can't work for at least 6 months.

These folks were eager to work and it sounds like they agreed to go to Mass because someone said they'd get their work permits faster that way.

Meanwhile, these folks have upcoming deportation court dates all over the country. They will be ordered deported if they don't show.

That's partly why advocates are so appalled. DeSantis made these folks go out of their way and potentially sabotage their cases for a cruel prank.

The whole premise of the stunt (i.e. migrants burdening border states) is also absurd. If DeSantis had done nothing, many of these folks would already be at their original destinations across the country. Indeed, the busiest deportation court (SF) isn't even near the border.

Also, once again, the U.S. government doesn't care what happens to asylum seekers released from detention, so the fact that the folks are getting accommodated at the military base in Mass is also unusual.

To be clear, I think the lack of immediate accommodation or permission to work sucks. In fact, that's what made this whole ruse possible in the first place.

As an aside, the bogus brochure DeSantis's people gave out implied folks could get Refugee Cash Assistance. RCA is only for people who've won their cases. Ironically, in my experience, by the time people are eligible for those benefits, they make too much money to qualify.

Meanwhile, there's not a single red cent for people who show up at the border, often on foot and with only the clothes on their backs.

Correction: SF isn't the busiest overall, just in California. These are the top-10 busiest deportation courts. As you can see, not a single one is on the Southern border. The closest to the U.S.-Mexico land border (#6) is Dallas.

Source: https://trac.syr.edu/phptools/immigration/court_backlog/…

[Image: Fc40lJmaIAAutWb?format=jpg&name=small]
[url=https://twitter.com/flanagancan/status/1571251606162935810/photo/1]

Are there problems with the immigration system?  You betcha!  Do stunts like these do anything to fix them?  In no way.

Tax money is already going from MA to TX or the border...and even though the pawns in DeSantis' prank were met with compassion and care the right keeps lying about it anyway.

The gop doesn't WANT to fix the problem...they never do unless its the "problem" of the rich paying taxes...they want something to campaign on.

Here's a good example, one of many, where a conservative (I assume...lol) LIES while sharing the video that proves them a liar.

(09-18-2022, 07:51 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: There it is… that liberal compassion that they will pat themselves on the back for - followed up with “ they will have to go somewhere else”.

The big issue with the Biden administration is the end of Title 42. Title 42 was actually a violation of international law as it prohibited those with asylum claims from having their claim vetted and instead expelled them immediately. It was enacted as a response to the pandemic and because of the pandemic becoming less of an immediate crisis was ended because of its tenuous legality when it comes to human rights.

Since then, Biden has been transporting these immigrants claiming asylum from the border areas that are being overwhelmed and to areas more inland that still have resources available so they can have a place to be while they are waiting for their trial dates. This is a process that is carried out through DHS so that they can keep tabs on these immigrants and make sure the processes are being followed. It is all above board and it is a case of the Biden administration actually trying to alleviate the burden on the border states.

What DeSantis did was mislead these immigrants into thinking they were being sent somewhere in a similar fashion to the federal programs. Instead, Martha's Vineyard and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts were unaware of the situation and had not prepared for their arrival. In addition, a videographer was sent with them to document the whole thing because it had nothing to do with actually helping the situation somewhere, but instead a political stunt. DeSantis not only lied to these immigrants, but he also misappropriated state funds because the money had been allocated for removal of immigrants from Florida but these immigrants were not in Florida at all. These immigrants were manipulated and lied to, being used as objects instead of autonomous human beings and that is the biggest issue on the left right now.

When they arrived on Martha's Vineyard, which due to it being much more of a vacation spot doesn't have the infrastructure to handle this type of situation, the people there coordinated with organizations on the mainland and transported them so they could be taken care of.

The lack of common ***** sense from people on this is ludicrous. "They have money, they could have taken care of them! Don't mind the fact that they don't have the infrastructure that exists for such things! That doesn't matter!" I swear, the right-wing noise machine has made it so people on the right can't ***** think for themselves anymore. They just parrot what they hear in their echo chamber. They even want the people that are supposed to be really doing the research to come up with conservative policies to just blindly follow the incoherent ramblings of the charlatans in the media.

I swear, as much of a government cog as I am I just find myself drawn back into the music of my younger years more and more. The punk rock music of discontent that fueled my disdain for the system.

Our immigration problems have been made worse on a grand scale by our current president & his doggedness to overturn all things Trump.

And you actually think he & his are party gonna fix it now? Remember the migrant whipping fiasco. That really helped to show his support for our poor border patrol guys trying to maintain some kind of order in an overwhelming situation.

This MV stunt has at least shined a light on those same hypocrites.

Just because you & the Bengals board P&R Dems fail to see it doesn't mean others can't.

For the record I don't believe either side is seriously interested in fixing the problem. That would require working together & compromise. Something which almost seems impossible in today's climate.

(09-18-2022, 09:58 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Our immigration problems have been made worse on a grand scale by our current president & his doggedness to overturn all things Trump.

What specific policy decisions has the current administration made, not counting the ending of Title 42, that has made the immigration "worse on a grand scale?"

(09-18-2022, 09:58 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: This MV stunt has at least shined a light on those same hypocrites.

All it has done is provided confirmation bias for those that already felt a certain way. Everyone else sees it for what it is, a stunt, and one that violated the human rights of those immigrants.

(09-18-2022, 01:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What specific policy decisions has the current administration made, not counting the ending of Title 42, that has made the immigration "worse on a grand scale?"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2022/09/16/fncs_heinrich_to_wh_do_you_think_the_current_immigration_system_is_working.html

Apparently none. 

(09-18-2022, 02:42 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2022/09/16/fncs_heinrich_to_wh_do_you_think_the_current_immigration_system_is_working.html

Apparently none. 

So then you are admitting to not knowing what you're talking about and just parroting talking points from right-wing media.

Somebody has to do it.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - CJD - 09-19-2022

(09-16-2022, 07:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This pretty well sums up my thoughts.

Yep, this is how I feel as well. What DeSantis did to these migrants was repugnant and pathetic. You can "send a message" without treating human beings like vermin or garbage. Immigrants are not trash that you throw on your hated neighbor's lawn. They are people, often running from major problems in their own countries (problems that America has had a fairly large hand in causing over the years). They are looking for help, hospitality and aid and DeSantis spit in their faces.

I don't know what the solution is, but I know that it isn't what these Republicans are doing.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 09-19-2022

Hard to believe DeSantis would lie about all of this Ninja .

Harder to believe there is all kinds of proof he/his people lied.  Ninja Ninja

https://popular.info/p/the-smoking-gun-in-marthas-vineyard

Quote:[color=var(--print_on_web_bg_color, #1a1a1a)]The smoking gun in Martha's Vineyard
[/color]Judd Legum

5 hr ago

[/url]

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43...4x774.jpeg]

A group of migrants huddle on a sidewalk in Martha’s Vineyard, MA on September 15, 2022 (Photo by Jonathan Wiggs/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

Popular Information has obtained documentary evidence that migrants from Venezuela were provided with false information to convince them to board flights chartered by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis ®. The documents suggest that the flights were not just a callous political stunt but potentially a crime. 

Last Wednesday, two planes landed in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, and dropped off about 50 migrants from Venezuela. DeSantis quickly took credit. The migrants were used as political pawns in the hopes of provoking a negative reaction from a liberal community. 

"When people are brought to their front door, they go berserk," DeSantis said. "Their virtue signaling is a fraud." But the people in Martha's Vineyard did not go berserk. Instead, they rallied together to provide shelter, food, clothing, and other necessities for the group. On Friday, Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker ® facilitated their voluntary relocation to Joint Base Cape Cod, which is "a safe temporary accommodation appropriate for the specific needs of families and individuals." 

The charter flights appear to be inspired by a Tucker Carlson monologue from July 26, in which the notoriously xenophobic host suggested sending migrants to Martha's Vineyard in "huge numbers."  

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43...74x492.png]

DeSantis reportedly sent a videographer along for the ride, and Fox News obtained "exclusive footage of the migrants’ arrival." 

In the aftermath of the flights, a key issue of contention is whether the migrants boarded the flights freely and voluntarily. While DeSantis and his administration repeatedly referred to the migrants as "illegal immigrants," the migrants surrendered to immigration officials after crossing the border into Texas. They are now seeking asylum from the repressive authoritarian regime in Venezuela. The migrants are legally permitted to remain in the United States while their cases are being considered by immigration courts. 

So these migrants are able to voluntarily travel within the United States. But many of the migrants told reporters that they were misled about the nature of the flights. Several migrants told NPR they were told the flight was going to Boston, not Martha's Vineyard. According to the migrants, a woman who identified herself as Perla also said that, if they traveled to Boston, they could receive "expedited work papers."

The allegation that the migrants were misled is legally significant. It would mean that the flights were not just heartless, but potentially criminal. If the migrants were misled, the scheme to transport them to Martha's Vineyard could constitute fraud, false imprisonment, or kidnapping. "There is absolutely the possibility of both civil and criminal liability if people were lied to about where they were going [or]  what they were going to get when they got there," lawyer Susan Church told Politico

DeSantis has been adamant that the migrants were not misled. He claims that migrants were provided with a map showing the destination was Martha's Vineyard and describes the flights as "all voluntary." Appearing on Fox News on Sunday Morning, Florida Lt. Governor Jeanette Nunez ® called allegations that the migrants were misled "categorically false." 

Popular Information, however, has obtained a brochure that was provided to the migrants who ultimately agreed to the flights. It was provided to Popular Information by Lawyers for Civil Rights (LCR), a Boston-based legal organization that represents 30 of the migrants. The brochure says that migrants who arrive in Massachusetts will be eligible for numerous benefits, including "8 months cash assistance," "assistance with housing," "food," "clothing," "transportation to job interviews," "job training," "job placement," "registering children for school," "assistance applying for Social Security cards," and many other benefits. 

None of this, however, is true.

[img=905x1092]https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/w_1456,c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2f9c5fb9-c54a-404d-935e-e7a51ae27b8a_1600x1200.jpeg[/img]

Matt Cameron, a Boston-based immigration attorney, explained that the benefits described in the brochure are resettlement benefits available to refugees who have been referred by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and authorized to live in the United States. These benefits are not available in Massachusetts to the migrants who boarded the flights, who are still in the process of seeking asylum. 

The migrants who boarded the planes "absolutely do not have access to cash, housing, and other resettlement benefits which are provided through both federal funds and partnerships with faith-based [organizations]," Cameron said.  

The brochure, which is crudely designed to resemble a government document, does not explain that these benefits described are only available to specially designated refugees. 

[img=905x1092]https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/w_1456,c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fca8a63b2-65f0-4760-bc9d-2dc856c08dc5_1600x1200.jpeg[/img]

[url=https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fca8a63b2-65f0-4760-bc9d-2dc856c08dc5_1600x1200.jpeg]
According to some of the migrants, the benefits described in the brochure were also promised verbally by Perla to lure them onto the planes chartered by DeSantis. “[T]hey told us that they were going to help us with the rent, to get a job, that was the only option left to us,” one migrant, Eduardo Linares, told the Texas Tribune. (Linares ultimately declined to board the flight.) 

There could be real consequences for migrants who were convinced to board the flight under false pretenses. Seeking asylum is an "often years-long process through immigration courts that requires [migrants] to check in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement periodically." Some migrants now find themselves thousands of miles away from where they need to report for their next check-in. A missed appointment can "be detrimental to their case."

On Saturday, LCR  wrote to U.S. Attorney Rachael Rollins and Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, calling on them to open a formal investigation. "Individuals, working in concert with State officials, including the Florida Governor, made numerous false promises to LCR’s clients — including of work opportunities, schooling for their children, and immigration assistance — in order to induce them to travel," LCR said in the letter. "[T]hose who had induced our clients to travel under these false pretenses disappeared, leaving our clients to learn that the offers of assistance had all been a ruse to exploit them for political purposes."

DeSantis' office did not respond to a request for comment about the brochure. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 09-19-2022

Side note, why would DeSantis send women and children there?  Isn't he trying to push a narrative that these people coming here are young men who are rapey criminals to be feared?  Shouldn't he have transported like, an entire gang of criminals who would run out of the bus and just start burning lootin' raping and a shootin' like all those Vikings the neo cons like to identify with?

It just seems to lessen the impact when a 6 year old smiling girl walks out of the bus.  Wow...horror!  Lock the doors!  It's a little girl!

Also, if any of them were pregnant could DeSantis be prosecuted for helping to transport a pregnant woman to a state where she could possibly get an abortion?  This guy needs locked up.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Belsnickel - 09-19-2022

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BmorePat87 - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, why would DeSantis send women and children there?  Isn't he trying to push a narrative that these people coming here are young men who are rapey criminals to be feared?  Shouldn't he have transported like, an entire gang of criminals who would run out of the bus and just start burning lootin' raping and a shootin' like all those Vikings the neo cons like to identify with?

It just seems to lessen the impact when a 6 year old smiling girl walks out of the bus.  Wow...horror!  Lock the doors!  It's a little girl!

Also, if any of them were pregnant could DeSantis be prosecuted for helping to transport a pregnant woman to a state where she could possibly get an abortion?  This guy needs locked up.

Why would Republicans lock immigrant kids up and separate babies from mothers?

They see them as subhuman. There's a great doc called 9500 Liberty (circa 2007) that follows a DC suburb's local fight over immigration. They read comments from the local right-wing blog and the language they use for the kids is horrendous: saying they can be used as dog food, calling them parasites, "the usual suspects", "brown faces".