Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? (/Thread-Opinion-DeSantis-2024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - SunsetBengal - 04-07-2023

(04-07-2023, 03:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting.  I've heard assertions that Carter either kept his own personal religion out of the office of president, or that he was less than effective because he was too Christian and that helped Regan gained ground with the "what's in it for me?" aspects of modern Christianity.

Modern now, or 45 years ago?

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BengalYankee - 04-07-2023

(04-07-2023, 03:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting.  I've heard assertions that Carter either kept his own personal religion out of the office of president, or that he was less than effective because he was too Christian and that helped Regan gained ground with the "what's in it for me?" aspects of modern Christianity.

Carter was the most ethical and moral President in my lifetime. Not the best President in my lifetime, which unfortunately tells you what is needed to be an effective President.  Cry

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 04-07-2023

(04-07-2023, 03:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Modern now, or 45 years ago?

Well, Regan rubberbanded "Christianity" to "republican" but the 80s did have a lot of "prosperity gospel" stuff where people seemed to realize that a lot of Christianity's views on materialism and wealth were a downer, wouldn't resonate with a modern audience, and/or would make their leaders look like giant hypocrites, so they downplayed that stuff and upped the "god wants you to be a success" talk.

Being ultra wealthy was something to be lauded and a source of aspiration, and merely giving to the poor would actually hurt them by conditioning them to be long-term failures.

As I said, Reagan had a great one-two punch.  Elect me and success will follow....also, I just want to point out that if you aren't successful it's your fault, not mine.  Actually between Ford and Carter I'd say it was two terms of "that'll teach you to do the right thing...I think?" politics.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BigPapaKain - 04-07-2023

Man the religious right sure do like hurling insults. Just like Jesus says to do.

No wait...

I just realized this is the DeSantis 2024 thread. Man, that guy's popularity is sinking like a stone even here.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BigPapaKain - 04-07-2023

(04-07-2023, 03:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just realized this is the DeSantis 2024 thread.  Man, that guy's popularity is sinking like a stone even here.

He made his boat. Then decided to punch a bunch of holes in it. Honestly it's been pretty fun to watch, sans the ravenously dumb supporting his clearly fascist moves. Thankfully, they're out numbered by people with a lick of sense.

(04-07-2023, 03:56 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He made his boat. Then decided to punch a bunch of holes in it. Honestly it's been pretty fun to watch, sans the ravenously dumb supporting his clearly fascist moves. Thankfully, they're out numbered by people with a lick of sense.

I'd say it's quite the opposite.  I don't want him to be president, but I think if there were more sensible republican voters DeSantis would be the GOP nominee.  Alas, he's losing because Trump has found a way to convince the base that everything he does is awesome.  DeSantis is making Florida into a right wing paradise, but he's falling in the polls because Trump got arrested.  That's amusingly unfair to ol' Ronnie.

DeSantis could ban gayness and public schools and give everyone a gun and make Florida 100% Christian and Trump would just push and old lady down the stairs and his poll numbers would go up.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Dill - 04-08-2023

(04-07-2023, 03:56 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He made his boat. Then decided to punch a bunch of holes in it. Honestly it's been pretty fun to watch, sans the ravenously dumb supporting his clearly fascist moves. Thankfully, they're out numbered by people with a lick of sense.

You can't out Trump Trump unless you are prepared to go all the way beyond decent and normal, and then some.

DeSantis half-measures will not impress many beyond the Florida base.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Arturo Bandini - 04-12-2023

Fun fact: 16 Million new Gen Z’ers will be eligible to vote in 2024.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BigPapaKain - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 06:22 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Fun fact: 16 Million new Gen Z’ers will be eligible to vote in 2024.

About 5% of them will exercise it.

Call me cynical.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Arturo Bandini - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 07:01 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: About 5% of them will exercise it.

Call me cynical.

Still 800 000 People ! 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - pally - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 06:22 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Fun fact: 16 Million new Gen Z’ers will be eligible to vote in 2024.

and 6 million baby boomers are expected to die before then

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 04-17-2023

He's so petty.  Yet he's equally dumb* so all he does is shoot himself in the foot.

*He, like Trump, KNOWS they are smarter than everyone else and they will *win* in the end.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's so petty.  Yet he's equally dumb* so all he does is shoot himself in the foot.

If you would have told people 10 years ago that in 2023 a FL governor would be declaring war on the Disney Corporation, conservatives would have cried foul and ultra liberals would be at full mast.  Side note, in 2014 McDonalds put an end to the "girls or boys" happy meals.  If that would have happened today that could be another massive conglomerate that had become too woke to govern itself, as well.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - pally - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's so petty.  Yet he's equally dumb* so all he does is shoot himself in the foot.

*He, like Trump, KNOWS they are smarter than everyone else and they will *win* in the end.

The ultimate example of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".  I keep waiting for Disney to announce they are moving every non-park-related job out of Florida.  And how about moving their cruise docks out of Florida as well.  

For DeSantis to win nationally, he needs the votes of people like my sister who is a Republican who won't vote for Trump.  She has declared DeSantis a facist.  He is not off to a good start

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 05:43 PM)pally Wrote: The ultimate example of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".  I keep waiting for Disney to announce they are moving every non-park-related job out of Florida.  And how about moving their cruise docks out of Florida as well.  

For DeSantis to win nationally, he needs the votes of people like my sister who is a Republican who won't vote for Trump.  She has declared DeSantis a facist.  He is not off to a good start

DeSantis is in a tough spot at the moment.  He can run in 2024 and lose the primary to Trump, or win the primary and deal with Trump telling people he rigged it and/or run 3rd party, or he can wait until 2028 where Trump either wins in 2024 and has 4 years to finagle a way to not have to exit the White House, or if Trump loses in 2024 we will be right back in this same spot when Trump announces he's running in 2028 and he will have an additional 4 years to attack DeSantis.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - samhain - 04-17-2023

(04-17-2023, 05:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: DeSantis is in a tough spot at the moment.  He can run in 2024 and lose the primary to Trump, or win the primary and deal with Trump telling people he rigged it and/or run 3rd party, or he can wait until 2028 where Trump either wins in 2024 and has 4 years to finagle a way to not have to exit the White House, or if Trump loses in 2024 we will be right back in this same spot when Trump announces he's running in 2028 and he will have an additional 4 years to attack DeSantis.

I think He's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He could no doubt raise the money to fund a campaign, and he'd have a better chance in the general just by not being Trump.

His advantage in the general is his weakness in the primary.  He's definitely willing to take the culture war angle that the right loves, but that's not going to be effective vs Trump.  Trump also, despite his countless faults, has a weird charisma that DeSantis does not.  The guy's been a celebrity and TV star for most of his adult life.  Public performance is part of what got him where he is.  Trump is also completely without loyalty and has zero qualms about destroying anyone in his way, party be damned.  DeSantis can bully a lot of people in his home state, but Trump isn't one of them, and if the presidency is the goal, he's the only one that matters.  

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 04-18-2023

(04-17-2023, 06:56 PM)samhain Wrote: I think He's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He could no doubt raise the money to fund a campaign, and he'd have a better chance in the general just by not being Trump.

His advantage in the general is his weakness in the primary.  He's definitely willing to take the culture war angle that the right loves, but that's not going to be effective vs Trump.  Trump also, despite his countless faults, has a weird charisma that DeSantis does not.  The guy's been a celebrity and TV star for most of his adult life.  Public performance is part of what got him where he is.  Trump is also completely without loyalty and has zero qualms about destroying anyone in his way, party be damned.  DeSantis can bully a lot of people in his home state, but Trump isn't one of them, and if the presidency is the goal, he's the only one that matters.  

It seems like DeSantis and other republicans are in a battle for the time being where they have to be as unelectable to the general public as possible to win the primary and then attempt to scale things back in order to win a bi-partisan election.  We can talk about how both sides are stuck in echo chambers and feedback loops, but at the moment only one side insists on running candidates who promote policies that 60%+ of americans exuberantly do NOT support and then believe that the only way they can lose is if the other side cheats. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 04-18-2023

(04-17-2023, 05:43 PM)pally Wrote: The ultimate example of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".  I keep waiting for Disney to announce they are moving every non-park-related job out of Florida.  And how about moving their cruise docks out of Florida as well.  

Socratically speaking, DeSantis admitting a red state needs another prison to be built is a bit of a gaffe given the talking points that crime is for blue areas.  Hell, his whole notion that he'd win a war against Disney and their army of lawyers smacks of Putin thinking he'd be lauded for liberating Ukraine in 3 days.  The GOP's obsession with arrogant and cruel men has me wondering if their voter base is really a bunch of teen girls and not old white dudes.  Oooh he's so baaaaaaad but he's fighting for me!

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 04-21-2023

He's just not good at this.