Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Entertainment (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Entertainment)
+--- Thread: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** (/Thread-Walking-Dead-Thread-SPOILERS)

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Au165 - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 04:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: So is Maggie...and that doesn't bother me one iota!

I don't really hear anything when she talks.....so never noticed or cared.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - GMDino - 10-25-2016

(10-23-2016, 11:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So they killed two guys who are already dead at this point.

Show Rick is still only a fraction of the character that Comics Rick is.

People are like "oh my god, this is so crazy, I can't believe it." Yea, this happened basically exactly as it did in the comics 4.5 years ago. The only difference is Abraham's death was given to a rando character and then he shared Glenn's death.

I usually don't read the comics until after the show...just to see how true they stay to it.

This summer I read the entire Nagan arc up until...after everything goes down. So I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy the show as much.  But I loved that first episode.

Plus they DO deviate enough to keep it interesting.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - GMDino - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 04:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't really hear anything when she talks.....so never noticed or cared.

I can fully understand that too!

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - XenoMorph - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 02:37 PM)Griever Wrote: 2 people*

2nd person is on Daryl  After Negan gave them a warning he was probly gonna stop after 1 but daryl acted out and glenn got a date with the vampire bat.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Griever - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 2nd person is on Daryl  After Negan gave them a warning he was probly gonna stop after 1 but daryl acted out and glenn got a date with the vampire bat.

semantics

but i get what you are saying

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - BmorePat87 - 10-25-2016

(10-25-2016, 02:37 PM)Griever Wrote: 2 people*

Well, one for Rick killing his people and one for Daryl breaking the rules.

He's big on rules.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - WeezyBengal - 10-25-2016

I bet Maggie isnt too happy with Daryl...

(10-25-2016, 03:18 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's what makes Megan such a great "villain." He's not inherently evil or anything. If the series followed Megan from day 1 instead of Rick, there's just as much a chance that the audience would see Rick and his gang as the villains instead. I look forward to JDM's interpretation of the character even if his language is a little less....colorful.

Yea, Negan is really lawful neutral leaning towards lawful evil where as the Governor was chaotic evil. People keep saying way worse than the Governor" but a lot of that has to do with him killing Glenn.

He's fair, he wants order, he doesn't kill unless it is to make a point or better his own group, he doesn't like rape, and we'd rather a group work for him in than be wiped out. He thinks his survival is dependent on a strong community with lots of rules, so he does that. The Governor cut off Rick's hand within minutes of meeting him just cause and then raped Michonne brutally and repeatedly. They just wandered into Woodbury and were friendly. 

(10-25-2016, 04:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't get a chance to read each post, but I totally agreed with this.

As to who got it, before the show I said:

Abraham should have been dead by now.
Glenn was the obvious choice.

I also had guessed Daryl since no one knows where his storyline might/could go.  And since he's property of Nagan now I'm good with that.

(10-25-2016, 04:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: I usually don't read the comics until after the show...just to see how true they stay to it.

This summer I read the entire Nagan arc up until...after everything goes down. So I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy the show as much.  But I loved that first episode.

Plus they DO deviate enough to keep it interesting.

Speaking of deviating, I think taking Daryl to the Sanctuary was a good move for the show. Keep him with the Saviors, it'll play out well.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - XenoMorph - 10-26-2016

(10-25-2016, 05:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Speaking of deviating, I think taking Daryl to the Sanctuary was a good move for the show. Keep him with the Saviors, it'll play out well.

I like it cause it gives us a pov inside the Saviors  and Daryl really is the best fit for that role...  (was this done in the comics with a different character?)

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Bengalzona - 10-26-2016

(10-25-2016, 02:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Negan is weird and brutal, but he's not sadistic like the Governor. The Governor would rape and torture. Negan is actually pretty reasonable when you consider he only killed one of Rick's people despite having a whole host of his group killed. He believes in order. 

(10-25-2016, 03:18 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's what makes Megan such a great "villain." He's not inherently evil or anything. If the series followed Megan from day 1 instead of Rick, there's just as much a chance that the audience would see Rick and his gang as the villains instead. I look forward to JDM's interpretation of the character even if his language is a little less....colorful.

(10-25-2016, 05:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, Negan is really lawful neutral leaning towards lawful evil where as the Governor was chaotic evil. People keep saying way worse than the Governor" but a lot of that has to do with him killing Glenn.

He's fair, he wants order, he doesn't kill unless it is to make a point or better his own group, he doesn't like rape, and we'd rather a group work for him in than be wiped out. He thinks his survival is dependent on a strong community with lots of rules, so he does that. The Governor cut off Rick's hand within minutes of meeting him just cause and then raped Michonne brutally and repeatedly. They just wandered into Woodbury and were friendly. 

While I agree on the D&D-based ratings of the Governor as Chaotic Evil and Negan as more Lawful, I'd have to say that his "Evil tendency" is more than just a tendency. Terrorizing people and cracking jokes before you finally steamroll two of their brains qualifies as evil in my book. This behavior is along the lines of a parent who beats their kid to a pulp because they 'broke the rules' (i.e. it goes a little above and beyond). That's not neutral. A Neutral person takes a gun or knife and executes the person with just a simple explanation why and no dark-humor monologue.

That said, the fact that I see him as Evil rather than neutral doesn't mean he isn't a good villain. In fact, it makes him a better villain IMO.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Benton - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 12:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: While I agree on the D&D-based ratings of the Governor as Chaotic Evil and Negan as more Lawful, I'd have to say that his "Evil tendency" is more than just a tendency. Terrorizing people and cracking jokes before you finally steamroll two of their brains qualifies as evil in my book. This behavior is along the lines of a parent who beats their kid to a pulp because they 'broke the rules' (i.e. it goes a little above and beyond). That's not neutral. A Neutral person takes a gun or knife and executes the person with just a simple explanation why and no dark-humor monologue.

That said, the fact that I see him as Evil rather than neutral doesn't mean he isn't a good villain. In fact, it makes him a better villain IMO.

Keeping with the D&D theme, Negan would fall in the more Lawful Evil, but I think the head smashing falls more on the Lawful than the Evil.

Rick and the group killed, what, a dozen of Negan's people? Add in another 6ish that got hit with a rocket launcher. Negan responded with just killing one of Rick's people as an introduction to the norms of Negan society (you work, you produce, you don't kill each other, you act civil). When someone broke one of the "laws" then Negan killed someone else (Glenn). 

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - BmorePat87 - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 12:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: While I agree on the D&D-based ratings of the Governor as Chaotic Evil and Negan as more Lawful, I'd have to say that his "Evil tendency" is more than just a tendency. Terrorizing people and cracking jokes before you finally steamroll two of their brains qualifies as evil in my book. This behavior is along the lines of a parent who beats their kid to a pulp because they 'broke the rules' (i.e. it goes a little above and beyond). That's not neutral. A Neutral person takes a gun or knife and executes the person with just a simple explanation why and no dark-humor monologue.

(10-26-2016, 12:33 PM)Benton Wrote: Keeping with the D&D theme, Negan would fall in the more Lawful Evil, but I think the head smashing falls more on the Lawful than the Evil.

Rick and the group killed, what, a dozen of Negan's people? Add in another 6ish that got hit with a rocket launcher. Negan responded with just killing one of Rick's people as an introduction to the norms of Negan society (you work, you produce, you don't kill each other, you act civil). When someone broke one of the "laws" then Negan killed someone else (Glenn). 

Negan is completely emotionless because of an event in his past that I won't spoil in case the show mentions it (from his backstory that was published in 6 small parts in a side comic magazine). A lot of that plays into his whole "Do whatever to survive and follow rules to survive" mentality. 

That's why I said neutral leaning towards evil. He still has a rhyme and reason. He will kill for the good of the order, but he is against other crimes. He has a personal code of conduct with women who are not enemies. He's soft on Carl (he thinks Carl is pretty cool). But, yea, he has no qualms with laughing about killing people. 

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - BmorePat87 - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I like it cause it gives us a pov inside the Saviors  and Daryl really is the best fit for that role...  (was this done in the comics with a different character?)

Yes. I'll elaborate below (doesn't spoil much)

Carl sneaks aboard a Negan transport with Abraham's machine gun. When they go to unload the transport at the Sanctuary, he fires at them (can't control the gun too well) but kills a few before he drops the gun. Negan has some respect for him after that, shows him around the place, we get a view of Negan's  wives (yes, plural), how he dispenses with justice, and the day to day of the average Savior who isn't muscle. 

He eventually takes Carl back and gets pissed when Rick doesn't realize that he isn't a complete dick "I just brought your son back unharmed as a sign of good faith after he snuck aboard and killed my men")

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Bengalzona - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 01:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Negan is completely emotionless because of an event in his past that I won't spoil in case the show mentions it (from his backstory that was published in 6 small parts in a side comic magazine). A lot of that plays into his whole "Do whatever to survive and follow rules to survive" mentality. 

That's why I said neutral leaning towards evil. He still has a rhyme and reason. He will kill for the good of the order, but he is against other crimes. He has a personal code of conduct with women who are not enemies. He's soft on Carl (he thinks Carl is pretty cool). But, yea, he has no qualms with laughing about killing people. 

From the initial portrayal in the TV show, it's gonna be a bit hard to build any sympathy behind his character.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - rfaulk34 - 10-27-2016

(10-24-2016, 04:05 AM)Housh Wrote: This thread is horrible

Sometimes you gotta just enjoy the show. Definitely will never open this thread again. And that's only after reading 2 pages

Y'all ain't gotta micro analyze everything.

(10-24-2016, 10:21 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Everyone is a ***** critic.  You literally cannot please anyone when it comes to this show.  All I see are complaints about it, yet somehow, it's still the highest rated show on television.  I don't get it.

I'm hip. For some reason, i keep coming back to check the thread out, only to ask myself why i even bother. 

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - XenoMorph - 10-28-2016

(10-27-2016, 01:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm hip. For some reason, i keep coming back to check the thread out, only to ask myself why i even bother. 

just ignore the bitching by the lame-o's and contribute to the discussion

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - BigPapaKain - 10-31-2016

Last night's episode was so boring compared to last week. Like cool, it's good to see the King finally. But ugh, what a waste.

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Benton - 10-31-2016

(10-31-2016, 09:48 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Last night's episode was so boring compared to last week. Like cool, it's good to see the King finally. But ugh, what a waste.

I liked it. Not much in action, but Carol's one of the few interesting characters left, and Ezekiel was pretty entertaining. Honestly, was 100 times better than what I was expecting (I thought this week was going to be 45 minutes of mopey Rick).

RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - Au165 - 10-31-2016

(10-31-2016, 09:48 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Last night's episode was so boring compared to last week. Like cool, it's good to see the King finally. But ugh, what a waste.

You have to set it up for people who don't read comics. This is the eternal struggle of the show writers. Series that try to go all action without back stories don't develop characters and their show dies. The same reason that many people hate the show (for these back story episodes) is why it really has had the staying power beyond a lot of other shows.

I have not read the comics, so understanding who he is and what their situation is was interesting. I think for a lot of people who are used to the "binge" watching we have become accustomed to it is tough to wait a week for an episode and it all not be immediately relevant. If this was a Netflix series most wouldn't care because they would go straight into the next episode.