Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** (/Thread-Official-2021-NFL-Draft-Thread)

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Au165 - 04-30-2021

One thing I think that bodes well for getting one of the top OL here at 38 is the potential to get a 3-year starter. Jenkins/Cosmi/Eichenburg/Humphrey were all three-year starters and I wonder if that is something Pollock and company valued over guys like Sewell/Slater who opted out at a position where getting reps is really important. Pollock is more of an "old school" guy may have not appreciated guys who didn't want to compete this past year, and who didn't have a ton of tape to see how well they progressed year to year.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - shanebo - 04-30-2021

Lots of tempting d on the board besides barmore - ojulari, kid from ND, Basham - could see them going with one of those guys.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - shanebo - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 08:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: One thing I think that bodes well for getting one of the top OL here at 38 is the potential to get a 3-year starter. Jenkins/Cosmi/Eichenburg/Humphrey were all three-year starters and I wonder if that is something Pollock and company valued over guys like Sewell/Slater who opted out at a position where getting reps is really important. Pollock is more of an "old school" guy may have not appreciated guys who didn't want to compete this past year, and who didn't have a ton of tape to see how well they progressed year to year.

Fingers crossed this is what they do. 

(04-30-2021, 08:23 AM)shanebo Wrote: Lots of tempting d on the board besides barmore - ojulari, kid from ND, Basham  - could see them going with one of those guys.

Ojulari's knee got red-flagged for medical which explains why he has dropped. That is one where I wait to the back of the 2nd and if he keeps falling I come up from the 3rd for him I think.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Goalpost - 04-30-2021

I think I'm Jenkins, Eichenberg, or Mayfield on this pick. Some good choices available in other areas though.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 08:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nah, Williams is another guy people are searching out to find the interior DL we are used to seeing but his athleticism just never matched the tape to me. I think they are both 3rd rounders, but if they wanted to go that route I am trading back from 38 into the mid to late 2nd and picking up another 3rd.

I'm on the Daviyon Nixon train and I even have him as a low 2 high 3 that someone might reach for mid 2nd because of a weak class.

If Nixon stayed in school 1 more year and added some muscle to his frame he could have gone top 15 with a full year of Big10 stats similar to what he's produced over the last 2 years. Nixon was also playing slightly out of position as the 1T

(04-30-2021, 08:43 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm on the Daviyon Nixon train and I even have him as a low 2 high 3 that someone might reach for mid 2nd because of a weak class.

If Nixon stayed in school 1 more year and added some muscle to his frame he could have gone top 15 with a full year of Big10 stats similar to what he's predicted over rhe last 2 years. Nixon was also playing slightly out of position as the shade 1.

I actually think DT in the 3rd makes sense because there are some really good guys there that I think are all kind of similar to me. I like Onwuzurike but would be okay with Nixon, McNeil, or Williams in the 3rd.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - SladeX - 04-30-2021

(04-29-2021, 09:15 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Can that D Bag Goodell stretch this out some more?

(04-30-2021, 02:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly. I'm not mad over the Chase pick, cause honestly, who didn't see it coming with the boobs in the FO? The only "anger" I have is the fact that our oline has been dogshit for 4-5 years. You've put a bandaid on RT, two meh to shitty guys at G, and a huge question at C. WTF? I'm tired of kicking that can down the road. You had a need all over the OL, and the talent lined up there at 5 AND in the 2nd rd. Now we gotta hope Jonah can play 16, and Reiff has found Ponce De Leon's fountain, and two trolls under the bridge magically turn to NFL starter quality guards under the wizardry of Frank Pollack. I'm not exactly sold on any of that....lol.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Beaker - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 02:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: Saying the Bengals do ANYTHING right is hardly settling ANY debate lmfao.

Well, they certainly did the right thing this time. Several plug and play O linemen have fallen into the second where we can now address that problem also. Chase was a great pick.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 03:31 AM)Yogo Wrote: I'm gonna be pissed if the Lions and Jets do better than us next year when we've supposedly had a gifted headstart and we chose to build outside in rather than how they built inside out.  That is my litmus test of whether we bettered the team or are just doomed to repeat the same ole same ole.

I think this is a fallacy in thinking.

Last year there was an absolute need to draft Burrow at QB and Higgins at WR with picks 1 and 2. This year, we know Chase was pick 1. The Bengals could very well add multiple OL before this draft ends; therefore, they would be building from the inside out while also addressing other needs. The round a player is picked doesn't equate to an inside out or outside in strategy.

The other harsh reality is this team has so many positional needs that the '21 draft alone isn't going to fix it. Now, if the '21 draft ends and no OL are picked, then you might be onto something. 

(04-30-2021, 09:47 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think this is a fallacy in thinking.

Last year there was an absolute need to draft Burrow at QB and Higgins at WR with picks 1 and 2. This year, we know Chase was pick 1. The Bengals could very well add multiple OL before this draft ends; therefore, they would be building from the inside out while also addressing other needs. The round a player is picked doesn't equate to an inside out or outside in strategy.

The other harsh reality is this teams has so many positional needs that the '21 draft alone isn't going to fix it. Now, if the '21 draft ends and no OL are picked, then you might be onto something. 

Green Bay had one of the best lines in football last year their guys were picked in the 4th, 3rd, 5th, Undrafted, 5th (bonus: their swing guy was a 3rd). You get your guys wherever they are, you don't have to take them all in the 1st to be good. 

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 08:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: One thing I think that bodes well for getting one of the top OL here at 38 is the potential to get a 3-year starter. Jenkins/Cosmi/Eichenburg/Humphrey were all three-year starters and I wonder if that is something Pollock and company valued over guys like Sewell/Slater who opted out at a position where getting reps is really important. Pollock is more of an "old school" guy may have not appreciated guys who didn't want to compete this past year, and who didn't have a ton of tape to see how well they progressed year to year.

Interesting point I had not considered, the Bengals very well might be more excited about the second round OL who have more reps and playing experience than the opt outs like Sewell and Slater. Maybe they saw some refined and polished technique that convinces them some of these guys can start in the NFL now.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - CJD - 04-30-2021

My list of wanted players at 38:
1. Teven Jenkins
2. Sam Cosmi
3. Creed Humphrey
4. Landon Dickerson
5. Dillon Radunz
6. Christian Barmore
7. Azeez Ojulari
8. Carlos Basham Jr
9. Liam Eichenberg
10. Walker Little

I feel pretty good about this draft so far.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - psychdoctor - 04-30-2021

I posted this somewhere else, but Mayfield can play g/ot and seems like a Bengal type of pick. I fear they will pick defense at #38 like JOK, Barmore, Williams, Perkins, Bash. I don't think Jenkins makes it to Bengals #38.

If they go OL, and with Jenkins gone, Mayfield would be my guess ATM.

Mayfield has played against some stiff competition, and had a better year in 2020 but he is an enigma because I feel has been inconsistent.

A lot of players OL are power gap schemes. I am a little worried about schematic fit. Trust in Pollack I guess.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - tBengal - 04-30-2021

Dehner has me fired up this morning on the radio

Burrow
Boyd
Higgins
Mixon
Chase

All are under contract for atleast the next 3 years.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 04-30-2021

Perhaps a dumb question, but can someone give me a breakdown on how we ended up with the 6th pick (instead of the 5th) in round 2?

I'm looking at the draft order on a couple of sites and even with the trades listed I can't make sense of it. It's like there's an extra pick in there.

PS I have a feeling this answer is going to be really obvious and I'm going to feel like a dolt when I hear it.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - ElkValleyBengal - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 12:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Perhaps a dumb question, but can someone give me a breakdown on how we ended up with the 6th pick (instead of the 5th) in round 2?

I'm looking at the draft order on a couple of sites and even with the trades listed I can't make sense of it.  It's like there's an extra pick in there.

PS I have a feeling this answer is going to be really obvious and I'm going to feel like a dolt when I hear it.

Cincy and Philly had the same record, so they'll alternate between the 5th and 6th pick of each round.

I'm hoping Dickerson is the pick, assuming they're okay with him medically.  

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Whatever - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 09:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Interesting point I had not considered, the Bengals very well might be more excited about the second round OL who have more reps and playing experience than the opt outs like Sewell and Slater. Maybe they saw some refined and polished technique that convinces them some of these guys can start in the NFL now.

Taylor said something in passing about the opt out OL being harder to evaluate than the skill guys.  That could have played a factor.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Cicero - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 02:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right ...and no NFL caliber WR has DEFINITELY  ever been taken after round 1. Oh.....wait.....

Yeah WR have fallen in the past so what? We even got Chad Johnson in round 2. Finding that caliber of receiver in the 2nd round is luck more than anything else. Quality offensive lineman regularly come out of round 2 or 3. WE need interior line help. Sewell is not an interior lineman and comes from one of the softest conferences in the NCAA after a year and a half out of football. He would likely have played a different position than his natural one in the AFCN where defensive lineman will eat you alive as it is. The facts just don't fit your agenda here. That's not the Bengals fault.    

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - mikey6866 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 08:43 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm on the Daviyon Nixon train and I even have him as a low 2 high 3 that someone might reach for mid 2nd because of a weak class.

If Nixon stayed in school 1 more year and added some muscle to his frame he could have gone top 15 with a full year of Big10 stats similar to what he's produced over the last 2 years. Nixon was also playing slightly out of position as the 1T

I love nixon and twyman a little later.  I think the bengals will take williams in the 3rd if he's there though.  Don't think he will be an option in 2.  They know they have to oline there and we got radunz, dickerson and meinerz as top options hopefully.