Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** (/Thread-Official-2021-NFL-Draft-Thread)

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - psychdoctor - 04-30-2021

I am hearing Jenkins has medical with hip. Anyone verify?

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Yogo - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 09:47 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think this is a fallacy in thinking.

Last year there was an absolute need to draft Burrow at QB and Higgins at WR with picks 1 and 2. This year, we know Chase was pick 1. The Bengals could very well add multiple OL before this draft ends; therefore, they would be building from the inside out while also addressing other needs. The round a player is picked doesn't equate to an inside out or outside in strategy.

The other harsh reality is this team has so many positional needs that the '21 draft alone isn't going to fix it. Now, if the '21 draft ends and no OL are picked, then you might be onto something. 

It sounds like you think it's garunteed that a 2nd round OL and beyond is a shoe-in to start over XSF, Price, and Spain.  It would've been more garunteed if it was the best OL in the draft.  This team needs insta-starters in this high need patchwork OL, not a slow development small upgrade.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - JerseyDD09 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 09:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My list of wanted players at 38:
1. Teven Jenkins
2. Sam Cosmi
3. Creed Humphrey
4. Landon Dickerson
5. Dillon Radunz
6. Christian Barmore
7. Azeez Ojulari
8. Carlos Basham Jr
9. Liam Eichenberg
10. Walker Little

I feel pretty good about this draft so far.

That's pretty funny. Some analysts said don't be surprised if Walker Little sneaks into the bottom of the 1st. And, he's the last guy on your list. So, we'll see how this turns out. I think there's so many there, they can afford to trade down and get an extra pick or two if it presents itself. 
 But, I also do want them to take Jenkins out of that group as he has a big frame, can play both T's or move inside and he's a mauler at attack. 

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 01:15 PM)Yogo Wrote: It sounds like you think it's garunteed that a 2nd round OL and beyond is a shoe-in to start over XSF, Price, and Spain.  It would've been more garunteed if it was the best OL in the draft.  This team needs insta-starters in this high need patchwork OL, not a slow development small upgrade.

Nah, I just recognize all the media, analysists, scouts, coaches, etc. that talk about this draft believe there is value to be held in round 2 and 3 for OL. It doesn't mean they are guaranteed starters or conversely a development player. All the info shared though suggests there are experienced players who can insta-start on the OL as rookies.

This team needs insta-starters in many positions. One first round pick wasn't fixing all roster problems. It's too early to gripe about passing on Sewell until after the draft is over. They might still draft a player who can start this upcoming season.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-30-2021

Just have to say after taking Chase and all the OL that are available I think we definitely made the right pick at 5....

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - PikesPeakUC - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just have to say after taking Chase and all the OL that are available I think we definitely made the right pick at 5....

That was my thinking. I wasn't Team Sewell or Chase at any point, I just wanted to have a really good, value based draft and get the best players available. The way it fell has worked out in our favor, I think.

I just don't have the energy to get mad about a draft pick at this point. We're better than we were the day before the draft and I think that will continue today. Obviously I think we should grab an offensive lineman tonight, but I'm not going to get angry about it. Either way, good draft or not, I'm just going to try and make the best of it and root for this team.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 09:47 AM)Beaker Wrote: Well, they certainly did the right thing this time. Several plug and play O linemen have fallen into the second where we can now address that problem also. Chase was a great pick.

....yes, but my point still stands. LOL

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Hammerstripes - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 12:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: Taylor said something in passing about the opt out OL being harder to evaluate than the skill guys.  That could have played a factor.

Quite honestly, linemen are a hard evaluation for this front office.  They've really only hit on one, and he was the first guy off the board.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 03:53 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: That was my thinking. I wasn't Team Sewell or Chase at any point, I just wanted to have a really good, value based draft and get the best players available. The way it fell has worked out in our favor, I think.

I just don't have the energy to get mad about a draft pick at this point. We're better than we were the day before the draft and I think that will continue today. Obviously I think we should grab an offensive lineman tonight, but I'm not going to get angry about it. Either way, good draft or not, I'm just going to try and make the best of it and root for this team.

Feel the same, plus you have to look at the Draft as a whole and not judge it till it is over.

We very well could have the OL shored up along with the DL while adding that can't cover WR for Burrow.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Benton - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 10:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I posted this somewhere else, but Mayfield can play g/ot and seems like a Bengal type of pick.  I fear they will pick defense at #38 like JOK, Barmore, Williams, Perkins, Bash.  I don't think Jenkins makes it to Bengals #38.  

If they go OL, and with Jenkins gone, Mayfield would be my guess ATM.  

Mayfield has played against some stiff competition, and had a better year in 2020 but he is an enigma because I feel has been inconsistent.

A lot of players OL are power gap schemes.  I am a little worried about schematic fit.  Trust in Pollack I guess.

I'm 50/50 on the Bengals not taking ol in the second.

It makes more sense with the chase pick if they didn't take a top tackle because they think they're set at tackle. If they don't think they need one, they aren't taking one in the second, either. And we don't typically draft guards with a high second.

I would not be shocked to see a defensive player go there and we pick up a project for t around the third round.

(04-30-2021, 04:08 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm 50/50 on the Bengals not taking ol in the second.

It makes more sense with the chase pick if they didn't take a top tackle because they think they're set at tackle. If they don't think they need one, they aren't taking one in the second, either. And we don't typically draft guards with a high second.

I would not be shocked to see a defensive player go there and we pick up a project for t around the third round.

You have to prepare for it. I think if we go OL in the 2nd he has to be versatile and be able to play Guard or Tackle.

But Center is also a need, Creed Humphrey I doubt is around in the 3rd, take him at 38 is my call or one of the other 
good OL to be had. Eichenberg can play Guard and Tackle, same with Carman. Meinerz can play Guard or Center etc.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - BengalFanInCanada - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 04:08 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm 50/50 on the Bengals not taking ol in the second.

They didn’t take a top tackle because they have multiple needs and Chase was  the BPA and a huge need.

The need for a tackle is still there.

(04-30-2021, 05:05 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: They didn’t take a top tackle because they have multiple needs and Chase was  the BPA and a huge need.

The need for a tackle is still there.

And Guard.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - CJD - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 01:21 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: That's pretty funny. Some analysts said don't be surprised if Walker Little sneaks into the bottom of the 1st. And, he's the last guy on your list. So, we'll see how this turns out. I think there's so many there, they can afford to trade down and get an extra pick or two if it presents itself. 
 But, I also do want them to take Jenkins out of that group as he has a big frame, can play both T's or move inside and he's a mauler at attack. 

I don't doubt Little's talent at all. He was highly recruited out of High School and, in his first two years in school, he looked like a rising star. Some were even calling him a top 10 pick in the 2020 draft if he chose to declare (he decided to go back to college for 1 more year). Then he opted out due to COVID. 

But now we haven't seen him play in nearly two years so the risk is elevated. Did he stay in shape over those two years? Did he continue to progress? He was really good in 2018 but the idea was he'd progress into an elite tackle in 2019 and 2020. We hadn't actually seen it happen yet.

There's a good chance you take him in the 2nd or 3rd round and he plays like a top 10 pick because that's where his talent level is. But here's also a chance that he is rusty, out of shape, just doesn't have it anymore and/or is injury prone and ineffective.

He's the definition of high risk, high reward at LT.

I also downgraded him because he's 6'7", so you basically can't start him at guard. Tall guards get leveraged to hell and back (see Fred Johnson when they put him at guard), so he's basically a tackle only prospect.

You could draft him and play him at RT and move Reiff to RG but then...what if he is ineffective, as the risk would be with a guy who hasn't played in two years? Then you have a sub par RT and then what if Reiff isn't as good at RG as you would expect? All the talk of moving him inside is mostly theoretical as he hasn't played guard since college, if I'm not mistaken.

So taking him at 38 could make your right side amazing at both RG and RT or it could make it completely ineffective.

It's hard to be sure, which is why I list him 10th. I'd honestly prefer we take him in the 3rd round if he were available as the risk feels more worth it later in the draft but, if the top 9 are all unavailable (in the case that we trade back) I do see the value in drafting Little and seeing how he does at RT.

(04-30-2021, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just have to say after taking Chase and all the OL that are available I think we definitely made the right pick at 5....

I still think Sewell would have been the better pick because you now MUST take Oline in the 2nd, which sucks if someone like Ojulari or Onwuzurike falls to 38. If you took Sewell, you could nab that pass rusher and then take a look at Dyami Brown or Amon-Ra St Brown in the 3rd. But because we took Chase, we will have to take whoever is left on Oline no matter what pass rushers fall to 38.

With that said, there are a few premium offensive linemen left and if we do land Jenkins at 38 somehow, that will be a really exciting top 2 picks. We still need to make it through 5 picks before we get our shot though. A lot could change in those 5 picks ahead of us haha.

We'll see how the full two rounds play out before I can say what choice was better, but the outlook is better than I expected.

(04-30-2021, 05:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I still think Sewell would have been the better pick because you now MUST take Oline in the 2nd, which sucks if someone like Ojulari or Onwuzurike falls to 38. If you took Sewell, you could nab that pass rusher and then take a look at Dyami Brown or Amon-Ra St Brown in the 3rd. But because we took Chase, we will have to take whoever is left on Oline no matter what pass rushers fall to 38.

With that said, there are a few premium offensive linemen left and if we do land Jenkins at 38 somehow, that will be a really exciting top 2 picks. We still need to make it through 5 picks before we get our shot though. A lot could change in those 5 picks ahead of us haha.

We'll see how the full two rounds play out before I can say what choice was better, but the outlook is better than I expected.

Yeah, everyone knows we need OL so there might be some teams trading in front of us. This is the downfall of the Chase
pick, not the pick itself. But out of Humphrey, Carman, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Dickerson, your man Jenkins one of them will 
fall to us and who knows if we trade up for one of them. With only 5 picks in front of us and not all of them picking OL we
should be fine IMO. But yeah, I will be a bit ticked if we don't go OL in the 2nd that is for sure.

(04-30-2021, 05:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, everyone knows we need OL so there might be some teams trading in front of us. This is the downfall of the Chase
pick, not the pick itself. But out of Humphrey, Carman, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Dickerson, your man Jenkins one of them will 
fall to us and who knows if we trade up for one of them. With only 5 picks in front of us and not all of them picking OL we
should be fine IMO. But yeah, I will be a bit ticked if we don't go OL in the 2nd that is for sure.

Yea, the board really fell in our favor. I'd love to have Cosmi, Humphrey, Jenkins or Dickerson (assuming his medicals check out) on this team. Eichenberg is lower on my wish list just because he is tall like a tackle (height is a negative at guard once you reach 6'6" 6'7") but has little T-Rex arms, so I don't know where he actually fits on the line, but if we took him at 38 I wouldn't be upset, assuming the team knows what they want to do with him. 

Carman was a guy I thought was firmly entrenched as a 3rd round pick as there are questions about his ability to play tackle, but he's gained some steam in the 2nd round over the last week or two so maybe that wouldn't be a terrible pick haha.

The point is we'd be hard pressed to **** this pick up haha.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - G man - 04-30-2021

New member here. Bengals fan in England.

I was always team chase but knew deep down that Sewell was sensible choice. But after we have taken Chase the rest of round 1 went better than any of us could have hoped for.

I think even team Sewell may have changed their minds if they had hindsight of how the rest of round would play out.

I like eichenberg or Cosmi in this round and double dip in R3. Probably a long shot but would love meinerz in R3 of he is still there

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - Synric - 04-30-2021

If the Bengals draft any other position besides an offensive linemen in the 2nd round Bengals Fans are going to collectively s**t a brick.

RE: ***Official 2021 NFL Draft Thread*** - ochocincos - 04-30-2021

Tonight's picks will be what makes this a good draft or not.
Chase is a good pick, but he can't be the only good pick for this to be a successful draft.
You can't count on any Day 3 pick being an immediate contributor this year aside from ST.