Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

Will we regret the Chase pick? - BenZoo2 - 08-12-2021

(08-11-2021, 10:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg]

Not even 1?

Maybe reading through this thread and some of the asshats in it. Not you of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 02:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya, but for the first time in what seems to be ages, it appears the defense is going to be pretty solid and they may be able to play (as Lapham sometimes refers to it) complementary football.  This is where the defense gives the offense an extra possession or two by forcing a turnover or a 3 and out.  

That combination is what gives me so much optimism for the offense.   I think the lineup of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins as the WRs, Uzo as the TE, and Mixon as the single back will be a pretty high-powered machine.  

Loving the great competition, breeds greatness. Cool

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 08-12-2021

(08-11-2021, 11:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: does it though? I dont think you can say that with confidence

The talk leading up was OL1/WR2 or WR1/OL2. I feel very confident that if they went Oline in 1 they def go WR in 2.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While I disagee with the statement Sewell would have fixed everything, I also disagree with the depth being the same. What if they go with Sewell, Carman, Ossai, and then get a WR in 4? Sure we have a different depth at some position, maybe they don't take Smith then in 4, we really don't know what would have happened next. 

And of course... none of it really matters, since we didn't draft Sewell. Just have to hope the line improves enough to give Burrow time. 

The WR pool would have been decent to good but pretty thin on playmakers if they pass on it in rds 1 and two. 

This is the Bengals. With what they had and how confident they were in them, there's no way they go Oline 2 straight rounds after picking up Reiff and targeting guys (which they always do) later in the draft. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Whatever - 08-13-2021

(08-12-2021, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The WR pool would have been decent to good but pretty thin on playmakers if they pass on it in rds 1 and two. 

This is the Bengals. With what they had and how confident they were in them, there's no way they go Oline 2 straight rounds after picking up Reiff and targeting guys (which they always do) later in the draft. 

I don't think they would have ever signed Reiff if Sewell was their target.  If they weren't going to pay Zeitler $7 mil a year to play G, why would they pay Reiff that and try to move him to G?  Likely, they would have held onto Hart until at least the draft as insurance if they were going Sewell.  

The Bengals were never going to wait until Day 3 to get an X WR.  The class was thin at X and they needed an immediate starter.  My guess is they would have gone Marshall in 2.  With a lot of teams having late 1st round grades on him at least until the injury stuff broke, it would not be hard to see the team not feeling comfortable trading down.  They likely still would have gone Ossai in 3 due to value intersecting with need and passed on Sample in 4 and maybe addressing DT with Shelvin or another player.  

The argument about depth is a little silly, IMO.  We don't really know what else the Bengals would or wouldn't have done if they took Sewell, so it's impossible to argue that the depth would be better or worse.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TheLeonardLeap - 08-13-2021

(08-12-2021, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The WR pool would have been decent to good but pretty thin on playmakers if they pass on it in rds 1 and two. 

It is what it is now... but my favored non-1st Round WR target was available in the 3rd when the Bengals picked. Dyami Brown. 1,000+ yards and 20.0+ AVG in both 2020 and 2019. He really seemed like he'd fill in the need the Bengals had. (Also a chance Terrace Marshall Jr would have been there if Chase being available pushed all the WRs down a spot. No way to know, but he was the last WR drafted before the Bengals 3rd round pick.)

I think my dream scenario for the first three rounds was Sewell, Eichenburg, and D Brown. (Would have shoved Jonah and Reiff into G.)

Hopefully Chase, Carman, and Ossai are great for the Bengals. I am just tired of losing all the time and anyone who can make that stop, regardless of the position, is welcome.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - SHRacerX - 08-13-2021

I know it is beating a dead horse, but I am surprised at the number of folks that still think that after losing Ross (not much there) and AJ Green, the Bengals needed a WR that would come in and get (at least) the 104 targets that Green had last year.  

Leaving that up to a fourth rounder, or even a second rounder, would not have been the best formula for success.  

Those 104 targets were with Higgins and Boyd playing as well.  They needed another top receiver.  

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - JWW1971 - 08-13-2021

I haven't read all the posts but regarding the bad press, Has there ever been a time recently when we didn't get bad press for our 1st round pick?

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Stewy - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 10:58 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I haven't read all the posts but regarding the bad press, Has there ever been a time recently when we didn't get bad press for our 1st round pick?

Well it was a camp report from like the middle of camp......since then Chase has been doing much better and I think one day got the Star of the camp or whatever they call the best of the day.  

Summary:  He's knocking off the rust, and based upon some comments by him, he was surprised by the rust as well, recognizes it and is working it out.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - THE Bigzoman - 08-13-2021

We're going to regret it because our O-line won't be much better than last years, not because of any underperformance from Chase. Chase could have and underwhelming year this year and I still wouldn't regret. If he lays eggs for two straight seasons though? Then yeah, we can start talking about regretting it because he wasn't as advertised, but not yet.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it is beating a dead horse, but I am surprised at the number of folks that still think that after losing Ross (not much there) and AJ Green, the Bengals needed a WR that would come in and get (at least) the 104 targets that Green had last year.  

Leaving that up to a fourth rounder, or even a second rounder, would not have been the best formula for success.  

Those 104 targets were with Higgins and Boyd playing as well.  They needed another top receiver.  

Yeah, we needed a quick Receiver badly and Chase was the best of the bunch.

(08-13-2021, 10:58 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I haven't read all the posts but regarding the bad press, Has there ever been a time recently when we didn't get bad press for our 1st round pick?

We always get bad press with our 1st round picks because they are always injured sadly.

Hope Chase changes this narrative.

(08-13-2021, 12:17 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well it was a camp report from like the middle of camp......since then Chase has been doing much better and I think one day got the Star of the camp or whatever they call the best of the day.  

Summary:  He's knocking off the rust, and based upon some comments by him, he was surprised by the rust as well, recognizes it and is working it out.

That is truth right there Stewy. Wink

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-13-2021

(08-12-2021, 01:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: A big reason linemen tend to need work coming out of college is the tendency of colleges not to run pro style offenses. This even goes down to line technique where they are not being taught pro level technique in college - I wish they were.

It's a HUGE problem for the league. I've mentioned this several times on here. That's why I was more in favor of attacking the oline with proven vets. If we had time to develop, and had good players in front it'd be one thing, but we don't and we didn't.

But I still wanted Sewell. So basically, I was go all in on oline kinda guy...lol. But Chase should be a good un.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - tms - 08-13-2021

If Chase performs anywhere close to the level I expect from him, it's hard to imagine regret. Do we regret taking AJ instead of Jones? Even Justin Smith instead of LT? In hindsight those might not have been the right picks, but regret is not the word I would use for them.

I think the Carman pick needs to be judged on its own merits. I'm the first one to say that the Chase pick went beyond Chase and carried a high opportunity cost. But there were still options to get the best of both worlds at 38... even 46. Time will tell whether we managed to do so. I mean, I'll be following Sewell/Slater like a lot fo people. But I figure Chase is safe unless he himself shits the bed (which is darn near inconceivable).

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 03:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's a HUGE problem for the league. I've mentioned this several times on here. That's why I was more in favor of attacking the oline with proven vets. If we had time to develop, and had good players in front it'd be one thing, but we don't and we didn't.

But I still wanted Sewell. So basically, I was go all in on oline kinda guy...lol. But Chase should be a good un.

Yeah, I approve of getting proven vets on the OL more than anything cause of this. I like that we got Reiff and I like the young 
guys in Carman, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill but it will take time with them as it does any rookie. Same with Sewell on the Lions.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - SuperBowlBound! - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 01:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think my dream scenario for the first three rounds was Sewell, Eichenburg, and D Brown. (Would have shoved Jonah and Reiff into G.)

Picking up Thuney, Reiff and a Center in FA, Drafting Sewell and Eichenburg would have given this team the OL depth it would need.
We really would not have needed to rely on Sewell and Eichenburg in 2021 they could have been backups who were learning from Thuney an All Pro. 
I just hope this thing works out, I wonder if they were planning on picking Eichenburg but Miami traded up in front of them to get him.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - rfaulk34 - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 12:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think they would have ever signed Reiff if Sewell was their target.  If they weren't going to pay Zeitler $7 mil a year to play G, why would they pay Reiff that and try to move him to G?  Likely, they would have held onto Hart until at least the draft as insurance if they were going Sewell.  

The Bengals were never going to wait until Day 3 to get an X WR.  The class was thin at X and they needed an immediate starter.  My guess is they would have gone Marshall in 2.  With a lot of teams having late 1st round grades on him at least until the injury stuff broke, it would not be hard to see the team not feeling comfortable trading down.  They likely still would have gone Ossai in 3 due to value intersecting with need and passed on Sample in 4 and maybe addressing DT with Shelvin or another player.  

The argument about depth is a little silly, IMO.  We don't really know what else the Bengals would or wouldn't have done if they took Sewell, so it's impossible to argue that the depth would be better or worse.

They couldn't assume that Sewell would be there so they had to get Reiff, regardless, and then go from there. 

You and i know they are content with what they have and Chase was the target all along. I'm not nearly as worried about the line as some around here are. 

(08-13-2021, 01:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It is what it is now... but my favored non-1st Round WR target was available in the 3rd when the Bengals picked. Dyami Brown. 1,000+ yards and 20.0+ AVG in both 2020 and 2019. He really seemed like he'd fill in the need the Bengals had. (Also a chance Terrace Marshall Jr would have been there if Chase being available pushed all the WRs down a spot. No way to know, but he was the last WR drafted before the Bengals 3rd round pick.)

I think my dream scenario for the first three rounds was Sewell, Eichenburg, and D Brown. (Would have shoved Jonah and Reiff into G.)

Hopefully Chase, Carman, and Ossai are great for the Bengals. I am just tired of losing all the time and anyone who can make that stop, regardless of the position, is welcome.

Yup. Ditto.

Sewell and Marshall Jr, i would have been quite happy with, if they hadn't gone the way they did.

(08-13-2021, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it is beating a dead horse, but I am surprised at the number of folks that still think that after losing Ross (not much there) and AJ Green, the Bengals needed a WR that would come in and get (at least) the 104 targets that Green had last year.  

I'm def glad they went the way they did. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - sandwedge - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 03:50 PM)tms Wrote: If Chase performs anywhere close to the level I expect from him, it's hard to imagine regret. Do we regret taking AJ instead of Jones? Even Justin Smith instead of LT? In hindsight those might not have been the right picks, but regret is not the word I would use for them.

I think the Carman pick needs to be judged on its own merits. I'm the first one to say that the Chase pick went beyond Chase and carried a high opportunity cost. But there were still options to get the best of both worlds at 38... even 46. Time will tell whether we managed to do so. I mean, I'll be following Sewell/Slater like a lot fo people. But I figure Chase is safe unless he himself shits the bed (which is darn near inconceivable).

Pretty good post!

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - sandwedge - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I approve of getting proven vets on the OL more than anything cause of this. I like that we got Reiff and I like the young 
guys in Carman, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill but it will take time with them as it does any rookie. Same with Sewell on the Lions.

I do like the fact that they didn't over spend on FA for an OG when they had Spain and X. Truly don't think they are as bad as some believe.