Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Bengalholic - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you guys are right. Joe Burrow looked terrible in the Preseason we didn't have last year....I should have called him Joe Klingler

I agree with this quote:

'It is far too early to call JaMaar a "bust" and anyone who does so at this point is clueless.'

That would seem to logically include linking him to a recent, notable WR bust by calling him Ja'Marr Ross.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: [Image: 239741445_4032132323564279_4044249484567...e=6147228A]
That was way coller in your head wasn't it.

Personally I haven't called Ja'Marr a bust and have stated anyone who has is clueless. I did poke fun when I saw a poor performance last night and a couple "drops" looked like catching the ball was about the 3rd thing on his mind. 

Some folks are just too sensitive. I've also poked fun of Penei Sewell this Preseason; is it OK to do that?

(08-21-2021, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with this quote:

'It is far too early to call JaMaar a "bust" and anyone who does so at this point is clueless.'

That would seem to logically include linking him to a recent, notable WR bust by calling him Ja'Marr Ross.

Just don't forget the "pass' I gave Joe Burrow last year during preseason....definitely different standards on my part.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - MickMack - 08-21-2021

This thread is dumb.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - C0de_M0nkey - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Criticizing or being concerned with the drops is one thing. Comparing him to a notable WR bust, when he hasn't played a single regular season snap yet, is beyond silly and a complete overreaction. 

It's just as silly as when people hype up practice squad / back of the roster type guys like they're going to set the NFL on fire because they had a couple preseason performances. 

We won't know what Chase is or isn't until we see him do it over an extended period in the regular season. 

He looked like John Ross in that game. It’s a legitimate concern. Chase isn’t in college anymore. He’s an NFL player making millions of dollars and he needs to be held accountable.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:54 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: He looked like John Ross in that game. It’s a legitimate concern. Chase isn’t in college anymore. He’s an NFL player making millions of dollars and he needs to be held accountable.

No, it's not.

I see I'm going to need help with a new sig. Can I get someone to change the "D" to a "J" in this:

[Image: MV5BY2ZkNzliZGUtNjE5OC00ZjM3LWFjOWYtZGUw...X1000_.jpg]

Too early??

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Murdock2420 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:40 PM)BengalDawg Wrote: He led the team in yards as a rookie and was second in targets (110 v. 108). He has been targeted early and often this preseason. The franchise has posted multiple shots of him on their social media all off season. The team has shown nothing to indicate they aren’t  committed to keeping him. This is a lazy take and based on nothing.

*Head Desk*

Jesus.... you mean the same way Diggs was second in targets and all over social media and.... yeah... 

Do you not understand the way it works in the NFL? He he is the #1 WR on the team gets the big paycheck and the bonuses and the accolades. 

Not to mention... get a grip, it was a simple statement of concern for a guy who may want to be a #1 WR and will never be that here because of what the team did in this year's draft (well unless Chase totally bust or gets hurt). Spin it anyway you want, if Chase performs at all, he's going to be the focal point (just like Chad was over T.J. if you are old enough to remember) and that ended with what.... oh yeah, T.J. wanted to go be a #1 somewhere else.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 08-21-2021

These fanboys are just embarrassing themselves more than they normally do

Quite sad

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - NUGDUKWE - 08-21-2021

The drops from Chase were concerning. I'm sure it was just a bad game and will ultimately probably make him better but nevertheless still concerning. Especially from the highlights I watched ( they didn't have alot of route progression) his best trait was what he did at the catch point with strong hands and attacking the ball. I probably would've given him an easy one to get the taste out of his mouth. But maybe he'll be trying to prove something come week 1.

(08-21-2021, 03:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: In this scenario, probably not. I guess it would depend on how much they'd pony up and how much he likes playing here. Also, he has two years left on his deal....in the off chance this team winds up a legit contender in that time frame, that might have some bearing on his decision too. Lot of variables there. 

That's my fear Wyche, I loved the Higgins pick (yes I'm a Clemson homer) but he showed up and showed he could be a #1. Then, he busted his ass and got bigger, faster and stronger in the off-season. His reward for this from the franchise, was it faith he could be the man? Nope, they went round 1 and took a guy to be a #1 WR. Since that pick, in the back of my head I've quietly questioned if that would impact Higgins negatively in his opinion of the team. I know if there was a promotion at work and I could move up to a better spot and worked hard to show I earned it and the company I worked for hired a guy from outside with a previous relationship with another guy in the department, I'd be a little annoyed. And let's face it, NFL players have egos.

(08-21-2021, 03:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No, it's not.

Drops are a concern, doesn't matter if it is practice, or pre-season, drops should be the one thing not happening. Wrong routes, making mistakes on where to go or where to line up, that is a new offense and taking a year off but catching the ball??? Dude, that's job 1 and something he's been doing his entire life. 

Now, that concern can go away if he starts making catches, but right now from the need for jug machine sessions in practice and still dropping in games, there absolutely should be some concern. And the jug machine sessions would indicate that the coaches do in fact, have some concern. It may be small...but it is there.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Shake n Blake - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 04:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That's my fear Wyche, I loved the Higgins pick (yes I'm a Clemson homer) but he showed up and showed he could be a #1. Then, he busted his ass and got bigger, faster and stronger in the off-season. His reward for this from the franchise, was it faith he could be the man? Nope, they went round 1 and took a guy to be a #1 WR. Since that pick, in the back of my head I've quietly questioned if that would impact Higgins negatively in his opinion of the team. I know if there was a promotion at work and I could move up to a better spot and worked hard to show I earned it and the company I worked for hired a guy from outside with a previous relationship with another guy in the department, I'd be a little annoyed. And let's face it, NFL players have egos.

I also brought up numerous times before we took Chase that we should've given Higgins a shot to be the #1. He earned that with his rookie showing. If he proved himself to be a #2, then fine...we could take a WR next year and at least we'd have Sewell.

Also, as you guys have pointed out, it's possible he takes it personally that we took Chase. Also, there's the matter of "what if Higgins winds up being better than Chase?" Which is a strong possibility. I just think we jumped on the WR train a bit too early, and I can't help but feel it was strongly influenced by Chase playing with Burrow at LSU. Which seems like an immature reason to draft a guy.

I reeaaally don't want to deep dive on this dead horse again, so that's all I'll say on that one.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 04:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That's my fear Wyche, I loved the Higgins pick (yes I'm a Clemson homer) but he showed up and showed he could be a #1. Then, he busted his ass and got bigger, faster and stronger in the off-season. His reward for this from the franchise, was it faith he could be the man? Nope, they went round 1 and took a guy to be a #1 WR. Since that pick, in the back of my head I've quietly questioned if that would impact Higgins negatively in his opinion of the team. I know if there was a promotion at work and I could move up to a better spot and worked hard to show I earned it and the company I worked for hired a guy from outside with a previous relationship with another guy in the department, I'd be a little annoyed. And let's face it, NFL players have egos.

Drafting Chase had nothing to do with a lack of faith in Tee.

“I like having as many routes available to me as possible. Five people out in the route just to stress the defense. Because what I’m good at is feeling space, feeling defenders, feeling where they’re supposed to go, feeling the zones that open up behind them,” Burrow explained. “So when there’s only one or two guys out in the routes, that’s not where I’m at my best.”

Hopefully they’ll start winning games and that’s what keeps players ultimately the happiest anyway. Not personal stats (at least the kind of guys you want). Plus, with ZT’s preference for 11 personnel Tee is going to get the ball a ton anyway. Even if Chase breaks out.

(08-21-2021, 04:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I also brought up numerous times before we took Chase that we should've given Higgins a shot to be the #1. He earned that with his rookie showing. If he proved himself to be a #2, then fine...we could take a WR next year and at least we'd have Sewell.

Also, as you guys have pointed out, it's possible he takes it personally that we took Chase. Also, there's the matter of "what if Higgins winds up being better than Chase?" Which is a strong possibility. I just think we jumped on the WR train a bit too early, and I can't help but feel it was strongly influenced by Chase playing with Burrow at LSU. Which seems like an immature reason to draft a guy.

I reeaaally don't want to deep dive on this dead horse again, so that's all I'll say on that one.

Yup. No sense in going over it all again, but the team had a guy who could be the #1 and basically said, not good enough.

(08-21-2021, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: but the team had a guy who could be the #1 and basically said, not good enough.

That’s what all the chase supporters were saying too lmao

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Joelist - 08-21-2021

Really the main thing is they needed to leave Chase in there until he worked through it. Also call deeper routes for him as they want him to help stretch the field - well let him do it.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Synric - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yup. No sense in going over it all again, but the team had a guy who could be the #1 and basically said, not good enough.

It's not about " #1 receiver" Chase brings a different skillset than Tee Higgins. As for "#1 Receiver" (which is more of a Fantasy Football thing than scheme XYZ receivers) that would be Tyler Boyd the most targeted receiver since 2018.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Tony - 08-21-2021

I seriously blame alot of it on B Allen. Dude is horrible. He throws the most uncatchable ever...

(08-21-2021, 05:01 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not about " #1 receiver" Chase brings a different skillset than Tee Higgins.
You can get a deep threat guy in rounds 2 3 and 4, or even free agency.

Heck, a bust of a first round pick like Breshad Perriman is still a viable deep threat. That’s all this team needed receiver wise.

And even then, I think the supposed need for a deep threat was severely overblown. 2 chain movers capable of 100+ receptions and a better running attack is what the offense needed.

We had those two 100+ reception quality receivers in Boyd and Higgins, and the run game is still not there. Mixon in the backfield just wasting away