Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Synric - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You can get a deep threat guy in rounds 2 3 and 4, or even free agency.

Heck, a bust of a first round pick like Breshad Perriman is still a viable deep threat. That’s all this team needed receiver wise.

And even then, I think the supposed need for a deep threat was severely overblown. 2 chain movers capable of 100+ receptions and a better running attack is what the offense needed.

Chase is more than a a deep threat. He is an X Receiver which allows Tee Higgins to continue his development as the Z which he looked very good in 2020 and Tyler Boyd as the SlotY.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Chase is more than a a deep threat. He is an X Receiver which allows Tee Higgins to continue his development as the Z which he looked very good in 2020 and Tyler Boyd as the SlotY.

So you’re saying Higgins isn’t good enough to be a 1

Gotcha

Kick rocks

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yup. No sense in going over it all again, but the team had a guy who could be the #1 and basically said, not good enough.

Dallas had Amari Cooper (and Gallup) yet they still drafted CeDee Lamb in the 1st round last year.

The point seems to keep being constantly ignored, but ZT runs 11 personnel about 80% of the time. And with AJ gone that’s 100+ targets that need to go somewhere. I understand wanting to have gone OL (I really do), but this notion that adding another top WR is somehow a slight against Tee is just wrong.

(08-21-2021, 05:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: So you’re saying Higgins isn’t good enough to be a 1

Gotcha

Kick rocks

Im a huge fan of Tee Higgins he is going to have a great year as the Bengals Z receiver. The whole "#1 Receiver" is not a position in football and XZY are 3 completely different positions in football.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Again with the “Zac Taylor throws the ball a lot so we need to replace AJ’s 100 targets” crap.

It’s garbage. GARBAGE.

No need for that. We did need to replace AJ. Now I thought #5OA was a little too rich for this team; given our other needs. I wanted to trade back in the Christian Darrisaw range and get an extra 2nd. But Darrisaw hasn't played all PS, so that shows what I know. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - C0de_M0nkey - 08-21-2021

I hope Chase and his coaches aren’t using the same excuses the fans are.

“It was just a preseason game”

“It was just practice”

“It was just a backup throwing to you”

“You took a year off “

“It was a throw over the middle and you could have been hurt”

I don’t think he’s a bust. I think he had a bad game and red flags were exposed in that game. It was just a pre season game until you’re in the playoffs and muscle memory tells you it’s ok to alligator arm when you’re going to get hit. That’s exactly what happened to Cam Newton in the Super Bowl. If we coddle him he WILL be a bust.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No need for that. We did need to replace AJ. Now I thought #5OA was a little too rich for this team; given our other needs. I wanted to trade back in the Christian Darrisaw range and get an extra 2nd. But Darrisaw hasn't played all PS, so that shows what I know. 

And I wanted to stay put and take Eichenberg at 38. Who’s been just as up and down as Carman, but we wouldn’t have Smith. So I’ll give the team credit there.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Bengalfan4life27c - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:30 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: I hope Chase and his coaches aren’t using the same excuses the fans are.

“It was just practice”

“You took a year off “

I don’t think he’s a bust. I think he had a bad game and red flags were exposed in that game. It was just a pre season game until you’re in the playoffs and muscle memory tells you it’s ok to alligator arm when you’re going to get hit. That’s exactly what happened to Cam Newton in the Super Bowl. If we coddle him he WILL be a bust.
You have to think Burrow is throwing to Chase alot more than Allen is. Chase has made highlight reel catches in camp.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - kalibengal - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man, Awuzie deserves his own thread.... that cat is playing some very good ball early. Yeah, it's preseason and all, but he has been like flypaper on his man so far 

I did start a thread called "AwUZI" a couple weeks ago...under the radar signing for sure 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - C0de_M0nkey - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 06:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You have to think Burrow is throwing to Chase alot more than Allen is. Chase has made highlight reel catches in camp.

Training camp highlight reels only matter if you can do it in a game. The Chiefs didn’t give up when Patrick Mahomes went down against the Browns. Are we just screwed if Joe Burrow misses the 4th quarter of one game?

Allen gave Chase 3 catchable throws. He has to at least catch one. Now Allen is getting thrown under the bus when one of those drops could have changed his entire game.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Fan_in_Kettering - 08-21-2021

(08-09-2021, 05:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dude hasn't played in a game in over a year and Burrow is coming back from a shredded knee. I'm tempering my expectations, that's for damn sure.

That’s exactly right: The problem with Ja’Marr Chase isn’t bust. It’s rust.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Murdock2420 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Im a huge fan of Tee Higgins he is going to have a great year as the Bengals Z receiver. The whole "#1 Receiver" is not a position in football and XZY are 3 completely different positions in football.

The #1 WR matters when it comes to contract negotiations and that is honestly the most important thing in football to 90% of the players.

Look no further then the Bates discussion. He wants to be here and believes he is a top safety. He's going out to prove it this season. Well, the way Higgins worked out he believes he is the go to WR, the guy most plays are scripted for, the guy who when you need a catch or a big play you go to.

This a,b,c x,y,z stuff.... Chad was the X. TJ the Z, Henry the slot (deep threat) Y. And Chad was the guy and everyone knew it, as I said earlier it is why TJ left because he wanted to be paid like the #1, it is why Marvin Jones left.

Use all the letters you want, in the mind of players there is a #1 guy on a team. The Y in Pittsburgh was Antonio Brown and he was the #1 guy. He got the $$$ and the most targets.

This team has had this issue before, usually from developing a late round pick TJ or Marvin Jones and that guy leaving for more money. This time they literally drafted themselves into the problem.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jason - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:30 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: I hope Chase and his coaches aren’t using the same excuses the fans are.

“It was just practice”

“You took a year off “

Did it look like he was being coddled when he spent the entirety of the game standing next to his coach hearing about it? It looked like a guy who knew he had a bad game being coached to me.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Go Cards - 08-21-2021

Believe Chase will be just fine yet he did look awkward last night.

(08-21-2021, 07:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The #1 WR matters when it comes to contract negotiations and that is honestly the most important thing in football to 90% of the players.

Look no further then the Bates discussion. He wants to be here and believes he is a top safety. He's going out to prove it this season. Well, the way Higgins worked out he believes he is the go to WR, the guy most plays are scripted for, the guy who when you need a catch or a big play you go to.

This a,b,c x,y,z stuff.... Chad was the X. TJ the Z, Henry the slot (deep threat) Y. And Chad was the guy and everyone knew it, as I said earlier it is why TJ left because he wanted to be paid like the #1, it is why Marvin Jones left.

Use all the letters you want, in the mind of players there is a #1 guy on a team. The Y in Pittsburgh was Antonio Brown and he was the #1 guy. He got the $$$ and the most targets.

This team has had this issue before, usually from developing a late round pick TJ or Marvin Jones and that guy leaving for more money. This time they literally drafted themselves into the problem.

They are different positions that line up differently consequently use different techniques and releases in their routes. Sure a Z receiver can be a teams most productive receiver just look at Justin Jefferson but you wouldnt line him up on the line vs press coverage as an X. That is the difference its scheme not production and the Bengals needed an X. So when people list WR as all the same in a draft class it's wrong.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Bengalitis - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 05:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: So you’re saying Higgins isn’t good enough to be a 1

Gotcha

Kick rocks

Teeggins is our #1 bona fide receiver. Teeggins has out performed #1 draft pick Ross and playing better than our #1 draft pick Chase has demonstrated.

Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - GreenCornBengal - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 09:12 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Teeggins is our #1 bona fide receiver. Teeggins has out performed #1 draft pick Ross and playing better than our #1 draft pick Chase has demonstrated.

Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Idk why, but the way you wrote Teeggins made me think of Tigger which is now what I’m calling Tee. Dude got some hops.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - George Cantstandya - 08-21-2021

Last night was disappointing to say the least.  But I think we all should wait a bit more to see what Chase has to offer before freaking out.  As many stated he didn't play last year.  So he needs to get more live reps against other teams.  I also thought he should have been put back in the game last night in the 3rd or 4th quarter.  If anything just to run more routes and get some time against another team's defense.   Given his one year out of the game every snap against another team can only help him in my opinion.   So I think Zac and the other coaches kind of blew it by not putting him back in.

That said, and I've said this before during the Carman discussion, it almost seems like some people are hoping he fails just to say, "I told you so."  As a fan of the Bengals I want everyone on the team to do great and especially want to see all of this year's draft picks succeed.   The draft was months ago and the Bengals got who they got.  There is no going back.  So I think we should all be rooting for those picks to pan out instead of going through the ,"What might have been thing."  Especially this early in the season.  

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Destro - 08-21-2021

Game is different when the guy playing defense won't get cut for hitting you too hard.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Sled21 - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 04:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: That’s what all the chase supporters were saying too lmao

Good grief man, put some of this on and get over the Sewel deal....

[Image: 560.jpg]