Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure it was..The whole draft process folks that are now currently signing Tee's praises were saying we need Ja'Marr because of what Tee can't do. 

Well, they definitely have much different skill sets. I don’t really blame the Bengals for wanting to recreate that 2019 LSU offense (Boyd = Jefferson - Chase - Tee = Marshall).

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 12:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, they definitely have much different skill sets. I don’t really blame the Bengals for wanting to recreate that 2019 LSU offense (Boyd = Jefferson - Chase - Tee = Marshall).

Yep, Tee's skill set is catching the ball

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - sandwedge - 08-22-2021

(08-21-2021, 09:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: There is no way steelers or ravens would have passed on Sewell for a WR
ZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzz... Seriously this is getting worn out

(08-22-2021, 12:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, Tee's skill set is catching the ball

Tee also had a bunch early on last year btw (credited with 8 drops).

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tee-higgins-player-stats?category=receiving&seasonType=reg

He ain’t exactly been Larry Fitzgerald himself so far in his young career.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jason - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 01:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tee also had a bunch early on last year btw (credited with 8 drops).

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tee-higgins-player-stats?category=receiving&seasonType=reg

He ain’t exactly been Larry Fitzgerald himself so far in his young career.

I was less than invested in that snooze fest last night, but I didn't notice Higgins applying his skill set of catching the ball last night either.

This is dumb. This whole off-season has been about taking shots at our own guys to prove how superior our knowledge of team building is to the powers that be in Cincinnati.

(08-22-2021, 01:23 AM)jason Wrote: I was less than invested in that snooze fest last night, but I didn't notice Higgins applying his skill set of catching the ball last night either.

This is dumb. This whole off-season has been about taking shots at our own guys to prove how superior our knowledge of team building is to the powers that be in Cincinnati.

Well, I wasn’t trying to take a shot at Tee (who I like a lot). Just pointing out Tee also had some issues with drops last season.

And yes we should expect more out of a top 5 pick, but as its been pointed out like 37 times now in this thread, Chase is definitely working through trying to knock off some rust after opting out last year (another reason our boy Bfine doesn’t like the kid).

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - wanga - 08-22-2021

I can understand people being miffed, I guess, when they don’t like who was drafted where but to a tively hope and push the barrow for a Bengals player to not succeed is waaay beyond ***** weird.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 01:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I wasn’t trying to take a shot at Tee (who I like a lot). Just pointing out Tee also had some issues with drops last season.

......and if memory serves, most of those were early in the season. As I've said, if we're still talking about this weeks on down the line, then it will be a problem.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Rubekahn29 - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 07:30 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ......and if memory serves, most of those were early in the season. As I've said, if we're still talking about this weeks on down the line, then it will be a problem.

Yes exactly. Chase is not alone in his struggles. Davonte Smith had three drops. Sewell has struggled to block. Burrow struggled in his first game last year.

Let’s have some patience. Pointing out the bad play is one thing, but comparing him to one of our worst 1st round busts is a huge leap when we haven’t even seen him in a regular season game.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - bfine32 - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 03:39 AM)wanga Wrote: I can understand people being miffed, I guess, when they don’t like who was drafted where but to a tively hope and push the barrow for a Bengals player to not succeed is waaay beyond ***** weird.

This is what we call the straw man fallacy. I've not seen anyone hope for a Bengal not to succeed. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalsRocker - 08-22-2021

Chase is under the microscope no matter if you wanted the pick to be him or not.

He's a high profile, high pick, taking #1 jersey, plus the Bengals were idiots for not taking Munoz jr guy to protect Joe the Hero football supposedly to boot.

The heat is on.

Pile on the fact of some self anointing our WRs as top three without playing any regular season games together... you can bet the media outside of Cincy area is gonna crank up the heat some more.

I'm not gonna chicken little over some drops but I'd wager a collective "WTF!" was shouted or at least muttered after 3 drops in a row.

The debacle of the Ross pick hangs a black storm cloud over us like Charlie Brown.

I don't think we're gonna regret the pick but totally understand why this question is asked and where it's coming from.

What I don't like is when people go out of their way to act like assbags about Sewell and the "shiny new toy" complex with Chase.

Our WR depth from Higgins & Boyd on down was atrocious.

Most of the worthy free agent WRs were demanding high dollar amounts and that's even if our team was on the list or just being used to negotiate elsewhere.

What were they gonna do?  Strike gold on a later pick?  Hope that Tate becomes The Beast and end zone threat that he really never was??

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - KillerGoose - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 12:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Chase is under the microscope no matter if you wanted the pick to be him or not.

He's a high profile, high pick, taking #1 jersey, plus the Bengals were idiots for not taking Munoz jr guy to protect Joe the Hero football supposedly to boot.

The heat is on.

Pile on the fact of some self anointing our WRs as top three without playing any regular season games together... you can bet the media outside of Cincy area is gonna crank up the heat some more.

I'm not gonna chicken little over some drops but I'd wager a collective "WTF!" was shouted or at least muttered after 3 drops in a row.

The debacle of the Ross pick hangs a black storm cloud over us like Charlie Brown.

I don't think we're gonna regret the pick but totally understand why this question is asked and where it's coming from.

What I don't like is when people go out of their way to act like assbags about Sewell and the "shiny new toy" complex with Chase.

Most of the worthy free agent WRs were demanding high dollar amounts and that's even if our team was on the list or just being used to negotiate elsewhere.

What were they gonna do?  Strike gold on a later pick?  Hope that Tate becomes The Beast and end zone threat that he really never was??

I think we’d be in a weird spot either way. I was, and am a big Sewell fan. I wanted Sewell and Amon Ra St. Brown, which the Lions picked up both. However, Sewell did not look good last night, just like Chase didn’t look good.

I think if we had picked Sewell, many fans would be saying “SEE, Sewell is struggling! We should have addressed our WR depth.” And unfortunately, since Chase has struggled, you’ll see people saying “should’ve picked Sewell!” One thing I will say is that our OL has looked good, which is all I was after. I think Sewell is going to be very good, and I think Chase will be, too. My main concern was protecting Burrow and so far, the OL is playing well. I also like what I have seen from Carman.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - reuben.ahmed - 08-22-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was way coller in your head wasn't it.

Personally I haven't called Ja'Marr a bust and have stated anyone who has is clueless. I did poke fun when I saw a poor performance last night and a couple "drops" looked like catching the ball was about the 3rd thing on his mind. 

Some folks are just too sensitive. I've also poked fun of Penei Sewell this Preseason; is it OK to do that?

It's just a joke, I'm wearing that clown makeup too, I find it hard to believe a #5 pick is struggling to catch the ball even in practice, he's also not getting separation in practice, but I expect that considering no Bengals WR has gotten separation for about 7-8 years (since AJ green was younger).

He said it's mental, hope he clears it up quick, he's not a big WR, maybe he's scared when he sees all the NFL players are as big and fast as only a handful of his collegiate competition.

(08-22-2021, 12:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think we’d be in a weird spot either way. I was, and am a big Sewell fan. I wanted Sewell and Amon Ra St. Brown, which the Lions picked up both. However, Sewell did not look good last night, just like Chase didn’t look good.

I think if we had picked Sewell, many fans would be saying “SEE, Sewell is struggling! We should have addressed our WR depth.” And unfortunately, since Chase has struggled, you’ll see people saying “should’ve picked Sewell!” One thing I will say is that our OL has looked good, which is all I was after. I think Sewell is going to be very good, and I think Chase will be, too. My main concern was protecting Burrow and so far, the OL is playing well. I also like what I have seen from Carman.

Just like people say let's wait for the season to see how Chase does, I think we have to say the same for the O-line.

Burrow is going to have jitters too, not playing any pre-season games after an injury. I'd be surprised if he starts Game 1. A jittery QB with a jittery WR...nice combo lol. It's not like we won a ton of games when Burrow wasn't jittery.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Stewy - 08-22-2021

This thread kind of amazes me. Chase is who we have. Chase is who will start. Chase is/was seen as elite but essentially everyone. Comparing him to this or that persons stats is pointless and useless until he has some stats.

Chase will be fine. He had a bad day. It happens. Am I worried? No. Am I concerned? No.

Does your or my concerns matter in the least or at all and can we resolve to make anyone feel better here? Hell no. Both sides of the debate are wasting their breaths and this thread is a joke. This is one of the most meaningless conversations we've had on these forums and that's saying a lot.

(08-22-2021, 12:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Chase is under the microscope no matter if you wanted the pick to be him or not.

The heat is on.

Yes, if he wasn't drafted #5 in the draft, I wonder if some people would be saying the same thing ("give him time", etc). This happens a lot in the NBA too, even if he sees all the reported negativity it tests if he's able to handle it - some athletes seem to get crushed and disappear after a few years lol.

(08-22-2021, 12:37 PM)Stewy Wrote: This thread kind of amazes me.  Chase is who we have.  Chase is who will start.  Chase is/was seen as elite but essentially everyone.  Comparing him to this or that persons stats is pointless and useless until he has some stats.  

Chase will be fine.  He had a bad day.  It happens.  Am I worried?  No.  Am I concerned?  No.

Does your or my concerns matter in the least or at all and can we resolve to make anyone feel better here?  Hell no.  Both sides of the debate are wasting their breaths and this thread is a joke.  This is one of the most meaningless conversations we've had on these forums and that's saying a lot.

Using your logic though, there is absolutely no meaningful conversation that can be had, since we have zero impact. It's not like the Bengals have shown history of being a successful football team. This board is just a mix of hope and the honest wallowing in sadness, lol.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - samhain - 08-22-2021

I'm still not overly concerned here. Chase is going to be a victim of both insanely high expectations and people questioning the Bengals' lackluster approach to building the line this past offseason in the wake of the Burrow injury. Criticism of that plan is valid, but Chase is A. what we have here and now and B. a rookie receiver who hasn't played competitive football in a year.

Draft status and measurables have some ready to label him a bust for not being Steve Smith in his prime from day 1. That kind of judgement is either willfully dishonest (because people hated the pick to begin with) or just plain silly. Every rookie reciever isn't going to be AJ or Julio in year 1. There almost never used to be wrs that came in and succeeded as rookies. Last year, both Lamb and Jeudy were considered elite prospects, and both underwhelmed early. Ruggs wasn't special, either.

Chase, much like the Bengals as a whole is still a work in progress. I think he deserves time before enduring beatings from people still upset over the pick. Ask yourself what's likely to happen here. Is he likely to set the league on fire from week one, catch 12 TDs and have 1200 yards as a rookie? No. Is he likely to be the second coming of Ross and demonstrate that he has zero business in the league? No. Is he likely to play like a rookie early and show gradual improvement over the course of the season? Very. It's unfortunate that many seen eager to use very typical rookie adjustments as a reason to bail on player that still has a strong likelihood to be a big part of the team's future.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Stewy - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 12:40 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Using your logic though, there is absolutely no meaningful conversation that can be had, since we have zero impact. It's not like the Bengals have shown history of being a successful football team. This board is just a mix of hope and the honest wallowing in sadness, lol.

Buzzzzzzzzzzz......wrong take.  Try again.

I think it was obvious that I was referring to the 20+ pages of with repeated arguments, circles and tons of non-sense.  Have you actually read through all 20+ pages?  I'm not saying things shouldn't be discussed but the EXTENT of this thread represents the worst of the fandom here.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 10:36 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yes exactly. Chase is not alone in his struggles. Davonte Smith had three drops. Sewell has struggled to block. Burrow struggled in his first game last year.

Let’s have some patience. Pointing out the bad play is one thing, but comparing him to one of our worst 1st round busts is a huge leap when we haven’t even seen him in a regular season game.

Agreed. I pointed out that he had a bad game, probably trying to get up field without looking the ball in. John Ross not only effed up a bunch, his heart wasn't in the game either. Don't see that happening here even if he continues to drop balls.