Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - TecmoBengals - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, well we've got to at least talk about it before we find out...though you do paint a grim picture.

It's been all down for my fandom since I was kid watching the Bengals lose to the 49'ers in '88. Who Dey! In all seriousness, my perspective is that any growing pains Chase has adjusting to the NFL isn't necessarily completely on him.  

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Joelist - 09-01-2021

Let's just wait and see him in real game action. Really this whole thread has been dumb and remember it only succeeded in causing a forum blowup.

A better thread would be on how best to use Chase in the offense.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - jj22 - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 12:08 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He may well drop a pass against Minnesota.

The real question is will people have the discipline to resist bumping this thread *immediately* after that happens.

The forum is closed on game day so all reactions as they have been will be after the game. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - BengalsRocker - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 01:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's just wait and see him in real game action. Really this whole thread has been dumb and remember it only succeeded in causing a forum blowup.

A better thread would be on how best to use Chase in the offense.

I think the real thing that comes of this is why in the hell didn't Taylor give Chase more reps in pre-season?

No.  It's not Zac's fault for Chase dropping the ball.

Yet what coach in his right mind wouldn't want him to knock the rust off before the season starts?

Even if Chase shakes the yips I still think Taylor is a chump in over his head.

It's either that he's naive and over confident, a narcissist, lost as a coach, or the complete flip side of it... scared to question Chase and his ego.

So which is it?  

Yea, I think the opinion that Chase should have played more until he got it out his system is universally agreed upon. The only thing I can think of is didn't want to compound the situation and criticism (if he continued to drop passes).

(09-01-2021, 02:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea, I think the opinion that Chase should have played more until he got it out his system is universally agreed upon. The only thing I can think of is didn't want to compound the situation and criticism (if he continued to drop passes).

Isn't funny though.  I would be highly surprised if there are any fans that felt limiting Chase's play was the right thing.

The argument would be "don't wanna get your starter hurt in a meaningless game" state of mind.

Though he's a rookie and has shown nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

If he would have flashed for at least one play.  Then I think this goes away and there's not much to it.

Who cares if Chase gets knocked down a peg and gets some reps in the process?

He should be more embarrassed standing on the sidelines with nothing to show for being there in uniform.

I agree. He seemed unbothered and jovial on the sidelines which was not reading the room very well given I'm sure he's heard the criticism. I've been hard on him, so maybe this is unrealistic but it would have been nice if he would have wanted to stay in, and work through it. Maybe he did and we don't know (and didn't see him upset he was taken out).

Chad would have thrown a fit getting pulled knowing his struggles. And he probably would have gotten some bad press. But a little of that passion is good. Especially if you are driven and know you are under a microscope with a dark cloud hanging over your head.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Shake n Blake - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 09:47 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Practice has no impact on who the actual best receivers on the team are. What I mean by that is if Davante Adams tore up practice every single day but he was only averaging 600 yards per season, no one would think about him the way that they do.

Practice IS important, but if the only argument that you have for a player is “well, he’s doing well in practice” then that is a really weak argument. Chase looked awful this preseason. That being said, I’m a believer in Chase and I think he will turn it around.

I think Chase will turn it around too, but I have no evidence to base that on, other than "he was the 5th overall pick and did really well at LSU".

(09-01-2021, 11:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There's a reason why Boyd was a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st round pick, let alone a 5th overall pick.

If Chase takes over a year, it's a failed pick.

I am not saying that it will, or that he is, but we can't hold a 5th overall pick to the same initial standards and expectations as a 55th overall pick.

Agree for the most part. When you take a guy that high, you want him starting and making an impact from day 1...ala AJ Green.

(09-01-2021, 11:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We should probably just let him play his first game.....

We have to talk about his current performance, don't we?

...and I know a lot of guys will be saying "it's just one game" if Chase drops 3 passes in week 1.

(09-01-2021, 12:08 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: He may well drop a pass against Minnesota.

The real question is will people have the discipline to resist bumping this thread *immediately* after that happens.

Why should people *not* talk about our top pick stinking it up (if he does stink)?

(09-01-2021, 12:33 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's way too early for this thread to even exist. Let's give Chase at least a season with his second year, bad-knee QB and historically NFL bad coach before we write him off as a bust at WR.

Everything you listed will be used as an excuse if he is terrible this year. I don't think we'll be able to openly discuss whether or not Chase is a bust until/unless he gets cut in year 4. Heck, we had John Ross apologists until very recently. Not saying Chase is going to bust, btw.

(09-01-2021, 03:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree. He seemed unbothered and jovial on the sidelines which was not reading the room very well given I'm sure he's heard the criticism. I've been hard on him, so maybe this is unrealistic but it would have been nice if he would have wanted to stay in, and work through it. Maybe he did and we don't know (and didn't see him upset he was taken out).

Chad would have thrown a fit getting pulled knowing his struggles. And he probably would have gotten some bad press. But a little of that passion is good. Especially if you are driven and know you are under a microscope with a dark cloud hanging over your head.

Usually I'm not one of these fans that gets too hyped about pre-season players' good or bad performances.

Same with coaching because it's pretty vanilla in schemes and more about evaluating players.

This Chase situation is something out of the ordinary for me.

The way it's been handled only amplified it more.

It was more like "we're pulling the 1s so Chase come out". 

Which would normally make sense.  It's not like he's going to get cut and we don't want to risk injury.

For Chase it seemed different in my opinion.  Like a "coffee is for closers" type situation.

You haven't proven anything pal.  Get your ass back out there.

I kind of understand if Taylor didn't want to take from other lower tier players play time for cut evaluations.

It still seemed very weak to me regardless.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - KillerGoose - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Chase will turn it around too, but I have no evidence to base that on, other than "he was the 5th overall pick and did really well at LSU".

Yeah, that makes two of us. It’s basically me still believing in him because it is so early.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-01-2021

Both Chase & Burrow should have played more in preseason. Joe a little more (get a first down). Chase a LOT more.

I do not understand sitting guys who are obviously rusty in preseason (especially ones who have missed time) so that they can be rusty (but healthy!) in the regular season and lose us games that count.

(09-01-2021, 05:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Both Chase & Burrow should have played more in preseason. Joe a little more (get a first down). Chase a LOT more.

I do not understand sitting guys who are obviously rusty in preseason (especially ones who have missed time) so that they can be rusty (but healthy!) in the regular season and lose us games that count.

Burrow, I'm not sure of. The 3 plays was pretty useless I agree, but I would have been fine if they held him out all preseason so I won't complain.

Chase, there's no excuse since his absence last year wasn't injury related. Even Higgins came back in for a second drive just to get a catch the 2nd (or 1st I can't remember) preseason game.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nately120 - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Everything you listed will be used as an excuse if he is terrible this year. I don't think we'll be able to openly discuss whether or not Chase is a bust until/unless he gets cut in year 4. Heck, we had John Ross apologists until very recently. Not saying Chase is going to bust, btw.

Oh lord, if we get to the point where we are talking about our coaching staff "not knowing how to use Chase" I'm going to be very worried...and I have no faith in our coaching staff.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 06:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh lord, if we get to the point where we are talking about our coaching staff "not knowing how to use Chase" I'm going to be very worried...and I have no faith in our coaching staff.

Lmaoo

you know it's going to happen if Chase struggles or underperforms

they'll know how to use Higgins and Boyd, but by golly they just arent competent enough to get the best out of Chase lolol

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Fan_in_Kettering - 09-01-2021

(09-01-2021, 06:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh lord, if we get to the point where we are talking about our coaching staff "not knowing how to use Chase" I'm going to be very worried...and I have no faith in our coaching staff.

Looking at the routes the staff had Ja’Marr Chase run in preseason I’m convinced the coaches don’t know how to use him.

(09-01-2021, 07:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Looking at the routes the staff had Ja’Marr Chase run in preseason I’m convinced the coaches don’t know how to use him.

but they know how to use Higgins and Boyd

hmmm

smells like excuses already.

scapegoat the horrible head coach. Not a bad move

(09-01-2021, 07:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: but they know how to use Higgins and Boyd

hmmm

smells like excuses already.

scapegoat the horrible head coach. Not a bad move

Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd are versatile receivers who can run a variety of routes. Ja’Marr Chase is pretty much a down the sideline speed receiver. There’s nothing wrong with this but we don’t run an Indy Car over an obstacle course.

(09-01-2021, 07:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd are versatile receivers who can run a variety of routes.  Ja’Marr Chase is pretty much a down the sideline speed receiver.  

wow. cincy spent the number 5 pick on THAT?

Im not feeling too well bros..

(09-01-2021, 07:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: wow. cincy spent the number 5 pick on THAT?

That’s exactly what the Bengals needed in the wide receiver room! As good as Higgins and Boyd are they’re not the type to take the top off a defensive secondary. Chase can do this and there’s plenty of tape from his days at LSU which proves it.

(09-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s exactly what the Bengals needed in the wide receiver room!  As good as Higgins and Boyd are they’re not the type to take the top off a defensive secondary. Chase can do this and there’s plenty of tape from his days at LSU which proves it.

if all you need is a down the sideline limited receiver, you dont use the number 5 pick on that.

Bill Belichik would never do such a thing.

Im not continuing any further with this conversation. It's groundhog day