Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Shake n Blake - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Something like that. Think he completed 10 in a row at one point.

I know I'll catch heat for this, but I swear when I watch Burrow, he reminds me of Brady. Just something about the way he moves and his throwing motion.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Joelist - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 05:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Gio was on the field when Joe got hurt.

But Burrow was not hurt by a free running defender - he got hurt when Jordan let his defender truck him into Burrow. 

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Frank Booth - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know I'll catch heat for this, but I swear when I watch Burrow, he reminds me of Brady. Just something about the way he moves and his throwing motion.

You get no heat from me, bud

He has mvp potential

Juuuuust gotta not get hit so much

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Nicomo Cosca - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: But Burrow was not hurt by a free running defender - he got hurt when Jordan let his defender truck him into Burrow. 

True. Just saying, keeping Gio wouldn’t have guaranteed anything. Joe got hit a ton last year with Gio on the field (a lot too with Mixon out).

Perine either needs to step up his blocking or they should start rotating in Evans.

(09-13-2021, 06:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You get no heat from me, bud

He has mvp potential

Juuuuust gotta not get hit so much

Amen to that.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know I'll catch heat for this, but I swear when I watch Burrow, he reminds me of Brady. Just something about the way he moves and his throwing motion.

It's the truth; he seemingly has the mind/cerebral qualities of Manning, the clutch/It Factor of Brady and the pocket presence/mechanics of Mahomes (LOVE when Burrow resets his feet to get the right throw off; he did it at least twice yesterday and the big one that sticks in my mind is the 4th down pass to Higgins against Tennessee last year: he scans, scans some more, moves, stops, re-plants and throws a dime).

He just doesn't have the cannon that Mahomes has (or Brady/Manning had, for that matter), but that's not a death knell in today's game.

(09-13-2021, 06:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's the truth; he seemingly has the mind/cerebral qualities of Manning, the clutch/It Factor of Brady and the pocket presence/mechanics of Mahomes (LOVE when Burrow resets his feet to get the right throw off; he did it at least twice yesterday and the big one that sticks in my mind is the 4th down pass to Higgins against Tennessee last year: he scans, scans some more, moves, stops, re-plants and throws a dime).

He just doesn't have the cannon that Mahomes has (or Brady/Manning had, for that matter), but that's not a death knell in today's game.

Neither of those guys ever really had a “cannon” though, Truck.

As far as resetting his feet, he’s usually really good at that. The throw he missed to Mike Thomas yesterday was a rare instance where he didn’t. And to me it looked like he had time to do so.

Speaking of Mahomes arm though, that TD throw to Hill against the Browns while rolling away from the pocket… :o

He’s just absolutely ridiculous. I think he’s passed Rodgers for the most physically gifted QB I’ve seen in my lifetime.

(09-13-2021, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Neither of those guys ever really had a “cannon” though, Truck.

As far as resetting his feet, he’s usually really good at that. The throw he missed to Mike Thomas yesterday was a rare instance where he didn’t. And to me it looked like he had time to do so.

Speaking of Mahomes arm though, that TD throw to Hill against the Browns while rolling away from the pocket… :o

He’s just absolutely ridiculous. I think he’s passed Rodgers for the most physically gifted QB I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Agreed. Peyton never had a laser...rocket arm, nor did Brady. Or Montana. Or Brees.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: True. Just saying, keeping Gio wouldn’t have guaranteed anything. Joe got hit a ton last year with Gio on the field (a lot too with Mixon out).

Which is why the "draft o-line" crowd thought it was stupid and short sighted to draft a WR in the 1st round. 

Most of us viewed the drafting of Chase as "We need to have better receivers that way when Burrow's backup inevitably comes in to finish out the season, he'll have more tools to work with"

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As far as resetting his feet, he’s usually really good at that. The throw he missed to Mike Thomas yesterday was a rare instance where he didn’t. And to me it looked like he had time to do so.
I'm more of the belief that, while Burrow shares some of the blame for that miss, Thomas was more to blame. He looked like a ***** that's too afraid to dive for a ball. I have yet to be impressed by Mike Thomas.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Rubekahn29 - 09-13-2021

I mean, our sacks came from every position that would not have different if we drafted Oline in first. Came from Center, TE, and RB.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - PhilHos - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:47 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I mean, our sacks came from every position that would not have different if we drafted Oline in first. Came from Center, TE, and RB.

Yes, but when you focus on a particular narrative, facts become irrelevant.

(09-13-2021, 06:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, but when you focus on a particular narrative, facts become irrelevant.

The bengals prob become more run heavy if they go o-line round 1

But these are what ifs from both camps.

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Rubekahn29 - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 06:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The bengals prob become more run heavy if they go o-line round 1

But these are what ifs from both camps.

You mean like they did yesterday? They ran the ball 36 times yesterday, 9 more than they passed, and 4 more than they dropped back, and probably could have justified passing more. Mixon has the most rushing yards so far in week 1.

(09-13-2021, 07:01 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You mean like they did yesterday? They ran the ball 36 times yesterday, 9 more than they passed, and 4 more than they dropped back, and probably could have justified passing more. Mixon has the most rushing yards so far in week 1.

I’m nitpicking just a little

But this o-line is missing a road grater. Hopefully we can add one next season or something.

Just a guy who can clear holes for Mixon.

I get it, Mixon had a good day on the ground

I just want to see the team consistently convert the short yardage situations

RE: Will we regret the Chase pick? - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-13-2021

(09-13-2021, 04:19 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Did Carmen even play?

This was supposed to be the deepest O-line draft in over a decade. "You can find starters 4 rounds deep" was what we were repeatedly told.

This is still the same starting o-line as last year with a FA tackle. This supposedly deep o-line draft, a position group that was the weakest on the team, and all they did was add backups.

Yes, I am still leaning towards regretting the Chase pick and the Cam Sample pick. This D-line didn't need a 3rd rounder added as much as the O-line could have used it. They needed a lot more on the O-line than a top rated tackle prospect.

Carman was playing on FGs....but that's all I noticed. I think the biggest help we got was having Spain in training camp at one position, and XSF actually playing. That said, I was totally for getting Sewell, but Chase played very well yesterday.

(09-13-2021, 04:44 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Something tells me if we had Frank and this specific O-line last year (HEALTHY... don't tell me 4 of the 5 were here.... they were in the training/rehab facility) then we'd have been more balanced like what we saw yesterday.

Absolutely agree.

(09-13-2021, 05:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

Now if you want to argue that we should have taken Creed Humphrey after trading back in the 2nd then ok, but our OT’s played great.

Hopefully the team banking on Hopkins being ready won’t end being a mistake.

I don't think it will be. He was shaking off the rust against a very big, physical, and athletic NT yesterday. I think he'll come around and be at least a league average C.

(09-13-2021, 06:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I need to go back and check that out. I was kind of in and out while watching it at around 2am this morning. 

Looked like he hooked it in.

(09-13-2021, 07:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m nitpicking just a little

But this o-line is missing a road grater. Hopefully we can add one next season or something.

Just a guy who can clear holes for Mixon.

I get it, Mixon had a good day on the ground

I just want to see the team consistently convert the short yardage situations

Carman should be a starter by next year, and he’s an absolute mauler in the run game. Pancaked a few different guys this preseason.