Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread (/Thread-The-Ja-Marr-Chase-Thread)

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Murdock2420 - 12-07-2021

(12-06-2021, 05:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He really has been. Over the last 5 games:

Chase: 39 targets for 20-204-2 (5.23 yards per target)
Higgins: 39 targets for 27-442-2 (11.33 yards per target)
Boyd: 27 targets for 19-227-1 (8.40 yards per target)

I remember a lot of talk about Higgins being incapable of making big plays due to lack of speed, but here he is averaging 16.4 yards per catch over this stretch.

I forget who it was, but there was a poster who said Higgins had a low YPC early in the season because Chase was getting all the long targets. That's looking like he was on to something, as Higgins went from 10.2 yards/catch while Chase was balling out, to 16.4 yards/catch during Chase's slide.

It's even more interesting when you break down the last 5 games among rookie WRs

Targets  Receptions   Yards   TDs
39         20               204      2               Chase
46         38               436      1               Waddle
26         17               280      3               DeVonta Smith
45         28               392      5               Elijah Moore
31         25               234      1               Amon-Ra St. Brown
34         25               300      0               Kadarius Toney
27         18               192      0               Rashod Bateman

With the exception of Bateman all of those guys are doing it with lesser QBs and with no real help around them at all. 

Waddle has Tua's sad self and Gesicki. (Parker just got off IR this week and Will Fuller is still on IR)
Smith has Jalen Hurts and Dallas Goedert after that... nothing
Moore is dealing with Mike White, Joe Freakin' Flaccid, Zac Wilson and Jamison Crowder.
St. Brown has Goff... who is awful, the Lions pathetic offense outside of Hockenson
Toney has Danny Dimes and the revolving door of injured guys like Shepard and Golladay.

So it isn't just that the league is shifting to Chase or doubling him since there is nothing to keep a defense from putting 3 guys on Waddle or Smith or etc...

This fall back to earth is something else and they need to figure out what it is since his targets are on pace with the others over the same time frame.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - rfaulk34 - 12-07-2021

(12-06-2021, 07:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't know about Burrow being a bust but after that game by Ja'marr and with the six sacks, Team Chase should shut the hell up this week.

Why? Because the line that had been playing well and opening up running lanes was missing 40% of their starters?

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Nicomo Cosca - 12-07-2021

At the end of the day Ja’Marr just needs to catch the damn ball, and make the most of his opportunities like he did the first couple months of the season, but since he was directly asked the question I found his answer kind of interesting…

Taylor and Callahan could definitely do a better job at moving him around more.

(12-07-2021, 01:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why? Because the line that had been playing well and opening up running lanes was missing 40% of their starters?

Not to dive down this never ending hole again, but the general concern with the line included not only starters but a lack of quality depth. 

Hill might be good someday (unlikely from a 7th rounder but not impossible) but it takes time for rookie OL guys to get up to speed for the NFL in most every case. 

Just seems like the team is constantly stuck in this never ending cycle of the line just isn't good enough or deep enough (don't be a pervert Faulk!) and it ends up holding them back.

(12-07-2021, 02:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: At the end of the day Ja’Marr just needs to catch the damn ball, and make the most of his opportunities like he did the first couple months of the season, but since he was directly asked the question I found his answer kind of interesting…

Cloud coverage takes away the deep balls.

In "cloud" coverage, one cornerback and two safeties handle the deep part of the field.

This should result in a lot of underneath stuff, but that isn't happening.

Play calling? Lack of seperation? Both?

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - rfaulk34 - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 03:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Not to dive down this never ending hole again, but the general concern with the line included not only starters but a lack of quality depth. 

Hill might be good someday (unlikely from a 7th rounder but not impossible) but it takes time for rookie OL guys to get up to speed for the NFL in most every case. 

Just seems like the team is constantly stuck in this never ending cycle of the line just isn't good enough or deep enough (don't be a pervert Faulk!) and it ends up holding them back.

That's askin a lot.  Cool

(12-07-2021, 03:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's askin a lot.  Cool

Ohhh I know, that's why I had to go ahead and toss that one out there right away.  Tongue

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - jj22 - 12-07-2021

It was unrealistic for Chase to keep up the pace he set the first 7 weeks.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Nately120 - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 10:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: It was unrealistic for Chase to keep up the pace he set the first 7 weeks.

True, but he doesnt need to go all "football follies" when he's open and the ball hits him in the hands. 

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - jj22 - 12-07-2021

True, hopefully he doesn't fully regress to preseason form.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - NotBigzo - 12-08-2021

(12-07-2021, 01:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why? Because the line that had been playing well and opening up running lanes was missing 40% of their starters?

Because his touchdown turned pick looked like something from The Looneu Toons cartoons you watched as a kid, ya boomer.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - rfaulk34 - 12-08-2021

(12-08-2021, 02:09 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Because his touchdown turned pick looked like something from The Looneu Toons cartoons you watched as a kid, ya boomer.

I'm GenX, dillwad.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - WeezyBengal - 12-08-2021

Everyone is talking about Chase lack of production, but the plays have been there. He has just dropped balls.

He has dropped multiple TD passes in the Browns game, the Jets game, and the Chargers game. Dude is an elite route runner but he isn't getting nearly enough shit for his drops this year. They've been devastating at times.

This is a good article on it including the drop videos that I was talking about:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/film-breakdown-how-defenses-are-taking-away-bengals-star-jamarr-chase

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - TecmoBengals - 12-08-2021

Comments from Chase in an nfl.com article: https://www.nfl.com/news/ja-marr-chase-on-recent-struggles-i-would-love-to-move-around-more-to-open-up-be

Quote:'I would love to move around more' to 'open up' Bengals' offense.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Tony - 12-08-2021

(12-07-2021, 02:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: At the end of the day Ja’Marr just needs to catch the damn ball, and make the most of his opportunities like he did the first couple months of the season, but since he was directly asked the question I found his answer kind of interesting…

You could find way more creative ways to get this guy in space and involved... It's to the point where Burrow is starting to lock on to Higgins now...

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - CanadianBengal - 12-09-2021

Chase has been pretty impressive for a rookie with his route running, burst, run after the catch and his blocking. The drops are a serious issue though and he has had a lot of big ones.

The other area he has not impressed me with is on contested catches. He waits for the ball to come to him and does not high point it. Higgins TD catch last week was a great example of going up for the ball. Chase is usually past his man, but when the DB is close enough to get a hand on it -- Chase does not go up and get it blocking out the DB. That was Aj's greatest attribute. Dalton underthrew him every deep pass but AJ went and got it. Chase can't lump like AJ or has his height but he needs to go get the ball. His contested catch rate is terrible

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - jason - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 10:31 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Chase has been pretty impressive for a rookie with his route running, burst, run after the catch and his blocking. The drops are a serious issue though and he has had a lot of big ones.

The other area he has not impressed me with is on contested catches. He waits for the ball to come to him and does not high point it. Higgins TD catch last week was a great example of going up for the ball. Chase is usually past his man, but when the DB is close enough to get a hand on it -- Chase does not go up and get it blocking out the DB. That was Aj's greatest attribute. Dalton underthrew him every deep pass but AJ went and got it. Chase can't lump like AJ or has his height but he needs to go get the ball. His contested catch rate is terrible

Ja'Marr Chase's vertical was 5.5 inches higher than AJ Green's. He can definitely get up there. Higgins and Green are quite a bit taller than Ja'Marr though. Chase had a 41... That's one inch lower than Dominique Wilkins... Two less than Vince Carter.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - XenoMorph - 12-10-2021

(12-08-2021, 03:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Comments from Chase in an nfl.com article: https://www.nfl.com/news/ja-marr-chase-on-recent-struggles-i-would-love-to-move-around-more-to-open-up-be

doesnt seem like a problem an offense guru would have.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - TecmoBengals - 12-12-2021

It was nice to see Chase get back on track today. 5 receptions, 77 yards, and 2 TDs. He had some close ones that had he caught them, he'd have had over 100 yards and 3 TDs.

RE: The Ja'Marr Chase Thread - Bengalfan4life27c - 12-13-2021

(12-12-2021, 10:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It was nice to see Chase get back on track today.  5 receptions, 77 yards, and 2 TDs. He had some close ones that had he caught them, he'd have had over 100 yards and 3 TDs.

He has the TD record barring injury the yardage record an outside chance at the receptions record. He said night of the draft he was breaking all the records so far he has backed it up.