Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
No Go Joe - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: No Go Joe (/Thread-No-Go-Joe)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: No Go Joe - NUGDUKWE - 08-18-2021

(08-17-2021, 11:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My only issue with it being the 2nd game is, it breaks up the "evaluation" games. Before, they would play 2 games with mostly backups, play a 3rd game with mostly starters then a 4th game for guys needing that last push to make a roster. 

If they do the dress rehearsal in the 2nd week now, they have backups week one, starters week 2, backups week 3 and then just a bunch of practices leading up to the week of game #1. 

Two weeks of backups, followed by a week of starters, then about 7 days of practice for the end of roster guys, before they start prepping for Minny, makes more sense to me. 

I agree. But we'll have to see how teams handle it. I think we went down to 3 preseason games because of the 17th game being added and I'm sure the players wouldn't like it if all they did was get rid of the 4th preseason game that the backups play.

RE: No Go Joe - NUGDUKWE - 08-18-2021

(08-17-2021, 11:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Here's the issue I have with him sitting out all preseason.

I have no clue how many people here have played competitive football at any level but once you play in college even at a division II or III school there is a huge difference between 11 on 11 practice against your teammates and going against another team. It's a totally different feel and a different speed. As a DB, I never went full throttle in practice against my own guys, didn't want to hurt a teammate in practice. Playing against another team, literally do whatever it takes to dislodge the ball.

Right now, there are multiple reports that Burrow is uncomfortable in pocket. He is uncomfortable in a pocket against his own team, when he, you, me and everyone on the planet knows he will not get touched. So, the time for him to try and get comfortable is now like against the Dolphins. They won't be going all out blitz trying to win a game, but he'll be touched and he'll realize he is okay. 

If the Bengals let him sit all preseason, they are painting a huge target on him for week 1. If I'm a coach or player for Minnesota and the kid doesn't play and you know they've seen the same reports about him being uncomfortable in the pocket, he'll end up getting a shot low, early. NFL teams aren't dumb, if they can rattle him, the offense is done. 

So, would you rather him get comfortable in a meaningless game, or watch him get his 1st live snaps week 1 with a defense playing for the win, and going for the kill.  
That does bring up a good point that I didn't think of with those reports out there he could be getting blitzed like crazy. But he probably will regardless if he plays now. It might be a rough 2-3 weeks offensively to start the season. The Oline and Burrow are gonna have to sink or swim real quick.

RE: No Go Joe - fredtoast - 08-18-2021

(08-18-2021, 08:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much my thoughts.... I'd get him at least a couple series against the Phins. 

Same here.

I believe this is what will happen.

RE: No Go Joe - Murdock2420 - 08-18-2021

(08-18-2021, 09:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Out of curiousity, I looked it up just to see if I could find it.  I'm not seeing it.

2012 - 16 games played
2013 - 16 games played
2014 - 16 games played
2015 - 7 games played
2016 - 15 games played
2017 - Missed entire season
2018 - 16 games played

At first look, I thought maybe you were referring to 2015.  But he didn't get hurt until week 4.  Up until that point he had never missed a game.  In 2017 he never saw action.  I can't find anywhere where he was held out of the preseason and then got hurt in week 1.

Also, the obvious question is, even if he was hurt in week 1 after sitting out, how can you prove that occurred because he was nervous, or jittery, or rusty, and it wasn't just like every other injury, pure chance?

I thought it was 2015 where he was recovering from an injury in 2014 post season and missed all preseason then went down again.

It don't know if it was bout jitters or about if it is going to happen it is going to happen but that was about the time Luck did start to look uncomfortable in the pocket. 

I also know it is a commonly stated thing from former players that if you try to protect a part of your body you start doing things that aren't natural and that leads to more injuries. 

RE: No Go Joe - rfaulk34 - 08-18-2021

(08-18-2021, 10:08 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree. But we'll have to see how teams handle it. I think we went down to 3 preseason games because of the 17th game being added and I'm sure the players wouldn't like it if all they did was get rid of the 4th preseason game that the backups play.

Yup.

RE: No Go Joe - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-19-2021

I wonder if Charger fans are as concerned about Justin Herbert not playing in the preseason to knock the rust off and throwing lame ducks in the first game?

RE: No Go Joe - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-19-2021

(08-18-2021, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same here.

I believe this is what will happen.

You're most likely right....at least I hope so. 

RE: No Go Joe - sandwedge - 08-19-2021

I think we will Joe a series or 2 against the fish

RE: No Go Joe - Nately120 - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 12:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I wonder if Charger fans are as concerned about Justin Herbert not playing in the preseason to knock the rust off and throwing lame ducks in the first game?

We all have our worries.  I'd wager they are worried if he will have a sophomore slump while we worry if Burrow can avoid the shell shock of coming back from a major injury.

RE: No Go Joe - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think we will Joe a series or 2 against the fish

Same, get him SOME snaps anyways.

RE: No Go Joe - TJ528 - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 12:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I wonder if Charger fans are as concerned about Justin Herbert not playing in the preseason to knock the rust off and throwing lame ducks in the first game?

I wonder if Charger fans are concerned about Huber not playing because he was AFC Rookie of the Year last year, and played the entire season and didnt have a mangled knee like Joe Burrow?  I'll take it one step further, which QB do you think feels safer behind their OL Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert?  As much as the Chargers signed on the OL in FA i'd be pretty happy if i were the QB in LA or RB. 

RE: No Go Joe - Sled21 - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 05:52 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I wonder if Charger fans are concerned about Huber not playing because he was AFC Rookie of the Year last year, and played the entire season and didnt have a mangled knee like Joe Burrow?  I'll take it one step further, which QB do you think feels safer behind their OL Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert?  As much as the Chargers signed on the OL in FA i'd be pretty happy if i were the QB in LA or RB. 

That Huber sure is a talented punter... didn't even know he played QB Hilarious Ninja

RE: No Go Joe - Frank Booth - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 05:52 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I wonder if Charger fans are concerned about Huber not playing because he was AFC Rookie of the Year last year, and played the entire season and didnt have a mangled knee like Joe Burrow?  I'll take it one step further, which QB do you think feels safer behind their OL Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert?  As much as the Chargers signed on the OL in FA i'd be pretty happy if i were the QB in LA or RB. 

Yea but do the chargers have Frank freaking Pollack?

I don’t think so

RE: No Go Joe - GodFather - 08-19-2021

After reading the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Joe having constipation issues Ninja

RE: No Go Joe - wanga - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 07:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: After reading the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Joe having constipation issues Ninja

Joe Burrow does not get constipation, constipation gets Joe Burrow. 

RE: No Go Joe - Nately120 - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 07:03 PM)wanga Wrote: Joe Burrow does not get constipation, constipation gets Joe Burrow. 

Burrow's bowels are already the best bowls a Bengals QB has ever had.

Side note, I accidentally wrote BUTTOW, and right now I accidentally wrote ASSidentially.  

RE: No Go Joe - chopperbobby - 08-19-2021

He did fairly well last year with out reps. Keep him out. Don’t want him hurt by a guy that is trying to make a roster. Let’s use the next two games to get the line straight so he is protected when he goes in.

RE: No Go Joe - wanga - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 10:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Burrow's bowels are already the best bowls a Bengals QB has ever had.

Side note, I accidentally wrote BUTTOW, and right now I accidentally wrote ASSidentially.  

You seem to be getting your bowels and vowels mixed up Nate

RE: No Go Joe - Shake n Blake - 08-21-2021

(08-17-2021, 10:56 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I don't think Palmer's was worse. If it was, how so?

"Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2290239

...and again, Carson's happened much later in the season, and surgery wasn't as advanced 15 years ago. Not to mention the dude had a ligament from a cadaver in his leg. Yeah I think it's safe to say Palmer's knee injury was worse in just about every way.

RE: No Go Joe - Big_Ern - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 03:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: "Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2290239

...and again, Carson's happened much later in the season, and surgery wasn't as advanced 15 years ago. Not to mention the dude had a ligament from a cadaver in his leg. Yeah I think it's safe to say Palmer's knee injury was worse in just about every way.

Burrow suffered a torn ACL and MCL along with damage to his PCL and meniscus along with other structural damage.  His also looked worse 

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/joe-burrows-teammate-shares-honest-admission-on-knee 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/23/report-mri-shows-joe-burrows-knee-injury-is-even-worse-than-believed/ 

They were probably about the same all things considered.