Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
To spoil or not to spoil - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: To spoil or not to spoil (/Thread-To-spoil-or-not-to-spoil)

Pages: 1 2 3

To spoil or not to spoil - bfine32 - 04-29-2022

This time of year we always have a debate about folks leaking the pick before it is announced on network TV. There's some debate on this in the "WELCOME DAX" and I just wanted to throw out my $0.02.

There's a thread (it's OFFICIAL and everything) where the draft is discussed:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Official-2022-NFL-Draft-Thread

This is a thread where board members have gone for years to discuss the draft as it happens on either ESPN or NFLN. Every year there's a member who feels they must share with folks information once they get it on services such as twittwer, news feds, ect...I assume they think those that want to discuss the draft don't have access to such sites. NEWSFLASH: They do, but prefer to discuss the picks as they happen on TV.

I will say for the most part last night was relatively "spoiler free". There were a couple wanna be Ian Rapoports "breaking trades" before they were announced on TV, but the picks were never spoiled.

Then we have the issue of Welcome DAX. I get the desire to be first, but can we posted it such as WELCOME PICK 31 or WELCOME 2nd ROUNDER...Then later as the OP you have the ability to go back and change the title to the players name.

Of course I can make no demands, simply ask. If you want to discuss the draft as it unfolds on ESPN/NFLN please do so. If you want to be the first to deliver breaking news, perhaps we can start a separate "Breaking news" thread.

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - Rubekahn29 - 04-29-2022

(04-29-2022, 01:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This time of year we always have a debate about folks leaking the pick before it is announced on network TV. There's some debate on this in the "WELCOME DAX" and I just wanted to throw out my $0.02.

There's a thread (it's OFFICIAL and everything) where the draft is discussed:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Official-2022-NFL-Draft-Thread

This is a thread where board members have gone for years to discuss the draft as it happens on either ESPN or NFLN. Every year there's a member who feels they must share with folks information once they get it on services such as twittwer, news feds, ect...I assume they think those that want to discuss the draft don't have access to such sites. NEWSFLASH: They do, but prefer to discuss the picks as they happen on TV.

I will say for the most part last night was relatively "spoiler free". There were a couple wanna be Ian Rapoports "breaking trades" before they were announced on TV, but the picks were never spoiled.

Then we have the issue of Welcome DAX. I get the desire to be first, but can we posted it such as WELCOME PICK 31 or WELCOME 2nd ROUNDER...Then later as the OP you have the ability to go back and change the title to the players name.

Of course I can make no demands, simply ask. If you want to discuss the draft as it unfolds on ESPN/NFLN please do so. If you want to be the first to deliver breaking news, perhaps we can start a separate "Breaking news" thread.

It’s the 21st century. You can do your part by staying off of the internet altogether if you want to be surprised. I don’t think it’s anyones responsibility to not say anything until it happens on tv. You’re talking about maybe a 3-5 minute difference. If you can’t wait 3-5 minutes to check the board then you really need to live with the “spoilers.”

I say this as someone who wanted to be surprised myself when the Bengals picked, so when it got to pick 29, I stayed off the board.

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - CloeHokie - 04-29-2022

I've got a really smart plan my brain came up with all by itself.

If you don't want to get spoiled don't look at the Internet during the draft. I know it's a hard plan to grasp but it worked so well for spiderman and every other thing in my life I don't want spoiled I gave it a shot. And wouldn't ya know I didn't get spoiled

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - bfine32 - 04-29-2022

(04-29-2022, 01:11 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It’s the 21st century. You can do your part by staying off of the internet altogether if you want to be surprised. I don’t think it’s anyones responsibility to not say anything until it happens on tv. You’re talking about maybe a 3-5 minute difference. If you can’t wait 3-5 minutes to check the board then you really need to live with the “spoilers.”

I say this as someone who wanted to be surprised myself when the Bengals picked, so when it got to pick 29, I stayed off the board.

Nowhere did I say it was anyone's responsibility to not say anything before it happens. I simply suggested it stay out of the thread that discusses he draft as it happens on TV. It's why I suggested a separate breaking news thread. There you guys can show each other how "tuned in" you are.

For years folks have liked to discuss the draft as it happens with folks they've talked draft all year in the "Draft Thread". It's kinda hard to do that and stay off the forum. It's really not that hard to show how savvy you are in a separate thread

(04-29-2022, 01:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nowhere did I say it was anyone's responsibility to not say anything before it happens. I simply suggested it stay out of the thread that discusses he draft as it happens on TV. It's why I suggested a separate breaking news thread. There you guys can show each other how "tuned in" you are.

For years folks have liked to discuss the draft as it happens with folks they've talked draft all year in the "Draft Thread". It's kinda hard to do that and stay off the forum. It's really not that hard to show how savvy you are in a separate thread

Lol. It’s simple, don’t want spoiled, don’t get on the internet. I know change is hard for some people, but sometimes people need to adapt and not be the old man that yell at the clouds. You’re not going to get everyone to fit into your box and specific threads, so you might as well adapt before you drive yourself insane.

I don’t post stuff from Twitter, but I’m not going to be mad at someone when this technology is available to anyone who has access to this board.

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - Bengalpool - 04-29-2022

I have a great idea. Two threads. One for people watching on TV. And another thread for the people who like to use the internet to tip picks? I don't understand the backlash. The majority of us prefer that you don't tip the picks, so please don't tip the picks.

(04-29-2022, 01:27 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: I have a great idea. Two threads. One for people watching on TV. And another thread for the people who like to use the internet to tip picks? I don't understand the backlash. The majority of us prefer that you don't tip the picks, so please don't tip the picks.

It’s not tipping picks as the picks have already happened. There is no reason to lash out at someone who is just saying what has already happened. It’s not like they have insider information that is not available to the public.

(04-29-2022, 01:29 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It’s not tipping picks as the picks have already happened. There is no reason to lash out at someone who is just saying what has already happened. It’s not like they have insider information that is not available to the public.

The majority of us watch the picks live on TV. Soooo yes. You're tipping the picks. This isn't hard to grasp. What do you not get? 

(04-29-2022, 01:31 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: The majority of us watch the picks live on TV. Soooo yes. You're tipping the picks. This isn't hard to grasp. What do you not get? 

Oh I get it, you like to see it happen live. You’re ability to watch it happen live is not infringed by anyone on this board. You are in complete control of being “spoiled.” That’s not hard to grasp. What do you not get?

I hope y’all weren’t also the ones spoiling free agency acquisitions until they were all reported by the tv.

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - SunsetBengal - 04-29-2022

(04-29-2022, 01:29 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It’s not tipping picks as the picks have already happened. There is no reason to lash out at someone who is just saying what has already happened. It’s not like they have insider information that is not available to the public.

Except, he's not "lashing out" at anyone.  The OP, and the poster that you replied to were simply asking folks to not tip pick in threads.  If anything, it's now appearing as if YOU are the one lashing out at folks who simply request that people who like to know "ahead of time", simply keep it to themselves for the benefit of others who are enjoying watching it on TV.

(04-29-2022, 01:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Except, he's not "lashing out" at anyone.  The OP, and the poster that you replied to were simply asking folks to not tip pick in threads.  If anything, it's now appearing as if YOU are the one lashing out at folks who simply request that people who like to know "ahead of time", simply keep it to themselves for the benefit of others who are enjoying watching it on TV.

I don’t mean OP as lashing out, I mean everyone in the other threads jumping down others throats for supposed “spoilers.”

(04-29-2022, 01:34 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Oh I get it, you like to see it happen live. You’re ability to watch it happen live is not infringed by anyone on this board. You are in complete control of being “spoiled.” That’s not hard to grasp. What do you not get?

I hope y’all weren’t also the ones spoiling free agency acquisitions until they were all reported by the tv.

You're impossible lol. I could see you traveling to a foreign country and expecting everyone to speak English because you (the minority) speak English. 

If you enjoy seeing the picks online before they're seen live on TV, does it really bother you to allow it to be announced on TV before you post about it, or do you just HAVE TO BE "ME FIRST ME FIRST".  

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - CloeHokie - 04-29-2022

(04-29-2022, 01:31 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: The majority of us watch the picks live on TV. Soooo yes. You're tipping the picks. This isn't hard to grasp. What do you not get? 

Have your cake and eat it too. You want to watch it on TV but not be spoiled by the Internet? 

I don't get spoiler people. If you don't want to be spoiled and you know the information is out there don't go look at it. 

People are going to look things up online. And they are going to report them to be "cool" or "first" 

Is that annoying? Yeah. But I can't change people or what they like to do. All you can change is yourself. Stop trying to control everyone else and focus on yourself and what you can do to be happy

(04-29-2022, 01:37 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Have your cake and eat it too. You want to watch it on TV but not be spoiled by the Internet? 

I don't get spoiler people. If you don't want to be spoiled and you know the information is out there don't go look at it. 

People are going to look things up online. And they are going to report them to be "cool" or "first" 

Is that annoying? Yeah. But I can't change people or what they like to do. All you can change is yourself. Stop trying to control everyone else and focus on yourself and what you can do to be happy
You act as if this message board is the entire internet. 

By controlling everyone, do you mean the 1 or 2 guys that do this? You're saying the majority of us that don't want the picks tipped, should everyone just log off of here during the draft? GREAT IDEA!

(04-29-2022, 01:37 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: You're impossible lol. I could see you traveling to a foreign country and expecting everyone to speak English because you (the minority) speak English. 

If you enjoy seeing the picks online before they're seen live on TV, does it really bother you to allow it to be announced on TV, or do you just HAVE TO BE "ME FIRST ME FIRST".  

Except I have no once posted a pick in the draft thread. Also, I think you have it backwards. Because I’m not the one asking others to accommodate me. Because nothing that is posted on this board is preventing you from being surprised live on tv. Again, I know change is hard for many, but just because you fail to adapt like the one in the foreign country, doesn’t mean those who speak the foreign language (those who know and choose to use technology to their advantage) have to accommodate your outdated wishes.

Nice try with the analogy though.

RE: To spoil or not to spoil - Synric - 04-29-2022

This Board's policy is to not announce picks until they are on TV. Doesnt matter if you agree with that or not. How do I know? I was suspended for 72 hours from announcing a pick early.

(04-29-2022, 01:40 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: You act as if this message board is the entire internet. 

By controlling everyone, do you mean the 1 or 2 guys that do this? You're saying the majority of us that don't want the picks tipped, should just log off of here during the draft. GREAT IDEA!

They are using very public information to share what they learned. Maybe you all should start like an AOL or MSN chat line just for those who don’t want to be “spoiled.” Yes if you don’t want spoiled, stay off the internet. It’s not hard.

Now keep in mind, I’m not one who spoils, but I’m not going to be a grumpy old man/woman about it either. If this is what upsets you, you really ought to rethink your investment.

(04-29-2022, 01:41 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Except I have no once posted a pick in the draft thread. Also, I think you have it backwards. Because I’m not the one asking others to accommodate me. Because nothing that is posted on this board is preventing you from being surprised live on tv. Again, I know change is hard for many, but just because you fail to adapt like the one in the foreign country, doesn’t mean those who speak the foreign language (those who know and choose to use technology to their advantage) have to accommodate your outdated wishes.

Nice try with the analogy though.

You are literally asking the majority of posters on here to adapt to this change. There aren't many who would agree with you here. That's the problem.

(04-29-2022, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: This Board's policy is to not announce picks until they are on TV. Doesnt matter if you agree with that or not. How do I know? I was suspended for 72 hours from announcing a pick early.

Well it’s a good thing I’ve never done that. I can still disagree with the policy without breaking it.

(04-29-2022, 01:43 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: You are literally asking the majority of posters on here to adapt to this change. There aren't many who would agree with you here. That's the problem.

The majority of people also thought smoking was cool back in the day. Doesn’t mean they are right or should be adhered to.