Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Roe Vs Wade Overturned (/Thread-Roe-Vs-Wade-Overturned)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - BigPapaKain - 06-28-2022

(06-28-2022, 02:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Good grief, the hysteria is comical....

Only if you ignore Clarence's remarks.

*checks your post history*

Oh right.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - michaelsean - 06-28-2022

(06-28-2022, 08:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: See, where I fall on these things is not having the government have a law AGAINST something that doesn't affect anyone else.

Abortion.  Personal choice.  Will not affect another person.

So if a business wants to fire you for getting an abortion I'd be against that.

Vaccines.  Personal choice BUT can affect people around you.

So if businesses mandate the vaccine and you refuse for no other reason than you're autonomy then that's on you...but you run the risk of affecting your coworkers and/or customers.

How about just getting pregnant?

If a business says single women can't get pregnant and they fire you for it that's on you too...but you aren't affecting anyone else so I disagree with it.

It's a fine line.

Edit:  This said it better than I did.

[Image: 290360197_475287311309940_47626867733562...e=62C17D3F]

Not sure what being white has to do with anything, but anyway what is the guy’s suggestion? Either you draft a new constitution or you follow the one you have. Should we listen to the white dudes when they say you have to have a fair trial and are entitled to representation? How about search and seizure? Can we just ignore that because some white slave owners said the government can’t do that without a warrant?

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-28-2022

(06-28-2022, 09:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not sure what being white has to do with anything, but anyway what is the guy’s suggestion?  Either you draft a new constitution or you follow the one you have.  Should we listen to the white dudes when they say you have to have a fair trial and are entitled to representation?  How about search and seizure?  Can we just ignore that because some white slave owners said the government can’t do that without a warrant?

Excellent post.  Don't expect a coherent answer though, he'll just dodge and obfuscate before taking his ball and going home again.

(06-28-2022, 04:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Would you say that owning slaves made a person an inherently bad person?  Would such behavior taint everything else said person did?

Bad or not, it does not negate their intellectual contributions. I don’t know the histories of all the great philosophers and scientists, but I’m guessing most did things that would be deemed awful by today’s standards.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - GMDino - 06-28-2022

(06-28-2022, 09:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not sure what being white has to do with anything, but anyway what is the guy’s suggestion?  Either you draft a new constitution or you follow the one you have.  Should we listen to the white dudes when they say you have to have a fair trial and are entitled to representation?  How about search and seizure?  Can we just ignore that because some white slave owners said the government can’t do that without a warrant?

Wasn't it Jefferson who suggested a new constitution every so often?

https://classroom.synonym.com/

Quote:In an 1816 letter to Virginia lawyer Samuel Kercheval on the subject of calling a convention to revise the state's constitution, Jefferson stated that a constitution should be revised every 19 to 20 years. Jefferson's proposed time period was based on the era's mortality rate. Since a majority of adults at any point in time would likely be dead in approximately 19 years, he reasoned, a new generation should have the right to adapt its government to changing circumstances instead of being ruled by the past.

Like I said though rights that help people live better lives vs taking away rights and writing laws that deny people those rights.

Sure they got things right and wrong.  In the end they were still were not caring about any except people like themselves.  It's a tough pill for some to swallow, but its true.  We can't change that they were that way.  That's the way it was at that time.

That we eventually gave those same rights to most people isn't the point.

Look at the proud boys and their ilk complaining about prisons and how they are treated.  Think they cared before it happened to them?  Of course not. 

So another decision is that Miranda doesn't matter anymore.  Police don't have read you your rights when the arrest you. Was that a good decision?  Some would say no as most people may not know their rights.  Some would say yes because they don't want the police being sued.  

Personally I think that's a bad decision because it takes away a protection for people.  But there are those who will disagree because there was a "legal basis" for it.

As I said, fine line but I will always side with equality and protecting people over "it isn't in there" arguments. Which I know you weren't making but has been made.

(06-28-2022, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wasn't it Jefferson who suggested a new constitution every so often?

Like I said though rights that help people live better lives vs taking away rights and writing laws that deny people those rights.

Sure they got things right and wrong.  In the end they were still were not caring about any except people like themselves.  It's a tough pill for some to swallow, but its true.  We can't change that they were that way.  That's the way it was at that time.

Look at the proud boys and their ilk complaining about prisons and how they are treated.  Think they cared before it happened to them?  Of course not. 

So another decision is that Miranda doesn't matter anymore.  Police don't have read you your rights when the arrest you. Was that a good decision?  Some would say no as most people may not know their rights.  Some would say yes because they don't want the police being sued.  

Personally I think that's a bad decision because it takes away a protection for people.  But there are those who will disagree because there was a "legal basis" for it.

As I said, fine line but I will always side with equality and protecting people over "it isn't in there" arguments. Which I know you weren't making but has been made.

So tweet about a new constitution. Tweeting white guy things that seem clever means nothing.

I have no idea why Miranda was made a constitutional right. I have no problem with laws saying police have to inform people of their right, but I have no idea how it is seen as a right. Things like Miranda are what laws are for.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Belsnickel - 06-29-2022

To be fair, I am constantly saying we need a new constitution, but nobody listens to me. Pissed

Maybe it's because I'm white.

/s

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - GMDino - 06-29-2022

(06-28-2022, 10:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So tweet about a new constitution. Tweeting white guy things that seem clever means nothing.

I have no idea why Miranda was made a constitutional right. I have no problem with laws saying police have to inform people of their right, but I have no idea how it is seen as a right. Things like Miranda are what laws are for.
It's not to be "clever"...it's the truth.  He may have posted about a new constitution, that's neither here nor there...the tweet I shared reflected what I was trying to say about what was int he constitution and who it was about which is one reason abortion wasn't mentioned.
I agree there should be a law.  But I bet your salary that the police unions fight it tooth and nail, then there are the lawsuits and then it goes to the SC and they reject the "law" because they already said what they said.
Like trying to codify Roe v Wade when the gop just filibusters.  
It's not as easy as "there oughta be a law" sometimes.
But we agree it should have been left alone by the SC.  Then everyone has that right and we go right along.  

(06-28-2022, 09:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Excellent post.  Don't expect a coherent answer though, he'll just dodge and obfuscate before taking his ball and going home again.

Tongue

I remember when you and your buddy complained that I posted too much in this forum.  Cool

Now when I have other things to do I'm "taking my ball and going home".

You're funny.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sled21 - 06-29-2022

(06-28-2022, 08:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: You're so angry...lol.

Voting is all well and good, well until the gerrymandered districts are factored in.  And the gop members who won't even certify elections they lost until threatened with lawsuits.  And on and on...

Lots of things aren't there.  Including with the ever so precious 2A...but the courts "interpreted" it in a way that made it what it is today.  Same as abortion was made a right through an interpretation that this court didn't believe in.

Folks never like when then pendulum swings back.

They never will.

Man you are bad at reading people, I'm not angry at all. I'm loving this court. 

And sure the 2nd Amendment is there, it comes right after the 1st Amendment and before the 3rd.

Quote:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - KillerGoose - 06-29-2022

(06-28-2022, 04:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Would you say that owning slaves made a person an inherently bad person?  Would such behavior taint everything else said person did?

This is a fascinating question, and I don't think anyone has answered. A short answer would be YES  by modern standards. However, in the case of a person like Washington, or any other members of past society, the answer has to be no. We have to understand the societal norms of that period, as barbaric they may be in today's society, and use this understanding as a way to judge a person. 

(06-29-2022, 09:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Man you are bad at reading people, I'm not angry at all. I'm loving this court. 

And sure the 2nd Amendment is there, it comes right after the 1st Amendment and before the 3rd.

Yes all the typing in capital letter reflects...calm.

Anyway you didn't bold the entire thing.  I wonder why?

I bet you didn't read any of the source material I posted about the militia and slavery and 2A either.  About how it has been changed over time to to give people rights today that it may not have intended to give.

Maybe you did and just don't believe it?

(06-28-2022, 09:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Only if you ignore Clarence's remarks.

*checks your post history*

Oh right.

I give Clarence's remarks about as much weight as I give Sotomayor's. Read the opinion, it clearly states it is about abortion and should not be used as precedence for other decisions about other matters. 

(06-28-2022, 09:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote:
Not sure what being white has to do with anything,
but anyway what is the guy’s suggestion?  Either you draft a new constitution or you follow the one you have.  Should we listen to the white dudes when they say you have to have a fair trial and are entitled to representation?  How about search and seizure?  Can we just ignore that because some white slave owners said the government can’t do that without a warrant?

It's the left's go to anytime they lose an argument. Racism and sexism. Every time.

(06-28-2022, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wasn't it Jefferson who suggested a new constitution every so often?

Hate to tell you this, but Miranda never said you had to Mirandize someone you arrested. It only applies if you intend to question them after they are in custody.....

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Dill - 06-29-2022

(06-28-2022, 09:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Calm down, Sally.  You get butthurt on this board so often your casting the accusation at others is laughable.

That reminds me, you didn't answer my earlier question.  Since you seem to be obsessed with some of the Framers being slave owners, kindly answer this question.  Does being a slave owner automatically make you a horrible person?  Does it invalidate all of your beliefs and ideals?  Does it taint everything else you do in your life time?

Posing ethical questions in an unethical manner?

I'll put forward my own answer to these interesting questions.

1. From a viewpoint based upon deontological ethics and the liberal concept of universal individual human rights, yes, being a slave owner does automatically make one a horrible person. To contest that, while retaining the concept of universal human rights, one would have to adopt some form of situational ethics, perhaps combined with a CRT approach which roots racist behavior in institutions rather than random individuals who just choose to behave badly.  Embracing some form of illiberal ethics, one might conclude slave-owning isn't bad, so people practicing it aren't "horrible persons." I don't think there are other options. Which of these would you choose?  

2. Whether being a slave owner invalidates "all [one's] beliefs and ideals" depends on which and what kind beliefs/ideals we are talking about, and for whom. If Pythagoras owned slaves that would not invalidate the Pythagorean theorem. Hitler was a "horrible person" according to most Americans, but if he invented peanut butter that wouldn't make peanut butter a bad idea. 

3. Apparently, slave owning can "taint" at least SOME things "you do in your life time." E.g., if one claims universal human rights as an ideal, and founds a government based upon that ideal, but one's investment in slavery leads one to prevent realization of that ideal to retain one's human "property," there is some "taint" there. Also, one can be ok with slave-owning without actually owning slaves, and that can similarly "taint" one's behavior, especially voting behavior. I guess the answer is "no, it might not 'taint everything'" but it certainly can taint somethings, especially if pro-slavers construct law. So the question is whether and which might be tainted.

(06-29-2022, 09:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is a fascinating question, and I don't think anyone has answered. A short answer would be YES  by modern standards. However, in the case of a person like Washington, or any other members of past society, the answer has to be no. We have to understand the societal norms of that period, as barbaric they may be in today's society, and use this understanding as a way to judge a person. 

Basically the woke crowd wants to throw every history book away, because no one who lived before about 1970 was not flawed in their thinking, so nothing ever accomplished is worth celebrating or remembering. 

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - michaelsean - 06-29-2022

(06-29-2022, 06:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, I am constantly saying we need a new constitution, but nobody listens to me. Pissed

Maybe it's because I'm white.

I understand, and if that's the suggestion then make that suggestion.  

/s

(06-29-2022, 09:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is a fascinating question, and I don't think anyone has answered. A short answer would be YES  by modern standards. However, in the case of a person like Washington, or any other members of past society, the answer has to be no. We have to understand the societal norms of that period, as barbaric they may be in today's society, and use this understanding as a way to judge a person. 

A person who owned slaves may have had some good qualities.  But that doesn't mean we have to have our current generation operating under what they wanted when they were alive.

We have elevated the "Founding Fathers" to god like stature in some corners.  They were men.  Fallible. Imperfect.  

As I said George did all he could to keep his slaves.  Hard to believe he'd have thoughts on voting rights and such that would jive with today.

So when I say the Constitution was was written by white, slave owning men...it's the truth.  And those qualities, as well as any good one they had, are reflected in what they wanted to "rights".  So when the SC wants to go back to "originalist" thinking I have my doubts.

(06-29-2022, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's the left's go to anytime they lose an argument. Racism and sexism. Every time.

Or, you know, its true that it was all written by white men who had their own agenda.