Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Roe Vs Wade Overturned (/Thread-Roe-Vs-Wade-Overturned)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 11:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say it was pretty interesting seeing the list of damn near all the elected politicians in OH saying "Vote YES on this!" and then watching NO win by 14 points.  Given that, I guess it makes sense that they want to change things so a "regular majority" can't have its way.

It's not exactly shocking that elected officials don't always represent the preferences of the majority of their constituents.  It is interesting that red states such as Kansas and Ohio (yes, Ohio is a red state now, not a purple one) have delivered similar results on the abortion issue.  Unfortunately, being opposed to abortion is still going to be a litmus test for GOP presidential candidates, as I don't think opposition to it is a majority opinion in this nation.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - SunsetBengal - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 02:24 AM)pally Wrote: Well Ohio republicans tried to put an impediment in the way of voters in order to prevent a reproductive rights amendment on the ballot in Nov from passing.  Issue 1 sought to raise the vote percentage needed to approve state constitutional amendments from a simple majority to a 60% supermajority.  
The amendment was soundly rejected by Ohioans 57-43 so it remains a simple majority vote.

Coincidentally, or not, polling indicates that the reproductive rights amendment is expected to pass by about that same margin.

When a party gerrymanders themselves into a supermajority in the state legislature, sometimes they need a reminder that they don’t always represent a majority viewpoint.

Wife and I typically vote Republican, but we both voted no on issue 1.  It just seemed like a very pointed and short sighted proposition that also requested voters to give up rights to introduce initiatives to the ballot by way of petition.  So, there you have it from a conservative, we didn't like that attempt at a huge power grab, even by our own party.

(08-09-2023, 12:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wife and I typically vote Republican, but we both voted no on issue 1.  It just seemed like a very pointed and short sighted proposition that also requested voters to give up rights to introduce initiatives to the ballot by way of petition.  So, there you have it from a conservative, we didn't like that attempt at a huge power grab, even by our own party.

Kudos to you both.  It's almost like many/most GOP voters aren't the lockstep authoritarians they are portrayed as by the media.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Nately120 - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 01:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Kudos to you both.  It's almost like many/most GOP voters aren't the lockstep authoritarians they are portrayed as by the media.

Judging by the candidates who keep winning the primaries, I'm not convinced enough of them have fallen out of love with it yet, though.  Keep in mind, Ohio tried to pass this thing people apparently don't want, and until the people who said VOTE YES are voted out of office...well, tis mostly talk.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - pally - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 12:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wife and I typically vote Republican, but we both voted no on issue 1.  It just seemed like a very pointed and short sighted proposition that also requested voters to give up rights to introduce initiatives to the ballot by way of petition.  So, there you have it from a conservative, we didn't like that attempt at a huge power grab, even by our own party.

Thanks!

I've been saying all along that Issue 1 wasn't about abortion but it was simply the public face placed on the issue by the Republicans to gin up the base.  The real issue was power.  They wanted to block any future anti-gerrymandering attempts and then push their agenda unabated by us pesky voters

It should have never been a right vs left, liberal vs conservative issue...it was a legislature vs voter issue

(08-09-2023, 02:09 PM)pally Wrote: Thanks!

I've been saying all along that Issue 1 wasn't about abortion but it was simply the public face placed on the issue by the Republicans to gin up the base.  The real issue was power.  They wanted to block any future anti-gerrymandering attempts and then push their agenda unabated by us pesky voters

It should have never been a right vs left, liberal vs conservative issue...it was a legislature vs voter issue

I concur.  I would suppose you're against other naked power grabs like packing SCOTUS?

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - treee - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 03:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I concur.  I would suppose you're against other naked power grabs like packing SCOTUS?

Are you against naked power grabs like not fulfilling your constitutional duty to let the president nominate supreme court justices? Is anything other than "oh well guess we just have to deal with it now" hypocritical to you?

(08-09-2023, 04:05 PM)treee Wrote: Are you against naked power grabs like not fulfilling your constitutional duty to let the president nominate supreme court justices? Is anything other than "oh well guess we just have to deal with it now" hypocritical to you?

Yes, I am.  It's within the rules but it's clearly shady.  Any other questions?

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - pally - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 03:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I concur.  I would suppose you're against other naked power grabs like packing SCOTUS?

Yes and no...I am opposed to "packing the court" simply for political reasons.

However, the Federal Court system is vastly overloaded with cases to the point that it can take years for a case to be heard.  I also am against the ability to judge shop by filing cases where the plaintiff knows who the judge will be (see Matthew Kacsmaryk) so I believe there does need to be a shake-up among the Federal Court Districts.  They can build smaller districts by adding 2 or 3.  They can simply add judges to the current districts spread out the workload and allow more randomness in judge assignment.  I would also shake up the Supreme Court Justice assigned to each district to oversee.  Maybe have 3 justices assigned to each district so you never know who will decide on emergency orders.  But something needs to be done so the federal court system can move at tortoise speed vs glacier speed

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - GMDino - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 05:53 PM)pally Wrote: Yes and no...I am opposed to "packing the court" simply for political reasons.

However, the Federal Court system is vastly overloaded with cases to the point that it can take years for a case to be heard.  I also am against the ability to judge shop by filing cases where the plaintiff knows who the judge will be (see Matthew Kacsmaryk) so I believe there does need to be a shake-up among the Federal Court Districts.  They can build smaller districts by adding 2 or 3.  They can simply add judges to the current districts spread out the workload and allow more randomness in judge assignment.  I would also shake up the Supreme Court Justice assigned to each district to oversee.  Maybe have 3 justices assigned to each district so you never know who will decide on emergency orders.  But something needs to be done so the federal court system can move at tortoise speed vs glacier speed

And, oddly, I haven't seen a serious move toward packing the courts.  It's been discussed I think or at least mentioned by some Democrats but nothing to even remotely start the process.

Increasing the districts I think is something that has been discussed on the board before.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - samhain - 08-09-2023

Wisest piece of political advice ever given: When you want to give power to a government entity, first imagine the politician you hate the most in control of the same power.  it will happen eventually.   

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - samhain - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 10:09 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

I'm not saying I predicted it because I didn't, but the reaction to the end of Roe is pretty fascinating.  It seems like there's a decent sized chunk of people in this country who are vocally anti abortion but likely voting in ways that differ from their public speech.  It's all fun and games until the government starts getting serious about revoking rights that many in this country have had for the entirety of their lives.

Abortion isn't a pleasant concept.  It's kind of like a gun that a non gun person owns for home protection.  People hope they never have to use either one, because if they do things have gone horribly wrong.  However, if and when it gets to that point, it's better to have the option available when the need arises.

(08-09-2023, 10:17 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not saying I predicted it because I didn't, but the reaction to the end of Roe is pretty fascinating.  It seems like there's a decent sized chunk of people in this country who are vocally anti abortion but likely voting in ways that differ from their public speech.  It's all fun and games until the government starts getting serious about revoking rights that many in this country have had for the entirety of their lives.

Abortion isn't a pleasant concept.  It's kind of like a gun that a non gun person owns for home protection.  People hope they never have to use either one, because if they do things have gone horribly wrong.  However, if and when it gets to that point, it's better to have the option available when the need arises.

And there remains the possibility that they will go after other rights like gay marriage, interracial marriage and even birth control.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Mickeypoo - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 10:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: And there remains the possibility that they will go after other rights like gay marriage, interracial marriage and even birth control.

I think most people probably support those things, even if they may not agree, just like the vast majority support some kind of compromise on abortion.  I don't think it would gain any real traction.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:28 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I think most people probably support those things, even if they may not agree, just like the vast majority support some kind of compromise on abortion.  I don't think it would gain any real traction.

It's interesting to see many on the left use this slippery slope argument when they routinely reject in whenever it's used to argue against gun control. 

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - CJD - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's interesting to see many on the left use this slippery slope argument when they routinely reject in whenever it's used to argue against gun control. 

The Catholic church has, in official capacity, been against gay marriage and birth control for decades. It's not a leap to think religious people, if they had the ability to, would make those things illegal. In the case of gay marriage, it would be really simple to make illegal since it was just legalized less than 10 years ago. There are still politicians working today who were vehemently against the legalization of gay marriage.

Interracial marriage I'm not worried about though. That has gone to the wayside of conservative stances at this point, thankfully.
At least in most cases. I'm sure there's still a few nutjobs out there that hate the idea of "miscegenation."

Which is great for me, considering my wife is black.

One of the many successes of the passage of time is the gradual and frustratingly slow elimination of blatant racism from the mainstream. Among many other slow and gradual creeps to the left that occur over time (women's rights, workers' rights, gay rights, trans rights etc).

Now it's a lot more subtle racism  Ninja

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - GMDino - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Catholic church has, in official capacity, been against gay marriage and birth control for decades. It's not a leap to think religious people, if they had the ability to, would make those things illegal. In the case of gay marriage, it would be really simple to make illegal since it was just legalized less than 10 years ago. There are still politicians working today who were vehemently against the legalization of gay marriage.

Interracial marriage I'm not worried about though. That has gone to the wayside of conservative stances at this point, thankfully.
At least in most cases. I'm sure there's still a few nutjobs out there that hate the idea of "miscegenation."

One of the many successes of the passage of time is the gradual and frustratingly slow elimination of blatant racism from the mainstream. Among many other slow and gradual creeps to the left that occur over time (women's rights, workers' rights, gay rights, trans rights etc).

I wonder why they aren't against guns too?

Turn your swords into plowshares and all that.  

Maybe they are just against swords and not all weapons?

Smirk

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Catholic church has, in official capacity, been against gay marriage and birth control for decades. It's not a leap to think religious people, if they had the ability to, would make those things illegal. In the case of gay marriage, it would be really simple to make illegal since it was just legalized less than 10 years ago. There are still politicians working today who were vehemently against the legalization of gay marriage.

I think the appetite for overturning same sex marriage is far less then many believe.  I honestly don't think most people give it much thought.  You certainly don't see national stage politicians campaigning on the issue like you do with abortion.  Also same sex marriage has a much more solid foundation via the Constitution than then Roe decision.  You probably noticed both Bel and I, who are both pro-choice, pointed out that the argument in Roe was based on some rather tenuous legal logic.  As marriage carries with it major civil benefits, and for many people has nothing to do with any religion, it would be a major stretch for the SCOTUS to reverse course on that issue.  I agree about interracial marriage, that's a ship that has long since sailed.

As for racism in general, I see a lot more overt racism than you might expect.  But I do believe that people in general are far less racist then they used to be.  I'm definitely not a pro PC person, but my sister and I were talking just the other day about Sixteen Candles and "Long Duck Dong".  It's jaw dropping how overtly racist that was, intentionally or not.  You'd never see that today.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - CJD - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 12:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think the appetite for overturning same sex marriage is far less then many believe.  I honestly don't think most people give it much thought.  You certainly don't see national stage politicians campaigning on the issue like you do with abortion.  Also same sex marriage has a much more solid foundation via the Constitution than then Roe decision.  You probably noticed both Bel and I, who are both pro-choice, pointed out that the argument in Roe was based on some rather tenuous legal logic.  As marriage carries with it major civil benefits, and for many people has nothing to do with any religion, it would be a major stretch for the SCOTUS to reverse course on that issue.  I agree about interracial marriage, that's a ship that has long since sailed.

I genuinely appreciate the optimism, but I just want to emphasize that the ruling that essentially legalized gay marriage nationwide is only 8 years old. And it was only a 5-4 decision.

The 4 dissenting judges were Alito, Thomas, Roberts, and Scalia. 3 of those justices are still on the Supreme Court today. And, since that ruling, the court has become more conservative, with Ruth Bader Ginsburg being replaced by Amy Coney Barrett, a Roman Catholic from a particularly...unusual sect, the "People of Praise" who are on record saying they'd expel any members of their church that have engaged in gay sex of any kind.

And Clarence Thomas, in his concurring opinion on the Roe V Wade overturn, said he'd like the SCOTUS to reconsider decisions on gay marriage and contraception. 

If it somehow reached the Supreme Court again in the near future, I could definitely see a 5-4 opinion banning gay marriage being a possibility. Hopefully, Gorsuch would not follow Scalia's ruling, but you never know. And the one conservative judge that ruled in favor of gay marriage legalization, Anthony Kennedy, has since been replaced by Kavanaugh. I'm not certain he'd maintain Kennedy's vote either. His record on LGBT rights isn't exactly sterling, dissenting on Bostock v Clayton County (in which it was determined gay and transgender were protected identities in the workplace), along with Alito and Thomas.
Thankfully, Gorsuch was on the majority side of that opinion.

Ultimately, I think you're right that there is, at the moment, no real appetite to go after gay marriage and contraception. The right wing has focused their full force on Transgender people for the last few years. But, if they are successful in that arena (as they were with abortion), where do you think they are likely to cast their next focus?

Quote:As for racism in general, I see a lot more overt racism than you might expect.  But I do believe that people in general are far less racist then they used to be.  I'm definitely not a pro PC person, but my sister and I were talking just the other day about Sixteen Candles and "Long Duck Dong".  It's jaw dropping how overtly racist that was, intentionally or not.  You'd never see that today.

Yea, it's kind of crazy how far we've come in a relatively short period of time. I am not saying racism is dead. It's clearly still out there. I'm just saying now there are social consequences for being outwardly racist, whereas in the 60s and earlier (and for several decades later for a lot of people), racism was basically the mainstream stance.