Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Roe Vs Wade Overturned (/Thread-Roe-Vs-Wade-Overturned)

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Bengalzona - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 02:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just want to point out that I'm a libertarian who is disappointed both parties have agreed to eliminate any hope of a 3rd party having any effect or relevance since that whole Ross Perot wild card thing.  I'm bummed out because as I accepted that we won't get 3 parties, I'm also beginning to see an increased interest in further reducing our political choices to a guy who leans right versus a guy who leans further right.

My disdain for the GOP goes back to Reagan, but it's different in the sense that we are now seeing increasing legitimization of the reduction if not outright elimination of the democratic process and that just so happens to be via the side of the political coin that is able to win despite only having the minority of support because the majority is stupid and so on and so forth.

That's how I see it.  So even accepting that we need to have a set of rules where the minority can rule, the fact that the minority is choosing to go down the path is it is the issue.  Would I feel different if someone said that votes for Gary Johnson counted as 100,000 votes for Hillary or Trump?  Damn right, but that ain't so, so I don't.

So yea, I'm in the minority that is too minor to get those sweet minority benefits.  Ouch.

Except for the Libertarian part, I could have wrote that. And I respect the old school Libertarians (before they were co-oped by the neo-conservatives and became "Libertarian Lite").

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 04:09 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Part of that push may because all of your voting Righties keep moving over here to AZ. Apparently the voting Lefties are content with CA as is (no surprise, eh).

Please take them back. It's bad enough that we have the literally bat-shit crazy retirees from Oregon and Washington moving out here (Left and Right).

Thanks, appreciate it!

Dude, the people moving here are what ruined this state.  Also, trust that many of the leftists here are moving as the state is becoming unaffordable unless you make a very nice salary.

(06-27-2022, 04:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dude, the people moving here are what ruined this state.  Also, trust that many of the leftists here are moving as the state is becoming unaffordable unless you make a very nice salary.

True. It is the affordability factor that is driving most of the migration. It makes one wonder how on Earth the people in CA can afford paying those inflated prices.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if the old folks here would start migrating north again for six months the way they used to!

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Dill - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 03:57 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Then again, if Clarence Thomas' commentary is to be taken at face value, same sex marriage is next on the proverbial chopping block.

LOL But maybe not interracial marriage? 

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - pally - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 05:06 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL But maybe not interracial marriage? 

I dunno. Maybe he is fed up with his old lady and wants a legal way to ditch her without having to pay anything, eh.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - KillerGoose - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 05:12 PM)pally Wrote:

I expect to see some folks not happy about this. Joe hasn't been afraid to speak out on issues, but I don't remember him being this matter of fact about his beliefs. 

(06-27-2022, 05:05 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: True. It is the affordability factor that is driving most of the migration. It makes one wonder how on Earth the people in CA can afford paying those inflated prices.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if the old folks here would start migrating north again for six months the way they used to!

I bought my house just over two years ago.  It has almost doubled in value since then.  I couldn't afford my own home if I had to buy it from scratch right now.  But I do have a metric butt ton of equity now.

My thoughts.

It is a pretty unpopular decision among the populace. Only a minority are standing up to cheer about it. For the rest, it is just a condition based upon religion that is being forced on them. Alienation and insulation are ultimately not very good most religions, particularly when it appears that the group has sacrificed their purported ethics to arrange the situation.

The question is, "How will voters respond in the fall?". Offhand, I would think it would be a toss-up. But if the court continues with its uber-conservative agenda, I can't help but think there would be a sizeable backlash, even impacting areas the GOP thinks of as "safe".

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - KillerGoose - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 05:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I bought my house just over two years ago.  It has almost doubled in value since then.  I couldn't afford my own home if I had to buy it from scratch right now.  But I do have a metric butt ton of equity now.

We started a new build in January. Here in Oklahoma, prices were inflated but not horribly so yet. It's a 2,600 sq. ft. home for $432,500. 

The same house from the same builder is starting at over $500k right now. 

(06-27-2022, 05:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: We started a new build in January. Here in Oklahoma, prices were inflated but not horribly so yet. It's a 2,600 sq. ft. home for $432,500. 

The same house from the same builder is starting at over $500k right now. 

I bought my house for $492k in June 0f '20.  This was under market value because the owners had done zero maintenance on the house.  The place next door to me, which has a smaller floorplan, just sold last month for $805k.  I don't expect it to stay that high, and I don't care if it does as I'm not getting a HELOC or anything.  

(06-27-2022, 05:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I expect to see some folks not happy about this. Joe hasn't been afraid to speak out on issues, but I don't remember him being this matter of fact about his beliefs. 

I'm not really surprised he posted something. Joe, time and time again, has demonstrated he is not afraid to speak out on controversial subjects.  He has proven by his past words and actions that he is not a conservative so his stance is not surprising either

(06-27-2022, 05:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My thoughts.

It is a pretty unpopular decision among the populace. Only a minority are standing up to cheer about it. For the rest, it is just a condition based upon religion that is being forced on them. Alienation and insulation are ultimately not very good most religions, particularly when it appears that the group has sacrificed their purported ethics to arrange the situation.

The question is, "How will voters respond in the fall?". Offhand, I would think it would be a toss-up. But if the court continues with its uber-conservative agenda, I can't help but think there would be a sizeable backlash, even impacting areas the GOP thinks of as "safe".

The interesting question is would pro-choice people accept a federal law legalizing abortion, but only in the first trimester?  Public support for abortion really drops off the cliff after the first trimester.

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Lucidus - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 05:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My thoughts.

As frightening as the intentions of the Court's conservative majority and the Evangelical right appear to be in terms of things like abortion, contraception and same-sex marriage, it's not limited to those types of issues.

There is also a very real desire by the Evangelical right to erode the line between church and state, and with the Court's recent decisions in Carson v. Makin and Kennedy v. Bremerton, it seems the Court's conservative majority is in agreement.

These are all things voters will have to consider. They must decide how much they value and want to retain the implicit right to privacy, the freedom to enjoy bodily autonomy, the ability to legally marry anyone you want, the continued separation of church and state, etc.

(06-27-2022, 05:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I bought my house for $492k in June 0f '20.  This was under market value because the owners had done zero maintenance on the house.  The place next door to me, which has a smaller floorplan, just sold last month for $805k.  I don't expect it to stay that high, and I don't care if it does as I'm not getting a HELOC or anything.  

We bought at $199k in 9/20. We did a cash-out refi in 11/21 based on appraised value of $470k (figured it might be a good time to pull the equity and stash it with rate hikes on the horizon). The few local sales of similar homes are now sort of stalled around $530K. I suspect they will be going down from here. It's not reasonable or affordable for the area.

(06-27-2022, 05:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The interesting question is would pro-choice people accept a federal law legalizing abortion, but only in the first trimester?  Public support for abortion really drops off the cliff after the first trimester.

Not sure how it would sell to the public, but I know I would buy that. That has always been my cut-off (outside of medical exigency, of course). Three months is enough time for a decision, IMO. But then again, I'm a mean and insensitive former Army officer... LOL!

(06-27-2022, 06:29 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As frightening as the intentions of the Court's conservative majority and the Evangelical right appear to be in terms of things like abortion, contraception and same-sex marriage, it's not limited to those types of issues.

There is also a very real desire by the Evangelical right to erode the line between church and state, and with the Court's recent decisions in Carson v. Makin and Kennedy v. Bremerton, it seems the Court's conservative majority is in agreement.

These are all things voters will have to consider. They must decide how much they value and want to retain the implicit right to privacy, the freedom to enjoy bodily autonomy, the ability to legally marry anyone you want, the continued separation of church and state, etc.

Yeah, I probably should have directed my commentary more to the religious factor rather than towards a conservative agenda as a whole. I sense there is much more tolerance for the conservative agenda by itself compared to the agenda combined with the religious factor.

(06-27-2022, 08:04 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Not sure how it would sell to the public, but I know I would buy that. That has always been my cut-off (outside of medical exigency, of course). Three months is enough time for a decision, IMO. But then again, I'm a mean and insensitive former Army officer... LOL!

It would also bring us in line with the vast majority of Europe.  It'd be interesting to raise the idea.  I'd like to see the same people who've told me for years to accept limits on my 2nd amendment rights try and argue against "common sense" restrictions on abortion

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - Sled21 - 06-27-2022

(06-24-2022, 05:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5 people none of us have ever voted for just took rights away from half the country.

Does not sit right with me.

This is the type of shit that makes people feel like a cornered animal and makes them lash out

5 people just stated it'snot in the Constitution.  Can you point out where it is?

RE: Roe Vs Wade Overturned - michaelsean - 06-27-2022

(06-27-2022, 05:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I expect to see some folks not happy about this. Joe hasn't been afraid to speak out on issues, but I don't remember him being this matter of fact about his beliefs. 

Not many. These are pretty standard exclusions held by the vast majority of people. That being said, I don’t really care about the politics of athletes as long as they aren’t extreme nut bags. And then still not much.

(06-27-2022, 09:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote:   5 people just stated it'snot in the Constitution.  Can you point out where it is?

In 1973 7 Justices said it was covered by the Constitution