Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Uh oh Joe Mixon - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Uh oh Joe Mixon (/Thread-Uh-oh-Joe-Mixon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Luvnit2 - 03-31-2023

After reading Katie's comments (normally FO is very tight lipped), IMHO Katie is letting Joe know he needs to restructure of be a post June 1st cut or trade,

He has huge contract next 2 years, not just 2023 Bengals may want off the books. Less dead cap if move post June 1, 2023.

Bengals also have draft and FA. Couple of vet backs available in Hunt and Fournette also.

The issue to me is his off field incidents are troublesome to the FO for a player with a huge contract for a RB.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It does. I also think the Burrow factor is HUGE. When they Bengals made the playoffs 5 years in a row, they had weaknesses and wouldn't spend to address them.

They're going all in with Burrow.

As far as Katie, she's probably smart enough to know that she's not the one that should make personnel decisions. That's something that the worst owners can't do. For an owner, being willing to write the checks to get the players that your personnel people want is a big factor in success.

I'm sure Tobin wanted to sign better free agents for years. But, he may have been under a salary restriction.

Agree and they should be all in on Burrow but not let him make personnel decisions either as he did last year at the back up QB spot per Paly. 

Also agree that Katie is smart enough to not pick the players and  believe MB had Tobin on a monetary FA restriction before Katie gave him a longer leash.

Yet think all picks go through the coaches and always have and Tobin only finds and presents the players he thinks fits their mold. Really the only times we have drafted well for awhile now is when Gruden and Zimmer were OC and DC and now with Zac was HC. Gruden literally spelled out the exact type RB he was seeking in the draft before selecting Gio even and immediately said he had Eifert listed as the #1 WR on the board when questioned why the Bengals took a TE.  After Gruden and Zimmer left there was a big draft drought and many swing and misses and don't think they were Dukes fault. Marvin had a good eye for talent as well but gambled too much on bad character players. 

Zac outlined exactly what he was seeking as well with WINNERS, team captains, coaches sons, and good character guys. 

Believe it is all Zac on offense now and Lou on defense making these calls and Duke and Katie are rightfully giving them the freedom. 

Only speculation on my part though

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Synric - 03-31-2023

TDN has a new Article on Jahmyr Gibbs 4 best teams and Cincy isn't one of them lol but the opening is a good read.

Quote:here’s been so much attention on one of the top running back prospects in this year’s class—Texas’ Bijan Robinson—that another elite running back prospect might be under-discussed. That would be Alabama’s Jahmyr Gibbs, a phenomenal athlete in his own right that has all of the tools to be worth a first-round pick himself.

To call Gibbs a “running back” is almost doing him a disservice. He isn’t just a runner that can stack up rushing yards out of the backfield; he’s an overall offensive weapon that brings tons of value in the passing game as well. In addition to leading the Crimson Tide with his 926 rushing yards on 151 attempts (6.1 yards per carry), Gibbs led Alabama in receptions (44) and was third on the team in receiving yards (444). So while Gibbs does bring excellent value as a runner with outstanding explosiveness and elusiveness at the position, he also brings plenty of value as an extra pass-catcher that can run routes out of the backfield or from the slot and win with good route-running and clean hands.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/jahmyr-gibbs-nfl-draft-eagles-chiefs-cowboys-saints/

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Bengal Dude - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 03:45 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and they should be all in on Burrow but not let him make personnel decisions either as he did last year at the back up QB spot per Paly. 

Also agree that Katie is smart enough to not pick the players and  believe MB had Tobin on a monetary FA restriction before Katie gave him a longer leash.

Yet think all picks go through the coaches and always have and Tobin only finds and presents the players he thinks fits their mold. Really the only times we have drafted well for awhile now is when Gruden and Zimmer were OC and DC and now with Zac was HC. Gruden literally spelled out the exact type RB he was seeking in the draft before selecting Gio even and immediately said he had Eifert listed as the #1 WR on the board when questioned why the Bengals took a TE.  After Gruden and Zimmer left there was a big draft drought and many swing and misses and don't think they were Dukes fault. Marvin had a good eye for talent as well but gambled too much on bad character players. 

Zac outlined exactly what he was seeking as well with WINNERS, team captains, coaches sons, and good character guys. 

Believe it is all Zac on offense now and Lou on defense making these calls and Duke and Katie are rightfully giving them the freedom. 

Only speculation on my part though

I will say that I think Duke and Zac did decide to build on a concept that Marvin 2.0 wanted. When Marvin got more power (?) in 2011, he wanted to focus on drafting more guys that actually loved the game of football and didn't just view it as a source of income. Zac and Duke seemed to have kept that philosophy, but added the team captain and team leader aspect to help shape the locker room.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Graphicguy - 04-01-2023

You almost have to have Burrow’s blessing on the back-up QB. That’s the person who Joe relies on to be his fresh look at what’s going on. If Joe dislikes the guy, doesn’t trust the guy, doesn’t believe in what the guy is communicating, he’s of little use.

Let’s face it. There is NO BACK UP QB who is going to be a replacement for Burrow if he goes down. The Back Up’s overwhelming job is to support Joe. Yeah, if the game gets out of hand, or there’s mop up duty, yeah he’ll get in the game. But, that’s the only scenario where we need him. If our back up QB is starting, we’re fudged!!!!!!

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 04-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 11:10 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: You almost have to have Burrow’s blessing on the back-up QB.  That’s the person who Joe relies on to be his fresh look at what’s going on.  If Joe dislikes the guy, doesn’t trust the guy, doesn’t believe in what the guy is communicating, he’s of little use.

Let’s face it.  There is NO BACK UP QB who is going to be a replacement for Burrow if he goes down.  The Back Up’s overwhelming job is to support Joe.  Yeah, if the game gets out of hand, or there’s mop up duty, yeah he’ll get in the game.  But, that’s the only scenario where we need him.  If our back up QB is starting, we’re fudged!!!!!!

Agree 100% that no back up is going to fill Burrow's shoes

yet the Eagles won a SB with a back up QB in Foles and beat Tom Brady in it. SF made a good run at one with their 3rd string guy. Believe several back up QB's beat Joe Burrow this year even, Brissett and Rush, and Tribisky became the back up shortly after winning. Not saying they're better but back ups can win if the team surrounding them is good, and the Bengals are very good. Plus would think the QB coach and OC would be who Joe listens to mostly anyway. 

Think the position needs upgraded and whoever keeps Joe comfortable can be kept on PS and still on the sideline for him to chat with anyway. 

Yet hopefully it's just an insurance policy and Burrow remains healthy throughout the rest of he's career. 

(03-31-2023, 09:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I will say that I think Duke and Zac did decide to build on a concept that Marvin 2.0 wanted. When Marvin got more power (?) in 2011, he wanted to focus on drafting more guys that actually loved the game of football and didn't just view it as a source of income. Zac and Duke seemed to have kept that philosophy, but added the team captain and team leader aspect to help shape the locker room.

Can maybe agree that Marvin was given a little longer leash towards the end, probably when he quit and left office and MB called him back to his office for renegotiations while he was driving home.  

But in no way am I saying that Zac is following the philosophy Marvin mapped out. Loved Marvin and hoped he would become GM, but Zac is light years ahead of him in running a team imho.  

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Graphicguy - 04-01-2023

(03-31-2023, 09:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I will say that I think Duke and Zac did decide to build on a concept that Marvin 2.0 wanted. When Marvin got more power (?) in 2011, he wanted to focus on drafting more guys that actually loved the game of football and didn't just view it as a source of income. Zac and Duke seemed to have kept that philosophy, but added the team captain and team leader aspect to help shape the locker room.

(04-01-2023, 11:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100% that no back up is going to fill Burrow's shoes

yet the Eagles won a SB with a back up QB in Foles and beat Tom Brady in it. SF made a good run at one with their 3rd string guy. Believe several back up QB's beat Joe Burrow this year even, Brissett and Rush, and Tribisky became the back up shortly after winning. Not saying they're better but back ups can win if the team surrounding them is good, and the Bengals are very good. Plus would think the QB coach and OC would be who Joe listens to mostly anyway. 

Think the position needs upgraded and whoever keeps Joe comfortable can be kept on PS and still on the sideline for him to chat with anyway. 

Yet hopefully it's just an insurance policy and Burrow remains healthy throughout the rest of he's career. 

(04-01-2023, 12:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can maybe agree that Marvin was given a little longer leash towards the end, probably when he quit and left office and MB called him back while he was driving home for renegotiations.  

But in no way am I saying that Zac is following the philosophy Marvin mapped out. Loved Marvin and hoped he would become GM, but Zac is light years ahead of him in running a team imho.  

Agree on all counts.

But, the only guy out there that would be anywhere close to a Nick Foles type of back up is Andy Dalton.  Loved the guy, but don't want him here for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with his talent or demeanor.  Too much history....some good, some bad.

And, Zac is a different coach than Marvin.  I too liked ML.  I thought he lost control of the team towards the end.  And, I thought he fell in love to the "bad boys" image a little too much.  In the end, those two things were his undoing.  But, I bet he'd do things differently if he got another shot in the NFL.  Unfortunately for him, this is a "what have you done for me lately" business.  And, the longer he's gone, the further he is from getting another shot in the NFL.

ZAC is the future of NFL coaching. I'm betting in pretty short order, he's going to have his own coaching tree. Plus, he's young enough to be around for a while. He gets that Super Bowl win (and he will, sooner than later), we'll be talking about how expensive he's going to be to keep him here.

(04-01-2023, 12:58 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Agree on all counts.

But, the only guy out there that would be anywhere close to a Nick Foles type of back up is Andy Dalton.  Loved the guy, but don't want him here for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with his talent or demeanor.  Too much history....some good, some bad.

And, Zac is a different coach than Marvin.  I too liked ML.  I thought he lost control of the team towards the end.  And, I thought he fell in love to the "bad boys" image a little too much.  In the end, those two things were his undoing.  But, I bet he'd do things differently if he got another shot in the NFL.  Unfortunately for him, this is a "what have you done for me lately" business.  And, the longer he's gone, the further he is from getting another shot in the NFL.

ZAC is the future of NFL coaching.  I'm betting in pretty short order, he's going to have his own coaching tree.  Plus, he's young enough to be around for a while.  He gets that Super Bowl win (and he will, sooner than later), we'll be talking about how expensive he's going to be to keep him here.

Agree

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Leon - 04-01-2023

(03-31-2023, 03:57 PM)Synric Wrote: TDN has a new Article on Jahmyr Gibbs 4 best teams and Cincy isn't one of them lol but the opening is a good read.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/jahmyr-gibbs-nfl-draft-eagles-chiefs-cowboys-saints/

watched a couple videos of him. he looks really fast but seems small. do you know his wieght and how tall

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - phil413 - 04-01-2023

We know that Mixon is a bad blocker, hopefully if they keep him they end up with a better right side. Mayer or Washington and Jonah/Carman would help compensate and Mixon has caught the ball at a 82% rate for his career.

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Go Cards - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 10:17 PM)Leon Wrote: watched a couple videos of him. he looks really fast but seems small. do you know his wieght and how tall

5'9" ....199 lbs.........4.36...... 40 yd dash

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - reuben.ahmed - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 11:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100% that no back up is going to fill Burrow's shoes

Mahomes backup came into a playoff game and had a TD scoring drive before mahomes came back in. They won the superbowl that same season (last year).

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - dr tarzan - 04-02-2023

I'm on board with Tyjae Spears from Tulane. Sleeper that nobody seems to talk about. He can be had as late as the 4th rd but I would even take him in the 3rd. Has mediocre measurables but superior immeasurables.
Immeasurables that seem superior:
1) I think he has the best balance and vision of all the RB's in draft.
2)Elusive, runs low and is already on shorter side 5' 10".
3)Doesn't go down on first contact, sets up and reads blocks well.
4)Has "football speed" ala Jerry Rice. runs 4.54 forty, but doesn't get caught from behind.
5)Receiver hands.

Aside from #5 and maybe #4 of which I would put Mixon as his equal, He easily bests Mix on #1,2,3.
Save our first 2-3 picks for something of more team value.

(04-02-2023, 10:25 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mahomes backup came into a playoff game and had a TD scoring drive before mahomes came back in. They won the superbowl that same season (last year).

yep and let's not even mention Steve Young 

also really like

Zach Charbonnet UCLA good blocker and great runner. Really think he is everything the Bengals need

or

Roschon Johnson ..Texas...blocks well and low mileage per running behind Robinson and a load to bring down

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Graphicguy - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 10:57 AM)Go Cards Wrote: also really like

Zach Charbonnet UCLA good blocker and great runner. Really think he is everything the Bengals need

or

Roschon Johnson ..Texas...blocks well and low mileage per running behind Robinson and a load to bring down

I like Charbonnet, too!

(04-02-2023, 11:29 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: I like Charbonnet, too!

He is becoming my favorite after Bijan Robinson, which believe will be drafted early

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Graphicguy - 04-02-2023

(04-02-2023, 11:32 AM)Go Cards Wrote: He is becoming my favorite after Bijan Robinson, which believe will be drafted early

We think alike.....DANGEROUSLY!  LOL!

RE: Uh oh Joe Mixon - Synric - 04-02-2023

(04-01-2023, 10:17 PM)Leon Wrote: watched a couple videos of him. he looks really fast but seems small. do you know his wieght and how tall

(04-02-2023, 10:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: 5'9" ....199 lbs.........4.36...... 40 yd dash

Gibbs is more of your all purpose yardage back. 170ish rushing atempts around 800 yards and another 50 catches 600 yards receiving.