Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama (/Thread-House-Speaker-Ongoing-Melodrama)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - GMDino - 10-14-2023

(10-14-2023, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What do you mean by this, exactly?  I don't know much about Jefferies, but I'm pretty sure all 212 democrats would vote for him and I think he got all the D votes during the 15 or so rounds republicans took before they allowed McCarthy to assume the position.

I get it, the democrats can't just put their guy in power without R's sending them help, but I'm not sure why you are saying a guy with unanimous party support has cult appeal.  If not Jefferies, is there any democrat that is moderate enough that 5 republicans would prefer to vote for him/her over whatever their own party has planned?

He means Democrats are bad and he would be one if he didn't live in California where liberals are extra bad. Or something. Ninja

All seriousness aside its fun to watch people blame the Democrats when the republicans simply have not idea how to govern.

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - pally - 10-14-2023

(10-14-2023, 10:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you vote for dysfunction you cannot subsequently get any credit for complaining about said dysfunction. 

Because outside the Democrat cult there is no interest in Jeffries. Also, Jeffries would not be able to preside over anything resembling a functional House.  So, your choices are simple, pick a GOP member you, and enough GOP members are comfortable with, or STFU about their being no speaker.  You ignore that the Dems are doing this on purpose to improve their chances in '24, while simultaneously bemoaning having no speaker.  Your borderline slavish devotion to the Dems allows you to find no fault with them.  You can't even bring yourself to denounce the Dem members who refuse to condemn Hamas.

You’re so funny, you are blaming the internal dysfunction of the Republicans on the Democrats and at the same time wanting them to fix it. And you want Republicans to govern?

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-15-2023

(10-14-2023, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What do you mean by this, exactly?  I don't know much about Jefferies, but I'm pretty sure all 212 democrats would vote for him and I think he got all the D votes during the 15 or so rounds republicans took before they allowed McCarthy to assume the position.

I get it, the democrats can't just put their guy in power without R's sending them help, but I'm not sure why you are saying a guy with unanimous party support has cult appeal.  If not Jefferies, is there any democrat that is moderate enough that 5 republicans would prefer to vote for him/her over whatever their own party has planned?

There's this odd celebration of the left's cohesion around Jeffries.  As you yourself admit, you don't know much about him.  Guess what, almost no one does.  Yet, for some reason he's the unanimous pick of the Dems for speaker.  Why?  What has he done or accomplished?  I think we both follow national politics rather closely, how often has this guy's name come up in the past?  I don't think the fact that the Dems are in lockstep around an obviously handpicked successor to Pelosi is something to be inherently proud of.  It reeks of party politics and insider gaming.  There's plenty to lambast the GOP about, but not having an anointed successor is not one I'm going to level against them

(10-14-2023, 11:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good way to phrase it.

Just own it if your goal and actions are to throw a cog in the machine to screw over the other side in an attempt to win in 2024. That's better than pretending that caring about getting things done is your primary goal when it's obviously not.

I wish both parties would get their heads out of their asses and cooperate to make our political system ever so slightly less of a shitshow than it currently is, but barring that at least they can be honest.

Anyone actually paying attention knows this.  It's a game, and they're playing it to the hilt.  Of course the GOP would be playing the same game if the situation were reversed, so they're not blameless.  But I'm certainly not going to absolve the Dems of their responsibility for the current mess, in exactly the same way I would not for the GOP if the situation were reversed.

(10-14-2023, 11:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: He means Democrats are bad and he would be one if he didn't live in California where liberals are extra bad. Or something. Ninja

All seriousness aside its fun to watch people blame the Democrats when the republicans simply have not idea how to govern.

Cheap jabs is all you have to throw.  You have no counter of substance or you'd make it.  Either dispute the point being made or spare us your juvenile quippery.

(10-14-2023, 11:46 PM)pally Wrote: You’re so funny, you are blaming the internal dysfunction of the Republicans on the Democrats and at the same time wanting them to fix it.  And you want Republicans to govern?

I'm blaming everyone who voted in favor of the current situation.  That includes both GOP and Dem reps.  The difference between us is I see the dysfunction on both sides, albeit for different reasons.  In your partisan blindness you only find fault in one direction.  Again, you are as partisan as any of the hard core GOP posters here, you just don't realize it.

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - NATI BENGALS - 10-15-2023

The GOP has the majority in the house and it's their turn to pick the #2 in the Presidential order of succession behind only the Vice President. They complain every day about Biden falling down the steps. They can't stop fighting amongst themselves.

And the solution...?

Like every other problem they solve.

Blame the democrats.  Yeah

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - GMDino - 10-15-2023

(10-15-2023, 01:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Cheap jabs is all you have to throw.  You have no counter of substance or you'd make it.  Either dispute the point being made or spare us your juvenile quippery.

I'm blaming everyone who voted in favor of the current situation.  That includes both GOP and Dem reps.  The difference between us is I see the dysfunction on both sides, albeit for different reasons.  In your partisan blindness you only find fault in one direction.  Again, you are as partisan as any of the hard core GOP posters here, you just don't realize it.

If you made a valid point I'd counter it.   Mellow

(10-15-2023, 01:44 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's this odd celebration of the left's cohesion around Jeffries.  As you yourself admit, you don't know much about him.  Guess what, almost no one does.  Yet, for some reason he's the unanimous pick of the Dems for speaker.  Why?  What has he done or accomplished?  I think we both follow national politics rather closely, how often has this guy's name come up in the past?  I don't think the fact that the Dems are in lockstep around an obviously handpicked successor to Pelosi is something to be inherently proud of.  It reeks of party politics and insider gaming.  There's plenty to lambast the GOP about, but not having an anointed successor is not one I'm going to level against them

He was the #2 behind Pelosi.  The Democrats do know him and they rallied around him.  Just because you don't know anything about him doesn't mean his colleagues do not.   

Or as someone told me recently "Your opinion isn't the only one that matters just because others have a different opinion than yours.".   Smirk

The gop had to make deals which ultimately bit them in the hiney.  Now they can't agree so they just quit.

You seem to want to blame the democrats you say you might be if you lived elsewhere for the gop disfunction.  

When is it ever the fault of the gop for allowing a minority of extreme members to dictate the rules? They wanted control.  They have failed miserably. 

The current leader for speaker has never done anything in the House but complain...but he was part of January 6th and is a huge supporter of P01135809.

But please, tell us about the "cult like Dems".

Every republican accusation is actually a confession.  Yours was no different.

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - pally - 10-15-2023

Indicted Representative George Santos has promised to resign from office if the Republicans work with the Democrats for Speaker. I can't think of a better reason for moderate Republicans to cross over party lines

(10-15-2023, 10:49 AM)pally Wrote: Indicted Representative George Santos has promised to resign from office if the Republicans work with the Democrats for Speaker.  I can't think of a better reason for moderate Republicans to cross over party lines

Given Santos' reputation he is probably lying.   Smirk

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - Nately120 - 10-15-2023

(10-15-2023, 11:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Given Santos' reputation he is probably lying.   Smirk

He's lying to himself if he thinks that is a credible threat. 

(10-15-2023, 10:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: If you made a valid point I'd counter it.   Mellow

Boring.

Quote:He was the #2 behind Pelosi.  The Democrats do know him and they rallied around him.  Just because you don't know anything about him doesn't mean his colleagues do not.   

Or as someone told me recently "Your opinion isn't the only one that matters just because others have a different opinion than yours.".   Smirk

I asked what he's done.  You offered nothing.

Quote:The gop had to make deals which ultimately bit them in the hiney.  Now they can't agree so they just quit.

You seem to want to blame the democrats you say you might be if you lived elsewhere for the gop disfunction.  

You seem to have reading comprehension issue if that's what you've garnered from my posts.  Maybe try actually reading what people write instead of thinking about what you consider a witty response.

Quote:When is it ever the fault of the gop for allowing a minority of extreme members to dictate the rules? They wanted control.  They have failed miserably. 

Right now would be a good example.

Quote:The current leader for speaker has never done anything in the House but complain...but he was part of January 6th and is a huge supporter of P01135809.

You'll have to direct me to the posts in which I support him.

Quote:But please, tell us about the "cult like Dems".

Every republican accusation is actually a confession.  Yours was no different.

You use this line a lot.  You must have read it once when it was properly used and decided it was a catch all for when people think differently that you.  Also, it would have a lot more punch if your interpretation of my posts was even semi-accurate.  I suppose being ultra-partisan affects your comprehension level.

(10-15-2023, 12:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Boring.

I asked what he's done.  You offered nothing.

You seem to have reading comprehension issue if that's what you've garnered from my posts.  Maybe try actually reading what people write instead of thinking about what you consider a witty response.

Right now would be a good example.

You'll have to direct me to the posts in which I support him.

You use this line a lot.  You must have read it once when it was properly used and decided it was a catch all for when people think differently that you.  Also, it would have a lot more punch if your interpretation of my posts was even semi-accurate.  I suppose being ultra-partisan affects your comprehension level.

Blah, blah, blah.

You wish to blame the Democrats for not helping the republicans fix their own mess.  It's plain as day.

Anyway, THIS is a cult:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(10-15-2023, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Blah, blah, blah.

You wish to blame the Democrats for not helping the republicans fix their own mess.  It's plain as day.

Anyway, THIS is a cult:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, like I said, you read nothing, or rather comprehend nothing, not posted by one of your herd.  Anyone reading my posts in this thread would realize what a lack of understanding you're showing here.  Oddly, Leonard Leap totally gets it.  Maybe he's a secret conservative too, like everyone else who doesn't think exactly like you on every subject.

(10-15-2023, 04:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, like I said, you read nothing, or rather comprehend nothing, not posted by one of your herd.  Anyone reading my posts in this thread would realize what a lack of understanding you're showing here.  Oddly, Leonard Leap totally gets it.  Maybe he's a secret conservative too, like everyone else who doesn't think exactly like you on every subject.

So boring.  Always looking for an argument.  You post something, someone responds and you claim that didn't understand if they don't agree.

Blah, blah, blah.

You are the one who has claimed you would be liberal in another state. 

But then I never expect yo own your own words...just claim that no one who disagrees "gets it".

So you got the response you desperately needed.  There you go.

I cant wait to read your next response!   Ninja

(10-15-2023, 05:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: So boring.  Always looking for an argument.  You post something, someone responds and you claim that didn't understand if they don't agree.

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm always looking for an interesting discussion.  It might be possible to have one with you, except you're literally not responding to points I'm actually making.

Quote:You are the one who has claimed you would be liberal in another state. 

Actually, it was Bel who made that statement.  His point has some merit, I will agree, but I wasn't the person who made that claim.

Quote:But then I never expect yo own your own words...just claim that no one who disagrees "gets it".

Except that's not true.  I disagree with several posters who actually take the time to read and comprehend what is being argued.  Jdawg, Bel, Hollo just to name a few.  I've disagreed with all of them, sometimes frequently.  The difference is they actual respond to points I'm making, unlike yourself in this thread.

Quote:So you got the response you desperately needed.  There you go.

I cant wait to read your next response!   Ninja

Oh, sweet Dino, you ascribe far too much importance to yourself.  Outside of correcting your inaccuracies there's really not much to discuss with you.  But I do have an issue with being deliberately misinterpreted as well as with blatantly false statements/arguments.  Keep feeling aggrieved though, it's apparently important to you.

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - pally - 10-16-2023

Hannity trying to put the pressure on in support of Jordan....and I thought the media was supposed to be neutral

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - GMDino - 10-16-2023

He almost gets it.  But naturally he puts the party and his own power ahead of the country.

[Image: F8hR69JXAAAhGfh?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - Nately120 - 10-16-2023

As I've said before, I"m a bit surprised democrats didn't just support McCarthy for fear of the GOP putting someone worse into power.  Democrats have been criticized as being a bit spineless and we're talking about a political party that has completely softened on Bush and Liz Cheney and considered Charlie Crist a legitimate democratic candidate for governor in FL simply because the MAGA folks don't think they're dedicated enough to the cause, so to speak.

For good or ill, I'm surprised democrats in the house didn't just say "Well, McCarthy kisses Trump's ass and won't work with us, but if we don't support him the next guy will probably kiss Trump's ass even harder and extra not work with us...so I guess we support Kevin after all."

They still have time to lie down and let the GOP walk all over them, er...I mean compromise.

(10-16-2023, 10:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: As I've said before, I"m a bit surprised democrats didn't just support McCarthy for fear of the GOP putting someone worse into power.  Democrats have been criticized as being a bit spineless and we're talking about a political party that has completely softened on Bush and Liz Cheney and considered Charlie Crist a legitimate democratic candidate for governor in FL simply because the MAGA folks don't think they're dedicated enough to the cause, so to speak.

For good or ill, I'm surprised democrats in the house didn't just say "Well, McCarthy kisses Trump's ass and won't work with us, but if we don't support him the next guy will probably kiss Trump's ass even harder and extra not work with us...so I guess we support Kevin after all."

They still have time to lie down and let the GOP walk all over them, er...I mean compromise.

Similar to what will happen when P01135809 finally stops running for office.  What will fill that void?  Will the gop go back to sane, electable candidates or will they continue to try and hold on to the MAGA cult vote and run the most extreme people they can?

The Democrats can't control that either.