Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
Matt Gaetz filed a motion for McCarthy to vacate the speakership. it will be brought to a vote on Tuesday. It will succeed because the Democrats will vote against him. McCarthy lied to the Dems 1 too many times.

The Republicans have no viable replacement in mind and the Democrats are united around Jeffries so get the popcorn ready

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[Image: terrell-owens-popcorn.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: Matt Gaetz filed a motion for McCarthy to vacate the speakership. it will be brought to a vote on Tuesday. It will succeed because the Democrats will vote against him. McCarthy lied to the Dems 1 too many times.

The Republicans have no viable replacement in mind and the Democrats are united around Jeffries so get the popcorn ready

Eh, we'll see. I would not be shocked to see McCarthy making deals with the Democratic caucus to retain his seat. That being said, I think the price will be too high for him. First thing on the table would be an end to the impeachment inquiry.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: Matt Gaetz filed a motion for McCarthy to vacate the speakership.  it will be brought to a vote on Tuesday.  It will succeed because the Democrats will vote against him. McCarthy lied to the Dems 1 too many times.

The nihilist in me really enjoys Matt Gatez and his bizarre ability to act like a petulant and entitled toddler while simultaneously possessing only enough maturity to also be a sexual predator. 
Reply/Quote
What I find truly fascinating about this is that Gaetz' justification for this ousting is that McCarthy voted with Democrats to pass the bill to keep the lights on, but in order for this ousting to be successful, Gaetz will be required to vote with Democrats.

If the Democrats do not choose to oust McCarthy, there's no way he will be removed. So wouldn't Gaetz immediately violate the same basis for which he is using as justification to remove McCarthy?

Maybe he'll vote to remove himself shortly thereafter.

That would require some ideological consistency though... but we know Gaetz has none of that.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What I find truly fascinating about this is that Gaetz' justification for this ousting is that McCarthy voted with Democrats to pass the bill to keep the lights on, but in order for this ousting to be successful, Gaetz will be required to vote with Democrats.

If the Democrats do not choose to oust McCarthy, there's no way he will be removed. So wouldn't Gaetz immediately violate the same basis for which he is using as justification to remove McCarthy?

Maybe he'll vote to remove himself shortly thereafter.

That would require some ideological consistency though... but we know Gaetz has none of that.

Hypocrisy isn't a bug of the MAGA GOP, it's a feature.  For all we talk about the government serving us and our independent nature, we also kind of like the idea of people ruling over us and being better than us as long as we can convince ourselves they're fighting for us.

Vote #1 is live now...it's deja vu all over again.
Reply/Quote
Can't make memes at work (darn public sector).

But remember when the GOP was going to coalesce with Trump gone?
Reply/Quote
Clown show
Reply/Quote
I saw some discussion on the "why" a couple of days ago here and have been looking for this video. Jeff Jackson is a congressman as well and broke down the situation. Link.

McCarthy gone.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 05:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Clown show

I know it is rare, but I agree. GOP can never rally 100% around anyone or anything. The Democratic cult however voted 100% today to oust McCarthy.

Be careful what you are happy about, since they conduct business likely the Democrats voted with a handful of Republicans to shut down the government in 45 days.

Either way, very bad day for the GOP.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: Matt Gaetz filed a motion for McCarthy to vacate the speakership.  it will be brought to a vote on Tuesday.  It will succeed because the Democrats will vote against him. McCarthy lied to the Dems 1 too many times.

Do you think Democrats can get the votes (majority vote) to give Jeffries the speaker's job?

If so, I think IT is a big reach.

I do need to do some research, but I believe the majority can name someone as a speaker temp. I believe it does not have to be a politician. Maybe someone has the answer.

I predict another 20 votes as McCarthy says he is going to fight and run again. This could takes weeks, not good for Congress, but self inflicted wound by Gaetz and his merry men.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Much like the government shutdown, this is clearly at the feet of those darn stubborn Democrats. If only a handful of them could be so reasonable as to break with their party this could have been avoided. Ninja
Reply/Quote

Careful what you wish for.
He's out. now Who's in?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 06:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Careful what you wish for.
He's out. now Who's in?

I caught in passing they are in recess and will name a temporary speaker until they have a vote.  I don't know who gets to name them or if is some established way of doing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 06:41 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Much like the government shutdown, this is clearly at the feet of those darn stubborn Democrats. If only a handful of them could be so reasonable as to break with their party this could have been avoided. Ninja

The gop runs on a platform of saying government doesn't work and do everything in the power once elected to prove it.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 06:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Careful what you wish for.
He's out. now Who's in?

Who knows.  I can see why democrats aren't particularly protective of McCarthy, though.  He's no Matt Gaetz, but the guy has already shown he will let Trump walk all over him and the rest of our established system. 

Once again, history is made.  Exciting eh?

I'm already seeing jokes that Matt Gaetz managed to f*** someone over the age of 18 finally.
Reply/Quote
Second shortest stint by a speaker in history. The shortest was Michael Kerr who died in office as speaker from TB in 1876.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 07:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: I caught in passing they are in recess and will name a temporary speaker until they have a vote.  I don't know who gets to name them or if is some established way of doing.

Rep Patrick McHenry of North Carolina is the temporary Speaker.  He is 2nd in line in Republican House Leadership as Chief Whip.

Apparently a post-9/11 House rule requires the Speaker to provide a private list of who is to succeed him to the House Clerk. McHenry must have been at the top. He is a known ally of McCarthy's

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 07:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who knows.  I can see why democrats aren't particularly protective of McCarthy, though.  He's no Matt Gaetz, but the guy has already shown he will let Trump walk all over him and the rest of our established system. 

Once again, history is made.  Exciting eh?

I'm already seeing jokes that Matt Gaetz managed to f*** someone over the age of 18 finally.

[Image: Screenshot-2023-10-03-181915.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 06:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know it is rare, but I agree. GOP can never rally 100% around anyone or anything. The Democratic cult however voted 100% today to oust McCarthy.

Ne careful what you are happy about, since they conduct business likely the Democrats voted with a handful of Republicans to shut down the government in 45 days.

Either way, very bad day for the GOP.

I get why the democrats voted to oust. He isn’t a democrat. They want a democrat speaker. Pretty easy to understand. It’s not their job to prop up a broken Republican Party and let them control what comes to the floor.

Any dem that voted to keep would have and should have been thrown under the bus since they would have been voting for the other party to stay in power.
Reply/Quote