Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How important is a TE - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: How important is a TE (/Thread-How-important-is-a-TE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: How important is a TE - bengals1969 - 02-07-2024

(01-30-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?

I don't understand Bengals drafting of late.  Knowing Boyd, Williams and Tee were very likely goners, why not draft their replacements during the 2023 draft?  A TE can be part of the Tee/Boyd replacement since highly unlikely we draft "the guy", especially since there were so many highly touted TE's.  
In fact why not trade Tee for a haul of draft picks?

Williams replacement?  I don't get it.  
Backend was in crisis last season before the draft, so they tended to it.  Still that number 1 pick should have addressed the upcoming 2024 problems.

Look what KC did when their #1 WR got too pricy.  Headed to the Swift Bowl again.

RE: How important is a TE - pulses - 02-07-2024

(02-07-2024, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's currently listed as the 3rd best TE on several boards, might have to get him in the 3rd, if he's still on the board. 

I would be ok with that.

RE: How important is a TE - coachmcneil71 - 02-08-2024

(02-05-2024, 03:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with you 1/2 round i look at both sides of the ball unless we trade Tee but we should hopefully get a 2nd for Tee but a 3rd for sure, what type of contract you think Sample is looking for ?

Not trying to argue here. Ts, Tee was a high rd #2 pick and his stock has done nothing but rise since he was drafted. To just get another 2nd rd pick for him would be counterproductive. He will almost assuredly be the #1 WR on the vast majority of any teams that may be a trade candidate. I don't see the Bengals letting him go for anything less than a #1 or possibly a #2 with #5 and #6 added. 

My point being that his stock has only risen since he was drafted. I don't think they can let him go for a #2 rd pick unless other picks are added to the trade.  Just my two cents worth.

RE: How important is a TE - 007BengalsFan - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 02:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not trying to argue here. Ts, Tee was a high rd #2 pick and his stock has done nothing but rise since he was drafted. To just get another 2nd rd pick for him would be counterproductive. He will almost assuredly be the #1 WR on the vast majority of any teams that may be a trade candidate. I don't see the Bengals letting him go for anything less than a #1 or possibly a #2 with #5 and #6 added. 

My point being that his stock has only risen since he was drafted. I don't think they can let him go for a #2 rd pick unless other picks are added to the trade.  Just my two cents worth.

I think what the Bengals need to do is be upfront with Tee and tell him we are going to tag you then trade you because we just cant afford the contract you want.  We will be looking for a 1st and 4th round pick so if there is any team that you want to play for we will allow your agent to have discussions with other teams about a trade and new contract.  If you wait until the season starts to sign the tag you may get traded to a team you dont like and/or not have the long term contract you are looking for.

RE: How important is a TE - jj22 - 02-08-2024

I just want to shout out Wilcox who isn't getting much love around here but is always in the mix at the position and has played a role in the SB runs of the past years. I put him right up there with Sample, and a better overall TE then Hudson. At the very least I'd call him solid.

RE: How important is a TE - casear2727 - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 04:52 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think what the Bengals need to do is be upfront with Tee and tell him we are going to tag you then trade you because we just cant afford the contract you want.  We will be looking for a 1st and 4th round pick so if there is any team that you want to play for we will allow your agent to have discussions with other teams about a trade and new contract.  If you wait until the season starts to sign the tag you may get traded to a team you dont like and/or not have the long term contract you are looking for.

Several issues with this. 

They cant trade Tee until he signs the tag.  There is no deadline for the player, Tee could wait to sign it until week 11 of the upcoming season, assuming he is concerned about qualifying for an accrued season.

If Tee waits to sign until after free agency, no team will have cap space to sign Tee easily. 

If Tee waits to sign the tag until after the draft what are you trading him for?  2025 draft picks?

RE: How important is a TE - SunsetBengal - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 05:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Several issues with this. 

They cant trade Tee until he signs the tag.  There is no deadline for the player, Tee could wait to sign it until week 11 of the upcoming season, assuming he is concerned about qualifying for an accrued season.

If Tee waits to sign until after free agency, no team will have cap space to sign Tee easily. 

If Tee waits to sign the tag until after the draft what are you trading him for?  2025 draft picks?

I would think that the idea of tagging and trading a player is predicated on the notion that some interested teams are reaching out to the Bengals FO with some sort of offer.

(02-08-2024, 05:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that the idea of tagging and trading a player is predicated on the notion that some interested teams are reaching out to the Bengals FO with some sort of offer.

Exactly.  This is why you let Tee know he is going to be traded from the beginning.  If Tee signs the tag offer before the draft you can work out something with him and the other team he is interested it.  If he waits until after the draft is over before signing the tag the Bengals obviously miss out on drafting his replacement this year and at that point the Bengals would have to look out for their own best interests.  There is a tag signing deadline usually in July.  If a player doesnt sign the tag by the deadline they are not eligible to sign a multi-year contract that year.  If they play that season they must do it on the one year tag.  If they get injured obviously it could hurt their multi year contract potential.  They could hold out and not sign the contract but then they wont make anything.  In Tee's case he would be losing ~21 million dollars for the season.  The best solution really would be to sign the tag before the draft so you can work out a deal on a trade.

RE: How important is a TE - Synric - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 05:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Exactly.  This is why you let Tee know he is going to be traded from the beginning.  If Tee signs the tag offer before the draft you can work out something with him and the other team he is interested it.  If he waits until after the draft is over before signing the tag the Bengals obviously miss out on drafting his replacement this year and at that point the Bengals would have to look out for their own best interests.  There is a tag signing deadline usually in July.  If a player doesnt sign the tag by the deadline they are not eligible to sign a multi-year contract that year.  If they play that season they must do it on the one year tag.  If they get injured obviously it could hurt their multi year contract potential.  They could hold out and not sign the contract but then they wont make anything.  In Tee's case he would be losing ~21 million dollars for the season.  The best solution really would be to sign the tag before the draft so you can work out a deal on a trade.

And if there is no trade? You cannot go into the situation saying they are only tagging him to trade. There is a point where the value doesn't match the potential of having Tee in the Bengals offense for a year.

The Franchise Tag window is 2 weeks Feb 20th through March 5th. Not every team will be willing to trade before free agency. 

(02-08-2024, 05:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Exactly.  This is why you let Tee know he is going to be traded from the beginning.  If Tee signs the tag offer before the draft you can work out something with him and the other team he is interested it.  If he waits until after the draft is over before signing the tag the Bengals obviously miss out on drafting his replacement this year and at that point the Bengals would have to look out for their own best interests.  There is a tag signing deadline usually in July.  If a player doesnt sign the tag by the deadline they are not eligible to sign a multi-year contract that year.  If they play that season they must do it on the one year tag.  If they get injured obviously it could hurt their multi year contract potential.  They could hold out and not sign the contract but then they wont make anything.  In Tee's case he would be losing ~21 million dollars for the season.  The best solution really would be to sign the tag before the draft so you can work out a deal on a trade.

I know exactly how the tag works.   Players that have little hope of an extension wait to sign the tag until after camp so they are not fined for not showing up to avoid risking injury.  See Bates.

I do not see any way the Bengals do this crazy unnecessary risk. The Bengals will NOT be held hostage by a player.  And that is exactly the position this would put them in. 

Tee can say he only wants to be traded to the Chiefs, they would know this and would offer an extreme low ball offer, say a 3rd round pick, then what? 

Tee would get the 21M with the Bengals or the team HE wants, which would not lead to a great offer.

(02-08-2024, 06:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I know exactly how the tag works.   Players that have little hope of an extension wait to sign the tag until after camp so they are not fined for not showing up to avoid risking injury.  See Bates.

I do not see any way the Bengals do this crazy unnecessary risk. The Bengals will NOT be held hostage by a player.  And that is exactly the position this would put them in. 

Tee can say he only wants to be traded to the Chiefs, they would know this and would offer an extreme low ball offer, say a 3rd round pick, then what? 

Tee would get the 21M with the Bengals or the team HE wants, which would not lead to a great offer.

Its not overly complicated, either the Bengals get the first round draft pick in a trade before the draft or they trade Higgins after the draft and get compensation for him next year.  Either way Higgins will be traded.  If Kansas City wants him they better be ready to give up their 1st round pick+.  If not the Bengals can just trade him to a team like Carolina after the draft.  If Tee doesnt want to go to Carolina, K.C. better come up with the 1st round draft pick.  Tee has little leverage here.  

RE: How important is a TE - bfine32 - 02-08-2024

Why the hell has Tee Higgins become the topic of discussion in this thread? There's about 5 other threads on the front page talking about Tee

(02-08-2024, 07:59 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Its not overly complicated, either the Bengals get the first round draft pick in a trade before the draft or they trade Higgins after the draft and get compensation for him next year.  Either way Higgins will be traded.  If Kansas City wants him they better be ready to give up their 1st round pick+.  If not the Bengals can just trade him to a team like Carolina after the draft.  If Tee doesnt want to go to Carolina, K.C. better come up with the 1st round draft pick.  Tee has little leverage here.  

Lol, no. We are not trading Tee right before the season for the next year’s draft picks. Come on man.

RE: How important is a TE - TecmoBengals - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why the hell has Tee Higgins become the topic of discussion in this thread? There's about 5 other threads on the front page talking about Tee

TE is 2/3 of Tee's name.

RE: How important is a TE - coachmcneil71 - 02-08-2024

(02-08-2024, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why the hell has Tee Higgins become the topic of discussion in this thread? There's about 5 other threads on the front page talking about Tee

Wasn't trying to derail this thread. Onward and forward with the TE discussion plz. 

RE: How important is a TE - Essex Johnson - 02-08-2024

Maybe they are moving him to TE...lol

RE: How important is a TE - bfine32 - 02-09-2024

(02-08-2024, 11:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Maybe they are moving him to TE...lol

Just tag him as a TE and save about $9 Mil

RE: How important is a TE - bfine32 - 02-11-2024

OK, maybe TE is not so important

RE: How important is a TE - TheLeonardLeap - 02-12-2024

A TE is the most important if you can get them to date a world pop icon who brings the NFL viewers in key demographics that they are lacking in.

RE: How important is a TE - TheCincinnatiKid - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 12:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A TE is the most important if you can get them to date a world pop icon who brings the NFL viewers in key demographics that they are lacking in.

I did find it pretty bad that pretty much immediately after the score, the cameras are straight to the Swift box, rather than staying on Hardman... y'know, the guy who scored the winning points.