Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** (/Thread-NFL-Free-Agency-News-Signings-Thread)

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Bengalstripes9 - 03-13-2024

I don't want Williams at wideout. He's too expensive and too injury proned. And too old (especialy for a wr).

Sign Irwin. Sign a solid vet (or two) on a team friendly deal. Draft a rookie.
Sign another durable, versatile vet TE too, and maybe draft a rookie in the mid rounds.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pally - 03-13-2024

I'm kind of surprised we did not see an extension for Trent Irwin

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

Gesicki is sort of the Boyd replacement as he lives a lot in the slot. Boyd did have a bad year especially with dropsies but will land somewhere.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With how Tycen Anderson cannot stay healthy, Vonn would be nice to be brought back as depth and as a leader.

I just don't know if Vonn would be willing to be a depth player, as I don't think we should bench Battle after his pretty stellar rookie campaign.

Panthers paying him and only get reimbursed the money he signs elsewhere. Bell could pull a Wilson and pay for league minimum as he collects rest of money from Carolina. Bell wants a ring and would be great addition to our 2024 roster, especially on a very friendly deal. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pally - 03-13-2024

Texans beat reporter...it seems like the Lions and Bengals will split Reader and Armstead. who goes where is the mystery

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Luvnit2 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:24 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I don't want Williams at wideout. He's too expensive and too injury proned. And too old (especialy for a wr).

Sign Irwin. Sign a solid vet (or two) on a team friendly deal. Draft a rookie.
Sign another durable, versatile vet TE too, and maybe draft a rookie in the mid rounds.

Williams is coming off ACL injury and Chargers paying him a ton. He is like Wilson and Bell, could play on a prove it deal due to his torn ACL. My fear is goes to Ravens, Steelers or Browns (or K.C.) for league minimum. 

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Joelist - 03-13-2024

We should have made a pick offer to SF to acquire him then we can resign him without a bidding war.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: We should have made a pick offer to SF to acquire him then we can resign him without a bidding war.

Agree as it sounds like we are going to lose Reader, if we lose Armstead as well this has been pretty bad and I am as positive as it gets.

Still not over, but we need at least one DT and one OT in this FA.

(03-13-2024, 05:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With how Tycen Anderson cannot stay healthy, Vonn would be nice to be brought back as depth and as a leader.

I just don't know if Vonn would be willing to be a depth player, as I don't think we should bench Battle after his pretty stellar rookie campaign.

I thought about this yesterday when I saw he was released--thinking there's not enough room for him on the team. 

The thing is, it's not easy to stop the Ravens ground game. We need as many sure tacklers as we can have. And we need depth. 

I'd be fine starting Vonn over Battle but I think they rotate in and out. And maybe they see the field at the same time if it's a run heavy set. 

You don't want the defense to tire out. I think it would improve the team a lot to have both. It would keep them both fresh.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So I was wrong and all the negative people were right?

We are just going to have massive holes at RT and DT?

This would be the worst FA ever in the Burrow era if this is the case. Mellow

They could still get someone like Armstead and Reader to solidify the defensive line with some cap money left over.  If Tee is traded that frees up another 22 million which could be used.  They still have options but they need to be smart and get some quality guys in some of these positions.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals tweet was over not being able to confirm the news already out. FA "beginning" at 4 is an old school train of thought. Truth is it's long over for most clubs (the heavy lifting). Now is the 1 year prove it / vet min deals we'd typically see in April / May 5 years ago.

They couldn’t wait to tweet confirmations of relatively minor deals? Why would they care about that? The news is already out.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - pulses - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:25 PM)pally Wrote: I'm kind of surprised we did not see an extension for Trent Irwin

We might later on but yet again this draft is loaded at WR so getting someone later on with some upside might be better and cheaper.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - depthchart - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Is that 4:00 Pacific time?  because Im hearing crickets so far while waiting for all this exciting news.

What if the Crickets learn of News first and are trying to tell us but we can't understand what their cricketing about...   Mellow

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - WeezyBengal - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:26 PM)pally Wrote: Texans beat reporter...it seems like the Lions and Bengals will split Reader and Armstead.  who goes where is the mystery

Is Armstead an upgrade over a healthy Reader? 

(03-13-2024, 05:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Williams is coming off ACL injury and Chargers paying him a ton. He is like Wilson and Bell, could play on a prove it deal due to his torn ACL. My fear is goes to Ravens, Steelers or Browns (or K.C.) for league minimum. 

Yeah, I just don't want to rely on him. He's not very reliable. If it were league minimum or similar that would be the only situation that makes sense to me. But still, he's taking up a roster spot.

We could look at Michael Thomas too, but same thing.

I'd prefer a durable vet that's around 26 years old. Honestly Boyd would be a solid replacement for Higgins and then you draft a rookie as well. But he's probably gone and they go with someone cheaper.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - michaelsean - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:32 PM)depthchart Wrote: What if the Crickets learn of News first and are trying to tell us but we can't understand what their cricketing about...   Mellow

I’ve seen Pinocchio. I understand cricket.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 04:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I recall some interest in him at the end of last year from a few teams, but he was never signed that I'm aware of. I'd assume there were still injury concerns? I haven't heard anything since.

The Cowboys signed him to their PS, but he never played. 

I would be happy with Reader + Collins + a value CB/DT/WR.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - RunKijanaRun - 03-13-2024

Looks like Vonn Bell is coming back. I love it.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:31 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I thought about this yesterday when I saw he was released--thinking there's not enough room for him on the team. 

The thing is, it's not easy to stop the Ravens ground game. We need as many sure tacklers as we can have. And we need depth. 

I'd be fine starting Vonn over Battle but I think they rotate in and out. And maybe they see the field at the same time if it's a run heavy set. 

You don't want the defense to tire out. I think it would improve the team a lot to have both. It would keep them both fresh.

Yeah, might be able to make it work and it might really help out Battle and Dax in the long run, yah never know.

All I do know is Tycen Anderson is always hurt even if he looks great when he does play.

(03-13-2024, 05:32 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: They could still get someone like Armstead and Reader to solidify the defensive line with some cap money left over.  If Tee is traded that frees up another 22 million which could be used.  They still have options but they need to be smart and get some quality guys in some of these positions.

Thanks, makes me feel better, sure hope this is what is going on.

(03-13-2024, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is Armstead an upgrade over a healthy Reader? 

They play different positions pretty much. Armstead would be more of a 3-tech for us like BJ Hill. We would still need a NT if we lost DJ.

RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2024

(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: We should have made a pick offer to SF to acquire him then we can resign him without a bidding war.

I dont understand it either.  If he only played 1 year all you would lose would be a 7th round pick that the Bengals never hit on anyway.  If he would sign cheaper than the 17.6 million why not just pay him the 17.6 million the first year then less the second year.