Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 04:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: Where is Collins? I'd welcome him back before Becton.

I recall some interest in him at the end of last year from a few teams, but he was never signed that I'm aware of. I'd assume there were still injury concerns? I haven't heard anything since.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 04:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, we could use a FA RT, so.....

I got a FA RT for ya...  Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
15 minutes to get your popcorn ready
Reply/Quote
Pass-rusher Khalil Mack will remain with the Los Angeles Chargers next season after agreeing to restructure his deal to save salary cap space, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday. Mack, an eight-time Pro-Bowl selection and former NFL Defensive Player of the Year had a career-high 17 sacks last season and has 101.5 in his career.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39624174/2024-nfl-free-agency-tracker-updates-signings-trades-cuts-contracts
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: La'el? Oh yeah, if he is healthy he is a much better player than Becton as of late.

Yep. I feel like he started the season off rocky, but was coming along before the injury. I also through I saw some video's of him working his way back from injury last season. Something must be up with him if he's out of the league. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Bell's Twitter Bio

Vonn Bell
@Vonn
NFL Safety and Former Ohio State Buckeyes All-American #WhoDey #BuckeyeNation Business Inquiries:
@bradleyacutler

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:03 PM)pally Wrote: Bell's Twitter Bio

Vonn Bell
@Vonn
NFL Safety and Former Ohio State Buckeyes All-American #WhoDey #BuckeyeNation Business Inquiries:
@bradleyacutler

Translation?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Translation?

its just interesting he has #whodey in the bio

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 04:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: There are a lot of OTs left to be signed. I've been hearing it's because the draft class is deep.

But also look at the top OTs available:
Tyron Smith and Trent Brown have had trouble staying on the field in the past.
Either are great options if they are healthy, but it could be hard to put a dollar amount on the risk and you don't want to commit to too many years with them.

Other options are average at best like Jonah Williams. Jonah hasn't been exactly durable either.
Becton is trash and injury prone. Definitely not a good option.
I also see Josh Yinman from the Packers on the top 100 list who is durable, but probably a league average guy at best. I know nothing about him.
Maybe Andus Peat could be looked at for a tackle, or Donnavon Smith from the Chiefs. Don't know much about these guys either but assume they are average at best.

Overall there are a lot of names available still. Bengals aren't the only team not wanting to commit too much to average starters or great players that are often injured. The draft class for tackles is very good and the FA crop isn't--which is why there are a lot of names left on the list.

I think the Bengals will find someone to be either a potential elite T with injury risk, and back him up with Carman and a rookie.
Or sign a league average guy and draft a tackle to compete with him for the job.

Either way it seems like we need to take an OT with our top pick. It's not ideal in terms of flexibility with how the draft falls.
But if there is a run we could just draft a DT and pick an OT later in the draft if its a deep class.

For DT, it's pretty much Reader as far as an immediate starter. He'll command a lot of money.
Bengals could miss out but he's 30 so it would be ideal to find a suitable replacement in the draft anyway.
I don't like having two immediate large needs that need addressing in the draft.
If you get a late 1st for Higgins you can address both needs in the 1st, but then you need a replacement WR2. Not a lot of options in FA.
Again, you're looking to the draft.
If we lose (3) solid starters in Reader, Higgins, and Jonah (to a lesser extent) and replace them with (3) draft picks you end up getting worse as a team.
This is a tough nut to crack, but the Bengals could improve if they make a couple savvy signings at CB and along the dline (and hit on the draft picks).

I'd prefer not to spend too much on average OTs. I'd like to see a 2 year deal for Tyron Smith.
I'd be open to spending more to keep Reader. We need another 3T to improve the rotation as well.
Bengals need to make some savvy CB/Dline/WR signings to lower the amount of draft needs going into the draft.

Don't forget Boyd & Chido.

5 starter level guys. 

We certainly upgraded S, dropping Scott for Stone. Gesicki was Henry's backup in NE, and deservedly so. 

ATM, we are down 4 starters (Reader, Chido, Boyd, Jonah) and up 1 (Stone). I will give us a half for Gesicki. Given all our cap space, this is not a success to this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 04:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Doubtful, as Armstead refused a contract restructure in favor of being released.  Clearly he thinks that he's worth every cent of his current pay (and likely then some)

He declined a significant pay cut in the restructure.  Im not sure what he considered significant but I do believe if the Bengals really wanted Armstead they would offer a 7th.  My 15 million dollar value contract was more directed to the Bengals letting a guy get away to save a few bucks only to overpay a mediocre player later when they could have just signed the better player for a little more money. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 04:16 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, top drawer available:

NT/DT: Reader
DT/3T: Armstead
OT: Smith, Brown
CB: Fuller
WR: Williams

Williams over Ridley/M Brown?

Availability is the best ability.
Reply/Quote
Von Bell has #Whodey in his instagram bio... no telling how long that's been there but he may be back?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Is that 4:00 Pacific time? because Im hearing crickets so far while waiting for all this exciting news.
Reply/Quote
Right.

I expected fireworks at 4. Especially after that Bengals tweet where they acted like they couldn’t hold back their excitement for an announcement to come.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Right.

I expected fireworks at 4. Especially after that Bengals tweet where they acted like they couldn’t hold back their excitement for an announcement to come.

That was my thought
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Don't forget Boyd & Chido.

5 starter level guys. 

We certainly upgraded S, dropping Scott for Stone. Gesicki was Henry's backup in NE, and deservedly so. 

ATM, we are down 4 starters (Reader, Chido, Boyd, Jonah) and up 1 (Stone). I will give us a half for Gesicki. Given all our cap space, this is not a success to this point.

Chido was much better before his injury. I'm hoping Bengals sign a couple solid vets at a similar dollar amount to his deal when he first signed here. 
I like the young players in the secondary, but adding a couple vets in there would solidify the unit for the short and long-term (and free up the draft).

(03-13-2024, 05:07 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Von Bell has #Whodey in his instagram bio... no telling how long that's been there but he may be back?

Von Bell would be a great signing. I like Battle. But depth is always good. It seemed last year our secondary was bare bones all year and it would be nice to have a stocked cupboard back there with depth and experience. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals tweet was over not being able to confirm the news already out. FA "beginning" at 4 is an old school train of thought. Truth is it's long over for most clubs (the heavy lifting). Now is the 1 year prove it / vet min deals we'd typically see in April / May 5 years ago.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:20 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Chido was much better before his injury. I'm hoping Bengals sign a couple solid vets at a similar dollar amount to his deal when he first signed here. 
I like the young players in the secondary, but adding a couple vets in there would solidify the unit for the short and long-term (and free up the draft).

Von Bell would be a great signing. I like Battle. But depth is always good. It seemed last year our secondary was bare bones all year and it would be nice to have a stocked cupboard back there with depth and experience. 

With how Tycen Anderson cannot stay healthy, Vonn would be nice to be brought back as depth and as a leader.

I just don't know if Vonn would be willing to be a depth player, as I don't think we should bench Battle after his pretty stellar rookie campaign.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Don't forget Boyd & Chido.

5 starter level guys. 

I think considering age and performance, we are down 2 starters. Reader and Jonah. Chido started 50% of the time in 2023 and Boyd is a 3rd down WR who had a bad year in my opinion. 

Long way to go, but I like our 2 rookie WR's and feel confident they can replace Boyd. I do think we draft a WR or sign Boyd back or another slot receiver maybe Irvin.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals tweet was over not being able to confirm the news already out. FA "beginning" at 4 is an old school train of thought. Truth is it's long over for most clubs (the heavy lifting). Now is the 1 year prove it / vet min deals we'd typically see in April / May 5 years ago.

So I was wrong and all the negative people were right?

We are just going to have massive holes at RT and DT?

This would be the worst FA ever in the Burrow era if this is the case. Mellow
Reply/Quote