Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals (/Thread-Trent-Brown-signs-1-year-deal-with-the-Bengals)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 05:30 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think they miss because they are the Bengals. I think they overthink it or try to outsmart the room.

The Ravens traded their starting RT for draft picks. I can see them jumping Cincinnati & taking the guy the Bengals are eying. Hey, at least the off-seasons are interesting if you're a Bengals fan. Some of these other teams are just disasters.

They drafted Faalele (spelling?) last year at RT. So theyvdo not necessarily have to trade uo for RT. There is one in house. Now, who knows how much they like him. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - pulses - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is just my opinion, man. 

No more or less valid than yours or anyone else's. 

I do feel strongly about Reader and the FO's reluctance to maximize cap space, though. 
The bengals FO must have felt like they didn't wanna pay what it was gonna take and it's their choice.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I assume that's because you're talking about his 5th year option being in 2025, correct?
If so, his 5th year option is still ~$22 mill because he's been so productive through his career, IIRC.
So for all intents and purposes, he becomes expensive starting next year.

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

He is already at $9.8 mil. It is a jump, but not a huge one, like Higgins was this year (+$18 mil) or Burrow will be next (+$26 mil). 

Most in the know folks seem to think the cap will go up a ton again. And, we can restructure guys to save a ton if the FO would remove heads from arses (Burrow around $20 mil, Brown etc). 

Higgins could be gone. Karras & Hilton & BJ Hill will be on their last year this year. Trent Brown as well. Pratt? A few guys with significant salary will go. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Luvnit2 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They drafted Faalele (spelling?) last year at RT. So theyvdo not necessarily have to trade uo for RT. There is one in house. Now, who knows how much they like him. 

Ravens are going to trust a second year guy over Moses with zero starts in the NFL. Was it because they think the guy is better or Moses was a cap casualty.

Either way, Ravens are going to have 3 different OL starters in 2024. Simpson and Zeitler signed elsewhere. 

(03-19-2024, 07:34 PM)pulses Wrote: The bengals FO must have felt like they didn't wanna pay what it was gonna take and it's their choice.

???? No one is saying it isn't their decision. Duh. 

What I am saying is I think the decision was dumb. And that is my choice. 

You can disagree. That's your choice. 

Isn't this wonderful?

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - SunsetBengal - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ravens are going to trust a second year guy over Moses with zero starts in the NFL. Was it because they think the guy is better or Moses was a cap casualty.

Either way, Ravens are going to have 3 different OL starters in 2024. Simpson and Zeitler signed elsewhere. 

I feel comfortable in say that the Ravens likely aren't worried about it.  There is one ugly truth that we all need to acknowledge, all three of our division rivals have this "draft and develop" thing down pat, especially as it applies to OL and defenders.  More of us need to question as to why our team struggles so much with that aspect of being a franchise.

(03-19-2024, 07:37 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He is already at $9.8 mil. It is a jump, but not a huge one, like Higgins was this year (+$18 mil) or Burrow will be next (+$26 mil). 

Most in the know folks seem to think the cap will go up a ton again. And, we can restructure guys to save a ton if the FO would remove heads from arses (Burrow around $20 mil, Brown etc). 

Higgins could be gone. Karras & Hilton & BJ Hill will be on their last year this year. Trent Brown as well. Pratt? A few guys with significant salary will go. 

We have a ton of cap space in 2025, Pratt is signed for 2025 so not sure why you listed him

I fail to understand why you choose to dismiss every guy on the roster who is currently a backup. Young guys take time to develop. We had rookies starting for years on very bad teams. Now we have a good team, and rookies and 2nd year players have time to learn and get better. I like Yoshi, I like Jones in the slot. I feel Murphy will get better with experience and age. 

We get it, you think our FO is stupid and you have the answers.  Sarcasm

(03-19-2024, 07:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ravens are going to trust a second year guy over Moses with zero starts in the NFL. Was it because they think the guy is better or Moses was a cap casualty.

I have no idea their thinking on RT. As you say, they did get some draft capital for Moses. Maybe they do move up and snag a RT in front of us. But they sent out 135 and got 113 and a 6th back. Gonna need more than a 4th to move up 10+ spots in the first. 

I liked Faalele and Dawand Jones last year and remember being bummed when we took Battle in the 3rd after trading down & they both were on the board. Battle ended up being our best rookie. Shows you what I know. 

But Jones played 712 snaps and gave up 3 sacks & 2 penalties for the Browns. 64.7 PFF. 

Faalele played under 200 snaps & gave up 3 sacks. 49.0 PFF. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Frank Booth - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I have no idea their thinking on RT. As you say, they did get some draft capital for Moses. Maybe they do move up and snag a RT in front of us. But they sent out 135 and got 113 and a 6th back. Gonna need more than a 4th to move up 10+ spots in the first. 

I liked Faalele and Dawand Jones last year and remember being bummed when we took Battle in the 3rd after trading down & they both were on the board. Battle ended up being our best rookie. Shows you what I know. 

But Jones played 712 snaps and gave up 3 sacks & 2 penalties for the Browns. 64.7 PFF. 

Faalele played under 200 snaps & gave up 3 sacks. 49.0 PFF. 

you think Jones would flourish here like he did with Bill Callahan in Cleveland? I can already tell you, no. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - bengalsboy - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 04:15 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No, I just think you judge decisions based on the info you have at the time the decision is made. Not how it turns out later. 

Hitting on 19 is dumb, regardless if you get a 2 or not. 

Not bringing Reader back for $5.8 and/or not restructuring Brown to save over $4 mil was dumb. Period. 

We can still be a good team either way. Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson + the other moves and players we have. 

But did we fumble a chance to be better? Absolutely. 

I don't need to wait to know that. 
I get why they did not bring back Reader.He's injured and who knows when or if,he will be the player he was.Rankins is a good DT.Ask the Bengals interior off line.As for restructuring Brown.They didn't need to do that.because,they still had plenty of cap room.

(03-19-2024, 07:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We have a ton of cap space in 2025, Pratt is signed for 2025 so not sure why you listed him

I fail to understand why you choose to dismiss every guy on the roster who is currently a backup. Young guys take time to develop. We had rookies starting for years on very bad teams. Now we have a good team, and rookies and 2nd year players have time to learn and get better. I like Yoshi, I like Jones in the slot. I feel Murphy will get better with experience and age. 

We get it, you think our FO is stupid and you have the answers.  Sarcasm

This post is mostly BS. I don't dismiss Yoshi or Jones. Nor Murphy. Find me a post where I do. I dare you. 

Now, I don't think Yoshi or Jones has proven themselves ready to start. But I was ecstatic with both picks and still am. Given what was left on the board, I liked the Murphy pick and fully understood he was raw and will take some time.

Nor do I think the FO is stupid. They just made 2 dumb decisions. See the difference? You can see the difference, right? 

I'd certainly appreciate you not putting words in my mouth or lying about things I have/have not said. Why don't you stick to what you think or asking others what they think instead of trying to misrepresent what others post?

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - casear2727 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is just my opinion, man. 

No more or less valid than yours or anyone else's. 

I do feel strongly about Reader and the FO's reluctance to maximize cap space, though. 

As to the 1st round choice & Trent Brown, Im not sure what anyone expects the guy to say when asked if he is worried about the Bengals drafting an OT in the 1st?  He said what I hope every good athlete would say, "doesnt bother him in the least".   I didnt see anything cryptic? 

I do agree with Reader, my issue is likely much more personal, but I would love to have had him back.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Go Cards - 03-19-2024

Happy with this signing and glad it is a one year prove it deal as well.

It keeps their options open more in the draft with only glaring need being a DT.

(03-19-2024, 08:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This post is mostly BS. I don't dismiss Yoshi or Jones. Nor Murphy. Find me a post where I do. I dare you. 

Now, I don't think Yoshi or Jones has proven themselves ready to start. But I was ecstatic with both picks and still am. Given what was left on the board, I liked the Murphy pick and fully understood he was raw and will take some time.

Nor do I think the FO is stupid. They just made 2 dumb decisions. See the difference? You can see the difference, right? 

I'd certainly appreciate you not putting words in my mouth or lying about things I have/have not said. Why don't you stick to what you think or asking others what they think instead of trying to misrepresent what others post?

I think you think you are smarter than our FO. I don't. I have never seen you post anything about players on the roster to progress. The reality is if they don't, we are not going to be a great team. I think some will progress, you never address it your scenarios.

My opinion, others may differ or agree with me.

Great to have free speech. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - bfine32 - 03-19-2024

Trent wears #77. Has anyone worn that since Whit?

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Soonerpeace - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:17 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Happy with this signing and glad it is a one year prove it deal as well.

It keeps their options open more in the draft with only glaring need being a DT.
I’ve tried and tried to make sure everybody knows without the least bit shadow of doubt. Sheldon Rankins is now the fifth highest paid Bengal and B J Hill is sixth. They are your starting tackles. End of story. So they aren’t looking at a starter there. Doesn’t mean they don’t pick up a rotational player still in FA or the draft. Now that they have Trent Brown they can go with the BPA which was their goal ( and always heading into the draft) I wouldn’t rule out an OT, WR, DT, or CB.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - hollodero - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trent wears #77. Has anyone worn that since Whit?

[Image: 1244596696.jpg]

[Image: 1016955926.jpg.0.jpg]

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Frank Booth - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: [Image: 1244596696.jpg]

[Image: 1016955926.jpg.0.jpg]

not good, jim

(03-19-2024, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel comfortable in say that the Ravens likely aren't worried about it.  There is one ugly truth that we all need to acknowledge, all three of our division rivals have this "draft and develop" thing down pat, especially as it applies to OL and defenders.  More of us need to question as to why our team struggles so much with that aspect of being a franchise.

Why? We have zero control on the development of players and draft picks.

I will play along, we need to better in the future with the selection and development of every draft choice, regardless of the round they are picked. 

Same for Ravens, we have no control on their 2024 OL. But we have seen how hard it can be to get an OL in sync. I believe you were a former OL, so you would no better than me.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - PDub80 - 03-19-2024

(03-19-2024, 07:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: They drafted Faalele (spelling?) last year at RT. So theyvdo not necessarily have to trade uo for RT. There is one in house. Now, who knows how much they like him. 

Know thy enemy. Nice!